Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 9th June 2017, 17:28     #40721
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
Aussie train: Being noisy at night just sit right.

Kiwis: pffffffffffft
*aint. damn autocorrect
Old 10th June 2017, 15:46     #40722
Cyberbob

What's the ideal use case for SSD these days? As an OS drive? As a pure swap/scratch drive? As a Game Of The Week drive?
Old 10th June 2017, 16:00     #40723
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

As an OS, application and game drive (everything you use regularly).

~250GB is the minimum I bother with these days. You can get by with 120GB, but after a few VMs, ISOs and a couple of games things feel cramped.

I try not to bother with spinning disks anymore. You really notice how slow (and noisy!) they are once they spin down. The next time a File Open dialog box or similar pops up, things pause for a few moments. A good way to get around this is to have an external USB data drive for movies and big infrequent shit so that you can unmount/disconnect when you're not using it and you don't suffer the lag. Even better is to have it on the network so you don't need to keep a drive mapped, but it's still accessible without fucking around with cables.
Old 10th June 2017, 23:02     #40724
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
As an OS, application and game drive (everything you use regularly).

~250GB is the minimum I bother with these days. You can get by with 120GB, but after a few VMs, ISOs and a couple of games things feel cramped.

I try not to bother with spinning disks anymore. You really notice how slow (and noisy!) they are once they spin down. The next time a File Open dialog box or similar pops up, things pause for a few moments. A good way to get around this is to have an external USB data drive for movies and big infrequent shit so that you can unmount/disconnect when you're not using it and you don't suffer the lag. Even better is to have it on the network so you don't need to keep a drive mapped, but it's still accessible without fucking around with cables.
This ^

I run a 250GB SSD for OS, 512 SSD for games and anything I use regularly, and 4x4TB WD Red NAS edition disks (always on because spin up wait times suck) in Synology NAS for long term stores, backups, media etc. Works well
Old 11th June 2017, 08:13     #40725
fixed_truth

RIP Mayor West!
Old 12th June 2017, 11:48     #40726
crocos

I've got a 1TB SSD for pretty much everything except mass media which I've got on a multi-TB spinning disk

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 12th June 2017, 21:21     #40727
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

http://id2020summit.org/

Digital identity for everyone on the planet. Just need to tie it into biometrics and the financial system because what can possibly go wrong.
Old 14th June 2017, 21:34     #40728
Cyberbob

Data recovery from a SATA HDD that no longer appears in BIOS. Who have people used? THe head wasn't dropping and there's no scratching sounds, so i don't think there's any physical damage.

90% of the data on the disk is backed up, but 10% of the data is missing. I'm hoping to get someone to attempt to retrieve that 10%.

Any particular businesses I should hit up for some data recovery work?
Old 15th June 2017, 00:27     #40729
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
Data recovery from a SATA HDD that no longer appears in BIOS. Who have people used? THe head wasn't dropping and there's no scratching sounds, so i don't think there's any physical damage.

90% of the data on the disk is backed up, but 10% of the data is missing. I'm hoping to get someone to attempt to retrieve that 10%.

Any particular businesses I should hit up for some data recovery work?
Did you try the freezer trick, or is it already beyond that?
Old 15th June 2017, 00:43     #40730
Lightspeed

This London fire is horrifying. Terrorists must envy cunt landlords.
Old 15th June 2017, 10:51     #40731
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
Did you try the freezer trick, or is it already beyond that?
I would decide how important that 10% is. I wouldn't risk it.
I used computer forensics (http://www.datarecovery.co.nz/) a few years back.

I considered it expensive (I think about $750), but the files included a lot of photos/videos that had not been backup yet.

When I was looking, there were a few others around that were only a fraction of the price, but consisted in having to courier the drive down the country. I decided that with an already dodgy drive, I wouldnt risk that.

But if you do find one thats good, let me know. My media drive died a couple of weeks back. Its only recorded TV but it was great for my kids.

Last edited by blynk : 15th June 2017 at 10:53.
Old 16th June 2017, 16:45     #40732
fixed_truth

Why The Edge's cruel and callous treatment of their Mediaworks' mate Simon Barnett is the final straw
Quote:
Listening to the "nicest guy on radio" first pouring all his fanboy enthusiasm into the on-air chat of a lifetime, only to have it cruelly exposed as a hoax at the very end was rage and tear-inducing radio. I was driving my daughter to school –tears of anger streaming down my face. I then struggled to hold it together while recounting it to my wife minutes later.
Oh ffs. It was a fake Tom Cruise interview prank.

Rough Night: The trouble with equality is I don't want to be equal to that
Quote:
The joke this film hangs off is one about killing a stripper. Do I really need to highlight why this "joke" is inappropriate, dehumanising, vile, dangerous and straight up wrong? I don't think I do.

Or maybe I do? Bottom line: It's not cool to make jokes about people being killed, when that group of people are routinely vilified by society, the victims of violent crime, and end up dead with appalling frequency.

Did someone honestly think they could make a movie in which a stripper gets killed during a private party, and play it for laughs?
More oh ffs. It was a male stripper who was accidentally killed by a big girl landing on him.
Old 17th June 2017, 09:55     #40733
MadMax
Stuff

http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org...idge-freezers/

https://mobile.twitter.com/SadiqKhan...898626/photo/2

Did Samsung strike again?
Old 17th June 2017, 11:38     #40734
CCS
Stunt Pants

And you're certain that is the model of fridge in question because...?

And the relevance of the Mayor's letter to the Prime Minister is... what?
Old 17th June 2017, 13:01     #40735
[Malks] Pixie

He's not certain, there is no link between the letter and what he wrote, he's just a moron. But I'm pretty certain we've all worked that out by now. It's just a pity that he hasn't worked it out and realised that he should just shut the fuck up and stop demonstrating his total and utter lack of intelligence to the world.

I live in (probably misplaced) hope that one day he'll work it out.
Old 17th June 2017, 13:13     #40736
CCS
Stunt Pants

Stupid people don't realise they're stupid.

Autistic people sometimes realise they're autistic, depending on where on the spectrum they are.

I think BadMax might be a combination of stupid and a bit autistic.
Old 17th June 2017, 14:38     #40737
Lightspeed

Both of you aren't without your own edges. Are you so wounded by MM that you need to take issue with them? Or are you cunts?
Old 17th June 2017, 14:52     #40738
MadMax
Stuff

They're cunts.

And Samsung lovers. Mind you, I'm a Samsung hater.

The letter is asking to "... strengthen standards and recall processes around white goods, given the fire risk they can present."

Last edited by MadMax : 17th June 2017 at 14:57.
Old 17th June 2017, 15:03     #40739
MadMax
Stuff

quite likely

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ting-fire.html

Last edited by MadMax : 17th June 2017 at 15:07.
Old 17th June 2017, 16:26     #40740
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Both of you aren't without your own edges. Are you so wounded by MM that you need to take issue with them? Or are you cunts?
Why do I need to be wounded to point out BadMax is dumb as fuck?
Old 17th June 2017, 16:28     #40741
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
WHOA, THE DAILY MAIL SAID IT?! Must be true!

The ideal place to put that link would have been in your first post. It's called context.

I've still no idea what the fuck is the point of your link to the Mayor's twitter message. Is it just something nice that you thought people might like to see?
Old 17th June 2017, 22:31     #40742
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Why do I need to be wounded to point out BadMax is dumb as fuck?
You'll note wounding is only one of the potential motivators I suggested as cause for taking issue with MM.
Old 28th September 2017, 14:22     #40743
Lightspeed

There was a new Strong Bad email while we were away.
Old 28th September 2017, 16:30     #40744
xor

*click to enable flash player* naaaaaah
Old 28th September 2017, 16:34     #40745
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

but... how else can you experience zombo.com?
Old 29th September 2017, 06:41     #40746
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Old 29th September 2017, 13:22     #40747
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

http://metro.co.uk/2017/09/27/men-at...8/?ito=twitter
Old 29th September 2017, 13:55     #40748
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Well now. That was a waste of spending money on therapy.

Old 29th September 2017, 15:19     #40749
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

THE UNATTAINABLE IS UNKNOWN AT ZOMBO COM.
Old 29th September 2017, 16:30     #40750
chiQ
Frag-muff

Moo0r
Old 3rd October 2017, 12:25     #40751
ZoSo

Breakdown honey take me through the night.
Old 3rd October 2017, 13:18     #40752
CCS
Stunt Pants

Someone in Vegas really didn't like Country music.
Old 4th October 2017, 12:37     #40753
crocos

PSA: Use Brokers.

Insurance, deposits, mortgages, whatever. Go through a broker; brokers ALWAYS get at least as good a deal as you can doing it yourself.

This message brought to you by shit I have seen time and again.

Old 6th October 2017, 12:18     #40754
chiQ
Frag-muff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Someone in Vegas really didn't like Country music.

Apparently he really did. He originally set up for some outdoor concert Lorde and others were playing, but he couldn't get a room with a decent line on it, so he switched to the country festival.
Old 8th October 2017, 15:24     #40755
Fx.

SceneAccess
10.10.2006 — 10.09.2017

god we're getting old and everything we knew is dying
Old 10th October 2017, 12:25     #40756
[fe]

Having no living grandparents/parents is a bit surreal. It feels like your childhood has been sheared off and there is this gaping abyss taking its place. Top of the tree. (Nothing recent, just a random getting old thought)
Old 10th October 2017, 14:51     #40757
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Yeah, I remember posting something to that effect here back in the day when I realised it about myself. My tree is now losing its tall side branches as well -
three of my parents' siblings have died in the past 3 months.
Old 10th October 2017, 16:21     #40758
chiQ
Frag-muff

Both of my parents are really fit and youthful for their ages, and my step-father is only a few years older than me, so I forget that they're what would be called elderly to anyone else. I lost my past grandparent about five years ago.

I've only lost one side-branch though, and he was an alcoholic and very unfit.
Old 10th October 2017, 17:46     #40759
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Yeah, I remember posting something to that effect here back in the day when I realised it about myself. My tree is now losing its tall side branches as well -
three of my parents' siblings have died in the past 3 months.
You're next.

Enjoy your day
Old 12th October 2017, 19:23     #40760
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by [fe]
Having no living grandparents/parents is a bit surreal. It feels like your childhood has been sheared off and there is this gaping abyss taking its place. Top of the tree. (Nothing recent, just a random getting old thought)
Dad's father died before I was born, and Mum's parents I never really knew as they were in Aussie, so basically strangers. They're all dead. Dad's mum died about 4 years ago and I was really out of it for ages, this constant in my life suddenly gone. After the grieving, it was bizarre.