NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 3rd August 2023, 17:22     #4481
blynk

GotG was such a stupid movie. I don't go into these types of movies and expect to end up balling like a baby.

Even End Game, the culmination of everything, with the death of IM, I was like blah, what evs.
Vol3, someone must have been nearby cutting onions within the first 5 minutes of the movie.
Old 3rd August 2023, 17:35     #4482
Lightspeed

Yeah, I resented the level of trauma in GotG3. I get that's the vibe of the series, but it just seemed over the top.
Old 9th August 2023, 13:51     #4483
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Yeah I think James Gunn has got some issues and has been using us all as therapy for the past, what, 11 years?

Anyway, Oppenheimer. Went to see it on the big screen last night. Hoo boy, not at all what I expected, but I should have expected that what with Christopher Nolan's name on the box.

Massive star-studded ensemble cast and everyone brought their A game. Everyone stole every scene that they were in. Robert Downey Jr, holy fuck. Emily Blunt, jesus. Casey Affleck dominated every moment he was on the screen, which was, like, 30 seconds. Multiple overlapping timelines with different POVs and cinematography. And just this overwhelming feeling of mental illness hanging over everything. Paranoia, dread, grief, suicide, resentment, depression. Just psychic torture jumping out of the screen for 3 hours. It was draining as fuck. And amazing.
Old 9th August 2023, 20:02     #4484
wazza
*flex*

Got around to watching Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse. ho-ly that was incredible.
Old 11th August 2023, 15:15     #4485
wazza
*flex*

the reward for watching No Hard Feelings is a full on nudity beach fight with 3 men(they're fully clothed, actually it's 2 men and female) starring Jennifer Lawrence, roughly 36-37mins in to the flick. i don't recall seeing that much graphical nudity by such a famous female lead, ever.
Old 11th August 2023, 17:52     #4486
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazza
the reward for watching No Hard Feelings is a full on nudity beach fight with 3 men(they're fully clothed, actually it's 2 men and female) starring Jennifer Lawrence, roughly 36-37mins in to the flick. i don't recall seeing that much graphical nudity by such a famous female lead, ever.
She probably figured most of the world has seen her naked since The Fappening anyway.
Old 12th August 2023, 12:48     #4487
Savage

Gran Turismo was kinda cool; cheesy but enjoyed the game references mixed in. 6/10. Buzzy that it's based on a real story.
Old 12th August 2023, 12:59     #4488
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
Buzzy that it's based on a real story.
lolz, that dude must have been stoked to find out he was being played by Orlando Bloom.
Old 13th August 2023, 17:45     #4489
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
She was pretty nude in Red Sparrow from memory.
Old 15th August 2023, 20:20     #4490
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Anyway, Oppenheimer. Went to see it on the big screen last night. Hoo boy, not at all what I expected, but I should have expected that what with Christopher Nolan's name on the box.
For some reason I thought the score was Hans Zimmer. Put the local IMAX sound system thru its paces.

I didn't find it so torturous, but I went in with Ab's warning.

Could have used more Quaid as Feynman. Love they included his bongos.

Great movie.
Old 26th September 2023, 14:15     #4491
Lightspeed

I like this list of things because it complains about Alien 3:

The 50 Worst Decisions in Movie History
Old 27th September 2023, 06:16     #4492
StN
I have detailed files

Flash

I've had mixed feelings about watching certain media over the years - really just issues separating the art from the artist. To the point that I was uncomfortable watching Jeffrey Jones in Deadwood after the PeeWee pedo allegations.

And then we have young Ezra. I bit the bullet and watched it last night, and I have to say (apart from being strangely really low on audio levels?? Maybe it was the heatpump and dishwasher muffling the low end) it held its own. The cameos were sweet - even Tem got a look in. The addition of the much talked about Cage as Superman fighting giant spiders had some uncanny valley. Hits hard with the losing the parents theme, and ends with a scene that ties stuff up nicely - no need for any more Ezra in the DC standard universe.

The elephant in the room was Val Kilmer - but perhaps that went the same way as Danny De Vito in "Man on the Moon" - he didn't attend Andy's funeral as the actor in Taxi, but as the character in the film. Perhaps Val was sideways referenced as one of the "gay volleyball boys" in that Kevin Bacon classic "Topgun". Eric Stoltz must be pissed!
Old 27th September 2023, 07:00     #4493
wazza
*flex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
I've had mixed feelings about watching certain media over the years - really just issues separating the art from the artist. To the point that I was uncomfortable watching Jeffrey Jones in Deadwood after the PeeWee pedo allegations.

And then we have young Ezra. I bit the bullet and watched it last night, and I have to say (apart from being strangely really low on audio levels?? Maybe it was the heatpump and dishwasher muffling the low end) it held its own. The cameos were sweet - even Tem got a look in. The addition of the much talked about Cage as Superman fighting giant spiders had some uncanny valley. Hits hard with the losing the parents theme, and ends with a scene that ties stuff up nicely - no need for any more Ezra in the DC standard universe.

The elephant in the room was Val Kilmer - but perhaps that went the same way as Danny De Vito in "Man on the Moon" - he didn't attend Andy's funeral as the actor in Taxi, but as the character in the film. Perhaps Val was sideways referenced as one of the "gay volleyball boys" in that Kevin Bacon classic "Topgun". Eric Stoltz must be pissed!
yeah, i watched it twice. nearly cried seeing Christopher Reeve, best ever. <3'd Richard Donner cut.
Old 27th September 2023, 10:45     #4494
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
I like this list of things because it complains about Alien 3:

The 50 Worst Decisions in Movie History
Good list but terrible ordering. Will Smith slap (which wasn't even a movie decision) ranks higher than Twilight Zone kids getting decapitated? I don't think so.
Old 29th September 2023, 18:06     #4495
Savage

The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar is an unusual combination of film and stage with some heavy weight names in it. I'm a big RD fan and this has always been one of my favourite stories. The film style is a bit odd but still quite enjoyed it (maybe due mostly to nostalgia).

7/10
Old 29th September 2023, 21:32     #4496
Cyberbob

I just watched Henry Sugar too and thought it was amazing. Short, intense, never outstayed its welcome. Solid 9/10

Would love to have it as a film study for school. So much to unpack.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 29th September 2023 at 21:33.
Old 2nd October 2023, 08:06     #4497
wazza
*flex*

Really enjoyed Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One
Old 2nd October 2023, 20:03     #4498
Savage

Strays - typical Will Ferrell fare, but still amusing. Not really child friendly due to an impressive number of "fucks".

A couple of actual lols (especially the dick biting scene); 6.5/10.
Old 2nd October 2023, 22:38     #4499
Savage

I forget where I saw it mentioned, but just finished Coherence (2013). Very well done, really enjoyed it, 7/10
Old 2nd November 2023, 11:43     #4500
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Marvel: (announces Blade)

Us: yay!

Nek minit: “ (Blade) has gone through at least five writers, two directors and one shutdown six weeks before production. One person familiar with the script permutations says the story at one point morphed into a narrative led by women and filled with life lessons. Blade was relegated to the fourth lead”

Us: what

https://variety.com/2023/film/featur...ng-1235774940/
Old 2nd November 2023, 13:53     #4501
Cyberbob

I wouldn't complain with a shot for shot recreation of the Wesley Snipes movie.

I don't remember the last time a Marvel movie met my expectations, but it hasn't been in the last 4 years. No Way Home maybe.
I'm also not expecting The Marvels to change that.
Old 2nd November 2023, 14:02     #4502
Lightspeed

I couldn't stand No Way Home. I was too put off by the age disparity between the actors and the characters they played. Especially Jacob Batalon.

End Game is still the best cinematic experience I've had tho. Never been in a movie before where the audience was so engaged with the screen.
Old 2nd November 2023, 14:07     #4503
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
I wouldn't complain with a shot for shot recreation of the Wesley Snipes movie.

I don't remember the last time a Marvel movie met my expectations, but it hasn't been in the last 4 years. No Way Home maybe.
I'm also not expecting The Marvels to change that.
Remember when Ayer's "Suicide Squad" was looking like it would be a dark gritty adult movie and then all of a sudden it was an ensemble comedy because someone at head office panicked? Looks like exactly the same thing is happening in reverse to The Marvels. At first the marketing was all goofy girl comedy with a diversity-quota ensemble cast but everything I've seen in the past week has been "(scary Nick Fury voiceover) (Captain Marvel fucking shit up) (explosion) (fight scene) (Captain Marvel fucking more shit up)". All of a sudden it's being marketed like a 2013 Avengers superhero flick.
Old 2nd November 2023, 14:46     #4504
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Remember when Ayer's "Suicide Squad" was looking like it would be a dark gritty adult movie and then all of a sudden it was an ensemble comedy because someone at head office panicked.
It's actually amazing to take a look at where Suicide Squad was heading before Deadpool came out. It's so far removed from the Suicide Squad we ended up getting.

Suicide Squad - ComicCon First Look
Old 8th November 2023, 14:56     #4505
Lightspeed

Exclamation

Development of a Live-Action Film of The Legend of Zelda to Start

Quote:
Development of a Live-Action Film of The Legend of Zelda to Start

Nintendo Co., Ltd. (HQ: Kyoto Minami-ku; Representative Director and President: Shuntaro Furukawa, "Nintendo" hereafter) today announced that it will develop a live-action film of The Legend of Zelda.

The film will be produced by Shigeru Miyamoto, Representative Director and Fellow of Nintendo and Avi Arad, Chairman of Arad Productions Inc., who has produced many mega hit films.
Old 13th November 2023, 14:24     #4506
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

The Marvels: bombing even harder than The Flash

‘The Marvels’ Meltdown: Disney MCU Posts Lowest B.O. Opening Ever At $47M — What Went Wrong
Old 15th November 2023, 08:08     #4507
wazza
*flex*

I thought The Creator was worth the watch

Old 15th November 2023, 21:11     #4508
kRAdENkO

Quote:
I thought The Creator was worth the watch
Yeah, it was a visual treat, story was a bit meh though.

Last edited by kRAdENkO : 15th November 2023 at 21:14.
Old 22nd November 2023, 19:43     #4509
Lightspeed

The Accountant is a load of great actors in mediocre roles. And Ben Affleck.
Old 23rd November 2023, 10:51     #4510
StN
I have detailed files

Asteroid City is a bit weird.

From the trailers, I thought it was a 1950's sciencefair-in-the-desert thing.

It is, but it's a film of a play about a meeting of characters. Lots of stars, like Cranston the narrator, by very nature breaking the fourth wall. On a meta level when he looks to his left and asks the characters if he is in this scene, and when told no, slides out of shot.

Typical Wes Anderson. Not awesome, not complete shit. Just weird.

Jeff Goldblum as the actor playing the alien - only on screen as a background character!
Old 3rd December 2023, 17:52     #4511
Lightspeed

This could be cool:

GODZILLA MINUS ONE | Final Trailer (NEW 2023)
Old 19th December 2023, 12:08     #4512
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Has Sarah Halley Finn made her first fumble?

https://thedirect.com/article/avenge...arrest-accused
Marvel dumps Majors

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/j...ng-1235587971/
Old 21st December 2023, 01:24     #4513
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kRAdENkO
Yeah, it was a visual treat, story was a bit meh though.
Perfect summary
Old 28th December 2023, 14:56     #4514
[fe]

Two movies I enjoyed recently, but plenty found slow and dull were The Northman and The Green Knight have watched the latter a couple of times.

Also all the James Bond movies are on prime so busy making my way though. Hadn’t seen the later Connerys and the early Roger Moores are quite good! Starting to ramp up the camp tho.
Old 28th December 2023, 15:16     #4515
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by [fe]
The Green Knight
I watched this blazed with some friends, we all found it riveting. Gorgeous in 4k too.
Old 30th December 2023, 15:23     #4516
_Incubus_

Rebel Moon, great visuals. Aside from that a fairly standard seven samurai in space movie.

Not bad, not great either...
Old 4th January 2024, 14:56     #4517
StN
I have detailed files

Ferrari

Wow. Adam driver has range - I had no idea it was him until my son pointed it out - a 40 year old playing most of the movie as a 60yo.

A good biopic covering pretty much just 1957.

And the CGI at the end is disturbingly good (although some of the injuries are not accurately attributed between driver and navigator).

A lot of rooting. The in-depth Godfather type Italian interactions left me hanging out for some racing, but that came and all was forgiven.

We seemed to fit the demographic of the audience - a smattering of young chaps and the rest gray haired old men (a couple of wifes tagged along).
Old 5th January 2024, 18:04     #4518
Lightspeed

Lightyear was cool in that in included time dilation, which there isn't enough of in media. But it was let down by "iF i CAn tRaVeL fORwArd iN tiMe Why NoT TRaveL bAcKwARds".

And the weak ever present trope of the main character learning fundamental character traits by failing and coming to terms, rather than learning from the competent people supporting them.

I'm so over everyone in Hollywood being absolute thickos. We can't have competent characters that aren't magic. Any kind of competence stands out, like wow, a person can have abilities? Without genies or gods or cosmic powers? Like, naah, keep it believable Hollywood! Next you'll tell us rich people aren't better than the rest of us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Ferrari
I really like Adam Driver, not sure about rooty ructions tho. I just really don't get into much drama these days.
Old 25th January 2024, 10:38     #4519
crocos

Argyle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mgu9mNZ8Hk

Switch off your brain and enjoy

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 29th January 2024, 19:28     #4520
wazza
*flex*

watching James Bond for the first time, going through the Daniel Craig franchise. Pretty neat stuff.
I wonder what franchise I should watch after this. I've never seen the original Starwars trilogy, but I don't think they would've held up very well?