Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 17th February 2010, 19:01     #1561
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
Defining the term 'right' to mean something logically impossible i.e. something that can't exist, and then claiming that you can't have something because it doesn't exist; is just a tautology.
You're a fuckin' tautology.
Old 17th February 2010, 20:06     #1562
chubby

Laugh

also amusing- according to david.. poor people are stupid and lazy.... but dont you dare typify rich people as greedy and evil.

lol.
Old 17th February 2010, 20:09     #1563
Lightspeed

The thing with our society and in fact human nature, is anyone who is smart, sensible and a psychopath can do very, very well. And they do.

Not that I am saying that all or even many rich people are psychopaths. I'm just pointing out that lacking empathy can be a real advantage in our world. Which I think sucks.
Old 17th February 2010, 20:10     #1564
chubby

YUO=LAME

oh yeah, and the douche-bag of the month MUST be simon power.

good thing we finally got through the entirely left-wing habit of letting unqualified people (academics...) make decisions on things that they dont understand.
good thing we got through that whole 'nanny state telling me what to do' bullshit.
good thing we only legislate for rational reasons, not some stupid moral nonsense...
Old 17th February 2010, 22:17     #1565
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby
also amusing- according to david.. poor people are stupid and lazy.... but dont you dare typify rich people as greedy and evil.

lol.
Poor people are one of the two.

Stupid people can't work "smart", therefore aren't likely to work in skilled positions where money is better. They're also less likely to have good self management skills around their finance, they burn more on interest.

Lazy people don't work "smart", therefore they're less likely to work in skilled positions. Due to this and the fact that they usually work on the basis of convinience, they also burn more on interest on finance.

Unless you're a charity worker, in which case, again, I say you're stupid.
Old 17th February 2010, 22:19     #1566
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynos
See, here's your narrow-mindedness at work. Because I don't consider poor people to be stupid and lazy, I must therefore be poor.
Witnessing you ramble on about your employment situation and also the fact that you aren't being paid what you're worth to be in a job you consider you "enjoy" means I think you're stupid and therefore poor.
Old 18th February 2010, 09:59     #1567
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Lazy people don't work "smart", therefore they're less likely to work in skilled positions.
Except that any lazy person who doesn't work smart must also be stupid because otherwise they're not very good at being lazy.

Pixie
Old 18th February 2010, 10:13     #1568
Vrtigo
Marginal Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Teapot
I wonder which one of us is right?
oh let me guess!! that would be you, amirite?
Old 18th February 2010, 10:28     #1569
Cynos

Quote:
Witnessing you ramble on about your employment situation and also the fact that you aren't being paid what you're worth to be in a job you consider you "enjoy" means I think you're stupid and therefore poor.
Lol, learn to differentiate past tense. Case managers *aren't* paid what they're worth. And I didn't enjoy it. Which is why I taught myself to code and why I'm now a software developer, so fuck you and the assumptions you rode in on.

Last edited by Cynos : 18th February 2010 at 10:30.
Old 18th February 2010, 10:43     #1570
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynos
Lol, learn to differentiate past tense. Case managers *aren't* paid what they're worth. And I didn't enjoy it. Which is why I taught myself to code and why I'm now a software developer, so fuck you and the assumptions you rode in on.
Self taught software developer? Oooh, you must earn a grand total of 55k per annum.

Yes, like I said, you'll never be in a position of wealth to have any true understanding of wealth.
Old 18th February 2010, 10:57     #1571
Reformed_Quint

Quote:
Oooh, you must earn a grand total of 55k per annum.
Not a bad pay package, certainly not 'professional' level income, But definitely respectable.
Old 18th February 2010, 11:16     #1572
Crankshaw
Nasty Butler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed_Quint
Not a bad pay package, certainly not 'professional' level income, But definitely respectable.
While this number seems to be pulled out of no where, thanks to the power of spreadsheets I can say that 16.5% of the people in the IRD data ( 566k / 3.4mil ) have a (declared and taxable) income of $55k or greater. So I don't think it can be called low in the greater scheme of things, however it does highlight that 83.5% of people are paid less than that.
Old 18th February 2010, 11:31     #1573
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankshaw
While this number seems to be pulled out of no where, thanks to the power of spreadsheets I can say that 16.5% of the people in the IRD data ( 566k / 3.4mil ) have a (declared and taxable) income of $55k or greater. So I don't think it can be called low in the greater scheme of things, however it does highlight that 83.5% of people are paid less than that.
How many in that percentile call themselves "professionals" with "professional level income"?

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 18th February 2010, 11:35     #1574
gentle

Quote:
Self taught software developer? Oooh, you must earn a grand total of 55k per annum.

Yes, like I said, you'll never be in a position of wealth to have any true understanding of wealth.
Wealth isn't exactly the same as income. A business owner will pay themselves very little but still be wealthy.

I doubt you'll ever be be in position of true wealth to have any understanding of it either. At the moment you probably have an understanding of high income, but from my experience all that entails is some psuedo upper class display, like the purchase of an A4 audi or some other meaningless object.
Old 18th February 2010, 11:38     #1575
Lightspeed

Very angry

Bastards want to make me listen to ads while I listen to broadcast classical music!
Old 18th February 2010, 11:42     #1576
fixed_truth

I think David is a great exemplification of the adage about money & happiness.
Old 18th February 2010, 12:13     #1577
gentle

Quote:
I think David is a great exemplification of the adage about money & happiness.
What, that money can't buy you happiness but it sure helps?

How about; if money can't buy me happiness someone should at least give me the opportunity to prove them wrong. - can't remember who said that sorry.
Old 18th February 2010, 12:32     #1578
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentle
What, that money can't buy you happiness but it sure helps?
I prefer "Money can't buy you happiness but a lack of it sure can buy misery"

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 18th February 2010, 12:35     #1579
fixed_truth

I was thinking more along the lines of 'The only problems that money can solve are money problems'. Or 'Money often costs too much' is a goodie.
Old 18th February 2010, 12:48     #1580
David

Psycho analysis on the internet is serious business.

Confronting people with discussion is an easy way to learn about people and their point of view. Most people form point of views without any thought as to why they think that way, challenging it means they have to reflect on their rationale.

In the case of money buying happiness, depends if you're aware enough about your own interests. Self awareness allows money to buy happiness - me, I'm a superficial/materialistic bastard, the A8 in the garage, the wakeboarding boat and a watch that costs more than most people earn in a month make me happy.
Old 18th February 2010, 13:53     #1581
fixed_truth

Quote:
Confronting people with discussion is an easy way to learn about people and their point of view.
Imo, from your 'discussion' here it comes across that you are dissatisfied. A happy person isn't concerned with ensuring everyone knows that they have money, nor do they treat others less well off with contempt.
Old 18th February 2010, 13:57     #1582
David

Quote:
Imo, from your 'discussion' here it comes across that you are dissatisfied. A happy person isn't concerned with ensuring everyone knows that they have money, nor do they treat others less well off with contempt.
I'm glad to know you wouldn't generalise the way that all happy people act toward others, because otherwise, I'd think you were pulling both your point and your attempt at validating it directly from your ass.

oh.. wait.
Old 18th February 2010, 13:57     #1583
Thomas Meatball

Ah yes, typical Haydos. He is rich and he wants everyone to know it.

"I'm rich! LOVE ME! Please. Nobody else does. I'm not even sure that I love myself"
Old 18th February 2010, 13:58     #1584
Cynos

Quote:

Good guess. Bear in mind I've been a software developer for all of 18 months now. Before that I was on public sector salaries, so I'm very happy with increasing my income by 37.5% over a year and a half. But whatever.

I'm not really into internet pissing matches over how much I earn. I'm reasonably confident my earning capacity will increase significantly, but I don't feel the need to prove this to you. Let's just agree that your money makes you a better person than me, for a given value of better, and move on.

I do feel sorry for you - you seem to consider money to be the ultimate arbiter of a person's worth, which is so hopelessly shallow and wrongheaded that you're bound to spend most of your time generally miserable.

But still, you'll be miserable while wearing some nice shoes, so there's that.

Last edited by Cynos : 18th February 2010 at 14:00.
Old 18th February 2010, 13:59     #1585
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.
Old 18th February 2010, 13:59     #1586
David

Oh yes, it couldn't have anything to do with the fact that the bulk of this conversation is around wealth. God no.

CCS strikes again.. with the impotency of a 117 yr old Jewish eunuch.
Old 18th February 2010, 14:00     #1587
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.
If you aren't any of those things, why do so many work beyond the level they would need to in order to provide base level essentials for themselves? Most could probably clothe, feed and support themselves on fifteen hours a week.

We work the extra 25, why?
Old 18th February 2010, 14:13     #1588
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
If you aren't any of those things, why do so many work beyond the level they would need to in order to provide base level essentials for themselves? Most could probably clothe, feed and support themselves on fifteen hours a week.

Just to keep in theme:

God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact.
Old 18th February 2010, 14:15     #1589
David

That's George Carlin, isn't it? Or very close to sentiments he expressed in some of his shows.
Old 18th February 2010, 14:17     #1590
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Fight Club's Tyler Durden.
Old 18th February 2010, 14:24     #1591
Lightspeed

Quote:

We work the extra 25 because a system was intentionally put in place to keep us working those extra 25 hours. Consumerism isn't a natural outworking of the human experience. Men who understood who human motivation quite intentionally developed this system.
Old 18th February 2010, 14:30     #1592
Reformed_Quint

^^ I like that lightspeed.
Old 18th February 2010, 14:32     #1593
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
We work the extra 25 because a system was intentionally put in place to keep us working those extra 25 hours. Consumerism isn't a natural outworking of the human experience. Men who understood who human motivation quite intentionally developed this system.
Yet jobs exist and the ability to work lower hours exist, yet very few ever take this opportunity.

Why? Because it would be counterproductive to their goal in life - having a better clock radio than their neighbour.
Old 18th February 2010, 14:35     #1594
Reformed_Quint

Quote:
Why?
Because we all have 20+ years of advertising rammed down our throats telling us exactly what you are trying to convince us of - We need more shit to make us happy.
Old 18th February 2010, 14:36     #1595
Lightspeed

Quote:
Yet jobs exist and the ability to work lower hours exist, yet very few ever take this opportunity.

Why? Because it would be counterproductive to their goal in life - having a better clock radio than their neighbour.
Which I'm sure has nothing to do with the fact that from cradle to grave we are bombarded with messages telling us stuff we can buy and why life will be better for it.

This is sarcasm. And I suspect the neighbour is only a secondary concern.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 18th February 2010 at 14:37. Reason: What RQ said.
Old 18th February 2010, 14:38     #1596
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Didn't you recently spend about $1000 for a cat? Just sayin
Old 18th February 2010, 14:46     #1597
Lightspeed

Now that is an excellent point. I think it's commonly perceived that to oppose something you have to stand apart from it. But like everyone else, I am a product of this society and system. I hate it, even while I am a part of it.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 18th February 2010 at 14:49.
Old 18th February 2010, 14:59     #1598
crocos

Quote:
LOL whut?

You don't need to be pleasant to be happy. Indeed some people derive enjoyment from architecting other people's misery.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 18th February 2010, 15:00     #1599
Lightspeed

CCS being a prime example. Too bad he's as much of an architect as is George Costanza.
Old 18th February 2010, 15:05     #1600
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju
If people weren't rewarded for putting in years of study, practice and hard work, then they wouldn't do it would they? Sure there are some people who would do their job for free because they love it so much, but they are the exception. You say that I'm convinced that this is the only way, yet have not offered any different scenarios to discuss? Give me some scenarios that you think would be "better" and I'll be happy to debate.

Where did I say that striving to better one self financially by climbing the income ladder would equal one not caring about their role in society? Rich people can and often are philanthropists. Just because they have the lions share of wealth, does not mean they do not care about society.

I'm not convinced that any other point is ludicrous. What I think is ludicrous is that you think skill should not be a factor in ones remuneration. It's... odd.
If we are not rewarded for gaining a skill, why the hell would you bother? How on earth would humans advance as a race with no incentive?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladin
Didn't you recently spend about $1000 for a cat? Just sayin
Hi and welcome to the world of consumerism ls, can I sell you this can of coke?