NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 9th October 2019, 22:37     #36161
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

I take it you're donating to the "pay the prize money that he deserves" fund?

Because obviously you feel strongly that he deserves prize money AND free speech, even though only one of those is a human right.
Old 10th October 2019, 12:01     #36162
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I have no idea what you’re trying to say.

In the meantime, I for one am now looking forward to Blizzcon 2019 with great interest. Because I had thought that Blizzcon 2018 could not be topped for trainwreck value.
Old 10th October 2019, 13:14     #36163
Lightspeed

Laugh

Those poor Blizzard staff... I suspect Blizzard might have a bit of turnover to deal with.
Old 10th October 2019, 16:12     #36164
crocos

People eating with their mouths open. Blech.

squidge-squidge-squidge-squidge-squidge, squidge-squidge-squidge-squidge-squidge <repeat x10,000>

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 10th October 2019, 19:33     #36165
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Blizzard has disabled the authentication methods required to close a Blizzard account.

https://reclaimthenet.org/blizzard-d...user-accounts/
Old 11th October 2019, 11:16     #36166
Juju
get to da choppa

Had a house inspection done to present to potential buyers of our house.

Was deemed moderate to high risk of serious structural failings due to the inspector not being able to access some areas.

Queried him. It was a points system. x points because couldnt get onto the roof, x points cause couldnt get far into roof space etc Fair enough. More points, higher the risk of site-unseen faults.

My wtf moment is some points were awarded because access to the sub-floor was prevented.

It's a concrete slab floor.

*sigh*
Old 13th October 2019, 20:48     #36167
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

In which Blizzard Entertainment issues a corporate press release about the fuckup and makes it worse because the corporate press release was obviously not written by a native English speaker which doesn't sound dodgy at all

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/bliz...ers-tournament
Old 13th October 2019, 21:29     #36168
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

The only weirdness of phrasing I picked up was the use of the word "prizing" which sounds like corporate speak (eg. learnings) than non-native English. What stood out to you?
Old 14th October 2019, 12:41     #36169
crocos

And for more lol: Bliz has tried to back-pedal by reducing the suspension and returning the prize money and saying it's nothing to do with what he said other than it was off-topic. Also claiming China had no influence.

Yeah fucking right.

Old 14th October 2019, 12:51     #36170
crocos

Not-edit edit:
Of course this is more the Kotaku interpretation of the press release Ab posted, plus some of the ranting in the comments.

Old 14th October 2019, 13:39     #36171
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
The only weirdness of phrasing I picked up was the use of the word "prizing" which sounds like corporate speak (eg. learnings) than non-native English. What stood out to you?
The obvious Engrish of "prizing" aside, look at what surrounds it:

Quote:
In the tournament itself blitzchung *played* fair. We now believe he should receive his prizing. We understand that for some this is not about the prize, and perhaps for others it is disrespectful to even discuss it. That is not our intention.
English writers don't structure sentences that way.

Check out the way the release veers between first person singular ("I"), first person plural ("we"), and third person singular ("Blizzard").

And check out this grammatical clusterfuck:

Quote:
When we think about the suspension, six months for blitzchung is more appropriate, after which time he can compete in the Hearthstone pro circuit again if he so chooses. There is a consequence for taking the conversation away from the purpose of the event and disrupting or derailing the broadcast.
No way a native English speaker wrote that. Especially not a professional public relations communicator (who also wouldn't use *asterisks* for emphasis).
Old 14th October 2019, 13:49     #36172
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
No way a native English speaker wrote that. Especially not a professional public relations communicator.
Going to disagree with you there - not that it's not a grammatical clusterfuck, but more that there are native English speakers that often do write in that stilted, awkward style - especially if stressed or pissed, that they don't write for others that often, or because EG a secretary or PR person usually polishes it.

I imagine Brack is both pissed and stressed.

Old 14th October 2019, 13:58     #36173
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
No way a native English speaker wrote that. Especially not a professional public relations communicator (who also wouldn't use *asterisks* for emphasis).
This is something that a lot of Reddit and Twitter has been theorycrafting about. It reads like someone putting it into English, and that was coming from people that were verified professional translators* specializing in Chinese to English.

*about as verified as Reddit gets, anyway.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 14th October 2019 at 13:59.
Old 14th October 2019, 14:08     #36174
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Going to disagree with you there - not that it's not a grammatical clusterfuck, but more that there are native English speakers that often do write in that stilted, awkward style - especially if stressed or pissed, that they don't write for others that often, or because EG a secretary or PR person usually polishes it.

I imagine Brack is both pissed and stressed.

Leaders of multibillion-dollar international companies at the centre of political shitstorms don't write and send their own press releases. There are PR people who write for a living who do that. The PR people who wrote this response are not native English speakers.
Old 14th October 2019, 23:23     #36175
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Commentary on the press release from former Blizzard bigwig Mark Kern:

https://twitter.com/Grummz/status/1183215204525412352

conclusion:

Quote:
Blizzard knew this would piss you off. They don't care, it's not FOR YOU. This was written to keep US senators off their backs and to keep China happy. It's a mewling justification to governments of both countries.
Old 15th October 2019, 09:19     #36176
Cyberbob

Kern's got a few monolithic chips on his shoulder, so he's not exactly impartial.

He's Taiwanese-American. He was team lead on WoW before leaving there to found Red 5 Studio, where he was kicked out of the CEO position by his own board.

That's bound to leave you a little bitter, especially bitter towards ex employers, and especially towards China.
Old 15th October 2019, 10:10     #36177
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Doesn't mean it's not on the money.
Old 17th October 2019, 18:47     #36178
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

It's taken 4 years, but at least we now know that yes... Lebron James really is a pussy-ass bitch.
Old 18th October 2019, 11:54     #36179
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Fiona was fine, no argument here.

I’ll never forget an interview she did on tv back in the day, got asked some “how did you get where you are, how did you achieve this thing, reach this point in your career” sort of question, and she replied “I sucked a lot of dick”.

On TVNZ. In the nineties. It was glorious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
It was the role of Pakita in the musical stage play of BrainDead. Although I remember it as an interview on TV3 nightline. But I could be wrong.

Makes her appearances in Tv One infomercials for Gladwrap (or something as banal) weird.
Grrr - it was April in 1990 when I found myself in Welly with a pile of cash from my 21st and the announcement that United Building Society were now providing a share brokerage service for Joe Public to rock up and start a portfolio.

TV3 shares were at $0.04 each - I thought I should spend all my monies on buying heaps. The man at the bank told me I was mad and to steer clear because CanWest had just pulled out and it would be gone in a few days.

So I didn't invest, and blew it all on beers at MidCity and Tiffanys during my six month stint in the capital. Oh, and the shares went up to $0.24 the next week.

I liked TV3.
Old 18th October 2019, 13:10     #36180
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Damn, thought this was going to be a Fiona update.

Yeah saw the 3 news this morning. Can't say I'm really surprised, broadcast TV is fucking dead and anyone owning a TV network is frantically trying to get out as fast as they can.*

3 has had some great moments over the years. Really gave TVNZ a kick up the bum when it arrived.

* HAHAHA EXCEPT FOR THE NZ GOVERNMENT
Old 19th October 2019, 00:17     #36181
Lightspeed

Capitalism, FML. Seriously, with all this wealth and fucking grandeur you think they'd let us proles have a decent corn chip.

But no! Because of fucking capitalism, local producers get bought out and shut down by intentional supplies shilling their trash, or they get bought out and the new owners degrade their product so they can maximise those returns. "OoOooh, just go fucking buy off a competitor! The market with sort things out"

NO IT FUCKING DOESNT THE CORN CHIPS JUST GET WORSE AND WORSE.

Debt or some other bullshit must be worth the shit food people put up with.
Old 19th October 2019, 00:19     #36182
Lightspeed

Oh yeah, Mexicano corn chips are now shit, FYI. All thin and weak, with generic flavourings. The "ideal for nachos" is now just a marketing brand or some shit, not a description.
Old 19th October 2019, 13:08     #36183
MadMax
Stuff

We had some at beer o clock last week and they were amazeballs. The plain ones are pretty gross however. I think it was some new cheese flavour we had?
Old 19th October 2019, 14:16     #36184
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I miss the old unflavoured oval Doritos. So rigid you could dig a hole in the garden with one.
Old 19th October 2019, 19:15     #36185
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

I've been munching those Mexicanos hard out - Salsa is my fave. I don't do Dorito's - I already drink Mountain Dew, I feel it would be playing into the stereotype too much.

Nachos is just a delivery mechanism for sour cream, cheese and jalapenos for me so I don't mind if they get a little big soggy - rather than stab the inside of my mouth with a broken corner.
Old 19th October 2019, 22:09     #36186
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
We had some at beer o clock last week and they were amazeballs. The plain ones are pretty gross however. I think it was some new cheese flavour we had?
Would you describe the chips as thick and hearty? Would they support a generous scoop of mince, cheese and salsa? None of this careful scooping either, just dig straight in.

It's possible that they're sending shit batches to Pak'n'Save GI. Cause brand owners can change shit up as much as they want, still call it the same thing.
Old 20th October 2019, 18:47     #36187
Nich

Mission - white tortilla strips.

https://www.missionfoods.com/product...ortilla-chips/

It's a robust dipping chip
Old 20th October 2019, 21:46     #36188
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Would you describe the chips as thick and hearty? Would they support a generous scoop of mince, cheese and salsa? None of this careful scooping either, just dig straight in.

It's possible that they're sending shit batches to Pak'n'Save GI. Cause brand owners can change shit up as much as they want, still call it the same thing.
i had some lime ones today, and they were pretty lack lustre. would not try again.
Old 21st October 2019, 09:17     #36189
Juju
get to da choppa

Quote:
Oh yeah, Mexicano corn chips are now shit, FYI. All thin and weak, with generic flavourings. The "ideal for nachos" is now just a marketing brand or some shit, not a description.
Jalepeno has been my crack for like 10 years, although havn't bought a bag in a few weeks - have they changed?
Old 21st October 2019, 15:00     #36190
MadMax
Stuff

I think I’ve been making my nachos wrong. I’ve always gone chips + cheese + microwave + nacho mince + cheese + another microwave for the cheese on top to melt. The chips lose their crunch however. I’ve since found you’re supposed to grill the cheese
Old 21st October 2019, 15:17     #36191
Lightspeed

Well that sounds horrifying.

I usually actually make a kind of taco salad rather than nachos with them. You can just make out the solid corn chip base:

The centre chips where the hot taco mince rests would last some time managing to absorb significant moisture before losing all support.
Old 21st October 2019, 18:28     #36192
crocos

Nachos you say?
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...nachos-3582107

Old 25th October 2019, 01:55     #36193
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

I hate how the average human doesn't stay awake 24 hrs a day. Lame cuntz. Thats what's /afk was invented for. Instead everyones like a fucking nana. Bring on that 2 degrees warming, it's fucking cold right now cuntz.
Old 25th October 2019, 11:26     #36194
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Rolling eyes

Fuck knows what I'm talking about. Drunk and bored obviously. Alcoholism GMG.
Old 25th October 2019, 19:04     #36195
MadMax
Stuff

i remember days like those. unemployed and playing qwtf 24/7

yes, there used almost always be at least a couple of others awake at all hours of the night on games3.clear.net.nz and if there weren't then i'd be playing SC/Dune2k/AOE/TransportTycoon/etc

Last edited by MadMax : 25th October 2019 at 19:05.
Old 25th October 2019, 21:51     #36196
Lightspeed

Sleep is my favourite part of life.
Old 30th October 2019, 19:58     #36197
Nich

Sydney work trips GMG. Fuck that place.

Oh and the follow up calls from Sydney consultants after the trip. Yes, I typed up my todo list and distributed it to you after our face to face. Don’t call me to waste my doing time with talking about doing.
Old 30th October 2019, 21:43     #36198
crocos

In a similar vein: On a multi-vendor engagement at the moment and the number of ridiculous meetings where we cover the same thing 5 times in the one meeting then cover all the same shit in the next meeting with a 90% overlap of people...

I attended a stand-up today. It had 7 people and took over an hour. That's... that's not a stand-up. I have run stand-ups for a team of 16 that took less than 15 minutes.

Old 2nd November 2019, 21:53     #36199
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich
Sydney work trips GMG. Fuck that place.

Oh and the follow up calls from Sydney consultants after the trip. Yes, I typed up my todo list and distributed it to you after our face to face. Don’t call me to waste my doing time with talking about doing.
That sounds infuriating. Both.
Old 6th November 2019, 23:47     #36200
Nich

Quote:
That sounds infuriating. Both.
It gets worse. I just got a call today:
"Oh so those invoices you sent. Look, we haven't won the work yet... so we've got to have a think about your invoices."

Fuck me, I'd love it if pursuing opportunities cost me nothing.