Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > ISP and Telco discussion
User Name
Password

Old 22nd September 2007, 21:09     #1
Sgt Seb
Up Unt At Dem!

Xtra uncapped...good or bad?

Ok I'm uncapped at the mo, even though I hit my limit for the month a few weeks ago. Just wondering, is it wise to download stuff while I'm uncapped? I am on the flatrate plan, but I'm not sure if xtra will savage me somehow for going over by too much?
Old 22nd September 2007, 21:29     #2
Solvent

Slightly confused by your post, but assuming you're on a plan with a download cap which slows you down once it's reached, go hard.

The whole point is that you don't incur extra charges but get slowed down, if Telecom 'forget' to slow you down then that's not your problem.

What charges can Telecom sting you with? You signed up for the plan so you wouldn't but would rather be slowed down.
Old 22nd September 2007, 21:57     #3
Sgt Seb
Up Unt At Dem!

That's what I figured. But you never know. They might break out some legal thing on me if I go over by TOO much. I thought this never happened anymore anyway. I remember back in the early days of jetstart adsl, that sometimes the connection would get uncapped...but I thought they would have 'fixed' this by now
Old 23rd September 2007, 03:41     #4
Brutus

Go Hard. Happened to me a few months ago with around 10days left on my plan. Nothing bad happened.
Old 23rd September 2007, 10:24     #5
Cereal Killar

Happened to me with Ihug the past two months. Haven't anything from them. My plan clearly stipulates 10 Gigs 'normal speeds' then throttled to 64k. Haven't seen any excess charges or the like.
Old 24th September 2007, 10:44     #6
Evilmonkey

Yep go hard, they can't do shit.
Old 24th September 2007, 12:23     #7
SAGE

Haha, yeah I remember being on the 2mbit 10GB throttle plan one month .. and my speed suddenly went fullrate.So I download as much as I can, as quickly as I can to squeeze the max. in before they slow me down... and then a week later I'm still running full rate, WELL over my cap (over 130GB).

Needless to say, I was ecstatic.. until one night we had a brown-out which reset my router, next day I was throttled. This didn't bother me too much though, since a day later was the start of a new billing period
Old 25th September 2007, 02:48     #8
Helious

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAGE
Haha, yeah I remember being on the 2mbit 10GB throttle plan one month .. and my speed suddenly went fullrate.So I download as much as I can, as quickly as I can to squeeze the max. in before they slow me down... and then a week later I'm still running full rate, WELL over my cap (over 130GB).
haha yeah~ I remember those days. When that would randomly happen. It was all about not rebooting(internal) or resetting your router(obviously).

re: Sgt Seb.

Go hard. Your billing cycle is your allocation. If you've hit it, which in the terms and conditions says you WILL(or might) be throttled and you're not -- cares bro. Couch those nigguhs.
Old 25th September 2007, 09:50     #9
wugambino
Electric Boogaloo

got a mega upload premium account for my misses cause she wanted to download anime .... 226GB for the month gg go large
Old 25th September 2007, 10:16     #10
Helious

^^^ nice attempt bruvva!!
Old 26th September 2007, 11:38     #11
Cheeps

wugambino, whatever it just gave you an excuse to download hentai and tentacles and whatnot.
Don't try pin that on your missus!

And yeah, I remember back on jetstart, sometimes you'd get uncapped for like a week and you could download at full speed, it was rad.
Old 27th September 2007, 10:41     #12
wugambino
Electric Boogaloo

yhea ok you got me there , it's all hentai and japscat :\