NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > ISP and Telco discussion
User Name
Password

Old 4th September 2007, 17:05     #1
Jodi

Orcon has unbundled - 15mbps

If you live in ponsonby, Auckland. You're in luck.

Quote:
The next exchange we will be unbundling is the Glenfield exchange with the Mount Albert, Ellerslie, and Browns Bay exchanges soon to follow.
More info here!
Old 4th September 2007, 17:34     #2
Griven

Not unless your a "trial" customer, actual retail unbundling is a long ways off yet i would think, considering telecom will have to be dragged kicking and screaming all the way.
Old 4th September 2007, 17:35     #3
Delphinus

Hawt Damn thats fast.
What are they charging for that?
Old 4th September 2007, 17:42     #4
Griven

double post FTL

Last edited by Griven : 4th September 2007 at 17:45.
Old 4th September 2007, 17:44     #5
Griven

Reading comprehension FTW,

"As soon as we can sell unbundled lines, existing Orcon customers will be the first to move onto Orcon's network, so make sure you join Orcon Broadband now."

Which means its not a retail offering as the LLU is more than likely 1-3years away. Moreover the "trial" customer would be a in house operations staff member i would think.

Plus i would expect at least this speed (actually more if its adsl2+) for a line that has an entire ISAM to itself.
Old 5th September 2007, 00:41     #6
Cheeps

Wonder if this counts for Westmere / Grey Lynn cause we're on the same exchange, just a bit further away.
Old 5th September 2007, 18:45     #7
shootme

NO ! cheeps - grey lynn has it's own scabby exchange (i think, what your phn number 1st three digits? if it is 360-xxxx then u r in luck)
Old 5th September 2007, 21:39     #8
Deff
I felt shocked

Everyone is getting worked up over a fantasy, lol at you! Like griv says it's along ways off and this will be a optimum type result.

Besides, now you can download your 1gig limit even faster.

NZ Internet FTL
Old 5th September 2007, 22:27     #9
hsh

yep that is the issue. One of my lines is on the ponsonby exchange, but unless they offer at least a 60gb cap I really don't see the point.
Old 5th September 2007, 23:38     #10
Markh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deff
Besides, now you can download your 1gig limit even faster.
WTF are you smoking dude? Orcon already offer a 100GB plan with the ability to pay for what you use past that - i.e. you can download 200GB or 300GB or whatever at full speed.

As for the suggestion that it will be 1 - 3 years before the unbundled LLU will be available to end users? Yeah, I'm sure that Telecom are letting Orcon and Ihug put their own equipment in the exchanges right now, but wont let them sell any services with that equipment for the next 3 years - that makes perfect sense! (Not that I'm saying that I generally expect anything Telecom does to make sense)
Old 5th September 2007, 23:53     #11
Cheeps

Ah fuck. Thats the new phone numbers, ie people who have been moved to the new exchange.
Mines a 376 which we've had since before they put the 3 in front :P

God dammit!
Old 6th September 2007, 08:56     #12
hsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markh
Orcon already offer a 100GB plan with the ability to pay for what you use past that - i.e. you can download 200GB or 300GB or whatever at full speed.
This is starting to look quite promising!
Old 6th September 2007, 09:49     #13
Deff
I felt shocked

Quote:
WTF are you smoking dude? Orcon already offer a 100GB plan with the ability to pay for what you use past that - i.e. you can download 200GB or 300GB or whatever at full speed.

As for the suggestion that it will be 1 - 3 years before the unbundled LLU will be available to end users? Yeah, I'm sure that Telecom are letting Orcon and Ihug put their own equipment in the exchanges right now, but wont let them sell any services with that equipment for the next 3 years - that makes perfect sense! (Not that I'm saying that I generally expect anything Telecom does to make sense)
At full shaped speed, mmm yeh good one.
ISPs need plans that are UNSHAPED in ANY WAY. Internet in NZ is just fucking ass, Orcon are trying to be first to look like the good guys but at the end of the day they'll fuck us over for the $.

I'm bitter about internet so ignore my rantings but I'm just sick of paying my hard earned cash for such shit internet.
Old 6th September 2007, 11:05     #14
wugambino
Electric Boogaloo

im sure it runs great now , wait till the rest of the country starts to share your tubes
Old 6th September 2007, 11:43     #15
Painty

Browns Bay exchange...*slobber*

...and a little boy waits...
Old 11th September 2007, 12:14     #16
portunus

The following number ranges run off the Ponsonby exchange, there is no grey lynn exchange.

376-xxxx
378-xxxx
360-xxxx
361-xxxx

The exchange itself is behind KFC on Ponsonby Road and people as far as Chinaman's Hill/Surrey Crescent area are served from this exchange - as you go further west down Great North Road it changes to the Mount Albert exchange (845/846)

I live near Surrey Cres area and get approx 3mbit after replacing all of our internal cabling and trying with a variety of DSL modems to find the one that had the best connect rate... Am an Orcon customer and will be interested to see how it goes if/when I get moved to the LLU service.

Even if it only connects at 3mbit the ISP will have control over the backhaul rather than being at Telecom's mercy I guess...
Old 11th September 2007, 12:35     #17
A Corpse
talkative lurker

Isn't ADSL only capable of 8Mbit? Or is this ADSL2?
Old 11th September 2007, 13:36     #18
Cheeps

Go Large on that exchange. It is midday so its nice speeds !_!
Old 11th September 2007, 17:43     #19
Gentl e

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Corpse
Isn't ADSL only capable of 8Mbit? Or is this ADSL2?
ADSL2 in the Ponsonby exchange - yet to be released to average joe.
Old 11th September 2007, 18:12     #20
joker999

me wanna 15mbps
T_T
Old 12th September 2007, 11:28     #21
cAPTAIN^k

Quote:
Orcon already offer a 100GB plan with the ability to pay for what you use past that - i.e. you can download 200GB or 300GB or whatever at full speed.
Starting from $160 a month... "woo hoo" :\
Old 12th September 2007, 16:10     #22
Nuclear

Quote:
We are in your exchange, unbundling your local loop
lol.
Old 12th September 2007, 17:34     #23
Logik
Mate, feed, kill, repeat

double lol
Old 12th September 2007, 21:17     #24
Markh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cAPTAIN^k
Starting from $160 a month... "woo hoo" :\
Is that expensive? Is there another ISP in NZ offering 100GB for a fraction of that price? It would be nice if the prices do drop once unbundling is in full swing, but for now there aren't many offering a better deal.
Old 12th September 2007, 23:25     #25
Kryten

Sigh. People in this country need to stop expecting high quality internet access for chump change.
Old 13th September 2007, 00:16     #26
A Corpse
talkative lurker

How about basic internet access for a reasonable price?

We're not expecting 100Mbit like Taiwan. I'd just like to be able to fuck around online for a while without getting my rectum stretched violently.
Old 13th September 2007, 09:37     #27
Useless

I'd recommend Xnet, except they haven't been having a few issues of late, see http://www.gpforums.co.nz/thread/279652/?
Old 13th September 2007, 14:23     #28
Rocket

Cheesy grin

i would recomend go-large but u cant get that anymore :>

i am loving the unlimited data now. and the connection only gets better by the week.
Old 13th September 2007, 21:19     #29
PhX

mine seems to suck by the week rocket! It is better then 3 months ago though.
Old 13th September 2007, 22:47     #30
joker999

Thumbs down

er wrong post XD

Last edited by joker999 : 13th September 2007 at 22:49.
Old 13th September 2007, 23:50     #31
Biff

NZ cheers, SKorea laughs
Old 19th September 2007, 10:07     #32
volimea

That speed is good, but what happens when more and more people start getting that speed? are we going to end up with the problems we have now because of the capacity issues of the backbone network?

Its all good to have the speed on the dsl network from your home to the exchange.

Does anyone actually know the capacity of the backbone network in NZ?
Old 19th September 2007, 10:42     #33
Rocket

should be more worried about back haul.
Old 19th September 2007, 10:44     #34
Kryten

Yep, because there's only one backbone network in NZ.
Old 19th September 2007, 15:41     #35
fobski

id love to send my traffic down krytens backbone
Old 19th September 2007, 19:24     #36
ploppy slow

I'm <3 my Orcon

Not in Ponsonby but close.
Got so gutted with my other ISP that I went Fuck it give me the max max plan please. Got on to that free phone line offer.

So far sweet, touch wood and all that.
Old 26th September 2007, 10:03     #37
Nutter

Talking /stir

Instead of all pissin and moaning about what "telecom's" doing, or not doing right... why dont you all call your isp and demand they lay their own fiberoptic cables to your door, install their own exchanges and equiptment - manage their own network and then we'll all be happy because then Telecom wouldn't have any backhaul problems...
Old 1st October 2007, 03:25     #38
BathTub

Quote:
Hmm I somehow missed that, still on the 40GB plan but go over it every month, something to look into.
Kevin: Oh yeah, when we do, I would hope that we're smart enough to attempt a doctrine of appeasement with them, you know we offer them, I don't know, New Zealand in exchange for them not burning down my house,.. Ah, I mean our houses.
Mike: Good Kevin, that's real brave.
Mike Nelson & Kevin Murphy - Reign of Fire Rifftrax

Last edited by BathTub : 1st October 2007 at 03:27.