Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Technology & Troubleshooting
User Name
Password

Old 4th February 2020, 22:07     #1
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Microsoft Edge, now with extra Chromium

This browser seems... really good? Like... Chrome without the feeling that Google is raping you for data. The privacy policy seems pretty tight.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge
Old 8th February 2020, 21:21     #2
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
This browser seems... really good? Like... Chrome without the feeling that Google is raping you for data. The privacy policy seems pretty tight.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge
I've been pleasantly surprised by it. I alternate between this and FF for pretty much everything now.
Old 8th February 2020, 22:21     #3
MadMax
Stuff

Truth.
Old 12th February 2020, 09:51     #4
StN
I have detailed files

Testify. Default recommendation for users now. Except for dumb systems that demand Chrome in the code.
Old 15th February 2020, 00:33     #5
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Not sure if serious , Ab the microsoft hater, are you sure you're not confused? Windows is dead remember?
Old 15th February 2020, 00:54     #6
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Credit where it's due, Edgium is a good browser well... I trust it more than Chrome, anyway.

I use a Surface Pro at work, that's enough to keep me hating Microsoft for some time.
Old 16th February 2020, 22:16     #7
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Yeah those things are awful. I have a Surface Book, it works great. Never liked the Pros.....
Old 9th March 2020, 14:27     #8
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Credit where it's due, Edgium is a good browser well... I trust it more than Chrome, anyway.
Hmm, might have to reconsider that. Since I've had Edgium on my home network my Pi-hole is reporting that blocked "phone home" traffic has gone through the roof. Edgium is trying to contact Microsoft almost constantly.
Old 9th March 2020, 17:29     #9
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Brave browser most private

Quote:
Tracking users by hardware allows Microsoft and Yandex to follow users across installations and potentially link browser installs with other apps and online identities.

The professor said that Edge collected the hardware UUID of the user's computer, an identifier that cannot be easily changed or deleted without altering a computer's hardware.

Similarly, Prof. Leith also found that Yandex transmitted a hash of the hardware serial number and MAC address to its backend servers.

"As far as we can tell this behaviour [in Edge and Yandex] cannot be disabled by users," the professor said.

It would appear there's money in data collection... who knew?
Old 7th December 2021, 12:16     #10
[fe]

I was using this browser for a chrome specific browser feature but they microsofted it onto my shit list. Do not want your synching, news feed, suggestions and other crap.