Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 18th March 2011, 15:18     #7721
DevilWTKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
Spent 4 days camping in Port Jackson this week. The place is out of this world.

http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-rec.../port-jackson/

recommend ++
Randomness. Was up at Fletchers bay (the furtherest north you can go on that road) on the Sat night with a pile of other adventure bikers.
Came back sunday, wheeee.
Old 18th March 2011, 15:55     #7722
xor

Yeah I saw a whole bunch of you guys cruising past. I walked to Fletchers bay on the Sunday. Epic as area. Gonna get a surf casting rod for the next time I go.
Old 19th March 2011, 01:53     #7723
p01s0n

going from being unable to get a callback from multiple recruiters, to having two separate interviews for two different roles resulting in a fantastic offer on the table* at an amazing workplace (15 minutes after my 1st/only interview with the group finished no less!) and career opportunity in the space of 48 hours pretty much oils my gears.

and it's stilllllllllll

FRIDAY~
~FRIDAY
FRIDAY~
~FRIDAY
Code:
Everybody's lookin' forward to the weekend, weekend

*pending ref checks
Old 19th March 2011, 12:16     #7724
crocos

Sorry bro, the bat got sold off.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 19th March 2011, 12:32     #7725
BathTub

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamcheese
Just got a txt from a mate who bought me a ticket to the Foo Fighters at Auckland Town Hall on Tuesday

Gears well oiled
That's one hell of a mate.
Kevin: Oh yeah, when we do, I would hope that we're smart enough to attempt a doctrine of appeasement with them, you know we offer them, I don't know, New Zealand in exchange for them not burning down my house,.. Ah, I mean our houses.
Mike: Good Kevin, that's real brave.
Mike Nelson & Kevin Murphy - Reign of Fire Rifftrax
Old 19th March 2011, 17:24     #7726
p01s0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Sorry bro, the bat got sold off.
what are you talking about? dont joke about shit like this!
Old 21st March 2011, 15:07     #7727
aR Que

when they play NIN on the radio.
Old 21st March 2011, 15:09     #7728
fobski

Today I resigned as i got ofered a job back in the akl.

sad to leave welly but happy 3 week transits through airports are over.
Old 22nd March 2011, 18:52     #7729
Lightspeed

Hot girls in small bikinis demonstrating salsa moves to each other on the beach. Dayum.
Old 22nd March 2011, 20:50     #7730
tor

Kitchen notebook needed restarting and kept saying it couldn't establish trust with the domain.

Couldn't log in locally or anything. Tried safe mode etc for 5 minutes and gave up.

Overnight I realised I could disable networking in BIOS and boot it and it would use a cached profile. It worked. Awesome!

I feel like a windows guy!

Root Cause: When I had to build a new notebook the other day I accidentally gave it the same name as my kitchen notebook. Maybe I am a shit windows guy. Still happy I worked out how to solve it without google.
Old 22nd March 2011, 20:55     #7731
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Congratulations. You successfully solved a computer problem without coding a custom database. For bonus points, you even made a post to nzgames about it without mentioning databases.
Old 22nd March 2011, 22:29     #7732
MadMax
Stuff

and pulling the network cable wouldn't fix it?
Old 22nd March 2011, 23:13     #7733
Cyberbob

In related news, you have a domain at home?
Old 22nd March 2011, 23:13     #7734
lektronimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by p01s0n

FRIDAY~
~FRIDAY
FRIDAY~
~FRIDAY
Code:
Everybody's lookin' forward to the weekend, weekend
Old 22nd March 2011, 23:44     #7735
tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
and pulling the network cable wouldn't fix it?
Wireless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
In related news, you have a domain at home?
2 Actually

I work from home and the startup I am working on is also based out my house server wise currently, domain each.
Old 23rd March 2011, 01:48     #7736
Savage

Oiled - Finally finding a MEAN studio apartment for myself and the girl - found it yesterday, applied last night, moved in this afternoon. For those who know North Sydney, its in Lavender Bay; 5 minute walk from train station and bus hubs, clear views of the harbour bridge, opera house, city skyline and lunar park (iirc) from the balcony. Couldn't ask for more in terms of location and price.

No more living out of bags ftw

Simultaneous oiling of gears - moved to a mobile provider who's network actually *works* for data. Vodafone are fucking terrible here, Telstra has blown them out of the water, and I've only been using them for a couple of hours.

Now I can finally start to enjoy living here ^_^
Old 23rd March 2011, 05:39     #7737
p01s0n

yeah telstra fucking owns, it's like being on XT but you have the option to turn off 3g data if you want!
Old 23rd March 2011, 22:12     #7738
A Corpse
talkative lurker

Went to an HP roadshow. Free food, sat through a few interesting-enough presentations, and won an HP Microserver.
Old 23rd March 2011, 22:37     #7739
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
Oiled - Finally finding a MEAN studio apartment for myself and the girl - found it yesterday, applied last night, moved in this afternoon. For those who know North Sydney, its in Lavender Bay; 5 minute walk from train station and bus hubs, clear views of the harbour bridge, opera house, city skyline and lunar park (iirc) from the balcony. Couldn't ask for more in terms of location and price.

No more living out of bags ftw

Simultaneous oiling of gears - moved to a mobile provider who's network actually *works* for data. Vodafone are fucking terrible here, Telstra has blown them out of the water, and I've only been using them for a couple of hours.

Now I can finally start to enjoy living here ^_^
Nice score, that sounds awesome. Pro tip: join the Kirribilli RSL, sounds like you're practically on top of it. Cheapest drinking in Sydney with some of the best views.

PS, yes Telstra's network is awesomely quick with awesome coverage, but the service sucks.
Old 24th March 2011, 01:57     #7740
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Nice score, that sounds awesome. Pro tip: join the Kirribilli RSL, sounds like you're practically on top of it. Cheapest drinking in Sydney with some of the best views.

PS, yes Telstra's network is awesomely quick with awesome coverage, but the service sucks.
We can see the RSL from our balcony Previously mentioned awesome real estate agent pointed it out to us

Wow, that's quite an epic fail on their behalf :/

I just called their residential sales line tonight and had one of the best service experiences I have ever had with a telco, I was quite stoked. I don't think I'd open a business line with them based purely on your described experience, but their residential sales person was bloody brilliant tonight (I wait with bated breath to see how the installation goes on Saturday).

PS: 30mbit cable/100GB per month/$88 per month
Old 24th March 2011, 02:22     #7741
Savage

PS: aforementioned view from the balcony - Luna Park, harbour bridge, opera house and part of the visible skyline (RSL just to the left of Luna Park in left of pic) Can't quite make out all the boats in the water just below the tree line. Disclaimer: Cellphone pic, no editing or photography skills

Last edited by Savage : 24th March 2011 at 02:26.
Old 24th March 2011, 02:32     #7742
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

That's a familiar skyline I lived a stone's throw from there for quite a while.
Old 24th March 2011, 02:43     #7743
p01s0n

nice man, i gotta try find somewhere to live now. Gonna be working out in Randwick so hoping to find a flat somewhere around there. Pretty annoyed I basically have to rule out all of Bondi as an option for fear of accidentally flatting with Rocket.
Old 24th March 2011, 03:22     #7744
Savage

TBH I've heard nothing but bad stuff about Bondi/Kings Cross since arriving here, so I don't think you're really missing out on anything. Have a chat with some of the locals and see what they say about it. Sounds like its a case of "nice place to visit, wouldn't want to live there". If you decide to head over North Shore, let me know and I'll give you the details for the real estate agent we used

Last edited by Savage : 24th March 2011 at 03:23.
Old 24th March 2011, 07:47     #7745
tor

Quote:
...aforementioned view from the balcony...
My brother used to live in a place which had about the same view. Good for New Years so long as you plan accordingly. Make sure all your beer and food is in the flat at least a day before hand. A lot of the roads in that area get closed on New Years and some areas don't let people in or out after a certain time.

Quote:
TBH I've heard nothing but bad stuff about Bondi/Kings Cross ... a case of "nice place to visit, wouldn't want to live there".
and even that might be making it sound better than it is
Old 24th March 2011, 09:18     #7746
Perfk
snakes & ladders

Half hour sleep in this morning! Yay
Was just too chilly at 5.30 to get up, so re-set the alarm and went back to sleep. So nice!!
Old 24th March 2011, 09:36     #7747
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
PS: aforementioned view from the balcony - Luna Park, harbour bridge, opera house and part of the visible skyline (RSL just to the left of Luna Park in left of pic) Can't quite make out all the boats in the water just below the tree line. Disclaimer: Cellphone pic, no editing or photography skills
Rocket gonna be so jelly!
Old 24th March 2011, 12:42     #7748
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Apple's customer support oils my gears. So so oiled.
Old 24th March 2011, 14:19     #7749
chiQ
Frag-muff

I might have to engage with them again. iP4 button only works 75 % of the time

I'm having a bad run.
Old 24th March 2011, 15:00     #7750
Madniz

I'm having a similar issue, started off just thinking I wasn't pressing the button hard enough.
Old 24th March 2011, 15:08     #7751
Madniz

A few people suggest vacuuming out the port in the base of the phone to clear out lint and dust from behind the button. Yet to try it.
Old 24th March 2011, 15:15     #7752
chiQ
Frag-muff

That sounds so crazy it might just work.
Old 24th March 2011, 16:12     #7753
Delphinus

Resigned from my salaried job today. Oh boy it feels great! Time to focus on businesses full time now
Old 24th March 2011, 16:18     #7754
chiQ
Frag-muff

w00! Congrats
Old 24th March 2011, 18:46     #7755
madmaxii

From The Gear Grinder thread 21/3/2011:
Rabodirects new clause 29 in their T&C. Subclauses and my response in the email text below:
--------------------------
29.1 You, and not us, will bear all risks in relation to
any unauthorised or fraudulent notice,
documentation or communication given to
us by Electronic Means.
---------------------------

You are placing all responsibility on the customer even though we are using your electronic banking mechanisms.

So, if your systems are faulty, you bear no responsibility for any loss incurred by your customers?

-----------------------------
29.3 We may, in our absolute discretion and
without incurring any liability, decide not to
act in accordance with the whole or any part
of a notice, documentation or
communication received by us by Electronic
Means.
----------------------------

You can ignore lawful instructions placed by electronic means without penalty.

So, if I request a transfer to another bank you can ignore this request, not withstanding that it may cause me financial loss?

-----------------------------
29.4 You:
release us from all actions and claims in
connection with us in good faith acting or
not acting on instructions given by
Electronic Means;
indemnify us against all losses, costs and
expenses suffered as a result of any actions
or claims in connection with us in good
faith acting or not acting on instructions
given by Electronic Means,
except where it is conclusively proved that
we acted negligently.
-------------------------------

You offer an internet banking service but do not back this up with support if anything goes wrong?
=========================================================
Email from Rabo Direct Today

Dear madmaxiii,

On 21 March we advised you of updated RaboDirect Terms and Conditions, to take effect on Monday, 4 April 2011.

The updates included a new Clause 29, designed to address the risks associated with customers instructing RaboDirect in ways other than with their Digipass. The new Clause said that RaboDirect could be liable only if a non-Digipass instruction (one provided by phone, fax, telex or email) does not appear genuine or if RaboDirect is otherwise negligent.

However, we have had feedback from customers concerned about this clause, and, given that all our customers are expected to use their Digipass when instructing us, we will be removing Clause 29 from the updated terms and conditions, effective immediately.

We stress again to all our customers the importance of using our secure site and their Digipass to transact with RaboDirect. Not using your Digipass is more risky. And remember, always keep your Digipass and PIN safe.

You can view the full updated Terms and Conditions here

Kind Regards,

The RaboDirect Team
www.rabodirect.co.nz

Last edited by madmaxii : 24th March 2011 at 18:51.
Old 24th March 2011, 18:58     #7756
A Corpse
talkative lurker

So wait, they were issuing you a secure way of interacting with them, then saying that if they received instructions purporting to be from you via a non-secure means, and they acted on them, and they were fraudulent, that it'd be your loss?

Fucking banks, how do they work?
Old 24th March 2011, 21:53     #7757
madmaxii

In a nutshell.
Old 25th March 2011, 14:42     #7758
Nich

just fed a bee to my pet Praying Mantis. I call him Martin Manson Mantis
Old 25th March 2011, 16:01     #7759
Redneck

I wonder if a bee to a mantis is like a habanero to a human
Old 25th March 2011, 16:18     #7760
StN
I have detailed files

I fed a bumble bee to a turtle once. He coughed it up a few times before swallowing it. He likes a tasty mantis too.