NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 24th August 2008, 23:27     #2441
ChaosWulf
Don't worry, be harpy

Out of boredom ended up watching Beetlejuice on C4 this evening. Easy to see where Ledger got his inspiration for the Joker.
Is the term "plagiarism" applicable for acting?
Old 24th August 2008, 23:28     #2442
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosWulf
Out of boredom ended up watching Beetlejuice on C4 this evening. Easy to see where Ledger got his inspiration for the Joker.
Yea, I watched this too, was thinking this as soon as I was refreshed on Keaton's Beetlejuice.
So similar it's scary.

Not only in how they look, but so similar in the way they act, the way they talk..

Last edited by Cyberbob : 24th August 2008 at 23:32.
Old 24th August 2008, 23:40     #2443
leadinjector

beetlejuice was one of my all time favourite movies as a kid, must track down a copy
Old 24th August 2008, 23:46     #2444
Hazmat
I Like Toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosWulf
Said the same thing to my wife tonight.
I don't know if it diminishes my respect for Heath Ledger, or increases it for Michael Keaton
Old 25th August 2008, 01:36     #2445
crocos

Cat sleeping on my bed stretched and rolled off the bed. THUMP-YOWL!

I laughed

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 25th August 2008, 01:38     #2446
dead goon

Heath Ledger saved that movie, just.
Old 25th August 2008, 09:43     #2447
flic
Dee Hast Mish

Went to New World on the weekend and used the self service check-out (as we normally do)

I noticed the grapes and apples we had bought both had PLU codes on them.

So I tap "enter code" and put inthe 4 digit number .... "product not found". Hrmmm ok, look up item and away it goes.

Next item, same thing. This annoys me and I say out loud "what's the point of putting codes on fruit and not having them in the system, that's just stupid and a waste of time"

The attendant guy comes over (very gay) and says "If you are having trouble using the self service system we DO have checkouts with people who can...." (very patronising)

I cut him off with "I'm aware there are checkouts, it's just silly to have a system that doesn't recognise the codes you have on the items"

He starts to try to explain that progressive supermarkets create the codes but they're different in some way so.....

I reply "How as a customer am I meant to know that? your codes don't work - but they should. Why even have codes on the items...

He litereally threw his hands up in the air and yelled "FINE THEN JESUS I WAS JUST TRYING TO HELP" and storms (minces) off back to the supervisors area.

I told him not to have a hissy at me and not to take it so personally.
Old 25th August 2008, 09:58     #2448
StN
I have detailed files

Stuff would have called it "Funny story about fruit"...
Old 25th August 2008, 10:16     #2449
Asriel

Working in a supermarket sucks. Even though you didn't mean it personally, if you were to have customers speak like that to you all day you'd be shitty too. Though also, wtf have a self service option if it doesn't even work.
Old 25th August 2008, 10:18     #2450
Helious

lol flic, it's funnier because he was a toot
Old 25th August 2008, 10:32     #2451
Draco T Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus
What if you *dont* keep things super hygienic... therefore building up your immunity?
A study late last century showed that those working at rubbish dumps had the strongest immune systems.
Old 25th August 2008, 10:34     #2452
StN
I have detailed files

I got castigated by a colleague because I reloaded the plastic bag dispensor at the self checkout. He claimed I was doing the job of the attendant. I pointed out that it was the only part of the job that wasn't being done by a robot.
Old 25th August 2008, 10:35     #2453
Kryten

I freely admit that if given a choice at the supermarket, I'll take which ever product off the shelf is going to make a hole in the display. Shelf fillers need more to do, right?

Having worked the toy department at The Warehouse over multiple christmas shopping periods while funding my tertiary education, they should consider it additional motivation to get the hell out of a place like a supermarket.
Old 25th August 2008, 11:04     #2454
Baal

Ideally you go for the highest item, that is sort of stuck to other items so when you pull it out you start a small landslide. Works even better with beer.
Old 25th August 2008, 11:08     #2455
crocos

Always take the BOTTOM apple from the pile

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 25th August 2008, 16:35     #2456
A Corpse
talkative lurker

I grab the milk at the back, since it tends to have the longest expiry date and has been kept colder than the stuff sitting at the front.

I also take fruit from high up on the display on the theory that the shortarses can't manhandle it as often. I still wash fruit though. The amount of times you're on the shitter at work and you hear someone come in, take a leak and walk out, ech. Doesn't anyone wash their hands anymore? And then you have to use the doorhandle they just used, after you've washed your hands.

Wow, I derailed my own post.
Old 25th August 2008, 16:40     #2457
cEvin
Love In Vein

sif touch the doorhandle with bare hands.
Old 25th August 2008, 16:44     #2458
Helious

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Corpse
I grab the milk at the back, since it tends to have the longest expiry date and has been kept colder than the stuff sitting at the front.
Not sure if this is something that happened 2months ago, 6months ago or a year ago now. But I noticed that Milk has a good 10days on the date now. I go through 2L's every second day. Never really a concern eh.

I think it's since all milk brands now have the seal on them, they're staying fresh for longer?
Old 25th August 2008, 16:45     #2459
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco T Bastard
A study late last century showed that those working at rubbish dumps had the strongest immune systems.
You mean, all those that didn't die of typhus and cholera and AIDS before the researchers got there?
Old 25th August 2008, 16:49     #2460
Baal

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Corpse
Milkmaid!
Old 25th August 2008, 16:52     #2461
A Corpse
talkative lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helious-
Not sure if this is something that happened 2months ago, 6months ago or a year ago now. But I noticed that Milk has a good 10days on the date now. I go through 2L's every second day. Never really a concern eh.

I think it's since all milk brands now have the seal on them, they're staying fresh for longer?
Yeah 10 days is pretty standard but a 2-litre can take us anywhere between 2 days and a week. And if you check the dates at the supermarket there's usually a 2 or 3 day spread.
Old 25th August 2008, 19:37     #2462
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryten
Having worked the toy department at The Warehouse over multiple christmas shopping periods while funding my tertiary education, they should consider it additional motivation to get the hell out of a place like a supermarket.
i worked at a large warehouse for three years ... three years too long. at least the last two years involved driving around in forklifts with the pedal flat to the floor, wizzing down isles with other drivers doing the same from the opposite direction in isles just wide enough for the two forklifts to pass. shifting pallets around got so tedius and boring it hurt the brain.

there was a quiet day where we had finished all the work within two hours of an 8 hour shift. everyone had to help the back fillers which involved pulling the product forward on the shelf. i started feeling ill out of pure boredom after i had done a mere 20meters of stock, and to think that there were half a dozen people employed full time to do just that.
Old 25th August 2008, 19:42     #2463
CCS
Stunt Pants

Motherfucken supermarkets should have spring loaded gizmos at the back which push stock forward as one item is taken from the front.

Even better, instead of having several boxes of each product on the shelf, they could save space by just having a big picture of the item. This picture would in fact be a large button itself, so you would press the picture of desired item and then it would drop down a shute. Then a helper midget would place this item in your trolley or basket.
Old 25th August 2008, 19:45     #2464
MadMax
Stuff

pak n save's ultimate plan is to make everything self-serving. that means full pallets of say milk are loaded into a fridge which backs onto a door. shopper opens the fridge door and digs out the bottles of milk from the suppliers plastic crates.

one day the inside of a supermarket will look like this:

and your fridge at home will do all the ordering.

Last edited by MadMax : 25th August 2008 at 19:49.
Old 25th August 2008, 19:46     #2465
chiquelet
Mrs Colin Farrell

Also an ex-Warehouse employee here. Saw plenty of NZGamers in my time, although don't know if they recognised me (if you did, say so you rude gits)!
Old 25th August 2008, 19:52     #2466
MadMax
Stuff

scary: when i was about 10 i had a dream of a shop running like this:

(google image results)

iirc it was a nightmare because all the conductive lines were high voltage and you couldn't walk on them, and i was somehow trapped and had to navigate my way out

Last edited by MadMax : 25th August 2008 at 19:53.
Old 25th August 2008, 19:52     #2467
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
pak n save's ultimate plan is to make everything self-serving. that means full pallets of say milk are loaded into a fridge which backs onto a door. shopper opens the fridge door and digs out the bottles of milk from the suppliers plastic crates.
I like my idea better. Vacuum shutes + midgets = win.
Old 25th August 2008, 19:58     #2468
MadMax
Stuff

(assuming those are conductive lines, and not marks left from being driven over so many times)
Old 25th August 2008, 20:46     #2469
Ajax
Architeuthis

In the not-too-distant future, gigantic discount barns will cover thousands upon thousands of square kilometres, displacing all other structures.
Tremble before the power of the incredible savings offered within.

Old 25th August 2008, 21:07     #2470
MadMax
Stuff

^?
Old 25th August 2008, 21:12     #2471
Lightspeed

Idiocracy.
Old 25th August 2008, 22:22     #2472
Rivertrog

googlezon
Old 25th August 2008, 22:23     #2473
zeekiorage

Judge restricts online reporting of case

Quote:
A judge has today taken the unprecedented step of banning news websites from naming two men charged with murder while allowing newspapers, radio stations and TV networks to reveal who they are.

Judge David Harvey said online media could not use the names, or publish images of the accused, to prevent the public searching for the information when the case comes to trial.

He said he was "concerned about someone Googling someone's name and being able to access it later".
So apparently the judge teaches Law and Information Technology and has written books about law and Internet but still thinks that banning online media while allowing TV and print media is possible.
Old 25th August 2008, 22:28     #2474
leadinjector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asriel
Working in a supermarket sucks. Even though you didn't mean it personally, if you were to have customers speak like that to you all day you'd be shitty too. Though also, wtf have a self service option if it doesn't even work.
my partner worked weekends at farmers for 3 years, and because of her name and her appearance everyone assumed she was a muslim (she isnt)

some of the stories i heard were pretty bad, part of the reason i made her quit the place. I don't know how people do that, maybe I have a short fuse but if some asshole I didn't know from a box of bricks insulted me I'd tell them to go fuck themselves. Where I work now i can just throw them the fuck out.
Old 25th August 2008, 22:47     #2475
fidgit
Always itchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flic
story about plu codes and mincing checkout supervisors
He's entirely wrong about the codes being anything to do with Progressive.

There are international bodies that organise things like plu codes so that products can be stickered in one country and those codes can stay consistant all over the world. In particular to this case, it's probably the International Federation for Produce Standards.

Foodstuffs Wellington (and I think Foodstuffs Auckland did it even before them) re-aligned their entire Produce and bulk food departments to utilise these codes at the end of last year (or beginning of this year... I forget exactly when). I know this because I had to help technophobes understand what was going on with the scary magical computers, and had several discussions about "Why can't things just stay the same".

Prior to your post I'd have assumed the codes on the stickers would have worked in Foodstuffs SI stores.

fun fact: An '8' in front of your produce's plu code means its GE. A '9' means its organic. The More You Know! -rainbow-
Old 25th August 2008, 22:51     #2476
ChaosWulf
Don't worry, be harpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadinjector
i made her quit the place.
lol
Old 25th August 2008, 23:48     #2477
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadinjector
my partner worked weekends at farmers for 3 years, and because of her name and her appearance everyone assumed she was a muslim (she isnt)

some of the stories i heard were pretty bad
Tell us the stories about your muslim girlfriend!
Old 26th August 2008, 00:29     #2478
Spoon1
Mmm... Sacrilicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by cEvin
sif touch the doorhandle with bare hands.
This man speaks the truth.

Paper towels at work.

- Elbow open door
- Take piss
- Turn on tap with hands and wash with soap from dispenser
- Leave tap running and pull off a piece of paper hand towel
- Turn off tap with paper, bin it and pull off a larger section of paper to dry hands on
- Dry hands and then open door with used paper towel
- Hold door open with foot, throw paper into bin and walk out

Done.
[/Ramsey]
Old 26th August 2008, 00:33     #2479
cEvin
Love In Vein

or wait patiently at door for someone to come through
Old 26th August 2008, 00:36     #2480
CCS
Stunt Pants

Do you wear a surgeon's mask in the bathroom so that piss germs don't rise up in the piss steam and get up your nose?