NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 11th September 2020, 18:52     #561
xor

Quote:
Some of his 600 answers, posted with an account that listed his full name and job title, included that he would “shoot to kill” looters in a riot to protect private property and that a virus which killed “the lowest IQ people” would help get back a “sustainable planet”.
Yeah, most of NZGames would be cancelled in that case. The above quote is pretty tame when compared with the comments the users have made on this platform. Does that make Ab a racist, misogynistic, transphobe because he is hosting this 'insensitive' content? Shall we bring out the pitchforks and ruin him? Shall we celebrate hist demise by posting our success from claiming another scalp?

Where is the line? Where is the dialogue, man? There is nothing left but division.
Old 11th September 2020, 19:13     #562
Lightspeed

Are you being serious?

I don't recall any real sentiment of that kind here, at least in any volume. Nor was any such sentiment made in a such public, personally identifying way.

No one is required to fit anyone's standard of decency except where they wish to participate in decent society. Is that so draconian? It's not like there isn't plenty of indecent society to muck about in, if that's what you're into.

Or have I somehow turned a blind eye to the jackboots?
Old 11th September 2020, 20:38     #563
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

GET HIM BOYS, HE'S ONE OF THEM
Old 13th September 2020, 18:25     #564
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Today's moment of self-lobotomy, from the University of Edinburgh

Quote:
https://www.ed.ac.uk/news/students/2...sion-an-update

From the start of the new academic year the David Hume Tower will be known as 40 George Square.

The use of the building will also change: a shortage of study space because of the social distancing requirements means that the building is being re-purposed to provide additional student study space for 20/21.

The interim decision has been taken because of the sensitivities around asking students to use a building named after the 18th century philosopher whose comments on matters of race, though not uncommon at the time, rightly cause distress today.
Yep, because wokeness the University has erased the name of one of the world's greatest philosophers and replaced it with the name of... an insane imperialist white male tyrant.
Old 13th September 2020, 19:04     #565
pxpx

Currently at work we are busily wasting time removing references to "master" data and whitelist/blacklists.
Old 13th September 2020, 19:24     #566
Lightspeed

Ever see a person struggling with weight try everything but exercise and diet? That's the kind of image I'm getting.

How do we address the injustice within society while not giving up our power over people?
Old 14th September 2020, 09:24     #567
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
Currently at work we are busily wasting time removing references to "master" data and whitelist/blacklists.
"Hey can you add this detail to the whitelist?"
"Sorry, there are no whitelists and blacklists anymore, just one AllList"
"Does it do anything?"
"It both blocks and allows everything"
Old 14th September 2020, 09:34     #568
fixed_truth

Facing backlash, Netflix defends Cuties as 'social commentary' against sexualising young girls
Having watched it I think the backlash is way over the top. I thought it did well in critiquing modern culture & social media & how this drives the sexualization of kids. There are scenes that make you feel uneasy but I think that's the point.
Old 14th September 2020, 13:00     #569
Lightspeed

That whole saga was Netflix exposing how superficial our outrage is.
Old 14th September 2020, 16:43     #570
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
Ok, so it's not just my company. Got told last week we weren't using the word master.
I laughed, but I was muted on a videoless Zoom call, so no one knew, and I'm sure I wasn't the only one.
Old 15th September 2020, 08:32     #571
fixed_truth

Oh shit, cancel culture coming to NZ, stop the wokeness already. Nah, just people in power finally getting called out for their unprofessional bs.
https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/12273...sexist-comment

Quote:
Following the formal part of the meeting, Body told the woman, who Stuff has chosen not to name: “You look better in the paper than you do in real life.”

Body told Stuff when contacted the day after the incident he had emailed the woman to apologise, describng his comments as “overly flippant”.
Old 22nd September 2020, 00:32     #572
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Pictured: former Harry Potter fans

https://www.newsweek.com/jk-rowling-...issues-1532330

just kidding, you know none of them read the books
Old 22nd September 2020, 15:05     #573
xor

Why are people posturing to this? How do you argue having something like Mein Kampf on the bookshelves but wanting to burn a fictional book?
Old 22nd September 2020, 16:23     #574
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Virtue signaling of course. Tribal identity indicators. The subtext is “I’m one of you! Please don’t turn on me!”
Old 23rd September 2020, 08:57     #575
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
Why are people posturing to this? How do you argue having something like Mein Kampf on the bookshelves but wanting to burn a fictional book?
I think it's mainly an issue with her harmful views that effect tran-speople. Burning the books is just a showy way to make themselves heard. Much like burning nikes, throwing gillette razors in the trash, or slashing goodyear tires.
Old 23rd September 2020, 09:12     #576
xor

https://www.jkrowling.com/opinions/j...gender-issues/

Which part of her reasoning is harmful to trans people?
Old 23rd September 2020, 10:33     #577
fixed_truth

Basically she's got a history of scare mongering that transwomen are a threat to cis women and that they're not real women.
Old 23rd September 2020, 11:59     #578
xor

Sounds like she acknowledges different genders but draws a line with the legal term of someone's biological sex. Sounds like it's something that should be discussed rather than cancelled imo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK Rowling
Most people probably aren’t aware – I certainly wasn’t, until I started researching this issue properly – that ten years ago, the majority of people wanting to transition to the opposite sex were male. That ratio has now reversed. The UK has experienced a 4400% increase in girls being referred for transitioning treatment. Autistic girls are hugely overrepresented in their numbers.
Interesting if true.
Old 23rd September 2020, 12:34     #579
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
GET HIM BOYS, HE'S ONE OF THEM
I'm inclined to think the friction coefficient is at play here...

Last edited by StN : 23rd September 2020 at 12:35.
Old 23rd September 2020, 12:48     #580
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
Sounds like she acknowledges different genders but draws a line with the legal term of someone's biological sex. Sounds like it's something that should be discussed rather than cancelled imo

Interesting if true.
That statistic might be interesting if it included actual number of cases. It's unremarkable if we're talking about a very small number of people.

Like everything, yes there is a place & helpful way to discuss this. Rowling outed herself as the wrong person to be leading the discussion with her first you're not a woman if you don't have a period tweet.
Old 23rd September 2020, 13:03     #581
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
Sounds like it's something that should be discussed rather than cancelled imo.
People have tried discussing and explaining. Rowling keeps leaning in hard along the lines of someone that has or had a penis will rape you in the toilets.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 23rd September 2020, 13:26     #582
Lightspeed

JKR is an old person who hasn't realised they're old yet.
Old 23rd September 2020, 13:53     #583
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

She is old, not they silly
Old 23rd September 2020, 15:10     #584
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
That statistic might be interesting if it included actual number of cases. It's unremarkable if we're talking about a very small number of people.

Like everything, yes there is a place & helpful way to discuss this. Rowling outed herself as the wrong person to be leading the discussion with her first you're not a woman if you don't have a period tweet.
Yes, I imagine this is 1 person to 44 people.
And maybe that 1 person paved the way for the others to realise its ok.

Probably similar to saying there was several thousands times increase in the number of people that identified as gay in the last century.
It's not like more people are gay, its that more people realise that its ok to be.
Old 24th September 2020, 15:24     #585
xor

The sales engineers are adhering to the The Principles of Newspeak but still revert their language every now and then, not sure about their ideological fit for the organisation. They keep calling blocklists blacklists.
Old 8th October 2020, 09:48     #586
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

The magic syllables strike again.

https://www.thefire.org/breaking-duq...edom-promises/

Quote:

Duquesne University issued a termination letter to professor Gary Shank this morning. Shank had been on leave since controversy erupted in September over his use of the N-word during a class discussion about why using it is considered inappropriate.
Old 28th October 2020, 14:18     #587
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Parents should ask for babies' consent before changing their nappies. #rapeculture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQvBtH1DurU
Old 28th October 2020, 19:19     #588
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Parents should ask for babies' consent before changing their nappies. #rapeculture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQvBtH1DurU
This one has been around for a while.. I remember someone suggesting it to us when we were expecting #1.
Old 4th November 2020, 11:25     #589
fixed_truth

Author Olivia Pierson labels Nanaia Mahuta's moko 'ugly, uncivilised', Mighty Ape pulls books
The system is working. She's getting the consequences of free speech.
Old 4th November 2020, 12:52     #590
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

um... yeah?
Old 15th November 2020, 13:30     #591
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Quote:
(Vox journalist) Matt Yglesias has been reported to his employer by a colleague for signing an open letter which argues that a climate of conformity, fear, and mutual surveillance has descended upon public intellectual life.

https://twitter.com/jessesingal/stat...03481531912192

Let there be no mistake - any claim that an employer is not providing a safe workplace is a threat of legal action. This is what a passive-aggressive demand for someone's career to be ended looks like. Because he signed a letter upholding freedom of speech.
Aaaaaaaand he's gone.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...roblem/617102/

The moment a trans person posted that Ygesias's signature on a letter supporting freedom of speech made her feel "unsafe" he was toast.
Old 15th November 2020, 16:07     #592
fixed_truth

Unless you're advocating free speech purism isn't this just an evolution of where society decides to draw the boundaries of free speech?

I mean censorship is nothing new and maybe opinions that harm trans-people don't get major platforms anymore.
Old 15th November 2020, 18:06     #593
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

what opinion?
Old 15th November 2020, 20:37     #594
fixed_truth

"That the movement for trans equality is a threat to the safety and status of cisgender women."
Old 15th November 2020, 22:28     #595
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

where the hell did Matt Yglesias say that?
Old 16th November 2020, 07:24     #596
fixed_truth

He said that when he put his name to the Harper's letter. The letter isn't some arbitrary declaration in support of the principle of the free exchange of information. It's a response to actual instances of speech that they think shouldn't be restricted and which the social justice movement thinks should be as they find it harmful.
Old 16th November 2020, 09:50     #597
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Berkeley professor advises followers to burn books they disagree with

https://twitter.com/graceelavery/sta...46546851524608
Old 16th November 2020, 18:14     #598
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Glenn Greenwald: The Ongoing Death of Free Speech
Old 23rd November 2020, 10:44     #599
StN
I have detailed files

Noooooo!

JC!

Was never a problem when Dinsdale Piranha was around.
Old 23rd November 2020, 11:40     #600
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Cancel him!