Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 20th August 2011, 13:48     #4321
wugambino
Electric Boogaloo

Follows these should sort it out ...

Windows
Since Windows does not come with a SSH client, you will need to download and install PuTTY. The first time creating a tunnel you will need to create a Saved Session, which you will be able to reuse later:
Install and open PuTTY
Under Host Name (or IP address) enter username@host
Under Saved Sessions enter Proxy
In the category menu on the left, expand Connection' Then expand SSH and select Tunnels.
Next to Source port enter 8080
Select Dynamic. Click Add
In the category menu on the left, select Session to go back to the first screen.
Click Save to save all these settings for future use.
To start the tunnel:
Open PuTTY
Under Saved Sessions select Proxy and click Open
When prompted for a password, enter your slot password

Using As Browser Proxy

Firefox

Create and start your SSH tunnel
Open Preferences, found either in the Edit or Tools menu
Select the Advanced section and click the Network tab
Under Connection click the Settings button.
Select Manual proxy configuration
Next to SOCKS Host enter localhost and 8080 as the port.
Select SOCKS v5
click OK, then Close
Old 20th August 2011, 18:13     #4322
leadinjector

man i am just hanging out like a turd that wont flush for the ronnie/sitch drama on next weeks jersey shore.

i hope someone gets fucked up
Old 20th August 2011, 19:02     #4323
Sirens Song

Quote:
Originally Posted by wugambino
Follows these should sort it out ...
Thanks wug,
I've done that exactly and FF just reports that the proxy I'm using is refusing connections.
Old 20th August 2011, 19:18     #4324
wugambino
Electric Boogaloo

you're leaving putty open
Old 21st August 2011, 10:18     #4325
Sirens Song

yeah? I'm not supposed to?
I leave the black window open that says "press enter to terminate the connection"
Old 21st August 2011, 10:46     #4326
Sirens Song

After giving it another go this morning I got it to work with FF.
Still can't get any connections in uTorrent though.
Can you help with those settings?
I've pretty much just done the same as in FF but no go.
Old 21st August 2011, 15:27     #4327
ZoSo

How good is a crazy combo of Ancient Aliens & Through the Wormhole for a hazy lazy weekend.
Old 21st August 2011, 15:56     #4328
crocos

IMO? Maybe it might be watchable if you're stoned off your tits. Otherwise pretty shit TBH.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 21st August 2011, 17:21     #4329
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

couple of mates use filesonic, so thought I'd sign up for 30 days (11 NZD, meh).... so far so good.

couple of randoms have been removed, but nothing I want right now has been an issue.
Just want to get a decent download manager for those multi-part files.... any suggestions (ability to integrate with Chrome would be a plus)
Old 21st August 2011, 20:31     #4330
Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rince
couple of mates use filesonic, so thought I'd sign up for 30 days (11 NZD, meh).... so far so good.

couple of randoms have been removed, but nothing I want right now has been an issue.
Just want to get a decent download manager for those multi-part files.... any suggestions (ability to integrate with Chrome would be a plus)
Croc said that filesonic was shit...
Or was it fileshare. or filesomethingelse.
I use jdownloader for my multipart downloads, its actually a fucken good app I find. also does youtube too.
Old 21st August 2011, 21:14     #4331
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

"Lots of poor performance complaints - which I can corroborate.

Shit customer service

Random and inconsistent in what they take down (eg they'll take down the third file in a set of RARs or similar) "

oh well - it's only 11 bucks....
Old 21st August 2011, 21:56     #4332
Chrono
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

bobrelease + fileserve + IDM = win
Old 21st August 2011, 22:25     #4333
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

went to bobreleases, saw an ad for "Alphas", had a quick read on wikipedia, seems ok, did a search of filesonic using filestube, found a FS user hosting all 6 episodes, put them into jdownloader, coming down at 1.8MB/s

seems ok to me
Old 22nd August 2011, 12:45     #4334
Sirens Song

The thing I found difficult with those hosting sites is that it's sometimes really hard to find old stuff.
Like I just recently got into Dexter so started downloading that from ep 1. Torrents = easy and fast as hell. I couldn't find any of those filseshare sites with the older stuff.

Anyway, got my ssh tunnel working with utorrent finally. Loving the freedom of torrenting.
Old 22nd August 2011, 23:41     #4335
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

LOVING this season of True Blood.. Love seeing so much Eric, which is obviously awesome.. so awesome.. awesomeawsomeawesomeawesome...

I haven't cared too much for the baby/french woman storyline so am fucken glad that's over with now
Old 23rd August 2011, 10:37     #4336
blur^

chick mate of mine pretty much forced me to read the books
so not liking true blood as much this season

too many random arcs that suck, tommy, tara etc
and killing off important characters like the queen far to early missed out on a great story arc

at least anna is a hottie, god damn her body owns me
Old 23rd August 2011, 12:03     #4337
crocos

For downloading from most D/L providers: Check out "The Cavern Links Checker" on userscripts.org. It's a Greasemonkey script, but I think it runs on Chrome also.

Great for seeing what's sweet vs what's looking munted.

Old 27th August 2011, 23:04     #4338
cryocore

Death Valley starts on Tuesday. I'll be checking it out fosho
Horror/Comedy Meets Cops with some sexy wimens in it too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAT6E...eature=related
Old 28th August 2011, 10:08     #4339
verve_rat

New Who today. Yay!
Old 29th August 2011, 21:46     #4340
Ajax
Architeuthis

So, uh, in the latest ep of Breaking Bad, Jesse appears to be playing a bizarro shooter-on-rails version of Rage? Weird.
Old 29th August 2011, 22:46     #4341
Simon K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rince

Suite # 3508
24B Moorefield road
Johnsonville, Wellington 6037
New Zealand
Email : [email protected]

That's the JVille community centre!!!
?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?
Not quite, first floor of the Medical centre...down the hallway then turn left. I was there last week delivering something. If I'd read these posts I would have asked him a few questions as I still don't know what to do

Last edited by Simon K : 29th August 2011 at 22:47.
Old 29th August 2011, 22:47     #4342
blur^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax
So, uh, in the latest ep of Breaking Bad, Jesse appears to be playing a bizarro shooter-on-rails version of Rage? Weird.

yeah that made me go O.o
wii version? kinect??
Old 30th August 2011, 08:56     #4343
aR Que

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax
Shit taste in games, imo
Old 31st August 2011, 10:27     #4344
wugambino
Electric Boogaloo

Cannot recommend a seedbox enough, been fraptastic and I don't have to waste a single Kb of my datacap on seeding
Old 31st August 2011, 10:35     #4345
^BITES^

Quote:
Cannot recommend a seedbox enough, been fraptastic and I don't have to waste a single Kb of my datacap on seeding
Why I built my own 6 years ago :P

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 31st August 2011, 10:43     #4346
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Quote:
Who are you with?
Old 31st August 2011, 12:16     #4347
wugambino
Electric Boogaloo

whatbox.ca

I have had a US based server for years but not one who's bandwidth I could rape and pillage with torrent traffic.
Old 31st August 2011, 12:59     #4348
Deadmeat

Usenet has all but won me over, it's hard to argue with constant full rate speeds.
http://www.news.astraweb.com/plans.html signed up for the 180gb package to trial usenet
http://sabnzbd.org/ Works well through browser as a frontend (like a router), anyone using a different app?
http://www.newzbin.com/ Any other good sites for searching nzbs?

I do miss the comments from piratebay though.
Old 31st August 2011, 13:11     #4349
drac0s

nzbmatrix.com (think have to pay a one of donation to get access)
nzbs.org (free account, no verfication etc...)

I think astraweb has some problems with missing articles etc... at least whenever i read comments about missing pieces of files it's usually astraweb. If search around for discount codes as well, usually a few which give cheaper prices on all the news groups.
Old 31st August 2011, 13:13     #4350
tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmeat
Usenet has all but won me over, it's hard to argue with constant full rate speeds.
http://www.news.astraweb.com/plans.html signed up for the 180gb package to trial usenet
http://sabnzbd.org/ Works well through browser as a frontend (like a router), anyone using a different app?

I highly and heartily recommend setting up an nzb server thingy. I use sabnzbd+ which happened to come as part of my qnap NAS.

Awesome combo. the NAS has the mega storage and when I click an nzb link it just offloads over there and sends me an email when it is done. Does all the unzip / par etc stuff and dumps it in a directory my /ps3mediaserver has mapped (I will eventually get around to mounting it as an iSCSI point).

Even the girlfriend can use it without hassle.
Old 31st August 2011, 21:43     #4351
Deadmeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by drac0s
I think astraweb has some problems with missing articles etc... at least whenever i read comments about missing pieces of files it's usually astraweb. If search around for discount codes as well, usually a few which give cheaper prices on all the news groups.
My main motivation for going with them was to dip my toe with a prepay package to get the hang of usenet without having to sign up for a 12month plan. That said i've had no trouble with missing articles yet, even while downloading stuff listed on newzbin as >450 days.
Old 1st September 2011, 01:40     #4352
Mojo

This shit is not cool, the mo-budget doesn't extend to a VPN or seedbox or any of that jazz. Guess I'm going down in a blaze of glory.
Old 5th September 2011, 19:38     #4353
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

Lost Girl Season 2 is now out... I enjoyed the first series, and will stick with it, but hopefully things pick up a little this season.
Old 5th September 2011, 21:26     #4354
Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsi
Lost Girl Season 2 is now out... I enjoyed the first series, and will stick with it, but hopefully things pick up a little this season.
Ahhh I was just coming to post that:P
Old 6th September 2011, 12:03     #4355
Sirens Song

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by drac0s
nzbmatrix.com (think have to pay a one of donation to get access)
nzbs.org (free account, no verfication etc...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tor
I highly and heartily recommend setting up an nzb server thingy. I use sabnzbd+ which happened to come as part of my qnap NAS.

Awesome combo. the NAS has the mega storage and when I click an nzb link it just offloads over there and sends me an email when it is done. Does all the unzip / par etc stuff and dumps it in a directory my /ps3mediaserver has mapped (I will eventually get around to mounting it as an iSCSI point).

Even the girlfriend can use it without hassle.
After reading these posts I signed up for a 14 day free trial at giganews and downloaded SABNZBD+ to have a play.
Went to NZB TV seeker and indexed all of dexter season 4 to an NZB file and started cranking it at full speed. Not bad!
Do you have to go through proxy SSH tunnels or SSL crap to be safe or are you OK just cranking it like I did for this test?

I've been using a SSH tunnel for my torrenting but damn its slow and disconnecty. Thise usenet thingo might be a go if you don't have to run through those tunnel/seedboxy servery things.

I'm new to this .. me and EZTV/IPT were good friends before.
Thanks.
Old 6th September 2011, 12:19     #4356
crocos

All quality Usenet providers (including Giganews) provide SSL encryption, but that doesn't shield the file-request you make - if someone managed to listen to your comms they'd be able to see the file-request.

However the chances of that are far more remote than anything that involves active sharing (eg: Torrents, DC++, etc)

Old 6th September 2011, 12:24     #4357
crocos

Bah, edit time.

Also for your torrent tunnelling: Not all providers are created equal.
Some factors include:
* The encryption overhead (which can vary greatly by the hardware used to drive the encryption on the tunnel)
* Their network limitations (bandwidth and speed)
* The number of service subscribers
* The network between you and them
* The network between them and the Torrent (or other service) participants.

Old 6th September 2011, 12:52     #4358
Sirens Song

I'm keen for a good provider then.

Otherwise, cheers for the info.
On the privacy/security, doesn't that kind of make usenet just like wuploads etc?
Old 6th September 2011, 13:35     #4359
ceer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirens Song

I've been using a SSH tunnel for my torrenting but damn its slow and disconnecty. Thise usenet thingo might be a go if you don't have to run through those tunnel/seedboxy servery things.

I'm new to this .. me and EZTV/IPT were good friends before.
Thanks.
I've been trying to set up for a few days until and failing until someone today pointed out I need to subscribe to a usenet server as well as an indexer...he is using Astraweb as the server and has had no issues. ..uses sabnzbd+ and no need for SSL or putty so he says.

I have joined nzb.su as the indexer and will most likely use Astraweb as a server at the 5MBit/s unlimited option @ $10.00 a month...he showed me how he is using SAB and seemed pretty straight forward.
Old 6th September 2011, 14:20     #4360
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirens Song
On the privacy/security, doesn't that kind of make usenet just like wuploads etc?
Pretty similar, except as Usenet is subscription-based for it's content, it makes it REALLY hard to track down who uploaded a given file - it may not have even been that Usenet provider, as they syndicate the content.