Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 30th August 2013, 09:37     #2081
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

I saw about 90 seconds of it and couldn't really tell what was being said over the sound of wringing hands and desperate expressions.

I figure it's been a slow national news fortnight and the collective media are desperate for some public backlash. (The best kind, of course, when the public don't really know what they're lashing at or for.)
Old 30th August 2013, 12:08     #2082
IoriDyson

Its easy to disregard, but the underlying facts still remain and these are big issues for nz's future, when full time workers need government subsides to survive somethings gone wrong.
Old 30th August 2013, 12:53     #2083
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by IoriDyson
Its easy to disregard, but the underlying facts still remain and these are big issues for nz's future, when full time workers need government subsides to survive somethings gone wrong.
This isn't an issue in only NZ's future. This is an issue in the modern world's future. Let's not pretend we're the only society with troubles.

Old 30th August 2013, 12:54     #2084
CCS
Stunt Pants

Is this the same Bryan Bruce doco they aired just before the 2011 general election? Or was that one child poverty and this one is just a bit of a general poverty rant?
Old 30th August 2013, 13:04     #2085
ZoSo

A handful of kids on minimum wage. Reminds me of a Stanhope bit.
Old 30th August 2013, 13:14     #2086
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimp-X
This isn't an issue in only NZ's future. This is an issue in the modern world's future. Let's not pretend we're the only society with troubles.

Lets not pretend we are helpless to address these troubles. And we're not the only ones in troubles in part because we see what the big boys and girls are doing and follow suit. The larger issues we are all struggling with are the stupid same decisions we've made.

My intent here is to be civil, but this shit winds me the fuck up.
Old 30th August 2013, 14:47     #2087
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Lets not pretend we are helpless to address these troubles. And we're not the only ones in troubles in part because we see what the big boys and girls are doing and follow suit. The larger issues we are all struggling with are the stupid same decisions we've made.

You do realise that everything affects everything, right? We are living in a global economy/society?

I realise you live in a bubble (filled with crazy) so I just wanted to make sure.
Old 30th August 2013, 15:02     #2088
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
I realise you live in a bubble (filled with crazy) so I just wanted to make sure.
That's an NZG Photoshop comp right there...
Old 30th August 2013, 15:24     #2089
pxpx

Quote:

According to Bryan Bruce all I have to do is give out micro-loans to poor people!
Old 30th August 2013, 15:36     #2090
Lightspeed

Quote:
You do realise that everything affects everything, right? We are living in a global economy/society?
I do realise this. I didn't realise this meant we had to do what everyone else does. Maybe that's not what you mean... but you didn't say what you meant, so I am guessing... guesses which I appreciate tend to rustle jimmies.
Old 30th August 2013, 16:31     #2091
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

Quote:
I didn't realise this meant we had to do what everyone else does.
We don't do what everyone else does. What planet are you posting from?!
Old 30th August 2013, 17:27     #2092
Lightspeed

Of course we don't and this is not what I am saying.

The bubble filled with crazy that I live in has a name: NZGames.
Old 30th August 2013, 17:40     #2093
Lightspeed

Seriously, it's like you guys think the text in a post on an internet forum conveys everything that goes on in your head at the time of posting.
Old 30th August 2013, 17:53     #2094
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I like boobs
Old 30th August 2013, 21:01     #2095
Lightspeed

YOU ARE BOOBS!

Naw, I'm sorry.
Old 31st August 2013, 17:25     #2096
Lightspeed

I get the feeling Assad might be thinking he should have used those chemical weapons awhile back.
Old 1st September 2013, 16:11     #2097
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

I see cuntliffe is confused or simply telling bare faced lies "What we did last time round was 39 cents with a pretty high threshold of $150,000. So we weren't hitting middle New Zealand, we had a top rate for the wealthiest."; it was 39% starting at $60k last time and it most certainly hit middle NZ.
Old 2nd September 2013, 14:14     #2098
plaz0r

Not content to shut up and let the government get on with implementing policies that they campaigned on, the Greens and Labour have succeeded in their bid to burn $30 million on a referendum.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...les-referendum

Bravo.
Old 2nd September 2013, 14:32     #2099
IoriDyson

to be fair, asset sales are fucking retarded...
Old 2nd September 2013, 14:46     #2100
CCS
Stunt Pants

So retarded that National campaigned on them and it got them into power!

Since the CIR is non-binding, it's nothing more than Labour/Green politicking funded by the tax payer to the tune of millions of dollars. Gee, I'm really happy to be wasting vast sums of money to achieve nothing. Sounds like what we could expect from a Labour/Green coalition govt!
Old 2nd September 2013, 14:58     #2101
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

We won't know whether National should stop after the referendum - the question we must now waste time answering will not ask this.
Old 2nd September 2013, 16:17     #2102
IoriDyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
So retarded that National campaigned on them and it got them into power!
yeah, that was their platform, ppl were voting for asset sales... come on now...
Old 2nd September 2013, 16:21     #2103
CCS
Stunt Pants

A vote for National is a vote for asset sales. It's simple, really.
Old 2nd September 2013, 16:35     #2104
Delphinus

What if you don't want asset sales... but don't want labour either? Not a whole lot of choice available really.
Old 2nd September 2013, 16:45     #2105
CCS
Stunt Pants

If you don't want asset sales, then you don't vote for the party saying they will sell the assets.
Old 2nd September 2013, 17:14     #2106
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus
What if you don't want asset sales... but don't want labour either?
Abstain?
Old 2nd September 2013, 18:35     #2107
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus
What if you don't want asset sales... but don't want labour either? Not a whole lot of choice available really.
Choose what matters the most.

If you want high taxes, workers rights that are so strong there will be too few jobs, sky-high prices for imported goods, not being able to afford to go overseas on holiday unless you're earning $200k+, having the same standard of living as those who refuse to participate in the economy, twenty percent plus mortgage rates and so on then it's easy - vote ultra left; labour will be a popular choice in this camp.

If you think the particular investments of past governments weren't so good and you wonder why we have power stations in place of better schools then it's easy too - vote centre; the only choice here is National.
Old 2nd September 2013, 18:42     #2108
Deadmeat

I just want to be able to buy pseudoephedrine over the counter again. Who do i vote for to get that?
Old 2nd September 2013, 18:50     #2109
CCS
Stunt Pants

Write your congressman.
Old 2nd September 2013, 19:53     #2110
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmeat
I just want to be able to buy pseudoephedrine over the counter again.
I exercised my right to buy pseudoephedrine this week. It was good. I felt shit, obviously, but good.
Old 2nd September 2013, 21:59     #2111
Deadmeat

I hope you get eaten by a drop bear.
Old 3rd September 2013, 08:55     #2112
chubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Teapot
If you think the particular investments of past governments weren't so good and you wonder why we have power stations in place of better schools then it's easy too - vote centre; the only choice here is National.

my god you are full of it.
we were never meant to be choosing one or 'tother.
power generation was for the people...till you people got hold of it.
and now youre selling off the schools.

revisionist bastard.
Old 3rd September 2013, 09:21     #2113
Lightspeed

Laugh

Quote:

If you want high taxes, workers rights that are so strong there will be too few jobs, sky-high prices for imported goods, not being able to afford to go overseas on holiday unless you're earning $200k+, having the same standard of living as those who refuse to participate in the economy, twenty percent plus mortgage rates and so on then it's easy - vote ultra left; labour will be a popular choice in this camp.

GT is a caricature of himself.
Old 3rd September 2013, 09:30     #2114
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

Maybe you should join reality there Mr Speed. I cannot in all honesty fault that analysis - and I have no horse in that race.
Old 3rd September 2013, 11:57     #2115
Lightspeed

Some easy faults I would find are:
"not being able to afford to go overseas on holiday unless you're earning $200k+,"

What proportion on New Zealanders have overseas holidays as a primary concern? Some might even ask should this be a priority given the domestic problems we struggle with? And if one could afford a holiday earning a mere $100k, how many NZers would benefit?

"having the same standard of living as those who refuse to participate in the economy"

This is simply an untruth, a personal judgement at best. For one thing, a tiny % on NZers have GT's standard of living and a large % of NZers have what many would consider (as defined by "poverty") an inadequate standard of living. As for refusal to participate? It's really actually impossible to refuse, all land and resources are accounted for in our economy, there is nothing free for anyone to use outside of the economy. But guessing what GT means, i.e. the small proportion of NZers on some kind of benefit they get while not working, GT only guesses that people are on these benefits because they are unwilling, regardless of their circumstances. Research tells a different story.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 3rd September 2013 at 11:59.
Old 3rd September 2013, 12:01     #2116
Nothing

So what you're saying, Pimp-X, is that you don't think that GT has exaggerated or fabricated the results of voting Labour in any way? I actually will need to earn over $200k in order to be able to go on holiday? And mortgage rates actually would go up to 20%? Seems a bit implausible to me to be honest. Seems to me also that GT has probably left a lot of things to be said about National out of his analysis too.

TL;DR: Faults abound.
Old 3rd September 2013, 12:22     #2117
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:

Yourself, or your community.
Old 3rd September 2013, 12:32     #2118
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

I'm learning more about you guys than I am about GT.
Old 3rd September 2013, 12:34     #2119
Nothing

^trolling.
Old 3rd September 2013, 14:59     #2120
ZoSo

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11118381