DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

DOJ reportedly to open antitrust review of big tech

Who knew that was coming?
Old 23rd August 2019, 23:18     #246
CCS
Stunt Pants

YUO=LAME

YouTube Dismantles 'Influence Operation' Targeting Hong Kong Protests, Avoids Discussing Its Reach

Quote:
YouTube has disabled some 210 channels it says were used in a coordinated “influence operation” spreading disinformation related to the ongoing protests in Hong Kong. However, the company refused to answer any questions on Thursday when asked how users had been successfully targeted.

So, I guess that's good. I mean...
Old 10th October 2019, 10:24     #247
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Social media is cancer

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...raine-facebook
Old 24th November 2019, 01:01     #248
Lightspeed

Lightbulb

ADL International Leadership Award Presented to Sacha Baron Cohen at Never Is Now 2019
Old 21st December 2019, 14:21     #249
Lightspeed

Twitter removes nearly 6,000 Saudi-backed accounts for platform manipulation
Old 1st February 2020, 22:28     #250
Lightspeed

Holy crap

I'm not sure how I feel about how easy it was to train TikTok to feed me an endless stream of big tiddy girls dancing big tiddy dances. Other than the obvious response.

Is that what's happened here? TikTok exposed my weakness? Or is TikTok mostly just... big tiddy girls?

It's so hard to tell these days. But I'm struggling to complain. Is this the system working?
Old 11th February 2020, 08:06     #251
StN
I have detailed files

Elon FTW.
Old 11th February 2020, 09:21     #252
Cyberbob

Since the start of the year I've made a few changes regarding social media. I've deleted the Instagram app, deleted Twitter, and moved Facebook and Messenger to an inconvenient place on my device. I'd remove those too, but that's still the primary avenue for a lot of IRl friends to contact me.

And just between us girls, I haven't re-enabled my work emails on my device since the new year either. So far so good.

Dr. Cal Newport on quitting social media

It's Just Another Ted Talk, but it definitely inspired me to make a few changes with how I engage with technology and social media.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 11th February 2020 at 09:23.
Old 11th February 2020, 11:17     #253
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
I'd remove those too, but that's still the primary avenue for a lot of IRl friends to contact me.
Just delete the fucking things. If those friends are actual friends they’ll find ways of staying in touch.
Old 11th February 2020, 15:22     #254
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Elon FTW.
Sacha Baron Cohen FTW.

Elon is talking about what won't happen, Cohen is trying to make something happen.
Old 28th April 2020, 09:42     #255
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

These people are nuts. And Google is perfectly happy to facilitate it, because clicks.

https://apple.news/A8P_aeVdYTyawnhUlASdeLA
Old 29th April 2020, 05:52     #256
crocos

Google et al makes things worse, but fuck-knuckles like this George Web can go run themselves through a woodchipper as far as I'm concerned.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 18th May 2020, 15:38     #257
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

kill all humans

https://thespinoff.co.nz/society/18-...racy-cocktail/
Old 18th May 2020, 22:28     #258
Lightspeed

Who or what might benefit from people becoming active in their suspicion about comms tech? Maybe what's happening in NZ and elsewhere is collateral damage of an attack meant to undermine somewhere specific?

Or is it just trolls all the way down?
Old 19th May 2020, 10:51     #259
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Social media has accentuated everything bad about humanity and made us paranoid, terrified, and gullible. If it wasn't 5G it would be something else. Geo-engineering. Vaccines. Marxist preschool teachers. Something.
Old 19th May 2020, 17:42     #260
Lightspeed

Social media is amplifying many things, including things that are going wrong.

We've worked so hard to separate parents from parenting. Kids go to shitty schools, come home to overworked parents. Parents who grew up with the same.

How does wisdom, discipline, insight transmit? Those who actively seek insight, who knows what they'll find in their naivete?
Old 19th May 2020, 17:59     #261
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Here's another thing that, IMHO, is contributing to the death spiral: parenting has become such hard work, with so little in the way of support (unless you're really lucky), that good people are discouraged from becoming parents. What rational actor would sign on for this?
Old 20th May 2020, 08:06     #262
Trigga*happY

Unfortunately what this virus is showing us, is that humanity has built up a herd immunity to common sense and intelligence.

Lightspeed, all we can do is keep doing what we're doing. Instill the best of us in our kids, take the time to impart the wisdom we have inherited, and hope that enough like minded people do the same.

Keep trying to infect the gullible and less fortunate with knowledge, and pray that no vaccine for common sense is invented
Old 20th May 2020, 14:07     #263
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigga*happY
Unfortunately what this virus is showing us, is that humanity has built up a herd immunity to common sense and intelligence.
Totally stealing that line.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 20th May 2020, 15:04     #264
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Keep trying to infect the gullible and less fortunate with knowledge, and pray that no vaccine for common sense is invented
I see you too have watched Behind the curve and hoped for the best.
Old 20th May 2020, 17:08     #265
Lightspeed

How an anonymous, untrue tweet about suicide spiralled out of control

Quote:
If the person who posted the tweet is an elected member with political connections, it would be concerning if she was anonymously sharing false information on suicide. It’s equally concerning, though, that her tweet was credulously picked up and magnified by several people with substantial followings.
We're fucked if apparent authorities have no idea about information discipline.
Old 20th May 2020, 17:11     #266
Trigga*happY

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
I see you too have watched Behind the curve and hoped for the best.
Not one i've seen i'm afraid. The flat earth conspiracy is one that has confounded me, it appears to be a desperate bid for non-conformity that accidentally established a base of die hard conspiracy theorists.
Old 20th May 2020, 18:21     #267
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:

Lightspeed, all we can do is keep doing what we're doing. Instill the best of us in our kids, take the time to impart the wisdom we have inherited, and hope that enough like minded people do the same.

I think of it the other way around. Scientific knowledge was immunising enough of the population that we had intellectual herd immunity. Each stupid person was insulated by several layers of educated people from any other stupid person. Then social media gave every stupid person a direct line to every other one. We connected enough of the stupid people that we lost herd immunity, and now we're sick.
Old 20th May 2020, 18:24     #268
Trigga*happY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I think of it the other way around. Scientific knowledge was immunising enough of the population that we had intellectual herd immunity. Each stupid person was insulated by several layers of educated people from any other stupid person. Then social media gave every stupid person a direct line to every other one. We connected enough of the stupid people that we lost herd immunity, and now we're sick.
The cynic in me appears to be holding the reins at the moment I guess
Old 20th May 2020, 18:33     #269
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Then social media gave every stupid person a direct line to every other one. We connected enough of the stupid people that we lost herd immunity, and now we're sick.
It's an illness comorbid with many others.

For one we've got politicians with all eyes on them teaching us how to deflect challenges while offering no substance.
Old 20th May 2020, 19:49     #270
Trigga*happY

"He that is to govern a whole nation must read in himself, not this or that particular man, but mankind"

The whole idea of the social contract that was the backbone of the american revolution was based around this premise. The Hobbesian concept of "state of nature" presupposes that the worst of humanity will come to the fore when left to it's own devices.

What i'm yet to see in Leviathan, is the situation of when a population knowingly and willingly appoint the worst aspects of humanity to the paramount role, a leader who openly incites a "war of all against all" and a return to "state of nature" but under HIS rule.

"bellum omnium contra omnes" (war of all against all)

While we aren't facing the same level of problems as America, it still seems as though our leaders are failing to address the base premise of who is fit to govern, and what their responsibilities actually entail.

Personally, I see democracy as a wartime solution, and post wartime solution. Once enough time lapses, and the horrors of war are no longer prevalent in the minds of the populace or the politicians. The desire to do whats right for mankind during war is simple. The desire to do whats right when there is no gun pointing at your population is somewhat harder. It also encourages leanings towards doing right for the "particular man" so as to better position yourself during your encumbency and to grease wheels for life after your time serving your country.

A reformed version of democracy needs to be established, one that harks back to the original premise, but in a modernised version of it's elegant simplicity.

And yes, i'm reading Hobbes, Leviathan. It's quite an interesting read if you're into that kind of thing
Old 21st May 2020, 10:38     #271
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
It's an illness comorbid with many others.

For one we've got politicians with all eyes on them teaching us how to deflect challenges while offering no substance.
agreed.
Old 28th May 2020, 11:00     #272
Nich

Social media is indeed about to get fucked.

Trump will sign an executive order on social media companies: White House spokeswoman
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-t...-idUSKBN2333BT

Lets celebrate!

hopefully we won't see those godawful banners on every site "Hey, looks like you want the truth on COVID19, we know the truth so here's what you should be reading / watching"
Old 28th May 2020, 11:16     #273
Cyberbob

You know that's in direct response to Twitter finally doing something about Trump's misinformation, yea?

Trump threatens to shut down social-media platforms after Twitter put a fact-check warning on his false tweets
Quote:
Twitter had long been criticised for allowing the president to spread conspiracy theories and smears against opponents despite its policies against the promotion of disinformation.

Twitter has declined to take action against the president for the messages about Scarborough, but on Tuesday for the first time it put a fact-check tag on some of Trump’s tweets.

The president wrote two tweets claiming “There is NO WAY (ZERO!) that Mail-In Ballots will be anything less than substantially fraudulent.”

Twitter tagged each of the two messages with a blue exclamation mark and warning message, linking to articles in The Washington Post, CNN, and other outlets that debunk the president’s assertion.
Old 28th May 2020, 15:12     #274
Trigga*happY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich
Social media is indeed about to get fucked.

Trump will sign an executive order on social media companies: White House spokeswoman
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-t...-idUSKBN2333BT

Lets celebrate!

hopefully we won't see those godawful banners on every site "Hey, looks like you want the truth on COVID19, we know the truth so here's what you should be reading / watching"
Great way to lose millions in tax revenue. Watch all the social media platforms move their headquarters out of the U.S.
Old 28th May 2020, 16:55     #275
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Trump will have forgotten all about this by tomorrow.
Old 28th May 2020, 17:16     #276
Trigga*happY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Trump will have forgotten all about this by tomorrow.
Normally i'd agree... but he can't help himself when it comes to twitter, and if he see's "fact checker" on bunches of his posts, he's the type to see it as a pissing contest.
Old 28th May 2020, 19:09     #277
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

No, I mean he'll have forgotten about being pissed today and blathering on about executive orders and regulation, and tomorrow he'll be pissed about something else.
Old 28th May 2020, 19:38     #278
Lightspeed

Word is we'll see an order within the coming hours. Which I really hope is the case. It could be truly beautiful to see unfold.

Trump is an addict threatening to call the cops on his dealer.
Old 29th May 2020, 20:42     #279
blynk

Social Media, Trump, Oils my Gears.
Where should this stuff go.

This is getting good, i need some popcorn
https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americ...fying-violence
Old 30th May 2020, 01:29     #280
Lightspeed

Something is gonna come to a head, that's for sure. The whole drama is a bit mind bending, I can't get my head around all the angles.