Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 11th June 2010, 09:06     #22761
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelgänger of someone
Jesus it is HARD to write a really probing email without seeming too probing.

Q1: Do you think XYZ is a real cunt?

1. Yes 2. No 3. I'm XYZ you fuckface
I would imagine conversations of that nature are better done in person, on an encrypted line, or in an open field, with plausible deniability. Or with encrypted USB sticks through the internal mail.

Or you could use the corporate email system and be open to OIA queries, employement relations litigation and general "he said/she said"ness.

Last edited by StN : 11th June 2010 at 09:07.
Old 11th June 2010, 10:23     #22762
CCS
Stunt Pants

Posting work comment here because it's not so much a gear grind, just amusing.

On Monday, the guy who does the other shift in the dept I'm normally working in will be away, so I'm returning to fill in for that shift. Tuesday, I'm on annual leave. The woman in charge of the dept I'm in now doesn't seem to have clicked that this means she'll have to find someone to cover the first two days of next week. I'm covering in here to begin with. As it is, I don't even want to be here and I'm doing this second week begrudgingly. On Tuesday, when I was called at home to be told "Oh yah you're actually needed a second week as well" I asked how much longer I'd be covering and that I wasn't interested in continuing this. I was told "well we can discuss that." Now it's Friday and the silly woman still hasn't done anything to 'discuss' the situation with me ("we'll discuss this later" is a code phrase for "I never intend to address this issue and I hope it will resolve itself. Eg, "I'm not patronising you" "Actually you are" "We can discuss this later"). It's incredible to me that she doesn't seem to have clicked that I'm not willing to keep working in here and anyway, two days of next week are completely out of my hands regardless of what I do. It's like how she doesn't realise that most people who work here can't stand her.

So uhh yeah... this is all going to be quite lol for me as it develops.
Old 11th June 2010, 10:24     #22763
doppelgänger of someone

Re: StN

It was just a humorous way to illustrate my problem, it is a happy conundrum (if there is ever one...) It is just that it is hard to balance grace and discretion with a genuine desire to know what the other person is thinking.

I spend what, 2 hours thinking about how to do it then I say fuck it, I got better things to do and decided to do it later.
Old 11th June 2010, 11:33     #22764
StN
I have detailed files

Yeah, but that's not as juicy.
Old 11th June 2010, 15:06     #22765
Juju
get to da choppa

Orcon fail lol.
Old 11th June 2010, 19:15     #22766
MadMax
Stuff

whenever i've gone bush, seeing a curled up fern frond just makes me go aawwwwwwww.

imagine my shock when i learned they were eaten. http://www.newzealand.com/travel/med...ts_feature.cfm
Old 11th June 2010, 20:01     #22767
verve_rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Amen to that.

I used to have a DSE Super-80 - It was a very basic ealry 80's Aussie pre-PC. The monitor (ie pre-Basic boot loader) would respond to syntax errors thusly:

>
EH?
>_
Funny you should bring that up. I helped my Mum move house this weekend and I managed to rescue a precious childhood memory from her garage:

Still got most of the bits:

And the screen:

But NOOOOOOO! The monitor cable is missing! So, not owning a TV in to which I could plug the RF out, I tried my PC:

Close, but no cigar:

But wait! I remembered that I still had a box of random crap from when I moved out of home a decade ago... could it be... no I wouldn't have packed that... I'll just go to Jaycar tomorrow and get a DIN plug to make my own... fuck it, this is bugging me now... I'll just have a quick look...

Right at the top of the box in my closet, fucking success:

And now it goes:

And I was all set to accuse you of being old with a dodgy memory until I realized that Super-80 != System-80:

Yeah! Now we're computing like it's 1980!

Last edited by verve_rat : 11th June 2010 at 20:02.
Old 11th June 2010, 20:14     #22768
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

Haha
Old 11th June 2010, 20:20     #22769
p01s0n

lol that owns so hard, see if you can get it to post on nzgames somehow.

edit, shared with some bros on IRC

Quote:
<url> http://www.iforce.co.nz/View.aspx?i=qz4l1ifo.jpg
<url> now "thats" a money shot

Last edited by p01s0n : 11th June 2010 at 20:22.
Old 11th June 2010, 20:39     #22770
dylan
Huh?

shit man, that's probably worth some money...to someone
Old 11th June 2010, 20:48     #22771
chiQ
Frag-muff

Holy crap! That rocks
Old 11th June 2010, 21:16     #22772
xpandnz

Does it beep every 108 minutes and have to type in some numbers to stop the world from ending?

That seriously is epic as bro!
Old 11th June 2010, 21:49     #22773
madmaxii

A long, long time ago I used to work for a Mini computer company.
To delete files you used the "Kill" command. That would respond with "Are you sure", "Yes" would be the normal reply. Now, If you wanted to delete everything except the system files you used the "Massacre" command. The 1st response, "Are you sure?", "Yes", then "Are you really, really sure?", No", response "Oh well, perhaps some other time". Good times
Old 11th June 2010, 22:40     #22774
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by verve_rat
And I was all set to accuse you of being old with a dodgy memory until I realized that Super-80 != System-80:

Yeah! Now we're computing like it's 1980!
Excellent - I even had one of those monitors! I think the DSE stock code was very close to THX-1138 ?

The closest I have gotten to resurection is the MESS emulator and a set of Electronics Australia articles I dug up in the archive at work.

Last edited by StN : 11th June 2010 at 22:43.
Old 11th June 2010, 22:41     #22775
Stalk3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxii
A long, long time ago I used to work for a Mini computer company.
To delete files you used the "Kill" command. That would respond with "Are you sure", "Yes" would be the normal reply. Now, If you wanted to delete everything except the system files you used the "Massacre" command. The 1st response, "Are you sure?", "Yes", then "Are you really, really sure?", No", response "Oh well, perhaps some other time". Good times
yea but back then computers we're actually a midget in a box typing back to you
Old 11th June 2010, 22:46     #22776
?>Superman

Old 11th June 2010, 22:48     #22777
StN
I have detailed files

^^ That was soo easy to hack - the worms in the mines travelled along a predefined path that you could see by resetting the colour palette.
Old 11th June 2010, 23:09     #22778
dylan
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalk3r
yea but back then computers we're actually a midget in a box typing back to you
The Chess Machine

awesome slice of history (from memory there was at least some truth to it??) right there
Old 11th June 2010, 23:50     #22779
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
The closest I have gotten to resurection is the MESS emulator and a set of Electronics Australia articles I dug up in the archive at work.
Yeah - so the best I can do at this late hour is a screen snap from MESS:

Old 12th June 2010, 00:01     #22780
chiQ
Frag-muff

I'm getting a 404 error image, Stoolie.
Old 12th June 2010, 03:45     #22781
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpandnz
Does it beep every 108 minutes and have to type in some numbers to stop hellameke from ending?
p01s0n is asleep on the job.
Old 12th June 2010, 10:11     #22782
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiQ
I'm getting a 404 error image, Stoolie.
That's wierd - I loaded up a small png, then a bigger one with the same name - using the direct URL from the Hellameke paste works for the new one, but the old one comes up even on another machine.

Ahh - it may have moved. (Dunno how I got a copy to render out here in the shed after I deleted it last night from the upload machine inside?)

Last edited by StN : 12th June 2010 at 10:13.
Old 12th June 2010, 10:38     #22783
MadMax
Stuff

shift or control refresh
Old 12th June 2010, 10:48     #22784
StN
I have detailed files

Doesn't explain how another machine picked up the old image after I had "deleted it" from the Hellameke. The new one was koozed 'cause I didn't drop it in the subfolder.

Last edited by StN : 12th June 2010 at 10:50.
Old 12th June 2010, 10:50     #22785
MadMax
Stuff

forced refresh also tells any caches between you and hellameke to re-retrieve the image.

(see: squid manual)

Last edited by MadMax : 12th June 2010 at 10:51.
Old 12th June 2010, 10:54     #22786
StN
I have detailed files

Ahh - fairy nuff.
Old 12th June 2010, 13:36     #22787
smudge
Ich Bin Ein Grey Lynner

Only in huntly:
Quote:
A Waikato groom who was in a swinging sexual relationship with a bridesmaid has been sentenced to five years' jail for confronting family with an ornamental axe after he was caught kissing the woman on his wedding day.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...651409&ref=rss
Old 12th June 2010, 13:42     #22788
p01s0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
p01s0n is asleep on the job.

edit: updated the link in my sig to go through to the actual page where you can login/register for hellameke.

Last edited by p01s0n : 12th June 2010 at 13:43.
Old 12th June 2010, 14:13     #22789
Lightspeed

I don't understand this fad of teenage girls attempting to sail solo around the world.
Old 12th June 2010, 16:33     #22790
Spoon1
Mmm... Sacrilicious

Well they're already having anal sex in the classrooms so what's left to do?
Old 12th June 2010, 16:40     #22791
Reformed_Quint

It pisses me off I missed out on these new age sluts.
Old 12th June 2010, 19:05     #22792
ChaosWulf
Don't worry, be harpy

Devil grin

Happy birthday, Baal.
Old 12th June 2010, 19:37     #22793
xpandnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed_Quint
It pisses me off I missed out on these new age sluts.
http://www.oligoville.com/wp-content...nfusedjpg.jpeg
Old 12th June 2010, 23:26     #22794
Spink

No, you wouldn't need the b, due to the accentuation mark. Pay attention, or be as silent as the "Silent E" you believe.

do wut
Old 13th June 2010, 12:19     #22795
Nich

Dreamt about Warrick last night.

I was pretending not to be bored while this girl i used to hang with dragged me around while she shopped etc (she was shopping in The Warehouse as if it was some posh Newmarket joint). I was wearing this jacket I've been meaning to throw out IRL, and i took it off and threw it in the bin.

We were sitting having lunch in the mall (plate of eggs and toast). There were chairs but no tables, so we balanced the plates on our knees awkwardly, and talked with some locals about something or other.

Anyway, we were kinda finished shopping and were walking away through Mt Albert-esque suburbs when we bump into Warrick. And Warrick is a musician on his way to a band practice or busking or something, carrying a full-sized keyboard in a softcase over his shoulder, and his keyboard amp in hand.

We talk for a while about stuff. The girl hints she doesnt look forward to walking the long way home, Warrick has a van, and offers a lift. So we all walk to the van which is about 100 meters away down a connecting alley path to get to the street parallel to the one we're on.

We get to the van and somehow she has the keys, we get in and she starts driving away. And I realise Warrick isnt with us. He's slower than us because of the keyboard / amplifier etc he's carrying. We just drive off without him. I say to her "Perhaps he didn't mean for you to take his van? maybe? Turn around."

So she turns around and we go back and pick him up. Then i woke up.
Old 13th June 2010, 13:11     #22796
A Corpse
talkative lurker

Who else thought "uh-oh" at "Warrick has a van".
Old 13th June 2010, 13:48     #22797
p-b

I expected that story to end up something like "so I decide I need to go to the toilet before we leave and when I get back, Warrick is banging her in the back of the Van".
Old 13th June 2010, 15:16     #22798
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-b
I expected that story to end up something like "so I decide I need to go to the toilet before we leave and when I get back, Warrick is banging her in the back of the Van".
This is surely how Warricks version of the dream would have ended anyway..
Old 13th June 2010, 15:42     #22799
Nich

she's hot. The hottest i've ever known. He would have been well into it.
Old 13th June 2010, 15:46     #22800
Spoon1
Mmm... Sacrilicious

Indeed, a disappointing "climax" to that story...