Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 5th August 2021, 12:03     #42721
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
Personally, I love meeting people with insane theories like that. I have an overwhelming urge to see how deep the crazy goes.
He thrust an Android phone in front of me with some Youtube playlist loaded up, and it was all Alex Jones Infowars type shit. "Just educate yourself," etc etc.
Old 5th August 2021, 20:10     #42722
Lightspeed

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
He thrust an Android phone in front of me
Alright, what's the shade you're throwing here?
Old 5th August 2021, 20:32     #42723
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Built by, owned by, controlled by Jews.
Old 5th August 2021, 20:33     #42724
Lightspeed

Oh, lolz.
Old 6th August 2021, 06:15     #42725
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Built by, owned by, controlled by space Jews with rockets that have curved glass to distort the flatness of earth to simulate a sphere.
Old 6th August 2021, 06:30     #42726
StN
I have detailed files

If you can catch it quick, zoomed in from 6 miles away, a full Starship stack in the making - B4+SN20

So last weekend, Booster#4 was in two parts. Everyday Astronaut has a walk around video with Elon (53 minutes? Yeah like I have time for that - 53 minutes later, face agape...) as they add the grid fins to the top section. They added four. Then they stacked it and welded it. Then, overnight, they added 29 engines and plumbed them in. Then they drove it down the road to the still being welded together launch platform. Then it got lifted on.

People were astonished at the pace.

Whilst this was happening, the wings (with heat shield tiles this time) were being added to SN20.

Then there were reports that its 6 engines had been added (3 sea level and 3 vacuum raptors), and that it might be ready for testing.

This morning, SN20 is at the pad, ready to be stacked onto the booster.

Biggest. Rocket. Ever.

Elon mentioned he was keen to have a test flight before the end of August. Looked like Elon time a week ago. Then he made a throwaway comment that StarBase was running at Warp 9 - now I know what that means.

Last edited by StN : 6th August 2021 at 06:33.
Old 6th August 2021, 06:55     #42727
StN
I have detailed files

I wondered about the missing tiles - turns out this is a weight and test fit check - not quite ready for a launch, but enough to put the willies up Boeing and Bezos.
Old 6th August 2021, 13:20     #42728
Lightspeed

Big Smile

Ab, can we start a rocket thread and dig out all of StN's rocket related posts and put them in there?
Old 6th August 2021, 18:25     #42729
MadMax
Stuff

I swear I've never seen anyone covid scanning when entering places lately. Certainly feels a bit odd when you're that one guy.
Old 6th August 2021, 19:59     #42730
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

I've never scanned in anywhere. Once I held my phone up and pretended to after Mum did it.
Old 6th August 2021, 23:55     #42731
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
I've never scanned in anywhere. Once I held my phone up and pretended to after Mum did it.
Not something to be proud of. Any particular reason? Privacy is easily stronger on the NZ app than ANY of the other apps I can think of, including any of the Aussie ones.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 7th August 2021, 13:03     #42732
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
I swear I've never seen anyone covid scanning when entering places lately. Certainly feels a bit odd when you're that one guy.
Admittedly, I've stopped. I was doing it a lot, then it fell off a little when I would forget, and then I just got to a point of not even bothering.

Yes, I know the idea is scanning now, so if something did happen we may only have to do a small quick lock down (or none at all), but we have done reasonably well at the borders and keeping it out that the chances are low for the inconvenience.

Also, Google tracks everywhere I go + Credit Card/Eftpos purchases. I could very quickly put together exactly where I have been in the last 2 weeks.
Old 7th August 2021, 14:34     #42733
ceer

Quote:
True, but I really only "scan" at supermarkets/liquor stores now, I manually enter it as it seems to be quicker than trying to auto scan, but yeah do not really see people scan at the supermarket anymore.

Went to the last day of the food show in Auckland last weekend with some friends, man talk about being packed like sardines in a tin with hardly any room to move, got the VIP ticket so at least you can take a breather and relax every now and again, if anyone had Covid there it would have infected everybody for sure.
Old 8th August 2021, 11:37     #42734
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceer
I manually enter it as it seems to be quicker than trying to auto scan
My iPhone 10 was a bit slow, and seemed to need a really good angle with low reflection and good contrast - but my 12 can do it from behind the person in front in half a second - hardly have to break stride.

Then again, I don't get out much.
Old 9th August 2021, 20:47     #42735
MadMax
Stuff

applied to the bank for a second home loan. forgot to include rent on our current home as an income. left the deposit section blank but requested we use our current "floating" loan balance. loan approved regardless

WTF

Last edited by MadMax : 9th August 2021 at 20:49.
Old 9th August 2021, 21:22     #42736
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

What housing bubble?
Old 10th August 2021, 09:58     #42737
blynk

Quote:
applied to the bank for a second home loan. forgot to include rent on our current home as an income. left the deposit section blank but requested we use our current "floating" loan balance. loan approved regardless

WTF
Does the rent go into your bank account where you are applying for the loan. They can probably already see it, and you aren't a borderline case where they will inquire more into.
Old 10th August 2021, 11:25     #42738
pxpx

https://www1.electricityinfo.co.nz/h...efresh=fa lse

I'm no power market/transfer expert (is anyone here?) but is this showing me that power capacity was never hit over the last 24 hours despite transpower requesting blackouts because capacity was hit?

Flick CEO on the radio this morning making suggestions that transpower was jacking up prices on the wholesale market that exceeded retailer bids, then said k soz guys, its rolling blackout time.
Old 10th August 2021, 11:31     #42739
pxpx

https://www1.electricityinfo.co.nz/price_indexes

another one (again I'm not really sure exactly what this means) but is that chart showing a cost of between 15-17 cents per kWh up until the cold snap, then all of a sudden we're above 130?
Old 10th August 2021, 12:50     #42740
Lightspeed

It's a neolib dream! We got old folk to spare thanks to our brave COVID response, if a few die from cold, who can complain?
Old 10th August 2021, 13:50     #42741
pxpx

Well yeah, if that's what the charts are showing, it's pretty fucked how's there's no provision for a guarantee of supply in scenarios where the market can't deliver but there's capacity to meet demand. It'll be interesting to see if that's the case (ie 'market' forces causing blackouts) and what the governments response is to it.
Old 10th August 2021, 14:07     #42742
blynk

Pretty much.
There is capacity. And this has nothing to do with coal at Huntly, or Gas exploration (although National are definitely pushing this line).
This has more to do with profit margins and the retail market.
Old 10th August 2021, 17:02     #42743
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Thumbs up

It's going to be great when everyone is forced to use electric vehicles and we can replace the high price of petrol with electricity companies that put us over a barrel.
Old 10th August 2021, 18:40     #42744
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
Does the rent go into your bank account where you are applying for the loan. They can probably already see it, and you aren't a borderline case where they will inquire more into.
No, we currently live here and plan to rent it out after moving.
Old 11th August 2021, 11:45     #42745
blynk

Quote:
No, we currently live here and plan to rent it out after moving.
Was going to mention that you come claim tax back on the Mortgage interest if you have lived in the house.
But that is changing in October anyway.
Old 12th August 2021, 18:16     #42746
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...iracy-n1276611
Old 12th August 2021, 18:31     #42747
crocos

Yeah, so that's a thing. Fuck.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 12th August 2021, 19:44     #42748
MadMax
Stuff

Nothing says you've past peak SSD drives quite like taking machines to the recyclers with them.

Last edited by MadMax : 12th August 2021 at 19:47.
Old 13th August 2021, 18:56     #42749
Nich

Taliban about to be all over the news, or strangely absent from news.
Old 13th August 2021, 19:42     #42750
Lightspeed

Al Jazeera has been covering them extensively for awhile now.

I was amused my a statement by some of the negotiators how if the Taliban don't come to the table they will be isolated from the world. Pretty sure that Taliban's response to that is "good".
Old 13th August 2021, 21:31     #42751
Nich

The geopolitics news i've read is "China and Iran are going to legitimize the Taliban's diplomacy efforts... then they will make deals to trade for rare earth resources!" . Uh, I think there's something more news worthy about a very costly 20 year war and nation building / regime change effort that just got entirely unwound in less than a month.
Old 13th August 2021, 21:42     #42752
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

All those lives, all that misery… for nothing. Fuck.
Old 13th August 2021, 22:23     #42753
Lightspeed

Good luck to anyone building industry in the region. So many competing interests.
Old 14th August 2021, 11:26     #42754
Nich

Maybe start a nationwide service / maintenance service for all the commandeered vehicles, drones, weapons, tents, air conditioning units.

I recall reading the US military running costs being in the tens of billions per year each for random things like air conditioning, M1 Abrams tanks (jet fuel, engine idling 24/7) etc. All for nothing.
Old 14th August 2021, 12:29     #42755
MadMax
Stuff

Aussie military has the same level of waste. Kiwis go dumpster diving for Aussie gear.
Old 14th August 2021, 14:00     #42756
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich
All for nothing.
It funnelled trillions of dollars of taxpayer money into the hands of a few. Mission accomplished.
Old 14th August 2021, 15:33     #42757
Nich

Yeah, there is that.

US is asking the Taliban for mercy to spare it's embassy. Totally something a world super power would do.
Old 14th August 2021, 15:53     #42758
Lightspeed

The invasion of Afghanistan was at its core people doing their best not to waste a good crisis.

Just like we could address our local social ills if we were willing to make the investment, Afghanistan could have been rebuilt into something stable that existed for its own interests.

Or... we could invest in police and prisons/weapons and armed forces.

After all, if not for Afghanistan, how would have US and allied armed forces maintained their combat experience for so long?

How will they maintain it now?
Old 16th August 2021, 08:50     #42759
Cyberbob

Some war photographer is pretty damn proud of themselves right now.

Bottom, A U.S. Chinook helicopter flies near the U.S. Embassy in Kabul, Afghanistan, Sunday, Aug. 15, 2021. Helicopters are landing at the U.S. Embassy in Kabul to aid the evacuation of the diplomatic mission amid Taliban advance.

Above that, US diplomats evacuate from embassy via helicopter as the PAVN & Viet Cong capture of Saigon, Vietnam, 1975.
Old 16th August 2021, 11:22     #42760
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I’ve been thinking of the symbolism all weekend, but I didn’t realise it had been captured on film. Epic.