NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 26th July 2021, 12:33     #921
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

(all the stuff about Labour's super-great KiwiSpeech programme moved into the existing thread in Politics)
Old 27th July 2021, 01:53     #922
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

https://areomagazine.com/2021/07/23/...lture-war-era/

In my day we got raped to sleep by dickwolves and we liked it
Old 27th July 2021, 02:02     #923
Lightspeed

The author lost me at their little tribal spiel:

Quote:
It’s hard to predict how much influence the progressive milieu will have on media in, say, ten years. Although the trend in recent decades has been in the direction of progressivism, since about 2014, the left’s “Great Awokening” has been notable for its aggressiveness, embrace of illiberal values, opposition to free speech and due process, embrace of cancel culture and moral grandstanding. This has, predictably, produced a backlash. Although some of the backlash has itself been harsh and illiberal, I believe that progressives have lost the moral high ground. They are pushing a moral agenda and forcing concessions from the makers of D&D despite little evidence that those changes have any practical value. And, though they don’t like hearing it, it is fair to compare what they are doing to the Satanist moral panic that the D&D community experienced in the 1980s and 90s. Cultural influences come and go: Christian conservatism eventually lost much of its cultural influence in the United States, partly due to its rigidity and censoriousness. Whether modern progressivism will suffer the same fate remains to be seen.
What's really going on is the expertise that develops concepts such as "safe spaces" is not the same expertise that attempts to apply these ideas. Perhaps because the people who genuinely manage to improve our understanding of human nature aren't the sort that seek power and authority?
Old 27th July 2021, 02:37     #924
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

so what you're saying is... you're with the dickwolves?

dunno man, the point at which my brain started shutting down was somewhere around D&D needing "wheelchair-accessible dungeons"
Old 27th July 2021, 14:50     #925
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
so what you're saying is... you're with the dickwolves?

dunno man, the point at which my brain started shutting down was somewhere around D&D needing "wheelchair-accessible dungeons"
The wheelchair accessible dungeons piece is a bit of a "whatever" for me - its got ramps instead of stairs basically, and wheelchairs are not actually mentioned. If I was running a dungeon, I'd prefer ramps as they're easier to drag prisoners up/down - they might be able to get leverage to attack me if there was steps. I would miss the occasional excuse for extra "'e was resistin' guvna!" casual brutality though.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 28th July 2021, 11:58     #926
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
The wheelchair accessible dungeons piece is a bit of a "whatever" for me - its got ramps instead of stairs basically, and wheelchairs are not actually mentioned. If I was running a dungeon, I'd prefer ramps as they're easier to drag prisoners up/down - they might be able to get leverage to attack me if there was steps. I would miss the occasional excuse for extra "'e was resistin' guvna!" casual brutality though.
But you would have to keep up with the maintanence of those ramps. All that dampness in those dungeons, I would imagine the would be a lot worse for slipping on compared to stairs.
Old 28th July 2021, 14:19     #927
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Auckland University professors sign letter stating that while indigenous knowledge contributes to our understanding of the world, "it falls far short of what we can define as science".

They are

a) correct, and
b) gonna get smashed for this

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/scient...ZUTPYP2Q3CSLM/

You're not allowed to point out that the Emperor is naked.
Old 28th July 2021, 16:22     #928
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
But you would have to keep up with the maintanence of those ramps. All that dampness in those dungeons, I would imagine the would be a lot worse for slipping on compared to stairs.
Prisoners go in, they don't come out.

Old 28th July 2021, 18:12     #929
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
b) gonna get smashed for this
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/auckla...5Y4DXACKKJU54/

Auckland University professor resigns over letter claiming Māori knowledge isn't science
Old 28th July 2021, 19:20     #930
fixed_truth

'Offensive', 'racist' Australian island to change name, but not everyone agrees
Was reading this thinking it's a bit rough as it's an actual last name, then got to this bit:

Quote:
Lake Macquarie City Council councillor Kevin Baker said Coon Island was named after its original inhabitant Herbert Heaney, who was a man of Anglo-Saxon origin.
Hmm not his last name?

Quote:
"Herbert was a coal miner and when he used to come back out of the pit, he got a very unfortunate nickname," Baker said.
Yikes.

Last edited by fixed_truth : 28th July 2021 at 19:21.
Old 28th July 2021, 19:22     #931
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

#strayacunt

Reminiscent of this.
Old 2nd August 2021, 01:02     #932
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
A world-renowned sports scientist has entered the debate about Laurel Hubbard's participation in the Olympics, saying you can have inclusivity and fairness in women's sport, but you can't have both.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/spo...E2JROKEBUCNQI/
Old 2nd August 2021, 10:04     #933
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
world-renowned sports scientist has entered the debate about Laurel Hubbard's participation in the Olympics, saying you can have inclusivity and fairness in women's sport, but you can't have both.
Fairness isn't a scientific term, it's a subjective value judgement. Yes, the Olympic standard of 12 months therapy does look to be too short based on the current evidence (although this data was gathered from military personnel not athletes & didn't account for changed in exercise training changed over time) but afaik over time residual advantage continues to decrease with hormone therapy, the "science" isn't there yet. This is important because we only need to get to within the normal variation between woman athletes.

Quote:
"This is sport's unsolvable issue. There is no solution that satisfies both sides of the polarised debate. The moment you have that there is no compromise to be found,"
Since when do decisions have to satisfy everyone?There's loads of political & societal solutions that occur all the time that I'm not satisfied with.
Old 2nd August 2021, 10:07     #934
fixed_truth

Quote:
For the first time in 109 years, an Olympic gold medal was shared in athletics after high jumpers Mutaz Essa Barshim of Qatar and Gianmarco Tamberi of Italy chose to both become champions.
PC gone mad, I am unsatisfied!
Old 2nd August 2021, 11:49     #935
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Everyone gets a prize
Old 2nd August 2021, 13:26     #936
blynk

That leads to an interesting discussion.
So the Football/Hockey/Sevens etc ends in a draw. Can both teams decide not to have a penalty shoot out/etra time and both take the gold?

The golf had a 7 way draw for bronze that they had a play off for. Were they all allowed to take bronze.

I assume it must be written in the laws of athletics (high jump) where they can decide to do this.
Old 2nd August 2021, 13:32     #937
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Why even get to the draw? Everyone should just agree that everyone was the winner.
Old 2nd August 2021, 14:04     #938
Lightspeed

Laugh

Fuck that, I don't need everyone's agreement to know I'm winning.
Old 2nd August 2021, 14:26     #939
Lightspeed

Oh, but it's not about that, is it? "Winning" in this context means privileged access to resources.

Yeah, nah, we can't be having everyone getting what they need, amirite? That might mean our betters might miss out on having as much as they can.
Old 2nd August 2021, 14:57     #940
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

cunning plan by the white athlete to negate the genetic advantages of the black athlete, get him to agree that they both "won"

take that, privilege!
Old 2nd August 2021, 15:03     #941
Lightspeed

They DID both win. They beat the system, good on them.

After all, it's a cunt system within a cunt system, that focuses resources on the "best" indifferent to the rest.
Old 2nd August 2021, 16:11     #942
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
I assume it must be written in the laws of athletics (high jump) where they can decide to do this.
Yeah the officials gave them the option.
Old 3rd August 2021, 11:54     #943
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

bUt TeStOsTeRoNe

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/olympics...ne-controversy
Old 3rd August 2021, 12:21     #944
fixed_truth

So biologically female but with naturally occurring levels of testosterone? Interesting. Wouldn't the 'people who went through male puberty shouldn't compete as women' crowd be okay with them competing because any natural biological advantage is not to do with being natal male? Like the biological advantage of a woman being unusually tall.
Old 3rd August 2021, 13:39     #945
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Exactly. Assuming she's not a man like Caster Semenya, it just seems to be that Christine Mboma is unusually fast and strong for a woman. She doesn't have a male body or possess an unfair advantage from having experienced androgenisation through male puberty; she's just physically gifted.

We don't disqualify female basketball players because they're unusually tall.
Old 4th August 2021, 04:59     #946
crocos

The Activision-Blizzard frat-house

Looks like there's some actual consequences happening.
https://www.wowhead.com/news/j-allen...ers-for-323650

Old 7th August 2021, 22:16     #947
fixed_truth

Exclamation Triggered

Old 8th August 2021, 12:46     #948
[LvN]N3misiS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
I believe Epictetus wrote about this almost 2000 years ago. He had a slightly different take on things.
Old 9th August 2021, 17:22     #949
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
In other words, the same stuff that happens at every olympics
Old 9th August 2021, 19:03     #950
fixed_truth

Not in the same way it happened in this Olympics. Hence why conservative outrage.
Old 9th August 2021, 19:54     #951
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I haven't seen anything happen at this Olympiad that hasn't happened at others. Hell, here's the fucking Master Race literally walking arm-in-arm with one of the mud people in Nazi Germany.

The new bit is the outrage. It's almost like there's a multibilliondollar industry that needs us to be enraged by everything to maximise its profits...
Old 9th August 2021, 19:57     #952
xor

stale ol' heritage media
Old 9th August 2021, 22:24     #953
Know me.

The men's high jump was an anomaly. Only an idiot would have risked a sure gold medal for the chance to win a gold medal.

The lack of spectators encouraged competitors to cheer for each other or we haven't noticed it before.

The US track and field team sucked. Not even a medal in events they have dominated in the past. They got squeezed out of the middle distance a long time ago and now they are losing the short distances. The performances of the winners is world record class. Its a lack of cheating, getting caught cheating, the rest of the world catching up or just short of talent.
Old 10th August 2021, 11:40     #954
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Know me.
The men's high jump was an anomaly. Only an idiot would have risked a sure gold medal for the chance to win a gold medal.
I was wondering if being tied was fairly common but all the other times they've chosen to do a jump off.
Old 10th August 2021, 11:45     #955
fixed_truth

Another racist putting his hand up. No doubt encouraged by those academic racists recently.

What percentage Maori are you? businessman Troy Bowker asks Sir Ian Taylor
Old 10th August 2021, 12:00     #956
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

The sentences on the science conflict seem strangely out of place in that article.
Old 10th August 2021, 13:47     #957
xor

https://www.newsroom.co.nz/conservat...x-chair-speaks

Quote:
"One of the biggest issues for Perkins, Hills and Silverwood is iwi members’ conflicts of interest not being declared or managed.
For example, Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Waewae chair Francois Tumahai is a director of coal mining company Bathurst Resources – his profile says “Francois is an ardent supporter of the mining industry” – and is a board member of the New Zealand Institute for Minerals to Materials Research. Tumahai, who is married to Ngāi Tahu kaiwhakahaere (chair) Lisa, is also chief executive of the hapu’s commercial arm, Arahura Holding Ltd, which has interests in mining, commercial property, forestry and a pounamu shop.
Hills accuses the three iwi representatives on the board – Tumahai, a community appointed representative, and Kara Edwards and Veronica Baldwin appointed by Ngāi Tahu – of blatantly pushing economic interests rather than advocating for conservation. The board had become so mired in debate about procedure it had achieved nothing in two years, she says. “That is so frustrating when we have these huge, massive problems facing humanity and yet we haven’t been able to work together.”
Old 10th August 2021, 13:55     #958
Know me.

Quote:
I was wondering if being tied was fairly common but all the other times they've chosen to do a jump off.
A quick look on the Internet revealed that the rules were changed 5 years ago. I can't see why but this result is probably unforeseen.
Old 10th August 2021, 15:30     #959
fixed_truth

Wrong thread?
Old 10th August 2021, 17:38     #960
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

The man: ok darkies, you can have your “tino rangatira-whatever” over your lands

Darkies: (makes money from natural resources)

The man: no not like that