NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 12th February 2010, 18:58     #2481
David

Doesn't buffer for me, might actually get around to watching Entourage now!

But seriously, Important Things with Demetri Martin is ABSOLUTELY hilarious -my wife doesn't like geeky humour at all, but she's sat her pissing herself through the first two episodes of Season 2, she wants me to redownload Season 1.
Old 12th February 2010, 19:11     #2482
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

Demetri is awesome, I remember when I first saw If, I
Old 15th February 2010, 00:17     #2483
Chrono
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Started watching Friday Night Lights quite a while back when someone in this thread first recommended it. Definitely one of my favourite shows and although the focus on football slipped over the last couple of seasons, the characters really did grow on you. Just saw the final episode of the final season. wow
Old 15th February 2010, 00:23     #2484
Chrono
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

lol okay there's a fifth season, fu edit time
Old 15th February 2010, 09:35     #2485
dylan
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
But seriously, Important Things with Demetri Martin is ABSOLUTELY hilarious -my wife doesn't like geeky humour at all, but she's sat her pissing herself through the first two episodes of Season 2, she wants me to redownload Season 1.
Old 15th February 2010, 11:50     #2486
StN
I have detailed files

The much hyped "Leigh Hart's Mysterious Planet" was pretty much more of the same, and in some parts (ie the broken pen) a rehashing of old Sports Café bits. But with a globe full of patsies. I'm looking forward to the Roswell crowd recognising him from the Cryptozoology conference.
Old 17th February 2010, 22:07     #2487
Cyberbob

Has anyone seen the series "Free Agents"?

Just saw an ad on telly for it, looks good, but I can't seem to find any linux iso's for it.
Old 17th February 2010, 22:16     #2488
crocos

Looks like a series based around this. Shall have to take a look-see for it.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 18th February 2010, 18:00     #2489
ceer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Looks like a series based around this. Shall have to take a look-see for it.
Interesting....got one of the guys out of Green Wing. Will be checking it out.
Old 18th February 2010, 21:35     #2490
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceer
Interesting....got one of the guys out of Green Wing. Will be checking it out.
Yea, that's the main reason I'm after it.
Old 19th February 2010, 08:12     #2491
herp

Old 19th February 2010, 08:38     #2492
?>Superman

^looking forward to that
Old 20th February 2010, 11:14     #2493
MaZeR

^yes please!

Also, Archer is so LOL
Old 21st February 2010, 12:08     #2494
?>Superman

Devil grin

I want more Survivorman. Man vs Wild is just horseshit compared to it tbh.

Don't like Bear as a host (what the fuck was that shit about him getting all soggy and emo in the jungle talking about how alone he felt - he's with a whole fucking camera crew).

Dammit they should have kept the concept of survivorman going with some other survival expert, maybe with Les narrating or something.
Old 21st February 2010, 18:17     #2495
Markh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?>Superman

Don't like Bear as a host (what the fuck was that shit about him getting all soggy and emo in the jungle talking about how alone he felt - he's with a whole fucking camera crew).

Dammit they should have kept the concept of survivorman going with some other survival expert, maybe with Les narrating or something.
Les only made 3 seasons - I think it was really hard work surviving AND lugging the camera gear around & filming it.
Old 21st February 2010, 18:20     #2496
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

I can't stand Bear, Les for life!
Old 21st February 2010, 20:37     #2497
Lightspeed

I couldn't get past the first season. It was too dark. But it does look pretty interesting...
Old 22nd February 2010, 07:30     #2498
David

Bear is way more entertaining and covers off situations of extreme survival, rather than practical survival.

If you want to learn how to survive with limited experience and in complete isolation to any help, Les Stroud.

If you want to learn how to do some pretty bad ass stunt style climbing/falling and have a laugh at the same time, Bear Grylls.

Personally I think Les Stroud's show was a little stupid due to his need to constantly go back and forth for his camera equipment, having a camera man with him allows Bear to worry more about "How can I demonstrate a survival technique" - also, Bear doesn't spend half his episodes playing harmonica.

PS... Everyone should give Spartacus a go, I've watched the first episode this weekend and then ended up getting all five and watching them back to back, very 300 in the way it's shot and presented, lots of tits, they say Cunt every episode and the acting is half decent considering the number of Kiwis on the cast.
Old 22nd February 2010, 08:55     #2499
gentle

Quick question to nzgames...

Does anyone know if Pauly D slept with the crazy jewish chick?
Old 22nd February 2010, 10:05     #2500
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentle
Quick question to nzgames...

Does anyone know if Pauly D slept with the crazy jewish chick?
No he didn't.
Old 22nd February 2010, 10:06     #2501
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

Quote:
PS... Everyone should give Spartacus a go, I've watched the first episode this weekend and then ended up getting all five and watching them back to back, very 300 in the way it's shot and presented, lots of tits, they say Cunt every episode and the acting is half decent considering the number of Kiwis on the cast.
Yup, caught on around episode 3~ loving it so far
Old 22nd February 2010, 11:57     #2502
herp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
I couldn't get past the first season. It was too dark. But it does look pretty interesting...
S2 was a lot darker than S1, I don't think you'll enjoy it.
Old 22nd February 2010, 12:05     #2503
Lightspeed

Yeah... I'm interested in seeing how he goes from timid house husband who gets a handjob on his birthday to bad-ass muthafucker though.
Old 22nd February 2010, 13:05     #2504
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

Thumbs up

Watching my way through The Take atm, it's only 4 episodes. If you liked Underbelly you'll love this.
Old 22nd February 2010, 13:22     #2505
_Incubus_

Just saw that Day of the Triffids got a 2 part mini series remake, I thought it was pretty cool. Watchable, not classic Sci Fi at all but killed a Saturday afternoon on the couch.
Old 22nd February 2010, 13:48     #2506
A Corpse
talkative lurker

Yeah that screened on TV a few weeks back (the one with Eddie Izzard).

I think I missed part of the start and I'm ashamed to admit I've never read the book. Where did the triffids come from to start with?
Old 22nd February 2010, 13:53     #2507
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Incubus_
Just saw that Day of the Triffids got a 2 part mini series remake, I thought it was pretty cool. Watchable, not classic Sci Fi at all but killed a Saturday afternoon on the couch.
Yeah, I thought it was watchable too, but I really think they could have done a lot better.
Old 22nd February 2010, 13:59     #2508
[Malks] Pixie

I'm a fan of both the book and the first TV series and thought they did a pretty good job with it actually. Izzard was great as Torrence though :-)

Pixie
Old 22nd February 2010, 14:00     #2509
Markh

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Corpse
I think I missed part of the start and I'm ashamed to admit I've never read the book. Where did the triffids come from to start with?
RTFB!

Seriously - the book is always better than the movie/miniseries/TV Show.
Old 22nd February 2010, 15:11     #2510
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrick
Watching my way through The Take atm, it's only 4 episodes. If you liked Underbelly you'll love this.
Finished the 4 episodes. Absolutely Brilliant. Overall I'd compare it with Chopper the movie, Underbelly with a slight hint of The Sopranos.

I feel spoiled. That was awesome.
Old 23rd February 2010, 10:20     #2511
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpbmM...layer_embedded

Trailer for the new Doctor.. Umm...
Old 23rd February 2010, 12:07     #2512
?>Superman

Devil grin

Quote:
Personally I think Les Stroud's show was a little stupid due to his need to constantly go back and forth for his camera equipment, having a camera man with him allows Bear to worry more about "How can I demonstrate a survival technique" - also, Bear doesn't spend half his episodes playing harmonica.
lol to be fair, he hardly pulls out that harmonica (fuck I hate those things).

I believe the reason he didn't take a camera man with him was because there was too much of a temptation to get handed a snickers bar or something by the camera dude when he was starving. Also the isolation aspect, being alone...that's what seperates him from Bear's show and makes his feel authentic.

That said I'd still rather the show continued with a camera man rather than not continue at all.
Old 23rd February 2010, 12:50     #2513
herp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?>Superman

Let's not forget these juicy morsels about Bear;
* Grylls was shown trying to lasso "wild" mustang in the Sierra Nevada that were in fact tame and had been hired from a trekking station nearby.
* A scene where Grylls was purported to have escaped from an active volcano by leaping across lava, avoiding poisonous sulphur dioxide gas, was actually enhanced with special effects, using hot coal and smoke machines.
* Similarly, another episode gave viewers the impression that Grylls "was a 'real life Robinson Crusoe' stuck on a desert island", while in reality he was on an outlying part of the Hawaiian archipelago and retired to a motel at night.
Old 23rd February 2010, 13:14     #2514
David

Hence, demonstration of survival situations - not "Man pitted against insurmountable challenges in the wild"
Old 23rd February 2010, 13:29     #2515
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Holy shit, you mean mindless entertainment put on television to get me to watch advertisements isn't real?
Old 23rd February 2010, 13:59     #2516
herp

Considering it airs on the Discovery Channel, a channel dedicated primarily to documentaries, I would have thought it would have been a bigger issue. Turns out Discovery thought it was.
Old 23rd February 2010, 14:10     #2517
David

Man vs Wild is a documentary - it presents survival situations in a dramatized way.

The same way that Mythbusters presents science solutions in a dramatized way.

The same way that Dirty Jobs presents disgusting jobs in a dramatized way.

The same way that Deadliest Catch presents King Crab fishing in a dramatized way,

on and on and on
Old 23rd February 2010, 15:43     #2518
^BITES^

Quote:
Man vs Wild is a documentary - it presents survival situations in a dramatized way.

The same way that Deadliest Catch presents King Crab fishing in a dramatized way,

on and on and on
History channel presents history in a ... nvm

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 23rd February 2010, 16:11     #2519
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

Quote:

on and on and on
The same way Warrick presents his sex life in a dramatized way..
Old 23rd February 2010, 16:15     #2520
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

Seriously though. Watch The Take at the earliest possible convenience. So good. Only 4 x 45-50mins episodes too.