Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > Games and Mods > Console Forum
User Name
Password

Old 18th December 2007, 13:18     #1
Phantom
May contain nuts

Podcasts~!

Thought we should gather up any podcasts that people listen to into some sort of sticky...

I'll kick it off:

I listen to 1upyours religiously (about 2 hours, weekly), also downloading 1up Show, watching it whenever I get some spare time (weekly, video, tends to be about 30 minutes i think?).
Old 18th December 2007, 13:29     #2
Kryten

I listen to all of the 1Up podcasts and would recommend them to everyone (including Retronauts, Sports Anomaly and Legendary Thread - YMMV). I'd definitely put GFW Radio over 1Up Yours as a favourite though but listen to them both religiously - both are better than EGM Live. Ziff FTW.

I've tried the Joystiq and Bungie podcasts but have deleted my itunes subs for them - the Bungie one was ok as Halo was getting closer to release (it's also no surprise that it's run by Luke Smith, formerly of Ziff and the 1Up podcasts).

GameTheory is generally pretty good (it's the guys formerly from the Next Gen podcast).
Old 19th December 2007, 19:06     #3
lambchop

yeh never miss a 1up yours or the 1up show ,,,, usually listen to EGM live as well.

full moon show is good if you like things R&C/resistance, think they are on a break though.

and criterion's pod cast is good for behind the scenes stuff re burnout paradise city ...but alex ward and the crew are pretty hard to listen too at times ... good for info though.
Old 19th December 2007, 19:30     #4
TD
Anas Latrina

I listen to the ShackCast.

Never heard 1upyours. How do they compare?
Old 20th December 2007, 20:11     #5
Kryten

Player One isn't too bad, although it's another "let's do this over Ventrilo" type podcast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
I listen to the ShackCast.

Never heard 1upyours. How do they compare?
I've gave Shackcast a listen, it was ok. I won't be deleting it from iTunes, put it that way. 1upyours is (IMHO) way better though and would be well worth your time. It's worth noting that the 1up podcasts are recorded with everyone in the room together, using decent gear (for some reason Sports Anomaly is always encoded at a really low bitrate, probably because they're always shouting).
Old 22nd December 2007, 10:07     #6
Kryten

Bit of pimping here, but this weeks GFW Radio is brilliant and if you haven't listened before it's well worth your time. Don't let the name fool you, they rip into MS on a regular basis and it's not all PC gaming - this weeks show has a big discussion on Super Mario Galaxy and Mass Effect.

Link.
Old 31st December 2007, 17:34     #7
Kryten

Two more to add, Gamers With Jobs and All Games Interactive (slightly wacky).

They're helping to fill the holiday lull and the "OMG this job I'm doing in the yard is so boring give me something to listen to so I don't go mental" moments of the holiday
Old 16th February 2008, 17:45     #8
lambchop

check 1up.com next week ..there's a whole series of special podcasts going up for GDC.
Old 20th February 2008, 17:27     #9
lambchop

1up at GDC

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241880
Old 20th February 2008, 20:22     #10
Kryten

It's an epic week for 1up podcasts, that's for sure.
Old 2nd March 2008, 21:53     #11
Kryten

Episode 2 of Blizzcast is up. It's ok, they've got a way to go (loosen up already! sheesh!) but in this episode Chris Metzen drops some cool stuff about the original Starcraft (which sounds massively spoilery, btw).

Last edited by Kryten : 2nd March 2008 at 21:56.
Old 8th March 2008, 16:05     #12
lambchop

have to 2nd that vote for game theory, good stuff.

btw 1UPyours does a preshow warmup vid now, watch it here:

http://www.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=5848937
Old 8th March 2008, 17:16     #13
silva^

Do these have to be related to games in some way? Seems an odd forum to post it in otherwise.

Anyways Revision 3 has a few good podcasts I get on a weekly basis: Diggnation, Totally Rad Show (fav), Webdrifter, and Internet Superstar.
Old 23rd April 2008, 10:47     #14
Kryten

New one, One Life Left. British, really well made and rather entertaining. Particularly the "adult content" disclaimer at the beginning.
Old 13th August 2008, 06:32     #15
Kryten

Giant Bombcast
Old 7th January 2009, 15:54     #16
Kryten

1Up just got sold, integrated into UGO and basically anyone you cared about (who was left) has been fired. Fuck.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3172156
Old 7th January 2009, 19:00     #17
Phantom
May contain nuts

Crying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryten
1Up just got sold, integrated into UGO and basically anyone you cared about (who was left) has been fired. Fuck.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3172156

This is such terribad news, i'm absolutely gutted
Old 7th January 2009, 20:05     #18
Ultimative

That sucks. Hopefully the guys who have quit/been let go will do something of their own, looks like there's enough experience in who's gone to start something good. Look forward to seeing/hearing what Shane, Phil, Nick, etc get up to in the hopefully in the not too distant future.
Old 10th January 2009, 21:47     #19
Ultimative

For those interested, some of the guys who did 1UP FM have released the first of their new Podcast, RebelFM. Also, it appears that the 1UP Show guys are working on their new show, the first one to be released next Friday (US time).
Old 11th January 2009, 00:15     #20
TD
Anas Latrina

1UP Yours had become my favourite gaming podcast
Old 11th January 2009, 07:54     #21
Kryten

I've started listening to Idle Thumbs as well, worth a go.

Since I'm sure everyone cares, my rotation looks like this now:

Giantbomb
Gamers With Jobs
Rebel FM (hopefully)
Blizzcast (when it's around)
Player One Podcast
Fanboy Lunchcast
Idle Thumbs
One Life Left

Damn that looks short without 1Up Yours, LAN Party (RIP Brodeo), Legendary Thread, 1Up FM and Retronauts
Old 21st August 2009, 15:13     #22
Spink

I don't consider myself as actually owning a console (I have a Wii but only 3 games ) but I still listen to console related podcasts when boredom and ability to destroy said boredom meet a perfect reverse correlation.

Major Nelson's podcasts can be pretty fun and I like the saffa dude on the joystiq podcast. Wouldn't go without Penny Arcade podcast either but that's not really platform specific.

in order:
http://majornelson.com/archive/tags/..._/default.aspx
<need to itunes for joystiq's pretty much> http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=215055576
http://www.penny-arcade.com/padlc.xml

Penny Arcade podcasts are so hilarious to me that I'll often put one on before I go to bed instead of reading or watching an ep of sealab/aqua teen some nights and I still find myself uncontrollably laughing out loud at some of the shit in there.
Old 21st August 2009, 15:20     #23
s0nic

yeh i really like ludwig from the joystiq podcast. i thought the penny arcade ones are really rare??
Old 11th June 2010, 09:59     #24
Kryten

Weekend Confirmed, Garnett Lee's new podcast at Shack has hit it's stride and is quite good (drunk Garnett has yet to make an appearance, thankfully).

Slightly off-the-wall, but Wizards of the Coast have been posting a new series of podcasts featuring Scott Kurtz of PVP and Jerry and Mike from Penny Arcade playing AD&D. Parts of it are drop dead fucking hilarious and although I don't especially like Dark Sun, it's still interesting to listen to (and has made me want to buy the new AD&D rule books, if only to have around for reading).
Old 4th October 2010, 23:18     #25
TnT

Does this really need to be sticky? Honestly?