Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > Games and Mods > Role-Playing Games
User Name
Password

Old 2nd January 2008, 18:04     #1
Draco T Bastard

EVE Online

So, how's EVE these days?
Haven't been in there for a few months and am thinking of reinitiating my account.

Have they put out a full linux version yet?
Old 2nd January 2008, 18:36     #2
A Corpse
talkative lurker

The Linux version I think is just a workaround, not a full native client, but it works and is officially supported.

In in-game news, the war's still grinding on, BoB's still losing space and MC turned on them (or at least said, "screw you, this is our space now, we rent no more, try and take it from us").

Rise fell, CORM got hosed, FIX is taking a hammering.

But goons have been pissing people off left right and centre too with their arrogant crap. In my opinion, whether the destruction of BoB or the self-destruction of the goons happens first is hard to predict. EG Goons appeared to have tried to intimidate KOS several times and there's some debate as to whether they've pointed some neutral-ish parties at KOS.

Influence map here: http://dl.eve-files.com/media/corp/Verite/influence.png
Old 2nd January 2008, 20:57     #3
Claymore

They've apparently just released a shiny new version of the client aswell with much improved graphics. Once I'm settled in Aussie I'm tempted to pick it up again for another blat.
Old 2nd January 2008, 21:49     #4
TB

EVE Trinity. They redid all the graphics, and added something like 2x the content the to game.
Old 2nd January 2008, 23:39     #5
A Corpse
talkative lurker

Yeah the graphics are a huge improvement, though my PC is unstable with the new client so I still run the old.
Old 3rd January 2008, 09:52     #6
Draco T Bastard

Cool - I'll give it another go when I get home.
Old 3rd January 2008, 10:23     #7
plaz0r

Can someone chuck up a screenshot of the new graphics?
Old 3rd January 2008, 11:07     #8
TB

There is a 1080p trailer floating round, try and find that.
Old 3rd January 2008, 11:22     #9
Jenza

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Corpse
But goons have been pissing people off left right and centre too with their arrogant crap. In my opinion, whether the destruction of BoB or the self-destruction of the goons happens first is hard to predict. EG Goons appeared to have tried to intimidate KOS several times and there's some debate as to whether they've pointed some neutral-ish parties at KOS.

Influence map here: http://dl.eve-files.com/media/corp/Verite/influence.png

Intimidate KOS? Er what are you smoking. It's rather hilarious at some of the theory's people come up with. AAA is stomping KOS as they are a bunch of useless retards who pissed off Angry Russians. You don't piss off angry Russians when you're Alliance is full of isk farmers.

You can find the 1080p/720p Trinity trailers at http://myeve.eve-online.com/download/videos/
Old 3rd January 2008, 14:23     #10
A Corpse
talkative lurker

Machariel in Classic and Premium graphics.

Note: The term "premium" doesn't mean "you pay more". It's included in the package, you can choose which graphics to run. The new graphics require an SM3 capable card though.

As for the KOS thing, OK I could have phrased that better. Still, goons seem intent on pissing people off, even more than they used to historically. I won't shed a tear if they implode.
Old 3rd January 2008, 15:34     #11
Jenza

Oh god now you're going to start talking about Honour in an online space game right?
Old 3rd January 2008, 16:04     #12
A Corpse
talkative lurker

What the fuck? Where did I use that word? I'm calling them retards, how is that linked to honour?
Old 3rd January 2008, 16:45     #13
Cyberbob

so tempted to try the trial again
Old 3rd January 2008, 17:34     #14
A Corpse
talkative lurker

No harm in it.

Unless you count getting addicted, losing your wife/girlfriend, turning into a fat, pimply dole-bludging insomniac.
Old 4th January 2008, 21:24     #15
Draco T Bastard

Quote:
Machariel in Classic and Premium graphics.
mmm.... funky new graphics - pity the old 6600gt won't handle them
Old 7th January 2008, 00:55     #16
IoriDyson

started again today... so much faster the 2nd time around... new gfx are shiny Pilot name Kit Dyson. is there a kiwi/nz games corp out in space?
Old 7th January 2008, 01:30     #17
Konev

Quote:
Originally Posted by IoriDyson
started again today... so much faster the 2nd time around... new gfx are shiny Pilot name Kit Dyson. is there a kiwi/nz games corp out in space?
from memory there is ANZAC but you need a fairly big skill set to get into them.

might resub and give it a go again, after something different to play.

Last edited by Konev : 7th January 2008 at 01:34.
Old 7th January 2008, 08:15     #18
A Corpse
talkative lurker

I've sent you some starting cash. Not a huge amount in the scheme of things but it should allow you to buy skillbooks and a better ship.
Old 9th January 2008, 16:02     #19
Konev

yay, restart account have a nice scythe cruiser and head off to collect some things at another station, get 2 jumps into the trip and get locked shotup and podded in .4 space by a gate camper.

what a welcome back.
Old 9th January 2008, 19:10     #20
IoriDyson

cheers dude
Old 10th January 2008, 00:18     #21
A Corpse
talkative lurker

Yeah lowsec can be a little rough. Warp to 0 has made it a little safer, but not exactly a visit to the park. Pays to check the map stats for ship kills and active pilots if you're not flying something that warps on a dime.
Old 10th January 2008, 01:32     #22
Draco T Bastard

Tried my first lvl III missions today. First couple were Ok, bit of a challenge but got through them no probs. Got WTF pwned in the second half of the third one which is what I was expecting - I'm still flying my Thorax. Really should work on getting myself a Myrmidon. Should probably start using medium drones as well.

Speaking of my Thorax:-

hmmm....Funky new graphics.

Quote:
Yeah lowsec can be a little rough. Warp to 0 has made it a little safer, but not exactly a visit to the park. Pays to check the map stats for ship kills and active pilots if you're not flying something that warps on a dime.
QFMFT
Old 10th January 2008, 15:45     #23
Beccara

Yeah i gave up with the TRIN patch, the carrier nerf and jump freighter gap killed our 80 POS network hard, i'll take a look again in a few months
Old 10th January 2008, 17:09     #24
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

I gave the trial a shot about 3 years ago I think.. Might be time to give it another go..
Old 10th January 2008, 18:31     #25
A Corpse
talkative lurker

Jump freighters are hitting the market slowly but at 8bn+ each they're not exactly a common sight yet.
Old 11th January 2008, 13:25     #26
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

My X800 apparently can't run the new graphics Downloaded the classic trial overnight, installed this morning and made a character so I could kick off learning a skill before I went to work.

Just grabbed the first skill in the learning category with a time around 8 hours, hope it was a good choice
Old 11th January 2008, 19:37     #27
A Corpse
talkative lurker

The learning skills are always an excellent choice to put time into. Most people ignore Charisma, or at least only bother with it after the other skills are up a few levels. Int/Mem affect the speed at which you learn learning skills, so if you're into maximum efficiency you can start with those then work on perc/will after. There's pages about which list the "ideal" order to train them, but you might only save hours and minutes.
Old 12th January 2008, 11:57     #28
Draco T Bastard

Auto-piloting through low-sec

Set destination in your navigator.

Warp to Zero, when in warp turn on the auto-pilot, Just after the auto-pilot jumps and before you leave the system turn the auto pilot off. Repeat as necessary.

It gives you the least time between jumps because the auto-pilot jumps as soon as you drop out of warp so pirates et al have a harder time locking you.

The learning skills are awesome - doesn't save you a lot when your skills are low level but will save you heaps later.
Old 15th January 2008, 21:16     #29
IoriDyson

working up to cruiser. woo. joined a good corp. asimov industries. a few nz'ers in there.

avoid 0.4 - 0.0 at all costs! not only will they was ya ship for nothing, but they will pod kill ya aswell... online has a large populous of cunts.. but there are a few good peeps out there... way better proportion that WoW. less kids etc..

JOIN US!
Old 16th January 2008, 01:17     #30
Konev

might join you if possible.

cruiser, and with 1 skill at 35 mil battle cruiser capable here
Old 16th January 2008, 02:32     #31
Draco T Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by IoriDyson
avoid 0.4 - 0.0 at all costs!
Low-sec is Ok, just got to watch where you're going (the map has the option to show recent kills at star systems), what you're doing and who's around you (keep an eye on local). Running missions and mining is pretty much out of the question in low-sec but ratting is fine. You need to have you ship set up correctly as well - I've got my Vexor (The only ship I take into low-sec ATM) set up to run away with wcs, shield regens and a repper. Not the best equipment but it's got me through a few gate camps.

My Vexor is a strange beast as I set it up primarily for salvaging after I'd completed missions in my Thorax. To do this I put on 2x salvager's, 1x tractor beam, a cargo expander and an after-burner. Then I started venturing into low-sec and added a couple of 250mm rails, the warp core stabiliser, the shield regens and the repper. With this set up I'm quite capable of ratting in 0.3/0.4 and am successful at running away when pirates turn up.
Old 16th January 2008, 11:29     #32
Nightcrawler

I downloaded the trial, and still for the life of me cannot work out how to play Eve

Finished the tutorial and now I'm sitting in some random station with no fucking idea what to do. No agents to give me any missions, wtf >_<

Warped to some random places, and still no agents in the space station things
Old 16th January 2008, 11:31     #33
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

I must say, they have made some significant improvements to the new player experience since I last trialed it. The 10 part tutorial followup mission is great and it gets you a proper frigate after an hour or less of playing.

With the money rewards from those missions, along with mining the heck out of the Kernite field that spawns in the second to last mission, gave me enough money to buy a punisher and a decent fit out, plus the blueprint reward let me build 4 more tormentors to have around, just for a laugh.
Old 16th January 2008, 11:35     #34
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler
Warped to some random places, and still no agents in the space station things
Go to the starmap and color the stars by "My Agents", then look for the ones that are big, bright green balls - you should be able to see the agents there remotely. I found about half a dozen in one system about 2 jumps away from where the tutorial missions were.
Old 16th January 2008, 13:33     #35
A Corpse
talkative lurker

If anyone needs some starting funds, just send an evemail to Nadarius Chrome and I'll send you some change. I'm based in Molden Heath, near Gelfiven. If you're close to that I can also give you some modules 'n' stuff.
Old 16th January 2008, 14:35     #36
Draco T Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladin
Go to the starmap and color the stars by "My Agents", then look for the ones that are big, bright green balls - you should be able to see the agents there remotely. I found about half a dozen in one system about 2 jumps away from where the tutorial missions were.
The other option is to go into your character info screen, click on standings, find a faction or corp that you like or think may be helpful and click on their info, click on agents and choose from from there.

Quote:
I must say, they have made some significant improvements to the new player experience since I last trialed it. The 10 part tutorial followup mission is great and it gets you a proper frigate after an hour or less of playing.
They have changed it a lot - I certainly never had a frigate after an hours play. Oh, and unless they've upgraded frigates a lot since I last flew them (about a year ago) then they suck and I recommend that you get a destroyer.
Old 17th January 2008, 20:00     #37
SpaceCowboy
Here be dragons

my corp joined insurgency up north - so far so good, despite my lack of time to really play properly.

i now have a zealot, abaddon, and absolution (this one is way down south tho i miss it so...), and am ripping shit up left and right.

is there much in the way of close range bs fleet fights anywhere else in the universe? all ive seen are sniper fests.
Old 18th January 2008, 00:58     #38
A Corpse
talkative lurker

Only time you'll get to use a close range fit on a BS in a fleet engagement is if they send their support in to tackle.
Old 18th January 2008, 12:57     #39
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco T Bastard
Oh, and unless they've upgraded frigates a lot since I last flew them (about a year ago) then they suck and I recommend that you get a destroyer.
I love my little Punisher. He's taken everything the level 1 missions have thrown at him so far. I started as an engineer, so it's going to take a while to get my spaceship command up to destroyer or cruiser levels, since I'm still mainly focusing on the learning skills..
Old 18th January 2008, 14:24     #40
A Corpse
talkative lurker

Destroyers do more damage than frigates due to having more weapon mounts, but you haven't got any more of a tank than in a frigate, while you do have a higher signature radius (EG you're easier to hit).