MadMax
Stuff

40ae8a90de40ca3afa763c8edb43fc1fc47d75f1
Old 19th August 2015, 22:12     #39842
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
geez, teaching mr 5 year old maths ... hard work
Five might be a bit young. The "concrete operational stage" where kids can work with logic doesn't really develop till around age seven.

Every kid is different of course, just a suggestion.
Old 19th August 2015, 22:22     #39843
MadMax
Stuff

"math" for a 5 year old is limited to the likes of simple counting, reverse counting, finding missing numbers from a simple sequence, finger counting, object number recognition without counting (you know that ooooo is 5 letters without counting them), using fingers to add numbers, learned arithmetic (remembering that 5+5 makes ten without having to work it out), number reading.

Very simple stuff that a 5 year old should know after a few months in a New Zealand school.

Last edited by MadMax : 19th August 2015 at 22:23.
Old 19th August 2015, 23:50     #39844
Cyberbob

Yep, agree with the above.

Finger counting, whats 5 fingers plus 5 fingers, etc. is the building blocks of any kids math education around that age.

My 4.5yo is surprisingly quick at answering a "if i have 2 rows of 3 stars, how many stars is that", and "ive got 6 stars, and if 3 stars get me a super star, how many super stars do i have" - which I think is pretty advanced, but that's about as advanced as it'll get for a good while yet I think.
Old 20th August 2015, 14:28     #39845
Lightspeed

Nazi gold!

The details are sparse, but it sounds like maybe billions of dollars of Nazi gold has been found in Poland on a train. Not sure how a train goes missing...
Old 20th August 2015, 16:00     #39846
Lightspeed

Interesting comment from the Privacy Commissioner about the Ashely Madison leak:
Quote:
He warned that curious minds who wanted to access the details, including employers, insurers and social media users, could breach privacy laws if they treated the information as accurate.
Old 20th August 2015, 17:09     #39847
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

The thought that a bunch of Aspergers nerds (see: a cracking group) has taken it upon themselves to be Morality Police scares the shit out of me. These guys wouldn't know a human social relationship from a fucking thermomix.
Old 21st August 2015, 10:50     #39848
Brutus

Some of them probably had spouses who cheated on them via that site.
Old 25th August 2015, 17:40     #39849
Ajax
Architeuthis

Re doping in sports: fuck it, just make it all legal. The genie's already out of the bottle. Let those ripped freaks run an 8-second 100m. I'm in.
Old 26th August 2015, 08:57     #39850
fixed_truth

Laugh

'Drunk' Polish hammer thrower 'pays for taxi with gold medal'
Old 26th August 2015, 21:14     #39851
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax
Re doping in sports: fuck it, just make it all legal. The genie's already out of the bottle. Let those ripped freaks run an 8-second 100m. I'm in.
Fuckn lol. Battle of the druggies. A+ would watch again
Old 27th August 2015, 09:31     #39852
pxpx

They should totally allow an open grade for GE/StimPak atheletes, would be awesome.
Old 31st August 2015, 23:21     #39853
MadMax
Stuff

Trying to work out how much jetstar would have to pay me before I got their tickets.
Old 22nd September 2015, 17:56     #39854
Lightspeed

Joined a gym today that does high intensity group workouts. Haven't been to the gym in a couple of years. Threw up halfway through the workout. Seems like a good gym.
Old 23rd September 2015, 01:51     #39855
MadMax
Stuff

Thumbs up

Old 23rd September 2015, 16:28     #39856
pxpx

Closed my linkedin account. Feels good.
Old 23rd September 2015, 22:51     #39857
Cyberbob

I took this photo years ago, but I have absolutely no idea who it is. Any clues?

No further comments. by Rick McQuinlan, on Flickr
Old 24th September 2015, 21:06     #39858
crocos

If you want to try Uber, tomorrow is a pretty good option:

Quote:
Today we are proud to be celebrating our 1 millionth trip in New Zealand, an incredible reflection of the way Kiwis have embraced the availability of safe, reliable and affordable rides at the touch of a button.

To celebrate reaching 1 million rides, we’re offering everyone the chance to ride with Uber for free. Simply enter the promo code 1MILLIONNZ and between 6am-8pm tomorrow we’ll give you two free rides worth up to $20.
And no, I don't get any kick-back from that.

OTOH if you DO want to give me a kick-back, code "7qjm2ue" would get both myself and whomever tries this as their FIRST Uber trip upto $25 off. Combine the two codes and you could get up to $65 off from 3x Uber fares tomorrow. Just sayin'

*whistles*

OK, I'll piss off now

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 25th September 2015, 15:25     #39859
MadMax
Stuff

I have 5 phones on my desk

My old personal iPhone 5c that I'm yet to pass to my wife
My work iPhone 5s
My usual desk phone
An IP phone that's on a helpdesk calling group
A branch phone so I can answer calls above the call of duty for the counter staff

Yes, I need to do something about it
Old 1st October 2015, 22:32     #39860
Lightspeed

Feel bad for the people who owned this:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/new...ition-complete

Quote:
The MV Tuhoe is now completely demolished, with only its remains left to clean up.

The 96-year-old vessel ran aground at the Waimakariri River on Sunday afternoon. It was headed to Kaiapoi after receiving a $200,000 repair job in Lyttleton.
Old 1st October 2015, 22:39     #39861
Lightspeed

Harvey Norman doesn't know how to internetz:
http://www.odt.co.nz/news/national/3...m-price-glitch

Midnight sale prices fucked up, not fixed till 8am. Then they email everyone using CC.
Old 2nd October 2015, 03:37     #39862
Native
I... err - F*ck It.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed

Midnight sale prices fucked up, not fixed till 8am. Then they email everyone using CC.
Impressively stupidly bad.
Old 2nd October 2015, 06:31     #39863
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
A Privacy Commission spokesman said the depth of the breach sounded fairly limited - to email addresses - and the cause appeared due to human error.
Limited depending what value you place on your email address.

Noobs.
Old 2nd October 2015, 17:02     #39864
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed

Did the credit cards get deducted at all?

do credit card points get dropped when a payment is credited back?
Old 2nd October 2015, 18:49     #39865
fixed_truth

Surely Harvey Norman is protected under the law with obvious mistakes like this?
Old 2nd October 2015, 19:10     #39866
MadMax
Stuff

Yes
Old 6th October 2015, 09:38     #39867
Juju
get to da choppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
Closed my linkedin account. Feels good.
Just closed mine too. I never got anything out of it apart from spam from recruiters.
Old 6th October 2015, 10:09     #39868
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju
Just closed mine too. I never got anything out of it apart from spam from recruiters.

Yep, IMO it was useful when I signed up 8 years ago, but the more 'functionality' they added, the less useful I found it.
Old 6th October 2015, 16:55     #39869
Deadmeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
Surely Harvey Norman is protected under the law with obvious mistakes like this?
Yes they are, but because of the circumstances the buyers have a maybe/sortof case. Retailers are protected under the CGA against obvious pricing errors however because they were apparently advertising some big sale it's a bit more of a grey area, opening the door for the buyers to argue that they thought they'd lucked out on a deal.
I'm of the opinion that these people must have seen a heap of stuff reduced, figured there had been a fuckup and decided to buy it in the hopes they could put the screws to HN.

I remember dealing with almost this exact scenario a few years back at a comp store i worked at.. A suppliers price list had come through with an error which fed onto our website resulting in an extremely high end video card being priced at $1. Some pimply little turd bought one, paid by credit card and then when I told him we weren't going to sell it to him for that his mummy wrote us a letter telling us we had to honour the sale because we'd "accepted his payment" and if we didn't then she was going to take us to the disputes tribunal... It was extremely satisfying to copypasta the relevant portion of the CGA and tell her if she still wanted to go to disputes then I couldn't wait to see her there.
Old 6th October 2015, 17:11     #39870
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
How long did the "erroneous" pricing remain live? Changed after the first transaction? Technical error. Still live after 100 transactions? Mmm, smells like marketing.
Old 6th October 2015, 18:20     #39871
Diirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
How long did the "erroneous" pricing remain live? Changed after the first transaction? Technical error. Still live after 100 transactions? Mmm, smells like marketing.
Midnight - 8am though, its quite likely they scheduled the prices to go up automatically but didn't check them properly, then didn't catch the mistake til people got there the next morning.
Old 6th October 2015, 18:43     #39872
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

No fucking way did a big ecommerce thing happen at midnight with a supervision schedule of "oh I'm sure it'll all happen as intended, we'll just check transactions when we get in to work in the morning"
Old 7th October 2015, 00:45     #39873
Cyberbob

I doubt anyone involved in the midnight go-live switch over would know or have the carefactor in even considering that the listed prices weren't as intended.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 7th October 2015 at 00:47.
Old 7th October 2015, 00:56     #39874
Lightspeed

Yeah, I totally wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't some manager who came in at eight and was all:

"So how's that sale going?"

WTF?"

"WTF?!"

Cue panicked email response which results in all recipient addresses being exposed.
Old 7th October 2015, 08:32     #39875
pxpx

I'd say that there was one person responsible for checking prices/functionality post deployment, and that person either didn't do it (but said they did), or did a really half-arse job of it.

Project Manager: "IT has said the pricing file has been loaded can you test to validate?"
Tester: *checks one price* "Yeah, looks good"
Old 7th October 2015, 10:59     #39876
Juju
get to da choppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
No fucking way did a big ecommerce thing happen at midnight with a supervision schedule of "oh I'm sure it'll all happen as intended, we'll just check transactions when we get in to work in the morning"
Knowing a little of HN operations - I won't say what - but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if that's exactly what happened.
Old 7th October 2015, 15:30     #39877
fixed_truth

So did they not think it through or is having everyone thinking that HN is run buy a bunch of clowns good for business?
Old 7th October 2015, 22:15     #39878
crocos

What the fuck, Australia?

I mean I'm used to some weird shit coming from the land where Mum was born, but what the fuck, really?
Quote:
Originally Posted by A good cunt called Dominic Serventy
The machine-gunners' dreams of point blank fire into serried masses of Emus were soon dissipated. The Emu command had evidently ordered guerrilla tactics, and its unwieldy army soon split up into innumerable small units that made use of the military equipment uneconomic. A crestfallen field force therefore withdrew from the combat area after about a month.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية

Last edited by crocos : 7th October 2015 at 22:20.
Old 10th October 2015, 12:20     #39879
MadMax
Stuff

http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=962220630

Only 45k?
Old 10th October 2015, 14:12     #39880
Lightspeed

Oh my lolz.

Maybe they're looking for someone to work cheap in exchange for support gaining residency?