User Name
Password

Old 22nd July 2016, 10:05     #1841
Savage

Sorry to hear StN
Old 22nd July 2016, 10:30     #1842
blynk

Thats sad to hear Stn.

We have 2 cats very similar. A ginger and a black cat.
The ginger is older (by about 7 years) and heavier (he got to 13kg), and he too likes to try and hold down the other and have his way. Although since the younger one has grown up, it hasnt happened as much.

Last edited by blynk : 22nd July 2016 at 10:33.
Old 25th July 2016, 12:27     #1843
FireStorm
Holmium

Sorry STN, always tough with the furry ones. Was a handsome boy too.
Old 25th July 2016, 19:11     #1844
leadinjector

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuY_z6EJORU

muh butters, the bulldog
Old 25th July 2016, 21:28     #1845
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Big up Stoolie - and huge up to your son, holding a paw during the blue juice is a man's job.

Sounds like Toffee was a good pal for all his natural days and went peacefully. There's nothing to be sad about in that kind of story.
Old 14th October 2017, 15:32     #1846
StN
I have detailed files

Looks like I may have missed a write up earlier in the year. It was a busy weekend - we had a major SAN issue after the events below, and that occupied my time for the hours afterward.

Ahh - the fat black one. Jade. After the passing of Toffee, Jade came into her own. Shed was a little more playful, and a little more demanding. She would push her nose up against the glass next to the front door and meow until she was let in.

We'd taken to putting her out at night - I can't remember why. When inside she would lick the lads eyelids open until she was tended to. This usually meant food. She would thunder around the house, and leave tufts of black everywhere. She had a habit of hiding in the bushes and talking to birds - as if they magically couldn't see her.

She refused to use the cat door, so we had taken to blocking it off, because the Beagle would summons the spirit of Houdini and manage to eek his way through it, even if it was locked.

We have a bit of a hedgehog issue - and when the time of year is right, and fruit is abundant (strawberries here, grapes at the last place) the beagle would have to wake everyone in the middle of the night to let us know that the 'hogs are prepping for winter.

One Thursday night back in February, the Beagle started up. Sounded like a hedgehog, so I yelled at him that it was alright, got some jandals and a robe on, and went for a look. I couldn't see anything, and he wasn't barking at anything in particular. I didn't have to trudge off into the reserve with a shovel full of prickleball to deliver a few hundred meters away as was the usual story. Then there was a loud cat screech - like a cat fight, but louder - coming from somewhere out the front.

Just a cat fight pup, bit of neighbourly dominance, nothing to worry about.

The next day, Jade didn't turn up for breakfast. Or later for dinner. The girl did a bit of detective work, and found a fair bit of black fur, some disturbing spots of blood, and what looked like claws. Or maybe teeth (Turns out they were teeth) down the side of the house. A bit of a blind spot then for the motion sensor lights and the webcams.

When she didn't come back on the Saturday morning, I drew up some fliers and dropped them around all the houses in the area. The girl went off to get her hair done, and then about an hour later we got the call. "Yeah, we think your cat may be in our bush...". It was the house at the end of the street. She was a big cat. And heavy. It wasn't another cat that fought her and dragged her this far - it had to be a dog. And the scuff marks in their garden showed that it had tried to bury the trophy.

Jade wasn't flash - I told the wife not to look, and I wrapped her up in a towel. The bulging eyes and twisted jaw made me think that her head had been crushed, and a large wound on her shoulder was oozing nasty stuff. She was stiff as a board, and encrusted with leaves and foiliage. The wife could barely hold it together as she carried her the 100m or so back to our place.

I rested her on the spoiler of the car, and put her in a bin liner, and placed her in the boot. Time to pick up the daughter, and then swing by the vet to sort out a cremation. I managed to snap some pictures of her new haircut before telling her - she almost smiled in them.

It hit us pretty hard - the whole cul-de-sac had heard the fight, and the policeman next door was going to leave a report at he local community constable.

I have my own theory - there is a couplf of malamutes a few houses aroud from where she was found, and they have managed to get out before. One time, the wife caught one and isolated it in our BBQ area until the owner could be contacted. So it kind of knew us. I've also seen them walking through the reserve and toileting - and they scratch up the grass and bark just like the pattern I saw where Jade was obscured.

But I haven't approached the owners - its all circumstantial.

Anyway, we have a small box of ashes that have sat in the media room since early March. I understand they will be relegated to a shelf in a wardrobe later today.

We promised ourselves that we would get no more pets - the kids were getting on, and we would prefer to be able to travel than have to find sitters - so when Bailey the Beagle expires, we'd be a quiet household. Until I mentioned Bengals.

The daughter is currently enroute from Japan - a school holiday sister city excursion - and is due back tomorrow. That gives the boy a chance to bond with Zena and Rhaegar before she gets here.

Pics may be big and unedited

Old 16th October 2017, 13:15     #1847
Lightspeed

I didn't really even look at my cat that was run over, just put a blanket over it, and put it in a box. It was buried in both. By the muddy tire marks on the road, it look like it had been run over by something that was recently off-road, took the corner wide, must have surprised the cat.

That was a few years ago now.

Anyway, I have a couple of cats now, a pair of moggies, brother and sister. Here's me and Leia watching /r/catgifs:

Old 16th October 2017, 21:00     #1848
orpheus
Jedi Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
I didn't really even look at my cat that was run over

I couldn't look at mine either. I wanted the last mental image of her to be when I left for work that day. I don't suppose your cats brothers name is Luke?
Old 17th October 2017, 15:41     #1849
chiQ
Frag-muff

The white and fawn one, Spike, died on Sunday. Biscuit has the same infection, but is getting antibiotics twice a day. I'm hoping he'll be okay.

This is Sparrow:

Old 26th October 2017, 13:42     #1850
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by orpheus
I couldn't look at mine either. I wanted the last mental image of her to be when I left for work that day.
Yeah, I had nice hugs with the cat before I went to bed, which was the last time I saw him.

Quote:
I don't suppose your cats brothers name is Luke?
The Force is strong in this one.
Old 26th October 2017, 19:38     #1851
leadinjector

This is my little tard

slightly less tard pic

Last edited by leadinjector : 26th October 2017 at 19:42.
Old 27th October 2017, 19:15     #1852
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

"slightly"
Old 27th October 2017, 19:18     #1853
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
I
That was a few years ago now.
I'm secure enough in my sexuality to relate that a couple of weeks ago I was sitting outside drinking in the twilight and Spotify Radio dropped Brown Eyed Girl on me and I cried like a girl, if the girl in question were of nonspecific gender but prone to crying unexpectedly. It's like, 12 and a bit years since I swapped Chanel for a human child and fuck, still kicks me in the nuts.

PS dear universe, if you're reading this I'm still cool with that trade.
Old 1st November 2017, 18:40     #1854
leadinjector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I'm secure enough in my sexuality to relate that a couple of weeks ago I was sitting outside drinking in the twilight and Spotify Radio dropped Brown Eyed Girl on me and I cried like a girl, if the girl in question were of nonspecific gender but prone to crying unexpectedly. It's like, 12 and a bit years since I swapped Chanel for a human child and fuck, still kicks me in the nuts.

PS dear universe, if you're reading this I'm still cool with that trade.
The only people not affected by the passing of a pet are people with no soul.
Old 2nd November 2017, 14:47     #1855
ZoSo

leadinjector: that 1st pic is fucking great.
(ps. GSP or Bisping?)
Old 2nd November 2017, 17:07     #1856
leadinjector

Bisping, i have a gut feeling that GSP has had too much time off and been visited by too many UFOs
Old 3rd June 2020, 17:04     #1857
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Bailey the Beagle

Well, he's all grown up now. Getting a bit lippy in the middle of the night, so the breeder suggested we take him out on the special walk the do every fortnight over winter.

Now before anyone gets all anti-blood sport on me, they've been doing this for about ten years, and have never actually caught anything. These are Latté Beagles - even the farm dogs!

I think that's him in the middle of the pic - he looked overly skinny compared to the others, but the breeder said he was just right, and all the others were fat old buggers. Most of the show dogs were not there because a show was on, so we felt better after that.

Only about 12 dogs this time - hopefully at he next hunt there will be 40 odd, and they'll just all go nuts together. Naturally my one was the only one silly enough to fall into some logging pit that had filled with rain water and was about 2m deep - so we had the pleasure of wet dog smell all the way home!
We stopped taking Bailey to hunts around about the time of the earthquakes once getting around town got tricky.

Instead, we'd take him for walks in the Bottle Lake plantation. One time, I took the daughter Geocaching, with an idea to do a grand tour and locate 5 or 6 of them. As soon as we got far enough away from the road, we unleashed the hound and let him run with the rabbits. We lost sight of him, but were sure with his keen sense of smell we would cross paths again, so trundled on looking for hidden treasures. Just as we were about to come home, I got a call from the wife - just checking up to see how we were tracking. "All good" I indicated, and she asked about Bailey - to which I replied that he is trotting around and we'll get him back on the leash shortly. She didn't sound convinced, then I heard him barking. On the phone. Seems he had left the park, wandered down the road and into someones house, who then checked with the dog ranger who got hold of Mrs Stn etc.

He survived with us through the quakes, and then when it was time to move on, we bought him a new kennel for the new house. He seemed to like his new location - the back fence opened on to a reserve, and he could meet other dogs at the gate as they had playtime, and sit on the outside furniture to watch people passing by.

The previous owners had installed a cat door for their lapdog - the plus side was that the property was Beagle proof - but Beagles are clever and on more than one occasion he Houdinied through the tiny space and then roamed the house, finding smelly treasures and burying them under pillows and in bedding. To this day the wife still can't find several shoes.

My son would take him for runs in the forest, which was even handier being only two blocks away. And after he moved to Otago, my daughter would walk him around the block - a sly 3kms, which he enjoyed.

Just after lock-down, he started slowing up a bit. It was getting colder, so we splurged on an insulated bed for him, and let him in all day while we were home. He seemed to have trouble eating, but if his food was raised he was good. Once up and about the seemed to perk up a bit, so we did a walk to the dairy and back to get an ice cream. He seemed to be trotting in a jaunty way once he realised. We did the dreaded trip to the vet as soon as level 2 allowed, and he was placed on some arthritis meds, which seemed to help heaps. But even then, after a couple of weeks, he stopped eating altogether. His stools were gelatinous, like slugs rather than normal dog turd. His hearing was going, and I think he may have scratched his eye pushing past chicken wire to check out why I had put frost cloth on the chillies. He was not well.

The family had a fair bit on at this point, and with Dad taking a spill and then succumbing to post op pneumonia a few days later, we were dealing with a lot late last week. I got up to him on Thursday night - he'd taken to wandering around the house if he needed to go out, triggering motion sensitive nightlights - but not this time - he just snuffled in his bed and looked up at me. I let him out, and he was limping on three legs, not able to flick his hind paw forward. Once he came back in after an unsuccessful attempt at doing what he thought he needed to do, I lay with him on the carpet. It was clearly time.

Friday dawned and the family got suited up for the doings at Dad's church. Mrs StN called it - the kids agreed when they saw him limping, and the appointment that was for the next Tuesday was brought forward to Friday afternoon.

We left him inside with the heater on to keep him comfortable, but when we returned at lunch time, he let out a yelp - I had no idea he was huddled against he door waiting for us. He was shivering, so daughter put her jacket around him.

Many cuddles and tears were had, then we took him for his last ride in the car. Past the forest, past the beach, and down to the vet.

His ashes will be scattered to the wind from the lookout at the top of the hill, where the grass grows long and the rabbits run free.

Bailey. Forever a puppy, even at 14.
Old 3rd June 2020, 19:55     #1858
Savage

Very sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
heartbreaking
Jesus Stoolie, I'm so sorry mate. My sincerest condolences to you and yours
Old 3rd June 2020, 20:09     #1859
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Oh man. Here's to Bailey.

cheers stoolie. big up.
Old 4th June 2020, 18:38     #1860
Lightspeed

Touching obituary. RIP sweet pup.
Old 1st March 2021, 18:44     #1861
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon, 23rd December 2006
Nzgames, meet Marshall meeting Holly, the new arrival.

http://users.on.net/sgarlick/files/m...eets-holly.mov
MHG's best friend for his whole life went into the blue dream this week. She was old and tired and sore and it was time. MHG patted her head and talked to her as best he could as she faded away.
Old 1st March 2021, 20:41     #1862
StN
I have detailed files

Old 1st March 2021, 21:45     #1863
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
MHG patted her head and talked to her as best he could as she faded away.
Big ups to your boy for seeing it through, that must have been tough as fuck.
Old 4th June 2022, 14:51     #1864
Lightspeed

This is my cat Leia. She's about 10 years old. Very healthy with a strong build. Woe to the local rats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky6S5oPpKqI

She has a brother Luke, however he grew very close to a neighbour's cat, so I was happy to let him go with the owner when they moved away.

Here they are when they were babies, and now I miss Luke.

Old 8th June 2022, 15:33     #1865
Savage

image link fail
Old 8th June 2022, 16:07     #1866
Savage

Meet Egon

Old 8th June 2022, 16:13     #1867
Savage

... since I clearly have no idea wtf I'm doing.

https://imgur.com/a/PiGINpe

From his namesake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCFJlOCDwzc
Old 8th June 2022, 19:17     #1868
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I dread seeing this thread pop up, whew.

Lol, Leia is very talkative.

Welcome Egon. Don't cross the streams.

Jeez, what a bunch of nerds.
Old 8th June 2022, 20:34     #1869
Lightspeed

Yeah, I love how she talks. Although she's mostly just begging for back scratches. She pretty much instantly purrs when she gets any attention.

I figured the thread could use a happy update.

Egon is very cute. 😊
Old 8th June 2022, 20:50     #1870
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I dread seeing this thread pop up, whew.
Half the reason I thought I'd intro Egon

Luke and Leia are great names for pair of kittens Egon was originally "Feta" at the shelter, renamed tentatively to Biggie Smalls on the way home coz he's a heavy little bugger for his size, but then I couldn't resist Egon when I thought of it upon arriving home with him.
Old 18th July 2022, 20:03     #1871
StN
I have detailed files

3rd time on one page - FUCK

Now that the kids are back in Dunedin, and it's just me and wifey around, the cats have become more affectionate - either that or the Christchurch cold has driven them to sleep on our bed. The boy Bengal in particular has come out of his shell and almost lets me pick him up - but he likes scratchy pats when lying in the sun. Pecking order is hard to pick, but I think he submitted to the younger black stray that the kids found in the forest, but still chases his sister around the house in a mad fit of zoomies.

He started small.

But over time he managed to master jumping on to the roof, then on to the neighbour's roof - and then, somehow, on to the second story of the neighbour's roof - so he had good visibility of all he ruled over. And at times, he ruled with an iron fist. One day, the lady from across the road came to the door with a fist full of feathers claiming that our monster had decimated her native birds. To be fair, we did see him pacing through the reserve one day with what looked like a large bird in his mouth, only to pull up the driveway to find most of a rabbit (missing a very bird looking leg).

I don't think he's the one delivering Uber Eats in the form of (usually) dead rats in through the cat door. I suspect the recent wet weather has drawn them out of the swale across the road from the reserve. We woke this morning to find only two cats on the bed - the black panther, and Zena the girl Bengal. And a dead rat in the hallway. The black cat sniffed at it, wondering how it got there. Zena meowed. No sign of Rhaegar.

I fed them and drove off to work (after disposing of the rat of course). Checking the telemetry on the cat door from time to time to see if he had come in for a feed, but strangely nothing. Driving home, I had a missed call from the landline - only two minutes away, so I didn't reply.

I walked in to find Mrs StN very upset and on the phone. She'd just got back last week from nursing her mum post a knee op, so I hoped nothing untoward had happened. "No" she said, "it's Rhaegar."

Facebook and the locals had mentioned they had found a dead cat next to the Vodaphone kiosk in the reserve, just next to the road, and across from where I think the rats come from. She had thought nothing of it until it was mentioned it may be a Bengal. She broke down and a chap offered to help, but she socially distanced that straight away and picked him up and carried him back home.

He was cold and stiff - telemetry indicates he left home mid afternoon yesterday, and I don't recall him coming in the front door, so it could have happened any time after that.

When I got home, both of the other cats were approaching with trepidation. Zena was howling inconsolably. Shadow was confused. We popped him in the car and dropped him at the vet for cremation.

Then the hard bit hit - Daughter had tested positive this morning, so was isolating. Son was picking her up a curry and prescription meds - and his partner is isolating up north some where. We scheduled a call at 6:15 under the premise that we needed to make sure they were Ok with the Covid situation. We knew it would hit them hard, and that even though they were less than 100m away from each other, they would have to process this alone.

It was the hardest Facetime call ever.

Shit - I called them kids - they are both in their 20s now.

Someone else post some pics please.

Master of Catnip

Majestic in pose

The softest glitter-gene caramel fur

Fearless in the face of pink feathers.

Just don't take on a car mate. You used to be so good following me around the block, but not crossing the road. Walking me back up the cul-de-sac.

I will miss you young puss - 2 weeks shy of your 5th birthday.

Last edited by StN : 18th July 2022 at 20:04.
Old 18th July 2022, 22:27     #1872
Savage

Old 18th July 2022, 23:07     #1873
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Shit.

Kia kaha Stoolie and fam.
Old 18th July 2022, 23:22     #1874
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Sorry to hear your tale StN. News that like out of the blue is always shit.

While not technically my pet (sorry for breaking the thread rules), I'll post some pics. This guy was a stray that needed to be rehomed. Someone had taken him in and he had jumped the fence and attacked the neighbour's dog and they called animal control who had said they wanted to put him down. My friend was in the area (Auckland), and she loves animals so she picked him up in the night and brought him down the country to stay with me until we found him a new home.

He's a pitbull mix breed of some description (I'm not a dog expert), and so with the bad reputation they have and his "priors", I expected some asshole dog, but he was really quite lovely. He was not at all aggressive or noisy - I didn't hear him bark until the courier arrived unexpectedly. He took no notice of other dogs when we were out and about, but he was terrified of the big concrete bull statues in Bulls.

He was very obedient and gentle - I'm not particularly brave around strange dogs - and while I didn't even want him in my house to begin with ("I've got a goat shed he can stay in"), he soon had the couch to himself and then slept next to the bed. His only problem was he didn't like being left alone, and would panic whenever he was in isolation and chew or scratch at anything to try and escape (my venetian blinds got attacked when he was trying to look out the window at us). I had fun testing his willpower putting food in front of him and making him wait, or throwing the chew toy - but he was useless at bringing it back.

One woman in Palmy offered to take him but we went to visit her and she was obviously poor and couldn't offer him a good home so we turned her down. Another lady and her daughter from Christchurch said they were ready for a new dog and they seemed like a much better fit. They sent a pillowcase and t-shirt they had worn so he could learn their scent (is that a thing? no idea) and my friend took him on the ferry to Picton where they had driven up to meet and bond with him, and he's now happily settled in to a new home.

Old 19th July 2022, 10:21     #1875
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
Wholesome
Love your work
Old 23rd September 2022, 12:50     #1876
Lightspeed

New pet

Old 17th October 2022, 16:39     #1877
Lightspeed

Swan plant has 15 caterpillars now from what I can count, most very fat. Plus one chrysalis, from the caterpillar in the above picture.
Old 3rd January 2023, 12:46     #1878
blynk

Holy shit, what a story.

So we went away from the 27th - 31st and had our neighbour feed our cats.
We come back and notice the 2yo, really friendly, attention wanting cat (Crimson) was not around.
Strange we thought, but we would give it a few hours. She might be out exploring.
New Years rolls in and she is still missing. There was no signs of being on the road. Our neighbour said she didn't see Crimson on the 30th either.

So we start putting out notices. She has gone missing before and was locked in a garage. We tried a few of the close neighbours and walk around the neighbourhood at night hoping to hear something. We have a security camera that captures the footpath of our driveway. Its a slow process but we pick some times to look through and didn't see anything.

The 2nd rolls in. Still nothing. So we do a few more door knocks and here is where it starts to get interesting. Most of the neighbours are more elderly and very friendly.
One mentions that when they were walking their dog, they saw an Asian mum and son giving Crimson a lot of attention.
So we head back to the cameras and actually spot that on the night before Crimson was last seen (29th). We checked with the person feeding and she said thought she saw Crimson, but may have got the dates wrong.

So the video footage.

29/12 9:14pm: The kid spends about 10 minutes patting and trying to pick Crimson up. The mum takes a couple of pictures. They carry on with their walk. This was what our neighbours with the dog saw.

29/12 9:29pm: They are walking back and spend a few more minutes with Crimson and leave.

We thought that was all that happened.... Nope.

29/12 9:44pm: The video is getting a bit harder to see as its darker, but it looks like the boy has gloves on, they have a torch and a bag (maybe cat food??)
They kid is down our driveway with the mum at the top - at times standing behind a bush.
The kids picks Crimson up from the bottom of our drive and carries her all the way up to the top and puts her down next to the mum, but Crimson runs back down. They spend another minute hanging around the top of the drive (behind bush and fence) maybe trying to call her. Then disappear. Maybe cars driving past spooked them. Seems like they carried on their walk again.

29/12 9:52pm: They walk straight past (in the apparent home direction)

End of story. Nope

29/12 9:56pm: Guess who is back. They walk past the driveway
29/12 10:01pm. Crimson is on the fence that runs down our driveway. Kid starts following her down the driveway and then Crimson goes back up the fence to the top of the drive way.
Everything is out of sight until
29/12 10:04pm. They both quickly walk back in their home direction, and we can see them carrying Crimson (her eyes reflect in the camera).

We don't see them walk past our house again that night or the nights following.
Looking at previous days, we see them often taking walks (not stopping or spying or anything).

Now it time to do a shit load more door knocking. Assuming they walked home to get the bag of food, it was a 15 minute round type. Walking at 5kmh, then that would be 1.25kms. So about 500-600m of houses to door knock on.

I will see if I can post some pictures soon.
Old 3rd January 2023, 14:40     #1879
blynk

Well that was (thankfully) a quick outcome.
After skipping the few neighbours that we had spoken to already. It was 8 door knocks to find them.

They opened the door and immediately recognised the Grandmother who "spoke no English" so started recording. 7 yo boy came out. Apparently the cat looked poorly so they took him.

Ironically, Crimson is skinnier and seems to be sneezing, so she is worse off. Now a call to 105 to report it because who knows if they have more cats there.
Old 3rd January 2023, 17:15     #1880
_indigo1

105 doesn't seem strong enough of a thing to do. No way I'd settle for just a 105 report if someone took one of my babies.
At the least call the SPCA and report them too.