NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Technology & Troubleshooting
User Name
Password

Old 27th April 2015, 18:07     #14881
Spink

MST looks neat and ApplePay in its current iteration will probably never take off because of it.
Old 27th April 2015, 20:21     #14882
[BT]Monza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spink
MST looks neat
What is it?
Old 27th April 2015, 21:10     #14883
Spink

It's a thing that seems to send magnetic ~stuff~ to the swipe part of a thing that takes bank card swipes so it works with existing hardware instead of needing new hardware.

There's a peripheral to do it with iphones and androids (with touchID) https://www.looppay.com/how-it-works/

I think the first phone it's actually in is the Samsung Galaxy S6 and coming out as Samsung Pay later on.

"Samsung Pay" vs ApplePay -> http://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-pay-vs-apple-pay/

Last edited by Spink : 27th April 2015 at 21:13.
Old 27th April 2015, 23:34     #14884
MadMax
Stuff

that's great that it will work for your standard bank card, but not for credit cards. still need to carry a wallet and I like the case my phone has already. sure as hell don't want to bulk it up any more than I need to.

Last edited by MadMax : 27th April 2015 at 23:35.
Old 28th April 2015, 12:56     #14885
BWDOWN

Magnetic stripe is older tech and being phased out pretty quickly across the U.S.
Old 28th April 2015, 14:49     #14886
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWDOWN
Magnetic stripe is older tech and being phased out pretty quickly across the U.S.
Chip cards and <shudder> Visa PayWave (and whatever the MasterCard one is)

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 28th April 2015, 15:13     #14887
Spink

My chip card has been treated well and still behaves shitty in a lot more "insert card" machines than I'd like it to. That whole rigamarole of Insert Card, Now Swipe it, Now Insert it again, now swipe it again, okay now you can enter your pin gets old really fast. Works every time with pay wave at least, I guess.

Don't New Zealand businesses hate pay wave and apple pay because it adds more fees and cuts into their margins. I thought I saw an article Ab(maybe?) posted about it a while back.
Old 28th April 2015, 17:57     #14888
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spink
Insert Card, Now Swipe it, Now Insert it again, now swipe it again, okay now you can enter your pin
Ooh, that's what my corporate card does, but none of my other cards need that. Suspect you (and I) have stuffed up cards.

Old 28th April 2015, 18:25     #14889
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Ooh, that's what my corporate card does, but none of my other cards need that. Suspect you (and I) have stuffed up cards.
Agreed - an ex's card used to do that while my identical one worked just fine (up until a week ago). Now the Paywave chip intermittently doesn't work and I've gone back to having to insert. ANZ lady conveniently called me yesterday offering a free financial review service which was politely declined, but then while she was on the line got her to order me a new card
Old 29th April 2015, 14:28     #14890
BWDOWN

Will the S6 and S6 Edge save Samsung?

Does anyone care?

"The company’s mobile division limped along as consumers flocked to Apple Inc.’s new iPhones and devices made by Chinese brands like Xiaomi Corp. The division’s operating profit fell to 2.74 trillion won, 57% lower than a year earlier."

http://www.wsj.com/articles/samsung-...les-1430266156

"This quarter, Apple sold 61.2 million iPhones, 12.6 million iPads and 4.6 million Macs in the quarter. Compared to Q2 2014, iPhone sales grew by 40 percent while iPad sales declined by 23 percent. Mac sales are up 10 percent. Read all the details about iPhone sales and Mac sales."

http://techcrunch.com/2015/04/27/app.../#.7aqnmj:BC6m
Old 30th April 2015, 13:04     #14891
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

In more topical news.

New tools for effortlessly converting iOS/Android apps into universal windows apps for any device that runs windows.

Still the question exists though, if your market has less than 10% windows market share, do you care? Is any effort, too much effort for something that looks pointless?

On the surface it would seem so but I put forward this argument:

So long as the effort/maintenance to support the windows version of the app does not outweigh the revenue or value (maybe number of active users that has been attributed a monetary value), it is worth doing because from a strategic point of view, regardless of size, its a completely available market with high user enthusiasm / very little competing products that is more likely to grow than shrink (as android/ios are at maturity/saturation).

Note that even if it was deemed that phone was a market that was unlikely to return a profit, other markets using exactly the same code on Windows such as Xbox or PC Desktop may have a far higher and more favorable market share for your proposed app.

Current commentary seems to keep suggesting that 'developers' wouldnt care like they have free reign to decide whatever products they want rather than strategy dictating their product offerings.
Old 30th April 2015, 13:11     #14892
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr selfdestruct
I put forward this argument:

So long as the effort/maintenance to support the windows version of the app does not outweigh the revenue or value (maybe number of active users that has been attributed a monetary value), it is worth doing
Only if you have unlimited resources. The opportunity cost of building and supporting a Windows app is all the money-making iOS work you've missed out on by not focusing on it.

On a side note your post suggests you're still in the trap of thinking that having market share makes you money. It doesn't. Having customers willing to pay you money makes you money. A single iOS user with a credit card generates more revenue than a million Android users downloading free apps.
Old 30th April 2015, 13:19     #14893
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

In more topical news,

Quote:
Samsung's profit sinks 39 percent as mobile profit shrinks

Samsung Electronics Co. said its first-quarter net income has plunged 39 percent as the smartphone business saw its profit shrink to less than half from a year earlier.

Sales fell 12 percent from a year earlier to 47.12 trillion won while operating income dropped 30 percent to 5.98 trillion won, in line with Samsung’s earnings preview earlier this month.

The wider-than-expected drop in net profit was due to a big profit plunge in Samsung’s mobile business. The maker of Galaxy smartphones said its mobile division generated 2.74 trillion won in quarterly profit, compared with 6.43 trillion won a year earlier.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/samsun...004149847.html
In other other topical news,

Quote:
Apple reports record second-quarter results

Apple today announced financial results for its fiscal 2015 second quarter ended March 28, 2015. The Company posted quarterly revenue of $58 billion and quarterly net profit of $13.6 billion, or $2.33 per diluted share. These results compare to revenue of $45.6 billion and net profit of $10.2 billion, or $1.66 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. Gross margin was 40.8 percent compared to 39.3 percent in the year-ago quarter. International sales accounted for 69 percent of the quarter’s revenue.

https://www.apple.com/pr/library/201...r-Results.html
Old 30th April 2015, 14:13     #14894
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Only if you have unlimited resources. The opportunity cost of building and supporting a Windows app is all the money-making iOS work you've missed out on by not focusing on it.

On a side note your post suggests you're still in the trap of thinking that having market share makes you money. It doesn't. Having customers willing to pay you money makes you money. A single iOS user with a credit card generates more revenue than a million Android users downloading free apps.
But there's high user enthusiasm, so, you know. Profit?
Old 30th April 2015, 14:35     #14895
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab

Hold on. I didn't say make instead of. Make at the same time as the iOS app or after its completed. Same time, if done properly would probably add 10% or less effort to the development costs/time. However for that relatively low cost you can hit 4 other platforms (phone/tablet/xbox/desktop) simultaneously and monitor profitability and if even one of those is successful it is probably worth it.

Android users that download free apps stats, are not comparable to the windows user market. You make a good point here though as very little data is available to indicate how successful current windows apps are so you can only take a guess using an arbitrary figure and basing it on total number of active users. Some people have quit their day jobs and are making a profitable livelihood and you could argue that they couldn't have been as successful on iOS or Android because those markets are already saturated with too many apps competing against yours

http://blogs.windows.com/buildingapp...ion-downloads/
Old 30th April 2015, 20:35     #14896
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I just find it amazing that anyone can think "just write the code once, it doesn't matter what the hardware it runs on will eventually be, and we'll make lots of money" in THE YEAR OF OUR LORD 2015.
Old 30th April 2015, 22:41     #14897
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I just find it amazing that anyone can think "just write the code once, it doesn't matter what the hardware it runs on will eventually be, and we'll make lots of money" in THE YEAR OF OUR LORD 2015.
I didn't say any of those three things.

If you make an app eventually the number of new downloads/payments basically flatlines or stops completely. You have the option to do something new or figure out a way to expand the market for said app. This is basically the only reason apps currently come to Windows cos its the easiest and cheapest way to just sell an existing thing into a new market that they know already has demand. Currently the cost often outweighs the potential profit... Maybe not anymore
Old 1st May 2015, 01:13     #14898
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Just an FYI, these guys push such a product:

http://www.embarcadero.com/products/...on-development
Old 1st May 2015, 11:17     #14899
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Unity games editor?

Old 5th May 2015, 18:13     #14900
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Apple ad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDAP9OWtQro

Samsung ad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlUPM7s_7_8

Quote:
Dave Pell
‏@davepell
Samsung is basically a cover band at this point.
Old 5th May 2015, 18:58     #14901
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Wow thats so much effort to go into something so profoundly fucking ugly but full credit to them for fooling rich idiots into buying them, well played.
Old 5th May 2015, 19:38     #14902
Lightspeed

The truly sad state of affairs is how many rich fools there are who can and will buy these things.

This is why we need equality. If not to alleviate suffering, then at least to get the world's resources out of the hands of these idiots.

Old 5th May 2015, 20:57     #14903
MadMax
Stuff

http://youtubedoubler.com/fjBB

Last edited by MadMax : 5th May 2015 at 20:58.
Old 7th May 2015, 13:27     #14904
Lightspeed

New Apple watch owners:
https://vine.co/v/eZTQQd0q35O
Old 7th May 2015, 22:56     #14905
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

You dont even need to hold it up, that shits like a BEACON.
Old 13th May 2015, 15:46     #14906
BWDOWN

If you think Samsungs own ads are bad, check out S6 swagger adverts for Spark on YouTube

Yes "swagger"

*facepalm*
Old 13th May 2015, 18:34     #14907
CCS
Stunt Pants

Those ads are TERRIBLE. Truly and utterly. Some advertising executive needs a slap in the face for coming up with that shit.
Old 21st May 2015, 14:01     #14908
BWDOWN

Well the S6 is another flop from Samsung

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke...-s6-bad-sales/
Old 22nd May 2015, 00:37     #14909
_indigo1

Haven't you heard? It's not trendy to make profits any more.
Ask Amazon or Xero
Old 22nd May 2015, 07:12     #14910
The Edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C08WmKiwcSs
Old 22nd May 2015, 12:01     #14911
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Edge
Gold.

Old 22nd May 2015, 12:06     #14912
pxpx

<3 silicon valley
Old 26th May 2015, 14:56     #14913
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Dear oh dear. Talk about clutching at straws. Tech news sites are saying that Samsung should bring back SD card and removable battery support with the S7 to improve sales.

Yep, that will do it. Maybe the world just wasn't ready for these amazing innovations when the S5 came out? Maybe it was just timing? .........

The S3 was the most successful. Just make EXACTLY the S3 again and keep the price point nice and low. Second hand S3's are a lot more popular than any of the newer models.
Old 26th May 2015, 21:26     #14914
BWDOWN

Nah Samsung mobile is doomed. The only thing making decent money for them is all the chips they produce for Apple phones.

I predict another massive slide in operating profit after the Note 5 and S6 sales tank. Before the end of this year we'll see Apple improve to around 25% market share and 95% profit share.
Old 28th May 2015, 11:13     #14915
Trigger
Laserman

iphones...

https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlike...friends_turns/

If you send the following:

effective. Power لُلُصّبُلُلصّبُررً ॣ ॣh ॣ ॣ 冗

Send that to someone with an iPhone it turns their phone off
To an iphone, it restarts their phone.
Old 28th May 2015, 11:51     #14916
pxpx

Tried it and didn't work.
Old 28th May 2015, 11:53     #14917
pxpx

Oh it only happens if you have texts set up as banner notifications instead of popups.
Old 28th May 2015, 11:57     #14918
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger
iphones...

https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlike...friends_turns/

If you send the following:

effective. Power لُلُصّبُلُلصّبُررً ॣ ॣh ॣ ॣ 冗

Send that to someone with an iPhone it turns their phone off
To an iphone, it restarts their phone.
Also it needs carriage returns so..

effective.
Power لُلُصّبُلُلصّبُررً ॣ ॣh ॣ ॣ
Old 28th May 2015, 13:23     #14919
BWDOWN

Could not replicate either. Banner notifications on and numerous attempts by "friends". No problems at all
Old 10th June 2015, 13:56     #14920
mpx

So my Z3 has spat the dummy twice now, got repaired the first time and now I get the option to either get a replacement or choose a different phone. It seems people in here don't favour the S6 very much? It seems like it's the only real alternative - I loved my Z3, but I've lost confidence in it after having it fail twice on me now.

I have no real issue with no removable battery or extended memory, I don't put much on my phone and stream my music so all my phones have been 16GB and I've never gotten close to that. As far as I can see the S6 ticks a fair amount of boxes in terms of build quality and overall quality of the phone in terms of camera and display etc, is there a reason why people are bagging on it?