Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 21st November 2019, 01:52     #1
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

The Streaming Wars

So I'm already paying for Netflix and Amazon Prime and I'm on the Disney+ freebie trial at the moment. TBH I'm not seeing enough on D+ to justify subscribing. In fact I almost feel like going back to just torrenting everything.

Edit update oh yeah, I was thinking video content but I pay for Spotify too.
Old 21st November 2019, 13:42     #2
Lightspeed

Netflix is a token service I pay for. Good for guests who might want to browse for something to watch.

But I'll torrent stuff even if Netflix has it. No point searching two sources.
Old 21st November 2019, 15:20     #3
Native
I... err - F*ck It.

Pay for Netflix so I'm paying for something.

Torrent because I'm impatient.

Happy to give money, get annoyed when I have to jump through hoops to do it.

I haven't torrented a single game since Steam started global steam keys.
Old 21st November 2019, 17:18     #4
blynk

Same here.

Paying for Netflix, mostly because its easier for the little ones just to watch stuff.
The rest is torrented.
Old 21st November 2019, 17:29     #5
Nich

There it is. Paying for Netflix alleviates the guilt of being such a rampant pirate of TV and movies.

Browsing Netflix is spending 30 minutes deciding to watch the "next best" thing because the movie you thought would be on Netflix just isn't there. You had your heart set on a movie, but instead of seizing the impulse and settling in to watch something, you have Netflix open in one tab, Rotten Tomatoes open in another.

If I can't watch the movie I thought I wanted to watch, then I'm not going to waste my time on something that rates poorly. But yet I'm wasting time reading these damn reviews... now it's 9pm and my movie buzz is gone. I've scrolled to the end of the Netflix page and now it's suggesting documentaries about World War 2 bombers... The page is an endless scroll, but we know we've reached the end.

Time to go to bed. No movie, no conversations. But at least I know that Downsizing scored 20% on Rotten Tomatoes.
Old 21st November 2019, 18:31     #6
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

The only subscription for media I have is Spotify. I barely watch TV shows or movies. The Pirate Bay still rocks. Discographies is my thing (for efficiency), because Spotify has the annoying habit of removing some of the greats I put in my playlists. My sister had/has Apple TV and apparently even if you purchase a movie, if you cancel your sub you can't watch your paid-for content anymore? Bit of a gyp. TV still rots your brain.
Old 21st November 2019, 19:57     #7
StN
I have detailed files

Spotify and Netflix family packs. Less and less Sky. Still buy an arseton of original discs from MightyApe when they are first out.

Get Torrent copies from a nefarious source due to my position being one where I must be holier than thou.

Have a stack of AppleTVs and an Amazon Fire scattered around the house, but don't subscribe (yet).
Old 22nd November 2019, 06:26     #8
creamcheese

Oh man, I just had to pare back, it was getting nuts. I'm far too lazy to torrent anymore and I get to watch most new shit at work anyway so it's really just TV shows for me, right now it's

Netflix
Amazon Prime
Britbox
PBS masterpiece
ESPN+
Disney+
Hulu

I just got rid of PSVue as I was never watching anything on it, except maybe the AMC stuff like Better Call Saul, so I'll just buy that on iTunes. A fool and their money etc etc
Old 27th November 2019, 11:38     #9
[fe]

Current Streaming options Netflix / TVNZ (Taskmaster!)
Talk of D+ but not my bag.
Mulling SparkSport for F1 next season.

With so much choice my tv/movie habit has dropped to pretty much 0. I do have a stackton on things watchlisted on netflix, just cant be arsed.

No Spotify - current discovery path YT/Bandcamp > Physical where poss + digital buy.
Old 27th November 2019, 11:52     #10
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Cancelled D+, not enough there to justify ongoing sub. Maybe when the marvel shows launch.
Old 28th November 2019, 09:33     #11
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Spotify and Netflix family packs. Less and less Sky. Still buy an arseton of original discs from MightyApe when they are first out.
Speaking of MightyApe, I went up to their new Warehouse in Millwater to pick something up recently and it's pretty effin cool. Gaming rooms, free sega rally, yuuuuuge warehouse, friendly staff.
Old 28th November 2019, 09:34     #12
pxpx

And er, um, Yeah just netflix for me. I'll torrent the rest thanks.
Old 28th November 2019, 16:21     #13
fixed_truth

^Pretty much. I guess a smart way would be combining with friends & family to all pay for a different streaming service & share the device logins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich
There it is. Paying for Netflix alleviates the guilt of being such a rampant pirate of TV and movies.

Browsing Netflix is spending 30 minutes deciding to watch the "next best" thing because the movie you thought would be on Netflix just isn't there. You had your heart set on a movie, but instead of seizing the impulse and settling in to watch something, you have Netflix open in one tab, Rotten Tomatoes open in another.

If I can't watch the movie I thought I wanted to watch, then I'm not going to waste my time on something that rates poorly. But yet I'm wasting time reading these damn reviews... now it's 9pm and my movie buzz is gone. I've scrolled to the end of the Netflix page and now it's suggesting documentaries about World War 2 bombers... The page is an endless scroll, but we know we've reached the end.

Time to go to bed. No movie, no conversations. But at least I know that Downsizing scored 20% on Rotten Tomatoes.
The struggle is real.
Old 29th November 2019, 01:57     #14
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

100% can relate
Old 29th November 2019, 06:43     #15
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
^Pretty much. I guess a smart way would be combining with friends & family to all pay for a different streaming service & share the device logins.

The struggle is real.
I've heard tell that Spotify, Netflix and Sky might start enforcing some dubious geolocation tracking to stop concurrent account access from diverse locations - but that negates SkyGo from what I can tell.
Old 29th November 2019, 11:54     #16
pxpx

I watched Downsizing and I thought it was at least a 50%