Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 30th November 2014, 11:16     #3921
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Driving a single-occupancy car from Wellington to Auckland vs a full jet (say Airbus 320) - car puts less pollutants into the atmosphere per person even if you allow for the car to drive around in Akls traffic jams then back to Wellington.
1,800 liters for an A320 to fly for 40 mins (at the manufacture's quoted 2,700 liters per hour fully loaded). With 168 seats for Air NZ that's 10.7 liters per person in fuel; less really since they carry cargo beyond passenger baggage and so the implied number of passengers is higher than 168 when full.

My car can do about 100km on that amount of fuel.

Where does the rest of the pollution come from to make your claim right?
Old 30th November 2014, 11:38     #3922
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing
In fact, if this is the kind of reason you rely on for not voting Green, in the face of the probable realities of climate change, it just comes off as either stupid, or really petty. And it wouldn't be unreasonable for Green party supporters to call tit-for-tat on this score either. Did you even see the National party campaign ads?
Oh please deranged loony, do you honestly not know the difference between politicking and wilful damage? The latter is a crime.

And can you please tell me how the Greens will somehow stop climate change on its own?
Old 30th November 2014, 12:29     #3923
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Blah blah climate change, betcha Nothing still drives a car.
When one is captured by a system that you either conform to or it breaks you down, what's the alternative? Besides, taking the bus isn't solving any problem. Not while Black Friday and cheap consumer goods made by dirty fossil fuels is a thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimp-X
The greens can and will do nothing about climate change. Face it.
I faced it. It kind of went like "We're so fucked, thank goodness I don't have kids... oooh, new Star Wars trailer!"
Old 30th November 2014, 13:11     #3924
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
Oh please deranged loony, do you honestly not know the difference between politicking and wilful damage? The latter is a crime.
Perhaps it is a crime, but the fact of it being a crime does not imply that it is morally bad behaviour. The law is not the arbiter of moral truth.
Old 30th November 2014, 14:28     #3925
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Blah blah climate change, betcha Nothing still drives a car.
Aside from the obviously bad ad hominem nature of what you're saying, and the fact that it seems to demonstrate an ignorance of what collective action problems actually are in the first place, FYI, I haven't had a car for more than a decade.
Old 30th November 2014, 14:28     #3926
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
Perhaps it is a crime, but the fact of it being a crime does not imply that it is morally bad behaviour. The law is not the arbiter of moral truth.
Assertion does not make an argument. You're part of this society; parliamentarians get elected every 3 years to make laws and you get a vote. Unless a law is obvious repugnant, you should feel obliged to obey it.

Seriously, you're just a deranged leftie.
Old 30th November 2014, 14:31     #3927
Nothing

Quote:
Yeah, well, they certainly won't be able to do anything if National voters keep their neo-lib blinkers on and refuse to acknowledge the realities of our environmental situation. The greens might actually be able to do something about it if more people would vote for them, so your assertion isn't necessarily true.
Old 30th November 2014, 14:32     #3928
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
Assertion does not make an argument. You're part of this society; parliamentarians get elected every 3 years to make laws and you get a vote. Unless a law is obvious repugnant, you should feel obliged to obey it.

Seriously, you're just a deranged leftie.
I find that there are fucking plenty of repugnant laws in our society. Where do you want me to start? Just because you don't have any sense of what social justice looks like doesn't make me deranged.
Old 30th November 2014, 15:52     #3929
fixed_truth

Quote:
I see where you're coming from but I think that there's a strong moral argument to seriously cut emissions and also an argument around the many being in the right position to put pressure on the big guys.

I would like to see NZ at least do its fair share ie get it's per capita emissions right down. Even if we do take a somewhat 'bold' approach I reckon it will be a good investment into our Green/Hobbit image. Also the subsidies etc in the ETS mean it's not really working and I'd like to see a price on carbon instead.
Old 30th November 2014, 16:11     #3930
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth

I would like to see NZ at least do its fair share ie get it's per capita emissions right down.
Spot NZ

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...ons_per_capita
Old 30th November 2014, 16:24     #3931
fixed_truth

Quote:
New Zealand's greenhouse gas emissions are small on a global scale (0.15%), however in 2011, our emissions per capita were ranked 22nd highest in the world, and 6th in the OECD
From the MfE briefing for incoming ministers (pdf) released earlier this month
Old 30th November 2014, 21:33     #3932
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Nice post with the 14 year old data there.
Old 30th November 2014, 21:40     #3933
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Old 30th November 2014, 23:54     #3934
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Nice post with the 14 year old data there.
Are you for serial?
Old 1st December 2014, 03:01     #3935
Nothing

What? The first image in the article uses data from 2000, 14 years ago. Therefore, it's true that Ab posted an article which uses data from 14 years ago. I'm just stating the facts in a way that suits the impression I want to give. That's what John Key would do isn't it? Why would you have a problem with that, given that you're all National supporters?

Last edited by Nothing : 1st December 2014 at 03:02.
Old 1st December 2014, 07:37     #3936
chubby

Wink

^^im comfortable with that
Old 1st December 2014, 09:21     #3937
Lightspeed

Thumbs up

Quote:
What? The first image in the article uses data from 2000, 14 years ago. Therefore, it's true that Ab posted an article which uses data from 14 years ago. I'm just stating the facts in a way that suits the impression I want to give. That's what John Key would do isn't it? Why would you have a problem with that, given that you're all National supporters?
lolz
Old 1st December 2014, 09:56     #3938
pxpx

TIL that politicians cherry pick facts in order to support their cause!
Old 1st December 2014, 10:53     #3939
Lightspeed

It explains a lot if you've only just learnt that.
Old 1st December 2014, 11:59     #3940
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

According to Gartner the operation of the Internet is worth about 300 million tonnes of CO2 per year, not to mention the carbon footprint of the manufacturing and supply chain of each individual computer (you think those sticks of RAM you just put in were carried here from Taiwan by fairies or something?). If you truly felt that we are facing an EXTINCTION LEVEL EVENT you would be off the grid planting trees somewhere, or doing something else to counteract the fact that China activates 8 coal-fired powerstations a day.

Nah just kidding, making Internet posts that people who didn't vote Green are assholes is how you really save the planet, keep fighting the good fight bro.
Old 1st December 2014, 12:08     #3941
Lightspeed

Yeah, nah. Engaging in useless moralising exercises isn't going to give our kids a future.

Empty moralising is how we got a PM who apparently can't remember if he communicated with someone the day before. Or is a liar.
Old 1st December 2014, 12:18     #3942
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Kids? People who care about the planet don't have kids. Not having kids is the single greatest and most influential thing any human can do to reduce carbon emissions.

When you see a Green voter with young children, falcon punch that hypocrite.
Old 1st December 2014, 12:21     #3943
Lightspeed

What about people who care about human life on this planet?
Old 1st December 2014, 12:23     #3944
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Yeah, nah. Engaging in useless moralising exercises isn't going to give our kids a future.
You should stop posting then
Old 1st December 2014, 12:31     #3945
Lightspeed

Why, am I disrupting your circle-jerk?
Old 1st December 2014, 12:32     #3946
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
According to Gartner the operation of the Internet is worth about 300 million tonnes of CO2 per year, not to mention the carbon footprint of the manufacturing and supply chain of each individual computer (you think those sticks of RAM you just put in were carried here from Taiwan by fairies or something?). If you truly felt that we are facing an EXTINCTION LEVEL EVENT you would be off the grid planting trees somewhere, or doing something else to counteract the fact that China activates 8 coal-fired powerstations a day.

Nah just kidding, making Internet posts that people who didn't vote Green are assholes is how you really save the planet, keep fighting the good fight bro.
Yeah, noticing that there are huge problems with the energy supply for the internet, or any other similar examples, and then claiming that if I, as an individual, truly cared, I would be off the grid in some commune planting trees somewhere just shows that you don't really understand the nature of collective active problems. Get a better argument dude.
Old 1st December 2014, 12:56     #3947
pxpx

"Get a better argument"

Now I truly have seen it all.
Old 1st December 2014, 13:03     #3948
CCS
Stunt Pants

The solution to global warming is nuclear power. The Greens are against nuclear power. Therefore Greens are against solving global warming?
Old 1st December 2014, 13:07     #3949
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
"Get a better argument"

Now I truly have seen it all.
Except for a better argument that is.
Old 1st December 2014, 13:32     #3950
fixed_truth

TIL that you can't live in society if you want to change the way it functions!
Old 1st December 2014, 14:16     #3951
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
you don't really understand the nature of collective active problems
Collective active problems? I presume that's pampered rich westerner for "someone else fix it".
Old 1st December 2014, 14:44     #3952
Lightspeed

Yeah Margaret, that's what it is.
Old 1st December 2014, 15:24     #3953
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Collective active problems? I presume that's pampered rich westerner for "someone else fix it".
Yeah, have fun picking on the typos. Collective action problems. And you know it. But wait, do you seriously mean to tell me you actually don't know what collective action problems are?

Last edited by Nothing : 1st December 2014 at 15:25.
Old 1st December 2014, 15:27     #3954
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

300 million tonnes sounds like a lot - except that's out of a total of 36 billion.

I'm going to have to do a lot more than post on the internet to kill your children at this rate.
Old 1st December 2014, 15:35     #3955
Nothing

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
300 million tonnes sounds like a lot - except that's out of a total of 36 billion.

I'm going to have to do a lot more than post on the internet to kill your children at this rate.
QFT
Old 1st December 2014, 16:04     #3956
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

NZ is a country of 4 million people in a world of population of 7+ billion and last time I checked it ranked 33rd on greenhouse gas emissions per capita. That equates to a rounding error on the climate calculator. NZ does not count as a contributing factor to world greenhouse gas emissions. Wail, gnash teeth, wear a hair shirt, whatever - insignificant.

Quote:
Unless you're a climate change denier, and/or just plain don't give a shit about the environment, I can't see why you, or anyone for that matter, would prefer National over the Green party.
I think that statement says it all.
Old 1st December 2014, 16:22     #3957
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Could that not be interpreted to mean there are at least 32 other countries who we need to engage with and encourage to reduce their emissions, citing our levels as an example?

It's all well and good to declare it someone else's fault, but we all suffer as a result.
Old 1st December 2014, 16:30     #3958
Lightspeed

This is my thought too. Both with climate change and with spying. NZ could be a world leader in both these regards. But we're not. We're allowing ourselves to be conned in the hope of a few more sparkly shinies.
Old 1st December 2014, 16:35     #3959
pxpx

But how do we ensure equal outcomes for ferals without said shineys? Do we magic them out of hemp?
Old 1st December 2014, 16:41     #3960
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
Could that not be interpreted to mean there are at least 32 other countries who we need to engage with and encourage to reduce their emissions, citing our levels as an example?

It's all well and good to declare it someone else's fault, but we all suffer as a result.
Yeah, and when the National govt does something to increase the ways in which NZ engages with, say, the USA - number 8 on the per-capita list - that's always met with such universal approval.