Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 1st July 2010, 10:31     #1881
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
You're going to take a hit regardless
Yes, though this is temporary and the hit will be proportionate to the businesses polluting. As long as the cost of green technology is at most the same as that cost of old technology + the new carbon cost, then green technology will be a smart business investment. A portion of the money from the ETS goes into green technology development, so the cost of this new technology will be constantly decreasing.
Old 1st July 2010, 10:37     #1882
David

It won't be temporary though.

Once a price level has been set, it's very hard for price levels to drop away. Prices are very slippery going upwards but very sticky coming back down, the reason for this is that the market adjusts to new pricing by raising wages and other things to meet them - wages will not come back down, things like the minimum wage being such a huge percentage of our GDP for instance makes NZ a laughing stock economically.

I'm talking about essentials here, food, clothing, energy. Non-essentials like technology tend to come down in price because demand drops and as you say, the cost of production drops so they can afford lower pricing structures - you'll see drops there, but those are what, 25-33% of total spend?
Old 1st July 2010, 10:55     #1883
fixed_truth

Quote:
It won't be temporary though.

Once a price level has been set, it's very hard for price levels to drop away. Prices are very slippery going upwards but very sticky coming back down, the reason for this is that the market adjusts to new pricing by raising wages and other things to meet them - wages will not come back down
If the gain from production costing less results in people having more purchasing power then is that different from the results of a price drop or not adjusting for inflation?

And there's also a real economic advantage in being able to market a 'green' product over a 'dirty' product.

Last edited by fixed_truth : 1st July 2010 at 10:57.
Old 1st July 2010, 11:27     #1884
David

The reality is the only advantage of a green product is human conscience and stupidity, outside of that at the moment, the cost of green products on the environment are as big, if not bigger than their traditional counterparts (take the production costs and carbon footprint of a Prius in it's entire lifetime vs most V8 cars)
Old 1st July 2010, 11:39     #1885
fixed_truth

Quote:
The reality is the only advantage of a green product is human conscience and stupidity, outside of that at the moment, the cost of green products on the environment are as big, if not bigger than their traditional counterparts
Ahaha snap, you were doing so good to keep up too.

How are products that absorb the same amount of carbon dioxide as they produce, or absorb more than their 'traditional counterparts' - worse for the environment?
Old 1st July 2010, 11:53     #1886
David

Something like the Prius, which has higher costs on the environment to produce, sufficiently higher than the entire lifetime (10-15 years) of the car mean it is worse for the environment isn't hard to work out.

My personal thoughts are that if people want to be environmentally sound, they need to take a hit to the lifestyle via paying more for items or having less access to things such as petrol.

Until that occurs, anyone complaining about the environment makes me laugh.
Old 1st July 2010, 11:54     #1887
David

Back to the topic at large - even Labour freaks must admit that the way National has governed is WAY better than what would have happened if Phil Goff lead his bunch of fuckwits through a term, right?
Old 1st July 2010, 12:10     #1888
Juju
get to da choppa

Correct, but I doubt Auntie would have stepped down if she had won again.
Old 1st July 2010, 12:11     #1889
fixed_truth

Quote:
Something like the Prius, which has higher costs on the environment to produce, sufficiently higher than the entire lifetime (10-15 years) of the car mean it is worse for the environment isn't hard to work out.
Isn't it?
Quote:
My personal thoughts are that if people want to be environmentally sound, they need to take a hit to the lifestyle via paying more for items or having less access to things such as petrol.
That would be good

Until that occurs, anyone complaining about the environment makes me laugh.
Good luck waiting for that to occur. People (and industry) generally wouldn't choose to take a hit in the pocket for the environment and that's why the Government steps in.
Old 1st July 2010, 12:12     #1890
fixed_truth

Quote:
Back to the topic at large - even Labour freaks must admit that the way National has governed is WAY better than what would have happened if Phil Goff lead his bunch of fuckwits through a term, right?
Dunno, you'll have to ask a Labour freak.
Old 6th July 2010, 16:44     #1891
adonis

Quote:
The reality is the only advantage of a green product is human conscience and stupidity, outside of that at the moment, the cost of green products on the environment are as big, if not bigger than their traditional counterparts (take the production costs and carbon footprint of a Prius in it's entire lifetime vs most V8 cars)
Even if there is a degree of truth to this, it only outlines the need for an ETS. By making companies pay for the real costs of their product (IE the environmental impact) the only reason for "Green" technology to exist is for marketing reasons. If you can market something as green that's enough, but with a properly working ETS it isn't enough, it actually has to do what they're advertising.

As to your other question, I'm not a Labour freak but I very much doubt that they'd be doing a worse job than the current government.
Old 6th July 2010, 16:46     #1892
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju
Correct, but I doubt Auntie would have stepped down if she had won again.
Old 6th July 2010, 16:53     #1893
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonis
Even if there is a degree of truth to this, it only outlines the need for an ETS. By making companies pay for the real costs of their product (IE the environmental impact) the only reason for "Green" technology to exist is for marketing reasons. If you can market something as green that's enough, but with a properly working ETS it isn't enough, it actually has to do what they're advertising.
The problem is that is NOT what the ETS does. ETS just means the company charges more for it's end product or goes out of business. If it's a necessary or in-demand product it'll be the former.

It doesn't mean there's anyone there actually cleaning up the pollution.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 6th July 2010, 17:09     #1894
adonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
The problem is that is NOT what the ETS does. ETS just means the company charges more for it's end product or goes out of business. If it's a necessary or in-demand product it'll be the former.

It doesn't mean there's anyone there actually cleaning up the pollution.
You may benefit from taking a course in economics 101. If something costs more there's less incentive to buy it, and less incentive for the business to produce it. Businesses will try and cut costs so they don't have to pass it on to customers. With a properly working ETS that means coming with with green alternatives. Companies that can't or won't adapt will go out of business, but that's exactly what should happen in a free market. I guess you could be right if there are necessary products where no green alternative can ever exist, but if that's the case we're screwed anyway, I think it's pretty unlikely that will be the case long term.

That being said, the ETS we have has been watered down too much and what that amounts to is subsidising polluters, as we have been doing since the oil age began. A properly working ETS should impose the real cost of the products being sold so the market can sort out the details.
Old 6th July 2010, 19:33     #1895
Spoon1
Mmm... Sacrilicious

Why are south islanders getting stung for ETS charges on their power bills?

The whole electricity market is fucked and shouldn't have to comply with ETS at this point because there's no true competition, otherwise they wouldn't be able to get away with doing the above because some other provider would just (correctly) not sting them for it and they'd get the business...
Old 10th July 2010, 02:03     #1896
CCS
Stunt Pants

In before Simon.

Quote:
National has increased its lead over Labour in the latest Roy Morgan Research poll.

The survey released tonight shows National on 53 per cent support, up 2.5 points, and Labour down four points to 29 per cent.
lolly
Old 10th July 2010, 02:20     #1897
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Ahahahaha, under the 30% mark. That's woeful.
Old 10th July 2010, 10:39     #1898
fixed_truth

Quote:
The latest New Zealand Roy Morgan Poll shows support for John Key’s National-led Government has strengthened to 58.5% (up 3%)Support for Opposition Parties has fallen to 41.5% (down 3%)
Good chance to push out Goff but they'll probably just blame the credit card stuff up.
Old 10th July 2010, 10:53     #1899
ZoSo

Winston comeback to prop up the left? heh
Old 10th July 2010, 12:53     #1900
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Loved this little observation from Danyl at Dim-Post:
Quote:
Vacuum
by danylmc

It’s a recess week, the PM is overseas and there is basically no political news. If you were an embattled opposition party with huge problems getting positive media coverage what would YOU have done with this now-missed opportunity?
Old 10th July 2010, 13:16     #1901
Lightspeed

It goes to show how much Labour was really just Helen's party. The bloody woman could have at least raised up a few protégé while she was in power, so there would be some people to take the reins once she left.

Instead she leaves and the whole party turns into a bunch of whimpering morons.
Old 10th July 2010, 13:23     #1902
ZoSo

Said as much on page 3.
iirc she did give Cunliffe the nod though? or least was prepping him somewhat. Could be wrong.
Old 16th July 2010, 12:30     #1903
A Corpse
talkative lurker

This just in, Tony Ryall admits that the government underpays doctors.

Well...

Article about doctors working as locums in Australia.

Quote:
Mr Ryall told the Herald that salaries were not the only driver of doctors' behaviour.

"If that was the case there wouldn't be any in New Zealand."
Old 16th July 2010, 16:43     #1904
MrTTTT

National also want to restrict union access to workplaces. The current law means employers can't refuse unions access to their workers. Any law change will simply pander to the cunt employers who don't want unions around their workers.

It's interesting too that even with the current law the cops take the side of the employers. I've heard of many situations where unions have exercised their rights to have access to the workplace, and employers have called the cops for trespassing. The cops have then come and forcibly removed the union organizers, despite them being well within the law. It seems 'justice' likes to side with the employers regardless of what the law actually is.
Old 16th July 2010, 17:30     #1905
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I think it's more that the police like those solutions that most instantly get people determined to have a confrontation away from each other. This might be regardless of the fact that the law may literally say that they have a right to be there and have their confrontation.
Old 16th July 2010, 19:30     #1906
MrTTTT

There'd be no confrontation if the employers abide by the laws and just let the unions in . particularly disappointing by the police because the unions have (historically speaking) done so much for this country, including for all the (unionized) police force.

i hear some horror shit that the employers do these days (because my job entails dealing with that shit mainly). what i will say about this 90 day trial shit is it really is a shit thing to the youth.

you come in your first job ever, 15 years old. after 30 days you get told not to come in anymore, no reason, no nothing. you stay home in tears and have a negative attitude about work for a long long time. in the last month i've had three separate occasions where people younger than 18 were told they no longer had a job and weren't even given a reason why. that is a complete farce.

what i am not saying, however, is that employers should have NO mechanisms to get rid of shit workers. but when they are getting rid of workers who seemingly think they are doing a good job, that's not good. at least inform the workers they need to get their shit together before willy nilly firing them!
Old 27th July 2010, 09:54     #1907
fixed_truth

* A zero drink drive limit for recidivist drink drivers.
* A zero drink drive limit for drivers under 20 years of age.
* Much tougher penalties for serious offences causing death and drink driving causing death.
* The introduction of alcohol interlocks for repeat drink-drivers.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10661342

Liking these, apart from the under 20 years limit. If someone has a full licence and can legally purchase alcohol then I think that they should be treated the same as everyone else who has met those conditions.
Old 27th July 2010, 11:10     #1908
BoyWonder

Yeah I was thinking that might backfire...

Yay I'm 20 and can drink and drive now! I'll figure out how much is over the limit when I get there!
Old 27th July 2010, 14:32     #1909
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10661558
Quote:
A decision on lowering the drink-drive limit should go to a select committee, Labour leader Phil Goff says.

Mr Goff said failing to reduce the limit was a remarkable u-turn by the Government.

Mr Goff was a member of the Labour Cabinet that decided not to reduce the limit.

Prime Minister John Key said the Labour Party had nine years in government and did not do anything about lowering the drinking age.

"It's a bit rich for a government...that didn't even bother commissioning the report, to be arguing we should be doing something."
How long until Labour realises that Goff is a liability?
Old 27th July 2010, 15:05     #1910
Juju
get to da choppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10661558

How long until Labour realises that Goff is a liability?
Why do I get the feeling that anytime anymore mentions the fact that Labour was in power for 9 years to Phil Goff, he just crawls into a fetal position, covers his ears and sings "la la la la la la la i cant heaaaaaaar youuuuuu"?
Old 27th July 2010, 15:42     #1911
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Not just those nine years, he was in Cabinet in the Labour government before THAT one. He was in cabinet with Roger Douglas and David Lange and Geoffrey Palmer. He was part of the Labour Cabinet that approved the sale of Telecom and NZ Rail, etc etc!
Old 27th July 2010, 15:50     #1912
fixed_truth

Yeah when you've been around as long as Goff it's hard not to contradict something you said in the 80's or the 90's or the 00's. Context means nothing to joe average.
Old 27th July 2010, 18:45     #1913
chubby

...and a real shame that its the best excuse that can be thought of for NACT to do nothing.
Old 28th July 2010, 10:48     #1914
Juju
get to da choppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby
...and a real shame that its the best excuse that can be thought of for NACT doing a whole bunch of things that I chose to ignore, but don't do the one thing that my boyfriend Mr Goff had suggested but hadn't done himself in 1 million years of being in politics.

fuxd!
Old 28th July 2010, 10:55     #1915
MrTTTT

Goff is such a scrotum
Old 28th July 2010, 13:18     #1916
David

Thank god for Goff tbh.

It means National can make some unpopular but absolutely neccessary decisions and still make it in within the next election to see the benefits of the results before Labour fuck them up.

Nine years consistency with Labour and what did we get out of it? Nothing.
Old 29th July 2010, 16:08     #1917
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Oh Chris Carter, you loon!
Old 29th July 2010, 19:00     #1918
CCS
Stunt Pants

Why you posting that in this thread?
Old 29th July 2010, 19:24     #1919
Vrtigo
Marginal Poster

Old 29th July 2010, 19:31     #1920
MrTTTT

Quote:
Thank god for Goff tbh.

It means National can make some unpopular but absolutely neccessary decisions and still make it in within the next election to see the benefits of the results before Labour fuck them up.

Nine years consistency with Labour and what did we get out of it? Nothing.
You are such a scrotum.