Password

Old 3rd August 2022, 13:54     #2761
Lightspeed

Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Yep, I got it. Feel like death.
That sucks.

Closest I've come spending the afternoon with a friend cooking, the following day him telling me he's tested positive. Managed to fade it tho.
Old 3rd August 2022, 19:49     #2762
fixed_truth

Covid-19 origin studies say evidence points to Wuhan market
Old 3rd August 2022, 20:55     #2763
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
That sucks.
I'm feeling very little in the way of nose-throat-chest. A bit of hayfeverish sinus pain, a little tickly cough from time to time. What I am feeling the most is just pain. Everywhere. Every joint feels sprained, every muscle feels torn. And just general lethargy. Hurts to move, too weak to get up.
Old 3rd August 2022, 21:29     #2764
Lightspeed

Ugh, gross. Do not want.

Get well!
Old 4th August 2022, 16:17     #2765
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Sinus pain has turned into congestion. Not sneezing, just hard to breathe through my nose. Tickly cough has turned chunky. Pain and weakness persist. Like, "I've been in bed for 12 hours I desperately need to piss but it hurts too much to move and I'm too weak to stand up, so tired, fuck it I'll try and go for a piss next time I wake up, zzzzzz". Fuck this shit.
Old 4th August 2022, 16:18     #2766
_Incubus_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Sinus pain has turned into congestion. Not sneezing, just hard to breathe through my nose. Tickly cough has turned chunky. Pain and weakness persist. Like, "I've been in bed for 12 hours I desperately need to piss but it hurts too much to move and I'm too weak to stand up, so tired, fuck it I'll try and go for a piss next time I wake up, zzzzzz". Fuck this shit.
Speedy recovery Ab....it just hits people so differently. Sounds like yours case is pretty shit.
Old 4th August 2022, 16:20     #2767
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

You prick, you said you'd had worse hangovers!
Old 4th August 2022, 16:51     #2768
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

I stand by my claim that a really hot vindaloo will flush you out good. I don't know how well it works for body pains, but if you can just run this experiment for me, in the name of science, we'll both find out.
Old 4th August 2022, 16:54     #2769
Lightspeed

Ab, have you considered bleach?
Old 4th August 2022, 17:16     #2770
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Now is probably not the best time to be bringing up things which don't work.
Old 4th August 2022, 17:58     #2771
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
I stand by my claim that a really hot vindaloo will flush you out good. I don't know how well it works for body pains, but if you can just run this experiment for me, in the name of science, we'll both find out.
Sounds like Ranjit's advice from back in the day
A hot curry and a good single malt.
Old 4th August 2022, 18:34     #2772
Lightspeed

Laugh

Quote:
Now is probably not the best time to be bringing up things which don't work.
Anyone else catch that?
Old 5th August 2022, 06:03     #2773
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
You prick, you said you'd had worse hangovers!
Can you get Paxlovid over the counter in Oz? It's pharmacy only here upon a Drs referral etc for at risk patients.
Old 5th August 2022, 13:05     #2774
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Not much different today. Sinus pain, occasional sneeze, tickly dry cough, occasional chunky cough. What I'm still experiencing most intensely, and I wasn't really expecting it, is a combo of intense myalgia - everything hurts everywhere all at once - and fatigue. I'll get woken up by pain, and the effort it takes me to get out of bed and take drugs has me so exhausted that I basically collapse. It feels like how people describe autoimmune conditions.

Fuck this.
Old 5th August 2022, 14:41     #2775
_indigo1

Ab,
If you can get your hands on some Acetyl-L-Carnitine it should help blunt the myalgia/fatigue/lead feet and also help with mood.

It's a staple with gym bros for other reasons so easily accessible via gym bro stores.
Or chemist warehouse.

Also try black coffee. 2 shots. Beans not instant.
The polyphenols should help - although it doesn't last long, the ALCAR is better.

Last edited by _indigo1 : 5th August 2022 at 14:43.
Old 5th August 2022, 14:49     #2776
Lightspeed

Or maybe some cannabis edibles. That was my hangover cure back in the day. Bit harder to get hold of tho.
Old 5th August 2022, 14:53     #2777
_indigo1

I dunno how serious - but cannabis will just mean you are fatigued, in pain, and stoned.

ALCAR actually addresses the underlying issue which is causing the symptoms.

Honestly Ab, you could be feeling way better within a couple hours or less.

Last edited by _indigo1 : 5th August 2022 at 14:55.
Old 5th August 2022, 14:58     #2778
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Not a scientific test but the coffee, washing down some ibuprofen for the inflammation, has worked wonders. I feel more awake and functional than I have since Tuesday.
Old 5th August 2022, 15:01     #2779
Lightspeed

Thumbs up

Nice!
Old 5th August 2022, 15:14     #2780
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I've never had coffee hit me this hard in my life. I'm dripping with sweat and my heart is racing. But I'm awake and functioning. A huge difference from even 5 hours ago.

The ibuprofen has really worked too, which makes me suspect the problem was inflammation not pain. I should have realised that earlier, but I was too tired and dopey to think clearly.

OK, coffee and ibuprofen for breakfast from here on!
Old 5th August 2022, 15:34     #2781
_Incubus_

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I've never had coffee hit me this hard in my life. I'm dripping with sweat and my heart is racing. But I'm awake and functioning. A huge difference from even 5 hours ago.

The ibuprofen has really worked too, which makes me suspect the problem was inflammation not pain. I should have realised that earlier, but I was too tired and dopey to think clearly.

OK, coffee and ibuprofen for breakfast from here on!
My first time round with covid was during the Xmas holidays, no way was I going to let it interfere with my holiday drinking..

I discovered a legit breakfast cocktail...the breakfast martini. Can highly recommend as a covid treatment.
Old 6th August 2022, 13:52     #2782
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Not a scientific test but the coffee, washing down some ibuprofen for the inflammation, has worked wonders. I feel more awake and functional than I have since Tuesday.
That would be enough evidence for some people that this is a cure. The 1 example of themselves extrapolated out to everyone
Old 6th August 2022, 17:44     #2783
_Incubus_

can attest to the ibuprofen helping a lot...washed down with a gin cocktail
Old 6th August 2022, 17:45     #2784
Lightspeed

I'm surprised that isn't the first stop. A moderate cold I'm dosing ibuprofen and paracetamol to their safe limits.
Old 6th August 2022, 18:02     #2785
Lightspeed

Anyone consider antivirals?

New Zealand allowed pharmacists to dispense COVID-19 antivirals and 'everyone realised it was a win'
Old 6th August 2022, 18:10     #2786
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Yeah I wasn't thinking straight. Tues-Wed-Thurs ths week are a bit of a blur. Just so much pain and tiredness, I was grabbing the strongest painkiller I could find while I had the energy to stand, rather than thinking "the pain is a symptom of inflammation, treat that first you idiot".

Started today with black coffee and ibuprofen, all good.
Old 9th August 2022, 22:55     #2787
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:

Covid-19 became the equal leading cause of death in New Zealand for the first time in July, overtaking stroke and drawing even with ischaemic heart disease as the country’s No 1 killer.
Old 9th August 2022, 23:08     #2788
Lightspeed

We're back on the mend fortunately:

Old 10th August 2022, 06:54     #2789
blynk

Thankfully my hypothesis of people travelling overseas was going to bring back a whole lot more was wrong.
Old 15th August 2022, 00:12     #2790
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

The "settled science" has once again been updated, and although nothing changed about the unvaccinated, we're now equal again.

Either that, or don't trust the CDC, what do they know? Individual decisions, that's Nazi talk.

NZ got 81% of our entire population vaccinated... 83% of cases were amongst the vaccinated. So 0% effective at stopping COVID.

354 unvaccinated deaths (37 per 100k)
2131 vaccinated deaths (53 per 100k)

I think they've since reclassified some deaths, because redefining is what it's all about. The breakdown for vax/unvax doesn't match the total death numbers now, so I just used the vaccination status figures.

Thanks for playing.
Old 15th August 2022, 01:35     #2791
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

This would be the CDC that announced in Mar 2020 that people didn’t need to wear masks?
Old 15th August 2022, 06:00     #2792
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
NZ got 81% of our entire population vaccinated... 83% of cases were amongst the vaccinated. So 0% effective at stopping COVID.
I don't recall being told the vaccine was going to stop me getting Covid - I was told it would reduce the transmission to vulnerable members of the community and impact if I did get it, to the point where our Health system wouldn't be overloaded like those overseas where tent hospitals and patients on the floors of medical centers was the norm in supposedly 1st world countries.

Something about social responsibility and being kind to the less fortunate in health and IQ. A trait not normally recognised in some arrogant Freedumb loving instances.

Of course, if your income model is based on large gatherings of cash based donators while claiming tax free status, you are going to take issue with the paradigm shift, but grifters gonna grift.

Hmm - don't take that personally Dr-T - I think I woke up grumpy, and then saw that bloody Tamaki and Tait were expressing their right to make themselves look like dicks again.
Old 15th August 2022, 06:49     #2793
The Edge

Quote:

Can you provide a link to the NZ MOH data that shows this information please? I don't believe those numbers are correct.
Old 15th August 2022, 07:21     #2794
fixed_truth

Source = trust me bro
Old 15th August 2022, 11:29     #2795
Cyberbob

The numbers are from here:
https://www.health.govt.nz/covid-19-...hics#all-cases.

Towards the bottom, Age and vaccination status of deaths within 28 days of being reported as a case.
It's "This person was a positive case, and then died". 600 of which were over 90. This is all cause deaths too. Test positive and get hit by a car? You're in here.

It's worth noting that of those deaths, COVID-19 was officially coded as the underlying cause in only 1123 of the 2497.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 15th August 2022 at 11:33.
Old 15th August 2022, 22:34     #2796
blynk

Quote:
You need to be able to look further into those numbers to find out more about them.
The biggest group to die from Covid in hard numbers were 80+ (1390/2509 = 55%, but they were also the biggest group to be vaccinated - going by the graph, approx 96-97%.
But because covid was worse the older people got, they still had a higher chance to die from it.
The lowest was younger (a bit harder to find the actual vax rates for the different age groups).

So yes, when you look at overall numbers it shows 37 vs 53 deaths per 100k.
But I bet if you broke that down in age brackets, you will quickly see the numbers looking very different.
Old 15th August 2022, 22:42     #2797
blynk

Here is an example.
2 populations
90+ that has a high vax rate, and we show an Unvax death rate as higher that vax.
18-25 that has a lower vax rate, and we show an Unvax death rate as higher than vax.

However, overall the vax death rate is worse (52%) than the unvax rate (37%).

If you want to keep dropping numbers about how everyone else is wrong, I suggest you start to learn how to understand and interpret them, otherwise it is as bad as holder a level up to the horizon and saying the world is flat.

https://imgur.com/a/CroKeLq

*edit, I am not sure if the image is actually just not showing for me or everyone. But here is a link as well.

Last edited by blynk : 15th August 2022 at 22:43.
Old 15th August 2022, 23:50     #2798
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

So what you're saying is, it wasn't actually a pandemic of the unvaccinated? And people should probably have had the right to choose if they were vaccinated if they weren't at high risk?

Because that seems awfully like the argument I tried to make all along and was shouted down with "trust the science!", "What about polio!?", "you are not an epidemiologist" etc. It even got the point where I was accused of being an actual Nazi because I didn't want to take the same medicine as you guys. What the fuck happened to your brains over the last two years? Being vaccinated became a religion, and a show of character, more than a sensible and necessary health decision.

And it turns out, it was not as necessary as we were told. The unvaccinated did not suffer greatly. We were not plague rats. We didn't take up all the hospital beds. We didn't regret our decision. We didn't beg for the vaccine when it was too late. All these threats to make us go along with the group fell on deaf ears, and now when presented with evidence you're trying to justify your cruelty and stupidity.

That's fine. No hard feelings. 1pm TV was a hell of a drug. It was a crazy time, and I hope we all learnt something.
Old 16th August 2022, 06:45     #2799
The Edge

Quote:
I hope we all learnt something.
I did, I learned not to get my medical information from social media.
Old 16th August 2022, 08:18     #2800
blynk

Quote:
So what you're saying is, it wasn't actually a pandemic of the unvaccinated? And people should probably have had the right to choose if they were vaccinated if they weren't at high risk?

Because that seems awfully like the argument I tried to make all along and was shouted down with "trust the science!", "What about polio!?", "you are not an epidemiologist" etc. It even got the point where I was accused of being an actual Nazi because I didn't want to take the same medicine as you guys. What the fuck happened to your brains over the last two years? Being vaccinated became a religion, and a show of character, more than a sensible and necessary health decision.
Ok, it was late, I know my posts were getting wordy so I probably didnt convey the message properly.

NO, VACCINATIONS WERE/ARE STILL KEY

In my example, both groups had a higher death rate for the unvaccinated, however when you combine them together it looks like the vaccinated were worse off.

You need to apply addition thought, understanding and weighting to high level numbers.