NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 6th October 2012, 19:49     #2321
Furry Crew

Dredd was a decent movie. Enjoyed The Raid way more as an action flick though. Watch that!

Old 6th October 2012, 23:58     #2322
wazza
*flex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furry Crew
Dredd was a decent movie. Enjoyed The Raid way more as an action flick though. Watch that!
cheers boyyyy

edit:

this?

Last edited by wazza : 6th October 2012 at 23:59.
Old 7th October 2012, 20:04     #2323
Furry Crew

yes, that one
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazza
cheers boyyyy

edit:

this?

Old 7th October 2012, 20:17     #2324
wazza
*flex*

just finished watching it. quite possibly the best action movie i've ever seen. that was most excellent!

thank you!
Old 8th October 2012, 12:10     #2325
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiQ
Pleasantly surprised by Urban in the role. He nailed the mouth. He looks like he just gargled piss and vinegar for almost the entire film, and it's easy to believe that he *is* the law in his own mind. Anderson was also good, but I have very slight niggles with her, all plot-related. I'll leave that discussion until you've seen it, and then throw out a bunch of spoiler tags.

Quote:
He nailed the mouth. He looks like he just gargled piss and vinegar for almost the entire film, and it's easy to believe that he *is* the law in his own mind.
Bang fucking on ... every time you looked at him, he looked like I do when someone asks how to get exchange/OWA on their iphone or ask if a port is working (they are all patches and have nice pretty/dynamic pictures showing that ...). Overall awesome. Really nailed it. That said I'm not as hardcore a 2000AD fan as my mate (hes read all programs, me a fair smidge, as I generally read silver age+), pretty much his only complaint/point was the story line/info around the whole thing was very brief ... eg "hey heres anderson, heres Dredd ... GOODTIMES!" ... and wanted to see more of the halls of justice etc...., personally I didn't mind as I pointed out/commented; "they were probably avoiding that whole area due to overdoing the shit out of it in the previous movie and as such knee jerked it completely from appearing out of fear :P ... at least in the in this (hopefully) first of many movies :P.

Nose was the only other point he spotted the graffitti in places has quite a few references also which my mate was picking up far more than I was :P.
For me overall ... brilliant. The setting was ace ... feel/scum/shitness of the city was perfect (not over done to buggery like "Deuce bigalow in 'judge this'").

Only "issue" would be what the fuck are people doing with the bikes? Mentally I always picture something similar to this:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_49Qd6oXQ1t...0/DSC_3400.JPG
or.....
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_QyeLuKyEed...s1600/BIKE.jpg

This could in part be due to my bias regarding bikes (eg smaller/triumph/japanese bikes look like childrens versions when I ride them because I'm part monster and I've been riding since I was 4 :/) either way ... it wasn't the spectacularly shit "scooter of shitness" from Deuce Bigalow in Megacity 1.

Scores:
Me 8.5/10 - Minor errors and defects but overall well worth paying for it, and might do again.
Mate 8/10 - (and hes fucking anal... so thats epic as shit).

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 8th October 2012, 12:16     #2326
xor

The more I think about Prometheus, the more I get angry. REAL ANGRY
Old 8th October 2012, 12:53     #2327
Baxton

isn't that dood writting the next star trek movie? $10 says kirk ends up being his own father
Old 8th October 2012, 15:00     #2328
chiQ
Frag-muff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^BITES^
stuff
Yes, the bikes were too narrow. They needed to be crazy, wide, solid beasties from hell - like two-wheeled 300Cs.

Your friend's complaint about not filling in the background is one I can't agree with. I know that stuff. I don't want them wasting time covering that off. Those intrigued by but ignorant of the context can go and read the comics. Yay, more money for 2000AD. The rest don't care.
Old 8th October 2012, 20:17     #2329
Macca@Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxton
isn't that dood writting the next star trek movie? $10 says kirk ends up being his own father
A+++ Would lol again
Old 8th October 2012, 20:42     #2330
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

""--AYZ--""

Kirk has sex change and species reassignment surgery, becomes green Orion slave girl, time travels, is impregnated by himself, gives birth to himself.
Old 8th October 2012, 22:14     #2331
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Kirk has sex change and species reassignment surgery, becomes green Orion slave girl, time travels, is impregnated by himself, gives birth to himself.
Given the writer, this is bizarre, but likely.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 9th October 2012, 01:01     #2332
Savage

Finally got around to watching "Chronicle" - really, really enjoyed it. Can see what all the fuss was about now
Old 9th October 2012, 03:56     #2333
IoriDyson

cheers for the heads up on the raid, great movie.
Old 9th October 2012, 09:49     #2334
^BITES^

Quote:
Yes, the bikes were too narrow. They needed to be crazy, wide, solid beasties from hell - like two-wheeled 300Cs.

Your friend's complaint about not filling in the background is one I can't agree with. I know that stuff. I don't want them wasting time covering that off. Those intrigued by but ignorant of the context can go and read the comics. Yay, more money for 2000AD. The rest don't care.
I probably derped that up really wasn't a complaint more a "wish he'd seen more of it" because the rest was doing so well :P
Him giving it a fairly decent rating says moonbeams, hes normally extremely hard to please :P

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 18th October 2012, 10:47     #2335
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Oh great - I really should vet the wifes Mighty Ape reorders then. Should have put my foot down after Ghost Rider 3D turned up. It appears both MIB3 and Prometheus are in the queue.
So the quad play version of Prometheus turned up yesterday. Not unwatchable, but I did have to explain some bits to other viewers.

At one point one asked if Theron was playing a transvestite. Very astute from the young chap - he worked out that the surgery pod being configured for a male seemed a bit off. I had to point out the bit where David was talking to a stasis pod, and that perhaps the old guy wasn't dead after all.

He was also prepared to be grossed out and held his hands up to his face when she programmed in the ceasarian, but was happy to learn about the quarterising effects of laser scalpels.

He does have more questions though, and has started trawling the web to work things out.
Old 18th October 2012, 11:01     #2336
aR Que

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
He does have more questions though, and has started trawling the web to work things out.
Check search history, find: 'Alien impregnating woman' followed by 'how to un-see'
Old 18th October 2012, 11:40     #2337
Spink

cauter, not quarter.
Old 18th October 2012, 11:57     #2338
StN
I have detailed files

^^ Yeah - I wondered that, but was running late for something, so I was tardy in my context checking.

My bad.
Old 27th October 2012, 15:34     #2339
Cyberbob

Holy moly, when did Dark Knight Returns come out. Must get.

edit: downside: no Kevin Conroy
Old 27th October 2012, 16:32     #2340
wazza
*flex*

watched it a month or so ago, was pretty good
Old 27th October 2012, 20:18     #2341
StN
I have detailed files

Arrgh - she had preordered it then cancelled when the lad told her it was a cartoon. FFS!

In other news... Piranha 3DD is crap. awesome crap.

3D is not as good as the first one, but Gary Busy and The Hoff make up for it.

DD bits a let down. Fish on cock action disturbing. Ving FTW.
Old 28th October 2012, 02:08     #2342
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash
I'd rate it higher. Right up there with "Drag Me To Hell" in terms of fun.
Fuck yeah, this. Just watched it tonight. It was brilliant. So many tropes and references I just couldn't keep up. Joss Whedon is a genius.

Edit: context: the cabin in the woods
Old 17th November 2012, 09:19     #2343
Farmer Joe
Word To Your Motherboard!

Watched "End of Watch" last night, great film:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/end_of_watch/

Some other great films I've seen recently (many of which have already been mentioned):
Moonrise Kingdom
Headhunters
Intouchables
EAMES: The Architect and the Painter
Mesrine (part 1 & 2)
Old 17th November 2012, 09:35     #2344
wazza
*flex*

saw Twilight - Breaking Dawn 2 last night

ho-ly shit that was legit. easily the best of the franchise. loved it!
Old 17th November 2012, 09:52     #2345
Furry Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Joe

Some other great films I've seen recently (many of which have already been mentioned):
Moonrise Kingdom
Headhunters
Intouchables
EAMES: The Architect and the Painter
Mesrine (part 1 & 2)
Co sign on Moonrise Kingdom and Intouchables. 2 very very good and sweet movies :-)

Old 17th November 2012, 12:39     #2346
[LvN]N3misiS

Laugh

Quote:

respect seriously diminished
Old 17th November 2012, 12:49     #2347
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Watched Dark Knight Rises on the flight to Sydney - I want my 3 hours back - what a waste of time. Utter BS.
Old 17th November 2012, 13:01     #2348
Deadmeat

Ha, I was literally about to post the same thing (minus flying..). The first 2 movies had their flaws sure but they didn't really distract, all through Rises i was thinking 'what the hell?'. For example, the now free cops decide the best way to confront thugs armed with automatic weapons and armoured vehicles is to walk slowly towards them in a large group, with 1 guy holding a pistol.
Old 17th November 2012, 14:39     #2349
Cyberbob

The cops obviously had a working auto pilot.
Old 17th November 2012, 14:48     #2350
CCS
Stunt Pants

Dark Knight Rises was fakken choice. Fakken nerds sperging everything.
Old 17th November 2012, 19:42     #2351
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oatmeal
So what about men that like Twilight?
If you're male and you like Twilight, you're gay. I don't mean that in the derogatory sense, I mean it in the "you want to put your testicles against another man's testicles while gripping handfuls of chesthair" kind of way.
http://theoatmeal.com/story/twilight
Old 17th November 2012, 20:24     #2352
StN
I have detailed files

^ Sign of the coming apocalypse - Rince post with credibility...
Old 17th November 2012, 20:49     #2353
CCS
Stunt Pants

o_O

Pretty bold coming from someone who didn't like Dark Knight Rises.
Old 18th November 2012, 07:22     #2354
fixed_truth

Quote:
Old 19th November 2012, 10:53     #2355
aR Que

Ted sucked, 10mins of comedy, 2 hours of the notebook*.

*, look, idk, just some generic romantic 'comedy'.
Old 19th November 2012, 13:02     #2356
blur^

ted was rubbish, i struggled through lawless
and dark knight rises.... 'meh'
Old 19th November 2012, 13:30     #2357
Baxton

attack the block was actually pretty good. they stole the monster from another world buy I am okay with that.
I would recommend it as a light action/horror almost comedy film.
Old 19th November 2012, 13:50     #2358
chiQ
Frag-muff

Going to the Hobbit on the 30th. Having something of a nerdgasm about this. Might have to drink copiously to cope in the meantime.
Old 19th November 2012, 14:25     #2359
Cyberbob

I'm flying into Wellington the night before the premiere.. Will be interesting.

On topic: Ted was a disappointment. Expected more fart jokes, got overshading RomCom subplot. Best bits were in the trailer.
Old 19th November 2012, 14:26     #2360
reac
Min Sicker Reac

Quote:
Too much bromance, not enough run and gun (although the shooty bits that there were, were good).