Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 3rd October 2012, 00:35     #2281
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan
Pretty sure I posted a trailer for this when I saw it, based on the cast alone.

But anyway, finally watched Moonrise Kingdom tonight.

If you're a fan of Wes Anderson (Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums, A Life Aquatic, et al) I can't recommend it highly enough. Thoroughly charming movie.

Actually I'd recommend it unless you actively hate his movies. Bill Murray, Frances McDormand, Tilda Swinton, Bruce Willis, Ed Norton, Harvey Keitel, all supporting cast and they still don't steal the show from the main characters.

Awesome.
Wes Anderson always seems to bring together joy and sadness together in such an unusual way. Amazing movie.
Old 3rd October 2012, 13:08     #2282
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax
He's sacrificing his body to give life to others.. like Jesus. There are many references to Jesus and Christianity in the flick.
There were so many it was like getting beaten over the head with a fucking Bible-studies lesson. By the halfway point I was groaning, "fuck Scott or Lindelof or whoever is responsible, give it a rest, we get it."
Quote:
Originally Posted by blur^
just watched it again....hmm think i get it, he was introducing DNA to earth? seeding the planet so we could 'evolve out of the mud' or whatever?
I didn't see a sign anywhere saying "welcome to Earth", did you?
Old 3rd October 2012, 13:11     #2283
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazza
Looper was next level awesome
Best movie I've seen in ages tbh!
Old 3rd October 2012, 13:21     #2284
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by blur^
watched prometheus for the first time

i didnt hate it but yeah some serious flaws in the writing
I enjoyed it quite a lot, but maybe cause I have a good auto-filter for psuedo-Christian spirituality. I particularly enjoyed Weyland's classic misunderstanding of the soul though, with the assumption that because David was a machine he didn't have one... yet David was probably the most soul-full character in the movie.

What really did my head in though were the engineers trapped outside. "Aah, aliens, monsters in the dark, boo-hoo-hoo, I wanna go home, oh hey what's this cute little wormy thing, in this otherwise lifeless room. I'm gonna touch it!"
Old 3rd October 2012, 13:27     #2285
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Now ask yourself why the two characters who died in that room were the guy smoking and the guy wearing glasses.
Old 3rd October 2012, 14:05     #2286
Lightspeed

I can't make the link but I'm intrigued. The first thing that springs to mind when I think of grumpy smoking engineer is Brett. But I can't make the link with glasses.
Old 3rd October 2012, 14:33     #2287
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

IMHO the whole movie is about meeting your creator and being found inadequate. David's conversation with Holloway before David spikes his drink is the core of the whole story. But it's wrapped up in Judeo-Christian bollocks that to a scripture nerd is just ridiculously clumsy. The story takes place at Christmas, there's an impossible conception, the musical cue from "O Come All Ye Faithful", argh.

Anyway, specifically about smoking dude with tattoos and glasses dude, aka the guys who you knew were going to fucking die.

The chronologically earliest and smitingly bloodiest bits of the Bible are about Man's relationship with the unstable genocidal psychopath Jehovah, right? Entire chapters are devoted to the things you're not allowed to do or say or be if you want to try and talk to God and not get smited.

Most of the Book of Leviticus is taken up with defining exactly what things must be burnt at the altar of TEH LORD (TEH LORD seems to be hung up on burning things, which probably explains the flamethrower deaths required throughout TEH MOVIE) and Leviticus 10:1 makes it pretty clear what happens when you burn unauthorised incense before the altar of TEH LORD, you get smited. So I'm guessing toking up inside your helmet in front of the god...head... ain't a good move.

Leviticus 19:28 says that you can't "tattoo any marks upon you" if you want TEH LORD to like you. So Fifield was already fucked.

Leviticus 21:20 says that no man "who has any eye defect" can approach the altar to try and talk to TEH LORD. So glasses dude was already fucked.

I guess all these things are covered by TEH LORD's blanket warning to his chosen victims that anyone who "goeth unto the holy things ... having his uncleanness upon him, that soul shall be cut off from my presence: I am TEH LORD."

That blanket warning about what happens when the unworthy creations try and meet their maker is of course taken from Leviticus Chapter 22 Verse 3, but that's lots of characters so it's easier to just type LV 22:3.

In conclusion, fuck off.
Old 3rd October 2012, 14:44     #2288
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
That blanket warning about what happens when the unworthy creations try and meet their maker is of course taken from Leviticus Chapter 22 Verse 3, but that's lots of characters so it's easier to just type LV 22:3.
Awesome catch. I would never have made the connection.
Old 3rd October 2012, 15:44     #2289
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Cheers. It was actually Milburn who got me headed down the Old Testament track. I remember thinking "why the fuck would anyone need glasses in an awesome biotech future?" and then a little bell went off reminding me about something something God doesn't like people with dud eyes.
Hence why masterbation.

Last edited by StN : 3rd October 2012 at 15:45.
Old 3rd October 2012, 16:08     #2290
Lightspeed

Wow, that's amazing. Please don't smite me!
Old 3rd October 2012, 16:20     #2291
blur^

yeah thats fucking with the aliens timeline again
by 2022 weyland industries has cured cancer, im pretty sure if they can cure cancer they can eliminate the need for glasses by 2099? or whenever prometheus is set
Old 3rd October 2012, 17:00     #2292
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Reminds me of the commentary on the Stargate SG:1 episodes where the writers joked about the fact that they kept Daniel Jackson wearing glasses even after he'd been "cured" several times by various alien devices, not to mention ascending into a being of pure energy - all because of the audience expectation that the science guy has to wear glasses.
Old 4th October 2012, 13:50     #2293
Ajax
Architeuthis

Old 4th October 2012, 14:09     #2294
StN
I have detailed files

Ok - who's seen Dredd?
Old 4th October 2012, 16:58     #2295
wazza
*flex*

Seeing it tomorrow night. I'm excited purely because it's so fucking rare I get to see a R18 movie on the big screen.

I've heard incredibly good things and my bum is moist. Bring on tomorrow night!
Old 4th October 2012, 18:01     #2296
Trigger
Laserman

watched prometheus for first time
very disappointed, awful writing
Old 4th October 2012, 18:20     #2297
wazza
*flex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger
watched prometheus for first time
very disappointed, awful writing
fucken sucked eh ;(
we got trolled HARD
Old 4th October 2012, 22:24     #2298
chiQ
Frag-muff

I just saw Judge Dredd, and loved it. After the Stallone attempt I was wary, but they nailed it. It's been more than 20 years since I read my way through BaM's 2000AD collection, but the vibe of the comics stuck, and I feel like I need to read them again

w00t!
Old 4th October 2012, 22:35     #2299
Furry Crew

Will probably see Dread tomorrow but someone that has seen it please tell me that it isn't just a rehash of "The Raid" with 1000x the hollywood budget. That's the impression I got from the trailer.

Old 4th October 2012, 23:07     #2300
doppelgänger of someone

Rehash of The Raid is a bad thing? If they can make the same bone crunching martial art movie as The Raid but with more Hollywood polish, I will see it day 1.

I watched the old Judge Dredd on youtube recently. I wasn't as bad as people say (being a freebie helps). At least it got a young Diane Lane. Still deciding whether to see Karl Urban's Dredd.
Old 5th October 2012, 00:04     #2301
chiQ
Frag-muff

The problem I have with the old Dredd movie is it's nothing like the source. The new film is exactly like the source. Martial arts? Not a great deal, though a wee bit in there where flat out brute force did in the comics. Guns, explosions, gore, vice, and a complete absence of romance between the protagonists? In spades.

If you haven't read and loved the comics the new one will just be another blockbuster effects version of the classic B action title. If, like me, you are a big fan of 2000AD, this film will fit into the class of 'adaptations that succeed', and the 3D is also used well.

The comic was a B-grade action film in black and white panels. The film is 3D, colour comic.

My main niggle: the judges are showing WAY too much nose. That says something for the success of the adaptation, I think.
Old 5th October 2012, 07:53     #2302
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiQ
The problem I have with the old Dredd movie is it's nothing like the source.
Helmet came off .... movie was off the rails headed express for "crap-town" (minor save via ABC warrior just cause I like Mecha :B) imho .. that and stallone is a midget :P
Quote:
The new film is exactly like the source. Martial arts? Not a great deal, though a wee bit in there where flat out brute force did in the comics. Guns, explosions, gore, vice, and a complete absence of romance between the protagonists? In spades.

If you haven't read and loved the comics the new one will just be another blockbuster effects version of the classic B action title. If, like me, you are a big fan of 2000AD, this film will fit into the class of 'adaptations that succeed', and the 3D is also used well.

The comic was a B-grade action film in black and white panels. The film is 3D, colour comic.

My main niggle: the judges are showing WAY too much nose. That says something for the success of the adaptation, I think.
Squee!!!! ok sounds awesome, seeing this tomorrow with another 2000ad fan/collector la premier and 30 minute orders ftw

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 5th October 2012, 12:55     #2303
chiQ
Frag-muff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^BITES^
Helmet came off .... movie was off the rails headed express for "crap-town" (minor save via ABC warrior just cause I like Mecha :B) imho .. that and stallone is a midget :P

Squee!!!! ok sounds awesome, seeing this tomorrow with another 2000ad fan/collector la premier and 30 minute orders ftw
I'll be interested to see if you guys pick up on any screw-ups that I missed. It's been almost 25 years since I read the comics, and the only stand-out for me was the overly visible noses of the judges, which bugged me more than they really should have, since the difference is probably no more than one or two centimetres of visor. The judges' look is key for me though.

Pleasantly surprised by Urban in the role. He nailed the mouth. He looks like he just gargled piss and vinegar for almost the entire film, and it's easy to believe that he *is* the law in his own mind. Anderson was also good, but I have very slight niggles with her, all plot-related. I'll leave that discussion until you've seen it, and then throw out a bunch of spoiler tags.
Old 5th October 2012, 14:34     #2304
Ajax
Architeuthis

I can only dream of Strontium Dog or Halo Jones movies. So.. much.. awesome.
Old 5th October 2012, 14:44     #2305
chiQ
Frag-muff

*wanders off to re-read The Ballad of Halo Jones*
Old 5th October 2012, 14:54     #2306
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I was hooked from the moment I first read Ep 1 of Rogue Trooper.
Old 5th October 2012, 15:29     #2307
^BITES^

Quote:
I'll be interested to see if you guys pick up on any screw-ups that I missed. It's been almost 25 years since I read the comics, and the only stand-out for me was the overly visible noses of the judges, which bugged me more than they really should have, since the difference is probably no more than one or two centimetres of visor. The judges' look is key for me though.
This still doesn't sound like a negative ... I'm a heavy comic reader (DC, Marvel, Vertigo, Dynamite ... anything really) .. so 2000ad is a staple. My mate doesnt enjoy them as much since they went down the demonic route (he likes his tinfoil hat) but he got me into them with a solid serving of Rogue Trooper ... still a fav.

Quote:
Pleasantly surprised by Urban in the role. He nailed the mouth. He looks like he just gargled piss and vinegar for almost the entire film, and it's easy to believe that he *is* the law in his own mind.
OH you tease .... you tease!!!! So sold >.<!!

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 5th October 2012, 22:25     #2308
Isaac

http://youtu.be/6VneW1vtcWY

This could be good.
Old 5th October 2012, 22:53     #2309
iiNEMESISii

Yeah I loved Rogue Trooper and Slain and of course my names sake NEMESIS
Old 5th October 2012, 23:13     #2310
chubby

wanted to change my name to 'Bill Savage'.
Old 6th October 2012, 01:47     #2311
Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac

This could be good.
LOL @ coach to BasketBall team.
God made you black, he gave you a foot and a half dick, dribble with that motherfucker.
Old 6th October 2012, 09:30     #2312
Savage

lol yeah that movie looks pretty funny
Old 6th October 2012, 10:07     #2313
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

check out that cast!

I think it looks funny, but doubt anyone in my family will
Old 6th October 2012, 12:50     #2314
Trigger
Laserman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac

This could be good.
very lolerish trailer
Old 6th October 2012, 13:25     #2315
wazza
*flex*

Saw Judge Dredd. Worth the money.

8/10
Old 6th October 2012, 13:41     #2316
dylan
Huh?

Honest Trailers - Prometheus
Old 6th October 2012, 14:42     #2317
wazza
*flex*

lol!
Old 6th October 2012, 15:00     #2318
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazza
Saw Judge Dredd. Worth the money.

8/10
Yeah, very easy film to enjoy. Urban is bad-ass.
Old 6th October 2012, 15:09     #2319
Lightspeed

Quote:
I prefered Ab's version of Jewish self-loathing.
Old 6th October 2012, 19:46     #2320
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Quote:
followed the link to a few of their other ones - Avatar was particularly good