User Name
Password

Old 3rd January 2010, 10:47     #361
Nightcrawler

The Lovely Bones is shit
Old 3rd January 2010, 10:53     #362
David

I agree.
I found it dull and boring, which is not to say I don't sympathise with the plight of a brutally raped and murdered 14 yr old, but more so I don't sympathise with a movie that long that has such a limited story to it.
Old 3rd January 2010, 11:44     #363
wugambino
Electric Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Gladys Portugues twice? Interesting. Must have a thing for bodybuilders

http://image65.webshots.com/765/2/75...2vBAkcv_ph.jpg

id hit it
Old 3rd January 2010, 11:47     #364
chiquelet
Mrs Colin Farrell

Right, I haven't read any of this thread, so excuse me if this has been discussed before...

I finally got around to watching 500 Days of Summer yesterday. Had heard the hype. Had heard my friends' reviews (doesn't live up to the hype), so I went in not sure what to expect.

What a waste of time. The only thing worthwhile about that movie was Matthew Gray Gubler. I would have stopped watching half-way through if I hadn't been hoping for more MGG at some point. I found it boring. The story didn't offend me, I didn't hate the characters, it was just boring. And the ending made me groan VERY VERY loudly. And not in a good way. Seriously glad that money wasn't exchanged for that piece of crap.
Old 3rd January 2010, 11:49     #365
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

Movies with a title like that are usually always boring aren't they? Sounds like your average chick flick.
Old 3rd January 2010, 11:59     #366
chiquelet
Mrs Colin Farrell

The thing is, a "good" chick flick isn't boring. It's fluff, but not boring. The Devil Wears Prada, The Proposal...yeah I don't watch many movies, but those were the last "chick" flicks I watched and I found them entertaining.
Old 3rd January 2010, 12:47     #367
doppelgänger of someone

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiquelet
The thing is, a "good" chick flick isn't boring. It's fluff, but not boring. The Devil Wears Prada, The Proposal...yeah I don't watch many movies, but those were the last "chick" flicks I watched and I found them entertaining.
Most of the romcom are variants of Pride and Prejudice. e.g. 27 Dresses, The Proposal, etc. Man and woman first met, they hated each other. Then through [FILL IN THE BLANKS, LOTS OF FUNNY SHITS HAPPENED! LOL!] they realise they are meant for each other and live happily ever after. THE FUCKING END. What can I say? Hollywood as an industry has little imagination.

The Devil Wears Prada is an exception. It is based on a novel that, satires the fashion industry and people in it (e.g. Nuclear Wintour), basically saying they are devils. The movie, sadly, glamourise the fashion industry, claiming there is some kind of etho behind the bitchy backstabbing and size 0 obsession. The equivalent of Nuclear Wintour in the movie, played by Meryl Streep, is a very likeable character underneath her fascist façade. It is worth it just to see her and her character in action.
Old 3rd January 2010, 13:39     #368
Nahaz

A few little known gems.

Stalker (1979) (yes based on the same story as the game), classic Tarkovsky. Especially love the long tracking shot that follows the rail car as they enter the restricted zone (8.1/10).

If you're a fan of Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour, then 1980 Somewhere in Time is good (7/10).

Paths of Glory (1957), best black and white movie i've seen. Kirk Douglas is great in this Kubrick classic (8.6/10).

THX 1138 (1971) Director's cut, surprisingly good, if only to see some embryonic Star Wars.
Old 3rd January 2010, 13:40     #369
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by wugambino
Point well made.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 3rd January 2010, 13:45     #370
doppelgänger of someone

^^^ because it is 403 forbidden????
Old 3rd January 2010, 13:48     #371
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelgänger of someone
^^^ because it is 403 forbidden????
You're WEAK. go to www.webshots.com, and once the site has loaded, paste the above URL into the address bar and hit the enter key with your face.

Old 3rd January 2010, 13:53     #372
doppelgänger of someone

muh

^^^ at least my head with my face have HAIR, glorious HAIR.

Last edited by doppelgänger of someone : 3rd January 2010 at 13:54.
Old 3rd January 2010, 13:59     #373
crocos

This too shall happen to you if you continue to level up.

Old 3rd January 2010, 13:59     #374
lektronimo

Can anyone recommend me any great new foreign films with imdb links? Many thanks.
Old 3rd January 2010, 14:06     #375
crocos

Revanche http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1173745/

Le silence de Lorna http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1186369/

Mesrine: L'ennemi public n° 1 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0411272/

Not super new, but I did enjoy them.

Old 3rd January 2010, 14:12     #376
MoP

Watched Zombieland last night. Really enjoyed it, Woody Harrelson is funny, and there's an excellent cameo in there too
Old 3rd January 2010, 14:14     #377
herp

La meglio gioventù

(2003, not so recent, but relatively unknown)

Has some seriously good reviews.

With a near 7 hour runtime it also has the "best film you will never see" award locked up.

Last edited by herp : 3rd January 2010 at 14:18. Reason: adding more links
Old 3rd January 2010, 14:16     #378
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by herp
With a near 7 hour runtime it also has the "best film you will never bother to see" award locked up.

EDIT: Nudity? Hmm...

Old 3rd January 2010, 14:16     #379
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

Quote:
La meglio gioventù

(2003, not so recent, but relatively unknown)

Has some seriously good reviews.

With a near 7 hour runtime it also has the "best film you will never see" award locked up.
cheers bro, will check it out
Old 3rd January 2010, 14:27     #380
Redneck

Der Baader Meinhof Komplex - haven't watched it yet, but hearing lots of good things

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0765432/
Old 3rd January 2010, 14:29     #381
David

Although not REALLY a foreign film - Perfume: A Story of a Murderer is foreign funded and based off of a very well known French novel. I'd recommend it, there is also nudity <3
Old 3rd January 2010, 16:43     #382
dylan
Huh?

Yeah, I really enjoyed that movie.

Meanwhile,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiltz
If you have 3 hours to spare......http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0175880/ MAGNOLIA

worst advice EVAR.
Old 3rd January 2010, 17:00     #383
_Incubus_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck
Der Baader Meinhof Komplex - haven't watched it yet, but hearing lots of good things

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0765432/
Yeah its good, they were fucking nutters.
Old 3rd January 2010, 18:37     #384
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Although not REALLY a foreign film - Perfume: A Story of a Murderer is foreign funded and based off of a very well known French novel. I'd recommend it, there is also nudity <3
Gah - that was butchery of a brilliant story... If you've read the book do not, under any accounts try and watch the film.

Pixie
Old 3rd January 2010, 18:41     #385
David

You think? I think the book had the advantage of making you use your imagination more about the various scents.

It's very hard to show a scent in visual terms, I actually thought they did quite well with it owing to that. I thought the acting was solid, the story plot was solid and the visuals were brilliant.

Reading the book, sure, if you're an avid reader of fiction (I'm not) and would prefer your imagination to a directors, then the book is probably best.

If you're the average person who doesn't read much fiction, this movie has a superb story.
Old 3rd January 2010, 20:19     #386
Rep

Forget movies,

DL and watch Sons of Anarchy.

It's a biker series.

Fairly violent, gun running, drugs, corrupt cops, lots biker babes.

And it's unlikely you'll be seeing it in any prime time slot.
Old 3rd January 2010, 22:28     #387
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

Just got back from seeing Avatar for the second time, only this time I saw it in 3D.

WOW, The cinema has changed forever. Next up, Alice in Wonderland 3D~
Old 3rd January 2010, 22:42     #388
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

Watched The Lovely Bones tonight.. I'm happy to have seen it, but can't say I would rave about it. I suppose drama is the one genre I struggle with really enjoying unless it also contains some awesome action sequences is involved? I dunno...
Old 3rd January 2010, 22:45     #389
zeekiorage

It's a good movie but I don't give 3D a lot of marks. It didn't really add a lot more value to an already good movie. For what it's worth I even saw it in IMAX. Also the first 3D movie that I saw was back in '98 and amazingly things haven't changed a lot since then.

/edit: I'm talking about Avatar obviously.

Last edited by zeekiorage : 3rd January 2010 at 22:46.
Old 3rd January 2010, 23:09     #390
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsi
Watched The Lovely Bones tonight.. I'm happy to have seen it, but can't say I would rave about it. I suppose drama is the one genre I struggle with really enjoying unless it also contains some awesome action sequences is involved? I dunno...
It fell flat for me, parts of it just seemed too long and even my wife was finding it a bit of a bore, she really enjoyed the book.

The visuals were outstanding but beyond that...
Old 4th January 2010, 00:20     #391
herp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrick
WOW, The cinema has changed forever. Next up, Alice in Wonderland 3D~
They're working on AIW in postproduction in one of the suites at work. I'm hoping to catch Tim Burton for a photo if I can.
Old 4th January 2010, 00:58     #392
Wibble

Quote:
German novel.
Old 4th January 2010, 09:26     #393
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

Quote:
They're working on AIW in postproduction in one of the suites at work. I'm hoping to catch Tim Burton for a photo if I can.
DO EIT!
Old 4th January 2010, 09:41     #394
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
You think? I think the book had the advantage of making you use your imagination more about the various scents.

It's very hard to show a scent in visual terms, I actually thought they did quite well with it owing to that. I thought the acting was solid, the story plot was solid and the visuals were brilliant.

Reading the book, sure, if you're an avid reader of fiction (I'm not) and would prefer your imagination to a directors, then the book is probably best.

If you're the average person who doesn't read much fiction, this movie has a superb story.
Yeah I just found there were too many changes to the original story and it seemed like it had been very toned down. The book is quite chilling in places and I didn't get that at all in the film - it just seemed toned down.

As far as the scent thing goes - thats why it worked as a book but not as a film in my opinion - you simply cannot go and "display" scent and have it equitable to the actual immagination of a scent.

Each to their own - it wasn't as bad as the brutally mauling which the Time Travellers Wife got given though.

Pixie
Old 4th January 2010, 10:23     #395
herp

The Blind Side was good. I'm not a Sandra Bullock fan and had been staying away from it because of that but Simmons (espn mag) rated it so I gave it a go. Glad I did.

Up in the Air was good too. Couldn't see why it's getting such a great reaction everywhere because it's another "I'm basically playing myself" movies from Clooney, but watchable.
Old 4th January 2010, 10:25     #396
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

Quote:
The Blind Side was good. I'm not a Sandra Bullock fan. Glad I did.
Agreed

Quote:
Up in the Air was good too. Couldn't see why it's getting such a great reaction everywhere because it's another "I'm basically playing myself" movies from Clooney, but watchable.
I'm gonna be watching this today, but that's what I thought too from the trailer. Just seemed like a standard Clooney flick.
Old 4th January 2010, 11:17     #397
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

If you're into stand-up comedy, check out Michael McIntyre's - Live and Laughing (2008) and his Hello Wembley! (2009) DVDs. I pretty much didn't stop laughing the entire time. Not to be missed!

I first came across him on Friday Night With Jonathan Ross, then checked him out on Youtube, then acquired the DVDs.

edit: his wiki page had this to say
Quote:
McIntyre has released two stand-up DVDs. Live and Laughing was released in 2008 and featured material from his first nationwide tour, and Michael McIntyre: Hello Wembley was released in November 2009 and featured his routine at Wembley Arena. Live and Laughing was the fastest selling debut stand-up DVD ever and Michael McIntyre: Hello Wembley became the fastest selling stand-up DVD ever [1] selling over a million copies and reaching Number 1 in the DVD charts for Christmas 2009. In 2009 Mcintyre performed live to half a million people and won Best Stand-up at The British Comedy Awards.

Last edited by Warrick : 4th January 2010 at 11:19.
Old 4th January 2010, 11:31     #398
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

17 days in and Avatar has cracked the billion dollar mark

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=avatar.htm
Old 4th January 2010, 11:32     #399
chiquelet
Mrs Colin Farrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsi
Watched The Lovely Bones tonight.. I'm happy to have seen it, but can't say I would rave about it.
Have you read the book? I enjoyed the book, but have zero desire to see it in film. I don't understand how Peter Jackson seems to have so royally screwed up the adaptation. Those who loved the book, hate the movie. Seems a real pity.

Quote:
I'm not a Sandra Bullock fan
HEATHEN. How anybody cannot like Sandy is beyond me.
Old 4th January 2010, 11:48     #400
herp

I dunno, maybe it's my dislike of her entire body of work that led me to that decision.