NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 19th February 2009, 13:35     #8001
Delphinus

I just got some 4 cheese tortellini pasta, the filled stuff, and had it with a light tomatoey sauce, but it wasn't very nice at all. Infact all the filled pasta I've had so far has been very unimpressive...
I think I'll stick to normal pasta with tasty homemade sauces.
Old 19th February 2009, 14:15     #8002
MadMax
Stuff

how do coffee addicts manage during the heat? i've never seen someone make iced coffee
Old 19th February 2009, 14:35     #8003
caffiend

We harden the fuck up and drink coffee as normal.
Old 19th February 2009, 14:37     #8004
Cyberbob

QFT.

I think "urgh, its so freaking hot but i want my long black" so i get one anyway and man it up

Iced coffee is nice, but its more of a coffee flavoured milkshake than a coffee.
Old 19th February 2009, 14:51     #8005
Jonas Undrawing

man it up, have the shot hot. Likewise, i man it up in Winter by having ice cream.
Old 19th February 2009, 15:09     #8006
caffiend

But what about the risk of ice-cream headaches? Jesus Jonas... you're freakin' loco!!

ps: Speaking of "Jesus Jonas", I used to love that song 'Real, Real, Real'...
Old 19th February 2009, 15:39     #8007
sv
simulationszeitalter

iced strong black coffee with sugar... all good.
Old 19th February 2009, 20:01     #8008
flic
Dee Hast Mish

911 operator: what has the monkey done ma'am?

Distraught Lady: It ripped her face off !

ahahaha lol.

when 15 year old pet chimps go mad from over medication
Old 19th February 2009, 20:05     #8009
Hurtuso

Wink

pfft, eat the coffee faggorts!
Old 19th February 2009, 20:15     #8010
Jonas Undrawing

flic eats the coffee, or drinks a glass of water.
Old 19th February 2009, 20:43     #8011
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffiend
We harden the fuck up and drink coffee as normal.
word dawg
Old 19th February 2009, 20:53     #8012
Sgt Seb
Up Unt At Dem!

New Family Guy episodes on C4 are WEIRD.
Old 19th February 2009, 20:59     #8013
dead goon

Can anyone recommend a good place to go for career advice, preferably in Aus/Melbourne?

Any websites to check out?
Old 19th February 2009, 21:04     #8014
Fx.

seek.com.au !
Old 19th February 2009, 21:05     #8015
dead goon

I think I'd like to talk to someone who can help me sort shit out ;)
Old 19th February 2009, 21:29     #8016
Fx.

you mean you want to talk to a recruiter about finding a job? or about a change in career

im confuzzled

all jobs over here seem to be via recruiter
Old 19th February 2009, 21:44     #8017
Cyberbob

To be a classed as a 'Permanent resident' in Aussie from sitting on my computer chair in NZ, I must be 'a New Zealand citizen who is the holder of a special category visa as defined by the Migration Act 1958 (Cwlth), section 32'

Without digging that Act up, does that cover any NZ'ers by default?

edit, ok I dug it up.
Quote:
MIGRATION ACT 1958 - SECT 32
Special category visas

(1) There is a class of temporary visas to be known as special category visas.

(2) A criterion for a special category visa is that the Minister is satisfied the applicant is:

(a) a non‑citizen:

(i) who is a New Zealand citizen and holds, and has presented to an officer or an authorised system, a New Zealand passport that is in force; and

(ii) is neither a behaviour concern non‑citizen nor a health concern non‑citizen; or

(b) a person declared by the regulations, to be a person for whom a visa of another class would be inappropriate; or

(c) a person in a class of persons declared by the regulations, to be persons for whom a visa of another class would be inappropriate.

(3) A person may comply with subparagraph (2)(a)(i) by presenting a New Zealand passport to an authorised system only if:

(a) the New Zealand passport is of a kind determined under section 175A to be an eligible passport for the purposes of Division 5 of Part 2; and

(c) before the person is granted a special category visa, neither the system nor an officer requires the person to present the passport to an officer.
So like, anyone with an NZ passport?

Last edited by Cyberbob : 19th February 2009 at 21:45.
Old 19th February 2009, 21:48     #8018
Fx.

yeah we dont need no stinkin visa, rock up to airport customs.. sup let me in thx

nz passport = au resident and vice versa

Last edited by Fx. : 19th February 2009 at 21:53.
Old 19th February 2009, 22:08     #8019
dead goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx.
you mean you want to talk to a recruiter about finding a job? or about a change in career

im confuzzled

all jobs over here seem to be via recruiter
Would like to change careers, or maybe further advance myself in IT. Not quite sure what to do, would like someone to talk to and give me advice, look at CV, give me ideas etc.
Old 19th February 2009, 23:04     #8020
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx.
yeah we dont need no stinkin visa, rock up to airport customs.. sup let me in thx

Reason why = http://www.osr.qld.gov.au/fhog/first...nt/index.shtml
Old 20th February 2009, 01:47     #8021
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead goon
Would like to change careers, or maybe further advance myself in IT. Not quite sure what to do, would like someone to talk to and give me advice, look at CV, give me ideas etc.
Talk to your pastor.
Old 20th February 2009, 02:26     #8022
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx.

Bah, dual citizenship FTW

Although I sometimes wish my citizenship was for somewhere more... exotic than Aussie <shrug>

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية

Last edited by crocos : 20th February 2009 at 02:28.
Old 20th February 2009, 02:52     #8023
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx.

Not any more. The laws all changed in Feb 2001.

If you enter Australia on a NZ passport, your entry stamp automatically grants you a "Special Category Visa", which means you can live and work in Australia indefinitely without any other paperwork (like needing to be sponsored by an employer, etc). But you don't get resident status and you don't get the privileges of a resident.

To become an Australian permanent resident (without which you can't get various social services and without which you can't become a citizen) you must apply for and be granted a Permanent Resident Visa like any other immigrant.
Old 20th February 2009, 04:53     #8024
Ashley
Fuck up Ashley

I remember reading somewhere on the australian immigration site (linked from that couples blog on advice for moving) that when we arrived we started paying their healthcare fees and were eligible to that? I think?

Or was that pre-2001.
Old 20th February 2009, 08:32     #8025
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead goon
If you're after money then you could look at the job sites and see the highest paying roles...
I leik monies
Old 20th February 2009, 09:26     #8026
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Not any more. The laws all changed in Feb 2001.

If you enter Australia on a NZ passport, your entry stamp automatically grants you a "Special Category Visa", which means you can live and work in Australia indefinitely without any other paperwork (like needing to be sponsored by an employer, etc). But you don't get resident status and you don't get the privileges of a resident.

To become an Australian permanent resident (without which you can't get various social services and without which you can't become a citizen) you must apply for and be granted a Permanent Resident Visa like any other immigrant.
How many differences are there between a Kiwi on a special visa, and a permanent resident? I'd expect that there wouldn't be many for someone wanting to come over and work, rather than just sit on an unemployment or sickness benefit
Old 20th February 2009, 10:40     #8027
StN
I have detailed files

Stop! (you know what time it is...)

And most awesomely:

Quote:
He is teaming up with Vanilla Ice for a one-off concert in Utah later this month.
Old 20th February 2009, 11:02     #8028
Cyberbob

It's a slow work day.

"chip on your shoulder"
Quote:
The saying originated during the nineteenth century in the United States, where people wanting a physical fight would carry a chip of wood on their shoulder, daring others to knock it off. Printed citations of this include the Long Island Telegraph, a New York newspaper, which on May 20th, 1830, printed "When two churlish boys were determined to fight, a chip would be placed on the shoulder of one, and the other demanded to knock it off at his peril."
Consider my mind blown.
Old 20th February 2009, 11:05     #8029
Cyberbob

A pound of feathers is actually heavier than a pound of gold. Who knew.

Quote:
While on the face of it a pound of feathers would seem to weigh the same as a pound of gold, this overlooks the fact that gold is universally weighed using a different definition of 'pound' than that used for most other materials.

Precious metals such as gold are measured in troy weight. A troy pound is 12 troy ounces, and each troy ounce is 480 grains, making a total of 5760 grains to the pound of gold.

Most materials use pounds and ounces from the avoirdupois system, and such a standard pound is made up of 16 ounces, where each ounce is 437.5 grains, making a total of 7000 grains to the pound of feathers.

All this means that a "pound" of feathers (or bricks, or lead) is heavier than a "pound" of gold.
Old 20th February 2009, 11:05     #8030
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
How many differences are there between a Kiwi on a special visa, and a permanent resident? I'd expect that there wouldn't be many for someone wanting to come over and work, rather than just sit on an unemployment or sickness benefit
Residents get privileges like being able to vote & that first home owners thing. Stuff like that.

Old 20th February 2009, 11:07     #8031
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Residents get privileges like being able to vote & that first home owners thing. Stuff like that.
that first home owners thing is the single reason why i was investigating it. Turns out a kiwi with a special visa, ie not a proper resident, is totally eligible for it.
Old 20th February 2009, 12:00     #8032
Juju
get to da choppa

Quote:
A pound of feathers is actually heavier than a pound of gold. Who knew.
And the Disney logo isn't Gisnep! And the Fedex logo has an arrow in it!
Old 20th February 2009, 12:47     #8033
Fx.

you cant afford a house bob!

and yeah seems we can get it cause the bank keeps hassling me to buy a house and get it
Old 20th February 2009, 13:04     #8034
SpaceCowboy
Here be dragons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some spammed email
On the Feb. 8 "60 Minutes" program, we were captivated while viewing the Katie Couric interview of the crew and passengers of Flight 1549.
However, we were struck there was not one mention of God, who directs pilots of planes and secures the safety of passengers.
We have written CBS and asked them for more realistic programming. Help protect our freedoms. Write CBS about this.
aahhahahahahahahahhahaaahahahaahahahahaahahahaha

more realistic programming!
Old 20th February 2009, 13:06     #8035
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
that first home owners thing is the single reason why i was investigating it. Turns out a kiwi with a special visa, ie not a proper resident, is totally eligible for it.
Correct.

Quote:
* You (or at least one applicant) must be a permanent resident or Australian citizen at the time of settlement or completion of construction of the home

(Note: A permanent resident includes the holder of a permanent visa under section 30(1) of the Migration Act 1958. New Zealand citizens holding a special category visa under section 32 of the Migration Act 1958 also satisfy this requirement).
Old 20th February 2009, 13:33     #8036
Kryten

Randomly found a can of Monster energy drink in an Upper Hutt dairy, it was rather good - the can was a huge ass American 16oz thing though, it took a bit to get through. Anyone seen it in Wellington city?
Old 20th February 2009, 13:38     #8037
crocos

Cuba St - in the dairy opposite the car-park that's going to be the Cuba Carnival main stage.

Can even still get Red Eye there!

Old 20th February 2009, 13:42     #8038
Cyberbob

They've had Dr Pepper and the odd cherry coke for years too, while other places have been on and off.
Old 20th February 2009, 14:07     #8039
CCS
Stunt Pants

Is Wellington only just getting those sized cans? Lol
Old 20th February 2009, 14:11     #8040
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

I was watching the news the other night and after an item the reporter signed herself off "Jenna Taylor"... and all I could hear was "genitalia"..