User Name
Password

Old 16th November 2022, 22:54     #7801
Lightspeed

Radioactive Andor E11

"Let's call it... war."
Old 16th November 2022, 23:39     #7802
Lightspeed

​I love how there's this storm swarming around Andor and he's oblivious. He keeps on thinking he's escaped, but he still hasn't realised he's entirely engulfed and will never escape.
Old 19th November 2022, 16:37     #7803
Lightspeed

One thing I've never really liked is how the Force doesn't really seem to play much of a role in the absence of obvious Force users.

But I think there is a real Force moment where Melshi exclaims "We're getting out here! I know, I feel it!". The way the music shifts just as he takes action is what convinces me.
Old 19th November 2022, 19:55     #7804
wazza
*flex*

1899 is crap dont waste your time
Old 20th November 2022, 16:24     #7805
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
"Let's call it... war."
That string arrangement over the closing credits, heartwrenching.

I just realised while sitting here typing this that it's based on Gm - Em7b5, which is the Rogue One Vader chord change. Intentional or not, that's awesome.
Old 20th November 2022, 17:40     #7806
Cyberbob

On the topic, the score is amazing imo. Mando's theme by Ludwig Göransson is iconic now, but Boba's and Kenobi’s score was pretty forgettable, and my pick of the bunch is absolutely Nicholas Britell's work on Andor.
Old 20th November 2022, 18:20     #7807
Lightspeed

Thumbs up

Yeah, I haven't been skipping the end credits.
Old 21st November 2022, 14:37     #7808
Lightspeed

I thought Devs was pretty cool. Sci-fi thriller mini-series with Nick Offerman and Alison Pill.
Old 23rd November 2022, 21:35     #7809
StN
I have detailed files

Andor s01e12

Wow.

The tension in that supply room between the two weirdos was getting... strangely sexual.

The gambling conversation was an excellent alibi for money problems and deflected from her, while still keeping up appearances and sacrificing her daughter.

Post credit scene went full James Webb and tied it all together nicely!
Old 23rd November 2022, 23:46     #7810
Lightspeed

Exclamation

"Fight the Empire!"
Old 24th November 2022, 07:48     #7811
StN
I have detailed files

The Syril and Mosk hat swap in the silent scene. Such good acting throughout the entire series.
Old 24th November 2022, 08:31     #7812
Cyberbob

It's been an amazing war drama that just so happens to be set in the Star Wars universe.
Old 24th November 2022, 14:24     #7813
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
The Syril and Mosk hat swap in the silent scene. Such good acting throughout the entire series.
From the interviews I've seen, Tony Gilroy chose the actors he wanted, got them to come in and pitched the show to them. All the while the actors were expecting to be auditioning, rather than being offered their part upfront.
Old 24th November 2022, 16:46     #7814
Lightspeed

Andor E12

Dedra looked very Sith in her hooded civilian digs. The music in that scene helped too, those deep piano notes.

She's gotta be buggered tho right? She's been vulnerable, can't be doing that in a Sith enterprise. I think Syril and her go down together.

My favourite part of the episode was how both the Imps and Luthen's team were all making their plans indifferent to Ferrix, figuring they were a known factor. Then Ferrix just got on with doing what they do, indifferent to outside forces. Maarva's speech climaxed perfectly.

I don't think Luthen is Jedi despite what's been teased. I like the idea he might be ex-Republic intelligence. Maybe Saw causes his death, which is what Mon Mothma is referring to in Rogue One.
Old 25th November 2022, 17:07     #7815
Lightspeed

Thumbs up

Local Drama Rūrangi Wins An International Emmy

Last edited by Lightspeed : 25th November 2022 at 17:08.
Old 26th November 2022, 06:33     #7816
wazza
*flex*

the.guardians.of.the.galaxy.holiday.special.2022
Old 28th November 2022, 11:18     #7817
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Andor S01 is almost enough to make me a Star Wars fan again. It was just so good, and so unexpected. Why on earth would a spinoff tv series about a supporting character in a spinoff movie be any good?

It was so... British. Cloudy days in dreary locations. All the interior sets felt like Pinewood circa 1978. Barely an American accent to be heard, anywhere. It felt like Star Wars.
Old 28th November 2022, 15:54     #7818
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Why on earth would a spinoff tv series about a supporting character in a spinoff movie be any good?
One reason I think is because they're characters no one cares about, so they're not written trying to meet the expectations of fans.

Compare Boba Fett and Obi-Wan Kenobi with The Mandalorian and Andor.
Old 28th November 2022, 20:18     #7819
_Incubus_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Andor S01 is almost enough to make me a Star Wars fan again. It was just so good, and so unexpected. Why on earth would a spinoff tv series about a supporting character in a spinoff movie be any good?

It was so... British. Cloudy days in dreary locations. All the interior sets felt like Pinewood circa 1978. Barely an American accent to be heard, anywhere. It felt like Star Wars.
Echo this 100%....One of my fave characters is Dedra Meero. Love the Imperial efficiency! I'd hire her if I was running a oppressive state!
Old 29th November 2022, 15:56     #7820
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
One reason I think is because they're characters no one cares about, so they're not written trying to meet the expectations of fans.

Compare Boba Fett and Obi-Wan Kenobi with The Mandalorian and Andor.
Andor was an incredible war drama. Throw the entire thing into any wartime scenario, and it would transpose almost apples for apples. Take a WWII era French resistance freedom fighter plot, throw in a POW turned death camp arc, and almost all the notes still hit.
It respected the intelligence of the viewer, didn't hold back, and struck gold.

Mando, especially season 1, was a great Western/Samuari Lone Wolf & The Cub series. Sprinkle in notes of a heist and a horror, and other than falling a little into the 'Villain of the Week' trope, it checks out. It was Robert Rodriguez. I was supposed to get Desperado, but I got Spy Kids.

Boba Fett had good moments. It fleshed out the Tusken more than any media has before, but pacing was all over the place, as was the quality of the episodes. I think my favourite episode of the lot may as well have been seen as The Mandalorian 2.5.

Kenobi I enjoyed, but almost all of that is due to me loving the characters rather than it being a good tv series. I didn't like the fact that they re-used the reluctant father figure trope after doing exactly that in The Mandalorian.
I enjoyed the Kenobi/Leia dynamic, and I enjoyed the Inquisitor manhunter plot, but it tried to be too many things at once, and didn't do either exceptionally well at either. It definitely didn't respect the viewers intelligence IMO, and some of the script was prequel levels of bad. Far too many plot points you could see a mile coming, and relied on spoon feeding rather than inferring.

It's not easy to tell a Star Wars story. Tell a great story that happens to respect the Star Wars universe, and you've got yourself a winner.

With all of that in mind, I'm looking forward to Acolyte, and I'm worried for Ahsoka.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 29th November 2022 at 16:01.
Old 29th November 2022, 16:02     #7821
Cyberbob

edit: The Robert Rodriguez comment was supposed to be about Boba Fett, not Mando.
Old 29th November 2022, 23:01     #7822
kRAdENkO

We really enjoyed 1899. Much more than meets the eye initially.
Old 30th November 2022, 20:15     #7823
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazza
Quote:
Originally Posted by kRAdENkO
We really enjoyed 1899. Much more than meets the eye initially.
Anyone else with a deciding vote?
Old 2nd December 2022, 16:22     #7824
wazza
*flex*

slow horses season 2 has kicked off, fucken loved the first season. gary oldman is a beast.
Old 2nd December 2022, 20:32     #7825
wazza
*flex*

the peripheral so amaze
Old 5th December 2022, 22:21     #7826
[fe]

Peripherals pretty stylish. Enjoyed Wednesday as well.
Old 5th December 2022, 23:03     #7827
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Yeah, digging it. Peripheral I mean. Let’s hope it gets enough eyeballs for a S2.
Old 8th December 2022, 23:29     #7828
Lightspeed

Andor S01E05

There's great foreshadowing for Andor killing Skeen in this episode, where Val says "you can kill each other later".
Old 9th December 2022, 09:13     #7829
Cyberbob

I'm watching Severance at the moment. A slow burn but a really good show so far.
Old 9th December 2022, 09:33     #7830
wazza
*flex*

yeah i clocked it a while back, you've summed it up nicely
Old 9th December 2022, 09:35     #7831
wazza
*flex*

Quote:
i posted this after i finished watching the entire season. it was garbage, utterly unrewarding.
Old 9th December 2022, 19:07     #7832
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
I'm watching Severance at the moment. A slow burn but a really good show so far.
It definitely has a completely different pace to 99% of other shows. But its great.
Old 21st December 2022, 13:51     #7833
wazza
*flex*

S03 for Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan dropped, whoop
Old 21st December 2022, 14:27     #7834
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
S03 for Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan dropped, whoop
Old 22nd December 2022, 07:54     #7835
_Incubus_

1923...more Yellowstone goodness.
Old 22nd December 2022, 13:26     #7836
Lightspeed

Cheesy grin

Saw Karl Urban in Parnell this afternoon, no one else around. I called out "Howdy Butcher" as I walked by. He turned around and gave me a wave with a very Butcher-esque sneer/smile.
Old 22nd December 2022, 13:35     #7837
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Nice!
Old 22nd December 2022, 13:39     #7838
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

In other news, it appears that Netflix has, upon hearing that Henry Cavill is working with Amazon Prime, hastily put together an “unnamed sources” campaign to smear him on the way out the door:

https://twitter.com/TArchcast/status...ctbTl1uNID-uIw
Old 23rd December 2022, 07:24     #7839
Cyberbob

Just finished "Devs" - Enjoyed it. I found it was a little funny watching Devs immediately after watching Severance as they both have the "mysterious near future tech company doing mysterious work with a mystery box plot", but it worked out really well.
Old 23rd December 2022, 09:58     #7840
Know me.

Devs followed by Severance are my two favourite series from the last few years. Can't recommend them enough.