Who said Shearer was racist?
Old 10th June 2016, 22:04     #204
Lightspeed

Laugh

Oh no one at all.
Old 10th June 2016, 22:07     #205
CCS
Stunt Pants

What's any of that got to do with the banks?
Old 10th June 2016, 22:13     #206
Lightspeed

Laugh

Certainly nothing like Shearer was suggesting, I'm sure.
Old 11th June 2016, 11:22     #207
Lightspeed

Just so we're clear:

Shearer restricting non-residents ability to buy houses = Yellow peril, Chan ban!
Banks restricting non-residents ability to buy houses = sound business!

And we're sure Ab and CCS are not partisan hacks in any way, shape or form.

That's the current consensus, yes?
Old 11th June 2016, 12:26     #208
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Just so we're clear:

Shearer restricting non-residents ability to buy houses = Yellow peril, Chan ban!
Banks restricting non-residents ability to buy houses = sound business!

And we're sure Ab and CCS are not partisan hacks in any way, shape or form.

That's the current consensus, yes?
Not really, this is more accurate:

Shearer removing non-residents ability to buy houses = Yellow peril, Chan ban!
Banks removing non-residents ability to secure finance in NZ = sound business!

Nice attempt though, Pot.
Old 11th June 2016, 14:26     #209
Lightspeed

lolz, so explain why one is racist and the other isn't? They both seem to be trying to address a problem by excluding foreigners.
Old 11th June 2016, 16:07     #210
spigalau

Quote:
lolz, so explain why one is racist and the other isn't? They both seem to be trying to address a problem by excluding foreigners.
Sounds like BNZ's policy is quite well thought out. It also inhibits NZ citizens who are not living in NZ from borrowing to the hilt. Also much easier for the banks to have recall on the loans when dealing with people residing within NZ.

Quote:
A BNZ spokeswoman said a maximum allowable loan to value ratio (LVR) of 60 per cent would also be required of New Zealand and Australian citizens and permanent residency holders who used foreign income to service a loan but did not reside in New Zealand.

A loan-to-value ratio is a measure of how much a bank lends compared to the value of a property.

Customers in this category would also have a 40 per cent "shade" applied to the value of their income earned overseas.

This means if a customer is a New Zealand or Australian citizen who is living overseas and earning income overseas, only 60 per cent of that income would be taken into account when the bank considered their ability to service a new home loan in New Zealand.

A Westpac spokeswoman said on Thursday the bank would no longer lend to non-resident borrowers with overseas income.

Borrowers on temporary resident visas would only be accepted if they had both a New Zealand address and New Zealand based income.
Old 11th June 2016, 16:22     #211
pxpx

They're both racist, I was just correcting your weasel words, LS.

Banks are accountable to their shareholders, Politicians are accountable to the voters, that's the takeaway here.
Old 11th June 2016, 18:42     #212
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
You're either missing, or deliberately avoiding, the fact that it's not the SAME problem.
Old 11th June 2016, 23:19     #213
Lightspeed

The solution of excluding foreigners is the same though, right? And previously that solution was dismissed out of hand as racist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
They're both racist
So why haven't you explained to CCS why the banks are racist? He doesn't seem to understand. Certainly I don't understand how it's racist in either case.

Quote:
I was just correcting your weasel words, LS.
I'm not posting wikipedia entries here.
Old 12th June 2016, 11:50     #214
pxpx

Quote:
I'm not posting wikipedia entries here.
That much is obvious
Old 12th June 2016, 14:22     #215
Lightspeed

o_O

So.... when are you going to discuss with CCS why the banks are/aren't racist? We're having a discussion here right, no partisan hackery, right?
Old 12th June 2016, 15:51     #216
pxpx

We have an appointment scheduled for later.
Old 12th June 2016, 16:02     #217
CCS
Stunt Pants

I'm still not sure what lolspeeds point is.
Old 12th June 2016, 18:05     #218
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by spigalau
Sounds like BNZ's policy is quite well thought out. It also inhibits NZ citizens who are not living in NZ from borrowing to the hilt. Also much easier for the banks to have recall on the loans when dealing with people residing within NZ.
Quote:
A BNZ spokeswoman said a maximum allowable loan to value ratio (LVR) of 60 per cent would also be required of New Zealand and Australian citizens and permanent residency holders who used foreign income to service a loan but did not reside in New Zealand.

A loan-to-value ratio is a measure of how much a bank lends compared to the value of a property.

Customers in this category would also have a 40 per cent "shade" applied to the value of their income earned overseas.

This means if a customer is a New Zealand or Australian citizen who is living overseas and earning income overseas, only 60 per cent of that income would be taken into account when the bank considered their ability to service a new home loan in New Zealand.

A Westpac spokeswoman said on Thursday the bank would no longer lend to non-resident borrowers with overseas income.

Borrowers on temporary resident visas would only be accepted if they had both a New Zealand address and New Zealand based income.
Gold: Finding out requirements I'll need to implement in one of the systems I look after on the internet before any internal discussions have been had.

Any chance you can post a link to that article?

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 12th June 2016, 20:21     #219
spigalau

Was a Stuff'd article - http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/indu...gn-home-buyers
Old 12th June 2016, 22:41     #220
Madman

TIL: crocos can help me get a better rate on my home loan.
Old 13th June 2016, 00:20     #221
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman
TIL: crocos can help me get a better rate on my home loan.
Heh, I wish. Nope, sorry.

Old 13th June 2016, 00:22     #222
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by spigalau
Ta

Old 13th June 2016, 00:46     #223
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
We have an appointment scheduled for later.
lolz, guess you can't be revealing any discord amongst the ranks, eh? Fucking hacks.
Old 4th October 2016, 14:09     #224
Lightspeed

Goff backs tax for foreigners to ease house prices

By foreigners we all know Goff means the Chinese. That's racist, Phil, racist!
Old 5th October 2016, 09:09     #225
Juju
get to da choppa

Next door neighbours selling their house (Army Bay) - straw poll of visitors to the open home over the weekend - 1 Asian Couple, 1 Indian couple, ~10 young white couples, ~5 old white couples.
Old 5th October 2016, 13:54     #226
Lightspeed

I've had one place next door go through two full renovations. It was empty for a good two years. I'm not sure if the current occupants are the owners. There was an Asian lady at one point, the current occupants are Caucasian. I only noticed the Asian lady cause she was cutting down one of these two mini palm things with a hand saw. They had only been planted a few weeks and must have cost a couple of hundred bucks. So now there's a tall one and one regrowing from the stump??

Another one has been going through renovations for about six months. The whole fucking neighbourhood has been going through renovations actually. It's all buzz-buzz, bang-bang. Public holidays are amazing, the whole place goes silent.