NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 23rd June 2021, 13:45     #42601
Lightspeed

I wonder when the last Olympics will be. Can't be far off now.
Old 23rd June 2021, 15:39     #42602
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

There's a social-media bonfire going on in Australia at the moment about toxic culture in high-level swimming. The usual suspects make an appearance of course - creepy male swimming coaches ogling girls in swimsuits left right and centre. There's also a toxic white feminism angle to the discussions, as the loudest voices are white women with social media audiences calling for diversity and by diversity they mean paying attention to white women with social media audiences. (Brown people don't swim, because swimming lessons cost money, and brown people are poor, and that's outside the scope of caring about the concerns of white women with social media audiences, silly.)

But the weirdest thing has been this safetyism aspect of "oh noes, a young professional athlete with a social media following claims she was made to feel unsafe at training, and of course every woman has the right to feel safe at her place of work," and I'm just going what the fuck? You are an elite athlete being paid by my taxes to win medals. I don't want you feeling safe, I want you waking up every day determined to avoid the humiliation of coming second. Safe? Fuck off.

I don't think you're entirely crazy asking how long the Olympics will continue. It's impossible to have sporting competition without admitting that some people are just plain better than other people at stuff, and that's a cancelin'.
Old 23rd June 2021, 16:08     #42603
Lightspeed

There's that, then there's what got the Olympics started in the first place: the race for supremism. It's literally a spectacle of who is the best.

And we're moving from a world that focuses on the best to one that tries to see all value. Not because we want to ascend as glorious angels, but because we want to survive. We don't survive by attending only to the "best".

Just like we don't resolve problems with sexual boundaries in our community by focusing on men's interest in girls. Men like boys too. Women have all kinds of interests too. And some young people have an interest in older people too. Oops, let's pretend I didn't say that out loud.
Old 23rd June 2021, 16:27     #42604
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Citius - Altius - Fortius, bitches
Old 23rd June 2021, 16:47     #42605
Lightspeed

I reckon. Bring on my robot body with the strength of five go-rillas!
Old 23rd June 2021, 17:00     #42606
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Citius - Altius - Fortius, bitches
And yet you whinge about Hubbard

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 23rd June 2021, 18:13     #42607
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I think "women's" should be a protected class of competition, otherwise it's not fair. Like "under-12" or "featherweight" or "paralympic".
Old 23rd June 2021, 18:53     #42608
fixed_truth

I think that once the language around it all changes then the pendulum will swing to something that is more fair and at the same time respects their womanhood.
I've heard of the men's category being replaced with an open category and an athletes biological advantage being evaluated on a case by case basis and in context of the specific sport they're competing in.
That way the the discussion moves away from 'he shouldn't be permitted in womans sports because he's a man', to this woman went through puberty as a male and so she should compete in the open grade.
Old 23rd June 2021, 18:55     #42609
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Great. Make "Men's" an open category. But if you don't make "Women's" restricted, it's unfair. You can not ask natal females to compete against natal males.
Old 23rd June 2021, 18:58     #42610
Cyberbob

Biological sex assigned at birth != Gender.
Leave gender out of sports, don't entertain the idea of segmenting by anything other than biological sex assigned at birth, and you'll be fine.
Old 23rd June 2021, 19:04     #42611
fixed_truth

@Ab
Why not? It's been happening for a while now with no big problems. Shouldn't it be dependent on whether it can be shown that person has an unfair biological advantage.

Would a natal male who recieved puberty blockers have any significant biological advantage outside of the normal variation seen between natal females?
Old 23rd June 2021, 19:05     #42612
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
@Ab
Why not? It's been happening for a while now with no big problems. Shouldn't it be dependent on whether it can be shown that person has an unfair biological advantage.

Would a natal male who recieved puberty blockers have any significant biological advantage outside of the normal variation seen between natal females?
As in, a natal male who has never experienced puberty?
Old 23rd June 2021, 19:08     #42613
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
Biological sex assigned at birth != Gender.
Leave gender out of sports, don't entertain the idea of segmenting by anything other than biological sex assigned at birth, and you'll be fine.
The athletic categories are men & woman's. As a society we've decided that gender is relevant to the definition of man & woman.
Old 23rd June 2021, 19:21     #42614
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
As in, a natal male who has never experienced puberty?
Well yeah not in the way a male usually would which might include other medical interventions like hormone replacement & surgery.
Old 23rd June 2021, 20:49     #42615
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Dr Ross Tucker, sports scientist (SA kayaking, USA triathlon team, UK Olympic committee, World Rugby):

Quote:
Lowering of testosterone is almost completely ineffective in taking away the biological differences between males and females.
Old 23rd June 2021, 22:58     #42616
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
@Ab
Why not? It's been happening for a while now with no big problems.
These people, who admittedly know nothing about sport, beg to differ.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/former...D5XY3Z6WRCM5A/
Old 23rd June 2021, 23:40     #42617
Lightspeed

I figure traditional sports will eventually be the domain of the snooty class, those who cling to the airs of the old power base. All this wrangling will be rendered moot for the average person.

Eventually anyone wanting to compete like a traditional athlete would have to abstain from the advances the general public will be enjoying over their body.

In 20 years what's biotech going to look like? We might see five Olympics, we won't see 10.
Old 24th June 2021, 08:50     #42618
Redneck

McAfee has been successfully uninstalled
Old 24th June 2021, 09:25     #42619
xor

I might buy a hammock to remember him.
Old 24th June 2021, 09:26     #42620
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Did he choke while eating a dick?
Old 24th June 2021, 09:32     #42621
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Well yeah not in the way a male usually would which might include other medical interventions like hormone replacement & surgery.
Peer-reviewed research: transgender women athletes retain almost all of their male physical advantages regardless of hormone treatment or testosterone levels

https://link.springer.com/article/10...79-020-01389-3
Old 24th June 2021, 09:49     #42622
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck
McAfee has been successfully uninstalled
Weird, he said he wasn't going to suicide.
Old 24th June 2021, 11:18     #42623
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I wonder how much BTC gets taken out of circulation as a result of his death. McAfee doesn’t seem like the risk-management, succession-planning, assets-in-escrow type.
Old 24th June 2021, 11:40     #42624
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
I figure traditional sports will eventually be the domain of the snooty class, those who cling to the airs of the old power base. All this wrangling will be rendered moot for the average person.

Eventually anyone wanting to compete like a traditional athlete would have to abstain from the advances the general public will be enjoying over their body.

In 20 years what's biotech going to look like? We might see five Olympics, we won't see 10.
Sounds like eugenics to me. I can live with being snooty.
Old 24th June 2021, 12:11     #42625
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I wonder how much BTC gets taken out of circulation as a result of his death. McAfee doesn’t seem like the risk-management, succession-planning, assets-in-escrow type.
...but I wonder if he has an Epstein vault with a deadman's switch to auto send?
Old 24th June 2021, 12:44     #42626
Nich

Treatment of Assange has ensured that even if a whistle blower releases info, "journalists" are too meek to report it. In Oz, the Australian Federal Police has no issue with kicking in the door of ABC when they are in possession of info that is too spicy.
Old 24th June 2021, 13:10     #42627
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich
Sounds like eugenics to me. I can live with being snooty.
Yeah, that's how many will go. But not most. Most will still want every economic advantage they can get. They won't be able to watch their kids fall behind while others are taking full advantage.
Old 24th June 2021, 14:59     #42628
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Peer-reviewed research: transgender women athletes retain almost all of their male physical advantages regardless of hormone treatment or testosterone levels

https://link.springer.com/article/10...79-020-01389-3
Quote:
conferred by male puberty
Yeah no doubt 12months is not long enough. Will be interesting to see future data on this new generation of transpeople who start treatment around puberty age.

Last edited by fixed_truth : 24th June 2021 at 15:01.
Old 24th June 2021, 17:02     #42629
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Most will still want every economic advantage they can get.
And if you’re a mediocre male athlete who could make millions as a transwoman…
Old 24th June 2021, 17:23     #42630
Lightspeed

But could you? It's not like there's going to be some gold rush of men transitioning to cash in.

My sense is a lot of these issues are going to be swamped by the coming generation's reaction to all these circumstances. There's not going to be a lot of patience for those trying to keep hold of everything they've got. If you're not willing to compromise you're putting everyone at risk and that won't be tolerated.

Or maybe that's just a dream I'm having.
Old 24th June 2021, 17:40     #42631
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
But could you? It's not like there's going to be some gold rush of men transitioning to cash in..
No - it will only be males who are at sub-elite level of being just bad enough that they aren’t guaranteed winners in men’s competition, but good enough that they would dominate a women’s competition.
Old 24th June 2021, 18:29     #42632
Lightspeed

That seems to have a very limited lifespan.
Old 24th June 2021, 20:38     #42633
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

“It probably won’t happen very often” is a terrible justification for allowing unfairness.
Old 24th June 2021, 21:29     #42634
Lightspeed

I'm more saying it'll happen a bunch, then it won't happen at all. Cause there won't be a competition.

Large public organisations will inevitably collapse as they try to juggle the contradiction.
Old 25th June 2021, 14:58     #42635
Nich

Elon tweets about Bitcoin to play interference for news of Panasonic dumping entire $TSLA holdings.
Old 26th June 2021, 12:37     #42636
MadMax
Stuff

So I'm asking the office what words they pronounce weirdly when they need to remember the spelling. Def-in-it-ely was one of them.

So I'm like: what do you call a deaf man in Rome.

The reactions were mixed.
Old 26th June 2021, 12:46     #42637
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Thanks crocos
Old 1st July 2021, 14:12     #42638
Lightspeed

I just realised, if it's 2021, what's happening on Sealab?
Old 1st July 2021, 18:01     #42639
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Today's greatest line of the day:

I was offering feedback on a client-site theme concept that, in my opinion, was way too visually eyecatching, to a level that would be distracting to the user. I wanted the user to do the thing being described by the words, not look at the pretty pictures.

With my best deadpan nzgames voice, I opined "look I have a dream... of pages that will be judged not by the colour of their skin but by the character of their content" AND THE FUCKERS DIDN'T LAUGH
Old 1st July 2021, 23:11     #42640
crocos

Well... gone from show at the airport 13:45 on Sat, to show up at 05:40 - including a 7-hour wait at Auckland - including wait times, transport, collect luggage, customs etc, that's at least 15 hours.

Currently on hold to try & get a slightly more reasonable time for the domestic leg.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية