NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 11th April 2021, 14:14     #1081
Lightspeed

Goes to show the difference between information and experience.

The lady must have a lot on her mind.
Old 12th April 2021, 15:43     #1082
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

"I can tell you from my neighbourhood ... a sale across the road only further reinforced for me why we needed to act. "

It's reminiscent of Trump's "this guy I know, he told me a thing, it was incredible, nobody knows this thing, but this thing, someone should do something about it, incredible, I had no idea" word salad template.
Old 13th April 2021, 19:49     #1083
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Um wut

https://www.newsroom.co.nz/vaccine-r...-up-on-the-fly
Old 14th April 2021, 01:02     #1084
Lightspeed

Estimated/made up, what's the difference?
Old 14th April 2021, 09:37     #1085
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

This government does seem to treat the two terms as semantically equivalent. Which is, you know, terrible.
Old 19th April 2021, 16:36     #1086
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

https://www.newsroom.co.nz/up-to-thr...-under-reforms
Old 20th April 2021, 11:08     #1087
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...cid=app-iPhone
Old 20th April 2021, 13:35     #1088
crocos

Collins criticizing like she's got a leg to stand on when National has slashed more than Labour on mental health spending, let alone simply "not spending" funding.

Not saying Labour are looking rosy here - they're not - but this rank hypocricy of "we would have been sacked [if we'd been the ones to do this]" irks.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 20th April 2021, 13:38     #1089
crocos

I have no issue with any of this. A "first draft" is never right, but they are doing good work here.

Old 20th April 2021, 14:04     #1090
Lightspeed

Yeah, Collins is being a real dick.

Mental health practice is hugely complicated, in large part because it's a political football. We loved when National were telling us the wonderful news of saving money, cooking up investment strategies, don't worry about people crying over their hobby horses.

Spending money doesn't solve this, it can cause problems of its own. There are many people suffering chronic deprivation in New Zealand, many will know how to align themselves with whatever it is that offers some kind of resourcing. Which skews where need really lies.

What's needed is stability, not constant flux.
Old 20th April 2021, 16:40     #1091
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
I have no issue with any of this. A "first draft" is never right, but they are doing good work here.
The fuck? What they’re doing is dogshit. The first draft is abhorrent.
Old 20th April 2021, 16:51     #1092
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:

The reforms seek to (make) more types of discrimination subject to the law, including hatred against religious belief, political belief
Old 21st April 2021, 13:55     #1093
Lightspeed

This is a major change:

Major health sector shake-up: DHBs scrapped and new Māori Health Authority announced
Old 22nd April 2021, 10:55     #1094
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

A welcome one. Credit to Labour for this.
Old 22nd April 2021, 14:45     #1095
Lightspeed

Yeah, Canterbury DHB was never going to be reformed. Hopefully things can be set up in a way to insulate mental health services from political tides somewhat.
Old 22nd April 2021, 18:13     #1096
xor

Good times to be a consultant. It'll fail, just like Auckland's supercity.
Old 5th May 2021, 11:08     #1097
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/polit...medium=twitter

Grow a fucking spine you unprincipled piece of shit
Old 5th May 2021, 15:05     #1098
StN
I have detailed files

Well, make sure Lion Nathans firewalls are up to snuff first...
Old 5th May 2021, 16:31     #1099
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/polit...medium=twitter

Grow a fucking spine you unprincipled piece of shit
Just for balance, National are hiding behind "not having the information the government has therefore cant call it genocide".
They have that nice excuse rather than them having to do the same as what labour are currently doing.
Old 5th May 2021, 17:14     #1100
Lightspeed

It's like the NZ fishing industry. It seems regardless of political affiliation there's something on the edge of public awareness that politicians need to kowtow to. So we kind of know about it, but exactly how the levers work is obscured.

With China it's just trade, right? All politicians rely on wealthy NZ businesses, you cut off the flow of cheap goods to spin expensive marketing campaigns around, your political ambitions will be similarly cut off.

But maybe I'm too cynical, maybe there's is real hardship NZers couldn't bear if we couldn't rely on cheap goods from China?
Old 6th May 2021, 12:06     #1101
Lightspeed

Public sector pay freeze extended for next three years for those earning more than $60,000

This is unfortunate. I get this is how we vote, National would do the same or worse.

Who is going to be attracted to work in the public sector? Heroes, masochists, those who can't fit elsewhere?

It's so disappointing, there's all this cost effective work we could be doing, we're wasting the potential of our most valuable resource.
Old 7th May 2021, 14:57     #1102
xor

Nice, more money for contractors and consultants.
Old 14th May 2021, 14:37     #1103
Lightspeed

I hope the Greens capitalise on this well. It's too early in the cycle to flip back to National, could be an opportunity to pull things further away from that side of the political equation.
Old 20th May 2021, 17:45     #1104
Lightspeed

'An obscene waste of money' - Orion boss criticises govt's Covid-19 vaccination IT delivery

Quote:
Director-General of Health Dr Ashley Bloomfield told Checkpoint that was a "herculean task", and added that an initial vaccination register was available for use in December if it had been needed.

McCrae said that was not a fair assessment.

"The director-general is wrong. A 'herculean' project is something over $100 million. It's automating an entire health economy when you're looking after 10-40 million patients.

"These projects here are one to three percent of that size are relatively small. The only thing herculean about this project is the price tag."

McCrae said Orion would have quoted between $1 million and $3 million, depending on features of the system.

"A significantly lower sum, and I believe other vendors would have quoted in that area.

"We would have very likely lost to others, and that's absolutely fine, but $38 million for immunisation, $55 million for breast [cancer] screening. It just doesn't make sense."
Old 27th May 2021, 15:48     #1105
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Labour ruins everything it touches.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/society/27-...ew-curriculum/
Old 22nd June 2021, 10:58     #1106
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Credit where it’s due, Labour has increased the number of acute-need mental health beds. By 5.

5 beds for $1.9 billion.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/polit...dget-2019.html
Old 22nd June 2021, 11:43     #1107
Lightspeed

It is super tricky. It actually might be better to increase services minimally and keep a consistent level of service than putting in place all these additional services that National will claim are hobby horses when it's their turn again.

Mental health services can and do make things worse when they're unreliable and inconsistent. It's a repeat of the kind of experiences that lead to people seeking help in the first place.

We really have to wait for the public to be better educated before we can expect any real improvement of mental health services.
Old 22nd June 2021, 11:54     #1108
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

True, it's the public's fault!
Old 22nd June 2021, 12:43     #1109
Lightspeed

That's funny, because in mental health the blame model isn't found to be that helpful. If we were going with that the fault squarely lies with leadership willing to pull the plug on functioning, effective services for the sake of ideology, the money saved being negligible. Something current leadership must contend with.

I know some of those involved with the current mental health review, former supervisors, etc. From what it looks like the process is going to be two steps forward, one step back. And they're starting with the step back.

It frustrates me how arbitrarily these stories reach the headlines. There is nothing special about these circumstances. It just fits the news cycle to include the story.
Old 24th June 2021, 09:11     #1110
pxpx

Lol'd at Stuart Nash admitting that he only bought his EV 3 months before the "ute tax" was announced, and that it was paid for by (one of the many) cabinet minister benefits.

The virtue signaling continues across the cabinet too, all ministers apparently own EVs.

*not that EVs are bad, it's just an amusing observation.
Old 17th August 2021, 15:04     #1111
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Labour deserves every piece of rotten fruit that gets thrown at it on this issue.

https://twitter.com/NZNationalParty/...85453638045697
Old 17th August 2021, 16:57     #1112
fixed_truth

Why do they?

Sorting fact from fiction in the latest outcry over gangs
Old 23rd November 2021, 19:01     #1113
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

There is no housing crisis under this Labour Government

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/pro...nd-development
Old 26th November 2021, 16:49     #1114
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
There is no housing crisis under this Labour Government

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/pro...nd-development
Wasn't the purpose of the UDA to AVOID going through all the RMA bollocks and enable developments like that one? FFS

Old 7th December 2021, 13:15     #1115
Lightspeed

Government reveals 25-year plan to tackle family and sexual violence

Whatever happened to Anne Tolley's vaunted community investment strategy?
Old 9th December 2021, 18:05     #1116
fixed_truth

Government to ban tobacco sales to young people for their lifetime in first-ever 'smokefree generation'
This is wild. In the future there will be 50 & 60 year olds getting asked for ID when they buy smokes.
Old 9th December 2021, 18:52     #1117
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

They won't get asked for ID, because they will be buying their cigarettes from the Mongrel Mob.
Old 9th December 2021, 19:11     #1118
fixed_truth

If the legal age is 50 then there will definitely be people older than that being Id'd. But yeah a lot of underage smokers will find a way. The good thing is that a lot of people born after 2007 that would have smoked, won't start.
Old 9th December 2021, 19:21     #1119
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I'm all for restricting access to things that cause societal harm, but banning something that's currently legal - while allowing and supporting the thing that does the greatest harm by every measure (alcohol) just seems performative to me.

Bans don't work.
Old 9th December 2021, 20:02     #1120
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
If the legal age is 50 then there will definitely be people older than that being Id'd. But yeah a lot of underage smokers will find a way. The good thing is that a lot of people born after 2007 that would have smoked, won't start.
Oh, is that how they are doing it. So every year it gets 1 year older