NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 8th November 2012, 11:45     #36361
CCS
Stunt Pants

Ah c'mon, it's only God's will if it works in your favour! Otherwise, it's negligence.
Old 8th November 2012, 11:58     #36362
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
I met her once when she was over.
Was she hot?
Old 8th November 2012, 12:06     #36363
Juju
get to da choppa

Time for a story

Moved into our new house in the weekend. On Friday met the next door neighbour, who moved into their house the weekend before. Friendly chap. Discussed stuff, he said he was cutting down some trees on the boundary. Wasn't too fussed, asked him if he knew where the boundary was, and he pointed in some direction.
Next day, 10am and the trees are gone. This guy doesn't muck about. Talked to him some more, said he was clearing them mostly because he wanted to concrete where the trees were to make more driveway to park his work truck. Fair enough. He also mentioned he wanted to cut trees down the back of our properties, still on the boundary. I didn't mention anything, but wasn't so keen on the idea as it gives a bit of privacy to our backyard.

Had another look at all the property files we got when we did our due diligence, as well as the GIS. Turns out the boundary is a little deceptive in what looks like should be his section, is actually ours. The trees he cut down were fully on our property.
Not too fussed about the trees. But all where he wants to concrete is our land as well. Do not want. As far as I can tell, all the trees at the back he wants to cut down are ours as well.

How to tell brand new neighbour who is 3 times my size that he can't build the driveway he was excited to make for his truck without souring things. hmmm.
Old 8th November 2012, 12:10     #36364
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju
How to tell brand new neighbour who is 3 times my size that he can't build the driveway he was excited to make for his truck without souring things. hmmm.
Old 8th November 2012, 12:10     #36365
aR Que

'Hey bro, how are your cadastral boundaries?'
'Huh?'
'Yea man, hard, I dunno if we've got it right?'
'Huh?'
'I know, right? Better go find those boundary pegs and sort it out.'

*que legal survey*

btw. gis data is kaka.
Old 8th November 2012, 12:11     #36366
pxpx

TBH though you should really just say, hey bro I think the boundary is not where you think it is - hows about we go splitsies and get a cadastral surveyor here to find out just exactly where it is..so we dont end up causing a whole fuss about nothin?
Old 8th November 2012, 12:12     #36367
pxpx

beaten!

RQ.. u win this round..
Old 8th November 2012, 12:27     #36368
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
TBH though you should really just say, hey bro I think the boundary is not where you think it is - hows about we go splitsies and get a cadastral surveyor here to find out just exactly where it is..so we dont end up causing a whole fuss about nothin?
Why go halves?

Show him the GIS map, if he wants to dispute where the boundary is then he should pay for a surveyor.

Show him the report and politely tell him no
Old 8th November 2012, 12:27     #36369
Juju
get to da choppa

Going halves in a survey is an option yup.

I know GIS isn't entirely accurate - but it more re-inforced the other documentation we have. By the looks of it, if the docs we have are somewhat accurate - his house is like less than 50cm from the boundary... no idea how they got away with that (His house is newer than ours).

Had a good look around for pegs, but everything is overgrown on all but 1 corner - and that corner I couldn't find diddle. The section was created like 50-60 years ago at least so not surprised I cant find anything.
At least it will be easy to survey, it's your good old (almost) 1/4 acre rectangle. 15 x 50 meters.
Old 8th November 2012, 12:40     #36370
Juju
get to da choppa

The title includes the line "Fencing agreement in transfer 623xxx - 17.5.1959"

nfi if that's relevant or not.
Old 8th November 2012, 12:42     #36371
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
Why go halves?

Show him the GIS map, if he wants to dispute where the boundary is then he should pay for a surveyor.

Going halves is the neighbourly thing to do. If he doesn't agree and refuses to pay half, I'd still get the survey done anyway and pay for it myself.

I'm about to go through a similar situation on the place I've just bought. Need to put up a fair whack of fencing, and there's some ambiguity around where the boundary is; Along the western boundary, there's 1 peg indicating the north west corner, but 2 pegs approximately 2.5 metres apart for the south west corner.

edit: Juju all the more reason to get a surveyor in :>
Old 8th November 2012, 12:42     #36372
pxpx

double post omg.
Old 8th November 2012, 12:53     #36373
aR Que

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
Why go halves?

only a legal survey can be used to determine the boundaries afaik. Anyone can do a survey (even a faux civil engineer) but for it to be legal, a registered surveyor (and even then, i think they have to have special stuff quals) has to do it, their tolerances are basically nil, gogo theodolyte!

Will cost you a bit to get your pegs banged in, probably close to a grand. But for any kind of boundary dispute? Pretty much a must.

If you were a cool kid in the rei, i'd pop over and give you an idea +/-10mm. (well the gps is +/- 50mm but with good triangulation it's meke bro, gotta close!)

Last edited by aR Que : 8th November 2012 at 12:54.
Old 8th November 2012, 13:03     #36374
Juju
get to da choppa

Yea, we don't have a grand.
Hopefully he won't be a cunt.
Old 8th November 2012, 13:08     #36375
Lightspeed

Ah, private property ownership, the real first world issue.
Old 8th November 2012, 13:28     #36376
aR Que

Quote:
Yea, we don't have a grand.
Hopefully he won't be a cunt.
hmm, guts, i'd be a cunt over a metre of boundary.

have a look around for a peg, eh, if you find one i can give you some bearings and chainage from cadastral information i have access to (can still be iffy) to determine the others, wont be fantastic, but *shrug* i'll only charge you one round of tummy sticks.
Old 8th November 2012, 13:54     #36377
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
Going halves is the neighbourly thing to do. If he doesn't agree and refuses to pay half, I'd still get the survey done anyway and pay for it myself.
Indeed. At this point you want to keep him on side as much as possible so he has less of a reason to be a cunt later. I mean, he may still be a cunt anyway but at least you can point out that you've been reasonable.
Old 8th November 2012, 15:12     #36378
Baal

It's gonna go south when he realises he can't build driveway so you might as well cut through that crap and tell him to shove his truck up his ass and get right to the hating.
Old 8th November 2012, 20:46     #36379
chiQ
Frag-muff

Just have a chat to him about it, saying he's planning to go to work on your property, and you're not keen, and see where it goes. He might just be a dude and totally drop the idea. He may decide to be an arsehole. You don't know until you try

He consulted you re. the trees, so he can't be all bad.
Old 8th November 2012, 22:45     #36380
Trigger
Laserman

Latest South Park episode which aired less than a day ago is called Obama Wins

pretty timely TV show alright ...
Old 8th November 2012, 22:48     #36381
wazza
*flex*

lol!
Old 9th November 2012, 06:31     #36382
Deadmeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiQ
He consulted you re.
Did anyone elses mind automatically fill in the apostrophe and try to work out what kind of stupid sentence chiQ had just written?

Time for coffee
Old 9th November 2012, 08:50     #36383
pxpx

Huh?
Old 9th November 2012, 09:38     #36384
A Corpse
talkative lurker

I think he means "He consulted you're. the trees". And no, I didn't, I read it as it was written.
Old 9th November 2012, 09:39     #36385
MadMax
Stuff

firefox allows you to export all the passwords for websites you've opted to have it remember and they're displayed in plan text - not encrypted.

if you copy the ff profile data to another pc all the websites that autologin will do so on the target pc.

the above make it great for when you reinstall windows or move to another pc.

but there's got to be a hack there somewhere. easy if you can get \\pc\c$ access ... speaking of, this was dead easy to do back in the day of adsl modems and windows xp pre-service packs.

Last edited by MadMax : 9th November 2012 at 09:42.
Old 9th November 2012, 15:47     #36386
Spink

there's some promotion on with the Hobbit where you can get tickets to NZ from LA for ~$700 cheaper than they'd usually cost. Promotion ends 15th November, Flight leaving your country has to be between March and June 2013

http://www.airnewzealand.com/airline-to-middle-earth
Old 10th November 2012, 05:45     #36387
Spink

can sum1 post this in cEvin's bday thread cuz imma sleep in tomorrow and I wanna quote it so hard

Old 10th November 2012, 08:11     #36388
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
Going halves in a survey is an option yup.
I know a little about GIS, not much, but a little and more than enough to survive and prosper and be seen as an expert compared to others that work in a place like I do; as it happens I went to the ESRI seminar this week but I was so bored by the second afternoon that I went to the senior exec. summit that ran concurrently (this alternative session in reality is a more intensive sales pitch than the two-day infomercial that general attendees get - as it happens I did want to buy some extra bits and so it wasn't too bad).

Only one other insurer (EQC) ordained to attend which pretty much sums up the state of spatial awareness of insurers. We're told often by vendors that we're miles ahead of the others.

A highlight for me of the general seminar was hearing that Stats NZ have been maintaining their meshblock definitions using paper and a highlighter but are now, heaven forbid, going to use ArcGIS instead; a typical government department I guess - no commercial player would have been doing something so utterly inefficient.

Not that this is of much interest.

Anyway, what I would do is to load a map onto my iPad - the iPad is important because this needs to look sexy. Perhaps also using ESRI web maps (the free flavor) since eye popping candy is needed as well as sexiness. Then I'd trot across to the neighbor and as the new kids on the block I'd ask for their help in terms of using the iPad map to find the boundary. I'd let them hold the iPad and fondle it - take a tissue with you in case they dribble on it. Let them discover the boundary and tell you where it is. If necessary I'd be using language like "are you sure because the maps from the council (they will have heard of a council) don't look like what you're saying"; but still play dumb - the journey of discovery is for them not you. Eventually they'll get it right. After that you can ask where they are planning to put the parking after noting there doesn't look like there's enough space on their land etc.

If you don't have an iPad then this might not work for two reasons: one you won't be able to get enough sex appeal and second they'll just assume you're really telling them to fuck-off which of course you are. Remember that sex sells anything. An alternative to the iPad, if your partner is sufficiently attractive, is to send her across in a bikini (so the weather needs to be warm too or they will smell a rat) with a paper map and she can play out the same story - if she has long hair she should twirl her finger through it whilst explaining that she doesn't know how to read a map - this might work even better if it's obvious you're out.

If you can't play the sex angle then you'll need a survey done. So, show some cleavage (real or iPad) or pay a grand - those are your choices.
Old 10th November 2012, 11:06     #36389
Stalk3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Teapot
A highlight for me of the general seminar was hearing that Stats NZ have been maintaining their meshblock definitions using paper and a highlighter but are now, heaven forbid, going to use ArcGIS instead; a typical government department I guess - no commercial player would have been doing something so utterly inefficient.
i can assure you, from someone who knows, this is the least inefficient process they currently have
Old 10th November 2012, 12:53     #36390
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
I know a little about GIS, not much, but a little and more than enough to survive and prosper and be seen as an expert compared to others that work in a place like I do; as it happens I went to the ESRI seminar this week but I was so bored by the second afternoon that I went to the senior exec. summit that ran concurrently (this alternative session in reality is a more intensive sales pitch than the two-day infomercial that general attendees get - as it happens I did want to buy some extra bits and so it wasn't too bad).

Only one other insurer (EQC) ordained to attend which pretty much sums up the state of spatial awareness of insurers. We're told often by vendors that we're miles ahead of the others.

Not that this is of much interest.

Anyway, what I would do is to load a map onto my iPad - the iPad is important because this needs to look sexy. Perhaps also using ESRI web maps (the free flavor) since eye popping candy is needed as well as sexiness. Then I'd trot across to the neighbor and as the new kids on the block I'd ask for their help in terms of using the iPad map to find the boundary. I'd let them hold the iPad and fondle it - take a tissue with you in case they dribble on it. Let them discover the boundary and tell you where it is. If necessary I'd be using language like "are you sure because the maps from the council (they will have heard of a council) don't look like what you're saying"; but still play dumb - the journey of discovery is for them not you. Eventually they'll get it right. After that you can ask where they are planning to put the parking after noting there doesn't look like there's enough space on their land etc.

If you don't have an iPad then this might not work for two reasons: one you won't be able to get enough sex appeal and second they'll just assume you're really telling them to fuck-off which of course you are. Remember that sex sells anything. An alternative to the iPad, if your partner is sufficiently attractive, is to send her across in a bikini (so the weather needs to be warm too or they will smell a rat) with a paper map and she can play out the same story - if she has long hair she should twirl her finger through it whilst explaining that she doesn't know how to read a map - this might work even better if it's obvious you're out.

If you can't play the sex angle then you'll need a survey done. So, show some cleavage (real or iPad) or pay a grand - those are your choices.
Pity that won't fit in QoTD...
Old 10th November 2012, 12:58     #36391
wazza
*flex*

Yeah, really good post.
Really started my Saturday off to a good start reading that.
Loved every bit of it.
Old 10th November 2012, 17:06     #36392
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalk3r
i can assure you, from someone who knows, this is the least inefficient process they currently have
I got the feeling it was a bit like that. I feel sorry for them since they're obviously good people but are trapped by being in the public service with all of the silliness that goes with it.
Old 10th November 2012, 19:49     #36393
MadMax
Stuff

anyone else notice that starlings seem to be outnumbering sparrows?
Old 11th November 2012, 17:11     #36394
Lightspeed

I fucking hate mynas.

Ran out of expensive cat biscuits and my work schedule means it'll be a couple of days before I get to the pet store, so the cats are just on meat and they are fiending for those biscuits. Poor kitties. GO EAT THE FUCKING MYNAS!
Old 11th November 2012, 17:21     #36395
xor

pro tip: Feed your cat indoors
Old 11th November 2012, 17:39     #36396
wazza
*flex*

trololol
Old 11th November 2012, 17:55     #36397
Lightspeed

Wut?

Seriously though, I hate mynas. All this lovely bird song then SQUAAA SQUAAAA! Need some kind of UAV with myna recognition software and a mini-minigun.
Old 12th November 2012, 10:24     #36398
Juju
get to da choppa

Quote:
Funnily enough I went to use the Galaxy Tab 2.0 ASB had given me, and went to the Auckland GIS to load it up and show him... but then GIS is flash...and .. fail.

Anyhoo, turns out it was all a bit of a tea in a storm cup.
My documents say our house is 3 meters from the boundary, his documents say his house is 2 meters from the boundary, the houses are approx 4 meters apart, so go figure. We just met halfway. He's not going to concrete where we didn't want him to, nor cut the trees that we care about down (But he will trim them... they are overgrown like liz's mange).

So we were left all happy feely after that. Until Saturday night when the local retards went letterboxing and beat the shit out of a neighbour who tried to stop them.
Old 12th November 2012, 10:40     #36399
Stalk3r

Quote:
I got the feeling it was a bit like that. I feel sorry for them since they're obviously good people but are trapped by being in the public service with all of the silliness that goes with it.
actually its almost the opposite, theres half a dozen from what ive seen/heard that genuinely want to make change and make it better whilst at the same time the majority want nothing to change so their jobs dont get harder or run the risk of looking like theyre inept
Old 12th November 2012, 10:51     #36400
xor

Quote:
So we were left all happy feely after that. Until Saturday night when the local retards went letterboxing and beat the shit out of a neighbour who tried to stop them.
damn son, rough neighbourhood.

My pro tip is to never go outside when shit like that goes down. I recall an ng gamer took a sword to some broskis out Mangere way a few years ago and had said sword poked through his eye and into his brain

Where do you live?