Juju
get to da choppa

.8 * 2.2 = 1.8
Old 6th March 2007, 14:47     #82
cEvin
Love In Vein

Common themes regarding nutrition~

* At least 1.5g of protein per lb of bodyweight
* At least 20% of your calories should come from healthy fats (40% POLYUNSATURATED, 30% MONOUNSATURATED, & 30% SATURATED)
* Rest = carbs

*go 200 cals over daily requirement for bulk, 200 under for cut

* P+C+F (P = Protein, C = Carbohydrate, F = Fat) in every meal except:
o preWO (P+C)
o immediate postWO (P+C)
o and bedtime (P+F)
* Eat your fruits & veggies!
* Drink at least 1 gallon of pure water a day

Fats: DO NOT FEAR FAT!
* Nuts (ALL KINDS)
* Peanut/Almond butter
* Egg yolks
* Avocados
* Fatty Fish
* Fish oil
* Olive oil

Stay away from:
* Empty calories (I.E. NON-DIET SODA)
* High fructose corn syrup aka HFCS (CHECK INGREDIENT PANEL)
* Synthetic trans fats
Old 6th March 2007, 14:50     #83
Whiplash
Bobo Fettish

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nic
dunno if there is an answer to this question, but what is the recommended amount of protein (maybe in grams?) that you eat per day if you wanna put on muscle?
The human body, on average, will absorb/utilize 30g of ingested protein in any one sitting (I believe). So don't bother with shakes that are like "zomg 40 grams protein! Semen bonus!" because you'll just pee it out or it'll break down into nitrogen and other stuff and sit there doing nothing.

It's not so much the quantity of protein ingested per day that really matters (although, it is important) - what you should be aiming for is the 'when' part of the equation.

If you're able to, have a shake (mix with water or something) and sip at it during your workout. This is generally a pain in the ass so most people don't do it. Go for your protein fix as soooooooooon as you can when you finish the workout. Having it before the workout is also a good idea but I don't like it because I don't like working out on a full stomach.

Last edited by Whiplash : 6th March 2007 at 14:51.
Old 6th March 2007, 15:35     #84
s0nic

so its no point in drinking those new up 'n gos?

ive been told that they are pretty decent as they pack in 20g of protein...?
Old 6th March 2007, 15:39     #85
Whiplash
Bobo Fettish

Sure, why not. But I avoid any kind of protein shake (...) as a snacky thing. 'Real' food is so much better. But, of course, it's bloody hard to eat and eat and eat and eat all day so a shake is a good quick fix. But just time them right and you'll be fine. If you just have them all the time most of the protein will go to waste and you'll end up with love handles.

I'm a fan of One Square Meal. A serving size is two bars, so I have one as mid-morning and the other as mid afternoon snackys.
Old 6th March 2007, 15:48     #86
s0nic

oh dear. im trying to lose my love handles...hah
Old 6th March 2007, 16:00     #87
Clay

Right I'm after some advice/recommendations from you lot !

Below is a routine thats been put together for me, its all built around toning. Do the three days work, then a day off and repeat.

I'm not looking to bulk up, just definition and lose a little weight.
Now I've a Rowing machine which I'm going to be using for the Cardio component as I can't do running with my bung knee.

What I'm looking for is some advice on some ideal weights to do with each excercise (currently I'm weak as hell its embarassing), and where to put the Rowing into it....on the day off or before/after the weights?

Day 1
Chest, Shoulders and Arms Sets Reps
Flat Chest Press 5 (12 - 15)
Flat Chest Flies 4 (10 - 12)
Press ups 4 (10 -12)
Bicep Curls 5 (10 each arm)
Hammer Curls 4 (10 each arm)
Overhead Tricep Extensions 5 (10 each arm)
French Presses 5 (10 - 12)

Day 2
Shoulders and Backs Sets Reps
Seated Shoulder Press 5 (10 - 12)
Laterial Raises 5 ( 8 - 10)
Reverse Flies 4 (8 - 10)
Front Raises 4 (10 Each Arm)
Upright Rows 4 (10 - 12)
Dead Lifts 5 (10 - 12)
Single Arm Row 4 (10 Each Arm)

Day 3
Abs and Legs Sets Reps
Squats 6 (10 - 12)
Dumb Bell Lunges 3 (10 Each Leg)
Calf Raises 5 (12 - 15)
Dumb Bell Side Bends 4 (10 each side)
Tuck Crunch 5 (12 - 15)
Old 6th March 2007, 16:08     #88
cEvin
Love In Vein

i think you're doing too much shit, simplify it if you're just staring out, 4-5 exercises per lifting day, lower the rep range to perhaps 4x5 or 5x5.

"toning" is bullshit, just eat better and row off some of that fat if dropping bodyfat is your goal.

they say you can't grow muscle and lose fat at the same time, so do one or the other. if you're skinny, put on some weight first then remove/cut the fat later.

it doesn't really matter when you do the cardio, it's just personal preference - though before weights is just going to make your lifts tired, so don't do it then. on the off days makes sense.
Old 6th March 2007, 16:08     #89
Whiplash
Bobo Fettish

Chuck your rowing (or time on a bike) between those days. Just because they're 'rest' days doesn't mean you sit on your ass and do nothing ;-) The lighter exercises between weight days will help with recovery times.

Unless you want to do like ... 5 minutes of rowing/cycling as a warmup in which case - yeh before the weights would be ok. Especially if you have a poo knee. Warm that sucker up before putting strain on it.

Last edited by Whiplash : 6th March 2007 at 16:09.
Old 6th March 2007, 16:36     #90
Sgt Seb
Up Unt At Dem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heresy
how's your form?

try perform scapular retraction prior to beginning the lift. It's easier with a barbell than dumbells.

It basically involves lifting the barbell, holding the weight up at the top of the lift as you would when you're about to start the set, and then dropping your shoulders back, like you're trying to touch your shoulder blades together. Don't force it too much though. Keep your shoulders position like this throughout the set, this should help isolate your chest better.

Also, do flys as MACHINE recommended - if you're doing flat bench then do incline flys, or vice versa.
yeah i was reading on skinnyguy.net about this...i am going to try it next time.
Old 6th March 2007, 16:40     #91
wishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by wugambino
I’m doing the rotorua --> taupo again at the end of march and I have been mega slack with my training. While I’m a lot fitter then I was this time last year , I only went for my first ride since November yesterday :|
Well done on doing it, i was gonna but i think im gonna pike. Im away for 3 days before it helping with a school camp (100's kids running around screaming)

I may change my mind yet - but im pretty sure ill give that one a miss
Old 6th March 2007, 16:42     #92
Sgt Seb
Up Unt At Dem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash
Sure, why not. But I avoid any kind of protein shake (...) as a snacky thing. 'Real' food is so much better. But, of course, it's bloody hard to eat and eat and eat and eat all day so a shake is a good quick fix. But just time them right and you'll be fine. If you just have them all the time most of the protein will go to waste and you'll end up with love handles.

I'm a fan of One Square Meal. A serving size is two bars, so I have one as mid-morning and the other as mid afternoon snackys.
those one square meals are not bad but i noticed they have 90g of carbs!! and on the website it says 30g is simple carbs, 60g complex. the up and go im having now is 40g carbs (25g of that is sugar). for my diet im supposed to have 40g of carbs 6 times a day. this might be why im gaining love handles :P im having the right amount of carbs, but too much of it is simple carbs...which turns into fat i assume.

so im guessing a potato or something like taht would be 100% complex carbs?

but screw eating potatoes all day :/

i wish there was just a pill you could swallow which would have the right amount of protein/carbs/fat :P
Old 6th March 2007, 16:47     #93
cEvin
Love In Vein

calories are calories, both carbs are still 4 cals per gram - eat less if you're gaining fat

up&go is bs
Old 6th March 2007, 17:08     #94
s0nic

really? even the "upngo" energize with 20g protein?

damn. it sux cause i hate seafood. plus my family is vegetarian so it kinda sux eating lots of protein.

any protein powders anyone recomend?
Old 6th March 2007, 17:15     #95
cEvin
Love In Vein

it just seems a rip off?

put a banana, 1/2 cup of oats, cottage cheese + low fat milk into a shake instead for 1/4 the cost..
Old 6th March 2007, 17:30     #96
Sgt Seb
Up Unt At Dem!

up and go only 6.90 from supermarket for 3, thats the big ones. so it doesnt work out that expensive, although your way is cheaper. thing is im lazy and cant be bothered cleaning the blender daily.
Old 6th March 2007, 18:24     #97
leadinjector

those one square meal things are like eating newspaper glued together with brick dust. with a dash of urine for flavour :/
Old 6th March 2007, 20:25     #98
wishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nic
really? even the "upngo" energize with 20g protein?

damn. it sux cause i hate seafood. plus my family is vegetarian so it kinda sux eating lots of protein.

any protein powders anyone recomend?
Try milk and dairy products, or eggs.
soy beans also have a pile of protein.
the powders taste like crap most of the time, i go for Horleys Carbless protein bars which are somewhat like a milky way
Old 6th March 2007, 20:28     #99
]- Volatile -[

Just did 3 sets of Dead lifts 8 reps of about 90kg

Flat bench 3 sets of 10 at about 55 kg

also did 3x8 of barbell rows at 60 kg

after workout for tea i had 3 pieces of toast with Cottage cheese and tuna

as my wife wasnt home to make ma tea.
Old 6th March 2007, 21:40     #100
Helious

I ate one square meals for a while there, a mate at work bought a whole stack thinking he was teH_man, then he found out he thought they were disgustingly difficult to eat. I read the back of the packet and I was sold. The first few took 15mins each to eat, but I got it down to the couple of minutes in the end. Haven't had them since I stopped training late November, but yeah, they're all good but difficult to get used to at first, especially if you're someone who's quite sensitive to tastes.
Old 6th March 2007, 22:28     #101
xor

I'm loving this thread, fatties and scrawny geeks sharing intel on how to get massive

The internets is funny
Old 6th March 2007, 23:07     #102
wugambino
Electric Boogaloo

my protien intake is wayyyy down on what it was , im getting about 20g tops at the moment , last year I was around 80~! Im trying to loose some bulk as carting it uphill on a bike is not fun.

At the moment im doing 30 mins of cardo at 80% max heart rate at the end of every weights session ... feel sorry for the other people on the train on my trip home ha!
Old 7th March 2007, 00:05     #103
Hotstuff

I'm down to under 88kg! I think it must be about 5 years since I was this slim.

How did it happen? Not by hard workouts or dieting, but by only a few weeks of daily light exercises that an osteopath has given me to do, intended to help my bad back.
Old 7th March 2007, 00:25     #104
wishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helious-
I ate one square meals for a while there, a mate at work bought a whole stack thinking he was teH_man, then he found out he thought they were disgustingly difficult to eat.
Holy crap, 694 kcal per serving! i only eat about 1200 a day :O
Old 7th March 2007, 00:31     #105
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash
oh those things are good. 33.3% of everything. gotta be good for ya

i'm going to check if my wholesale supplier has them, and buy a whole bunch.

as for sweating, i find i sweat moderately during exercise and as soon as i stop it pours out.
Old 7th March 2007, 11:07     #106
Mazon

90% of putting on muscle is eating.
1 gram protein per pound of lean body mass.
2 – 2.5 grams carbs per pound of lean body mass.

If you are noob don’t crank low rep workouts eg 5x5, that’s an advanced workout.

Also I think you guys are better off going to the www.bodybuilding.com forums, there’s a little more knowledge there than there is here :P Also if you’re buying whey from shops such as health 2000, you’re probably better off ordering from bb.com.

Ps – Nice eating plan Cevin. Sticking to clean foods, even though by the sound of it you’re a hard-gainer (?).
Old 7th March 2007, 11:09     #107
cEvin
Love In Vein

1/3 of your daily fat in one sugar filled carb bar? no thanks :/

Quote:
Ps – Nice eating plan Cevin. Sticking to clean foods, even though by the sound of it you’re a hard-gainer (?).
Yep hardgainer, but i prefer to keep it mostly clean. pizza on sundays

Last edited by cEvin : 7th March 2007 at 11:10.
Old 7th March 2007, 12:30     #108
Whiplash
Bobo Fettish

Quote:
Originally Posted by cEvin
1/3 of your daily fat in one sugar filled carb bar? no thanks
It's ok (so far) for me at least with my 3 weight-training days, 2 cardio days and 2 or 3 nights of training per week. I need the calories I'll probably get bored of them and change to something else but for what they are they're a good meal replacement for the lazy.

Gotta have lots of water with them though.
Old 7th March 2007, 12:33     #109
Robo-K1ll

I went to my first Ninjutsu class last night and it was _awesome_.
Going back on Thursday night and then again for a seminar on Saturday
Old 7th March 2007, 12:39     #110
leadinjector

so what do you do in ninjer class? watch reruns of TMNT and talk about how much you wish you were japanese?
Old 7th March 2007, 12:44     #111
]- Volatile -[

no they take pics of each other topless in camo pants.
Old 7th March 2007, 12:46     #112
]- Volatile -[

Do you guys drink much coffee? is it that bad for you? i know a black sugarless coffee is good to kick start the fat burning process,but what about a daily coffee drinker i have about 2-3 coffees a day with half a sugar and milk,any one else?
Old 7th March 2007, 12:52     #113
Whiplash
Bobo Fettish

Lots of articles out there on the 'health' side of coffee. Do a search on www.menshealth.com -- or even just google it for a more comprehensive answer.

From memory - nothing too bad.
Old 7th March 2007, 13:52     #114
Helious

A few of the gym junkies here at work have around 3 a day..

Just drink it black with skim milk au
Old 7th March 2007, 14:52     #115
MadMax
Stuff

some good info in this thread
Old 7th March 2007, 15:17     #116
Robo-K1ll

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadinjector
so what do you do in ninjer class? watch reruns of TMNT and talk about how much you wish you were japanese?
When I walked in they had already started with a game of dive roll tag. The 3 of us newbies got taken through proper rolling techniques and falling techniques. Then the instructor took the group through about 6 excersises which involved countering punches to the face and taking your opponent to the ground in different ways. The whole thing is very brutal and is designed to wreck people.
Old 7th March 2007, 15:23     #117
Simon
SHG

I believe the technical description is "totally flip out and wreck people".
Old 7th March 2007, 16:16     #118
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Seb
what tips/techniques do you guys have for bench press or dumb bell press
Form is important. It's easy to slip into shit form when you're trying to increase your press. Using a seated bench press machine like the Hammer is a good way to break-on-thru, and work on your form. Get off it once you've sussed it as you really should be using stabilising muscles in addition to your chest and tris. Always remember, shoulders stay down, back stays flat, keep your abs tense. Also, don't come down/back too far between lifts - if you do you'll increase your strain factor and reduce the effectiveness of the motion on that chest of yours. Remember also - power action on the way up, stable and slow on the way down.

Get a spotter for real heavy stuff, and always finish your sets - even if your spotter is taking a percentage of the weight.
Old 7th March 2007, 16:43     #119
leadinjector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo-K1ll
When I walked in they had already started with a game of dive roll tag. The 3 of us newbies got taken through proper rolling techniques and falling techniques. Then the instructor took the group through about 6 excersises which involved countering punches to the face and taking your opponent to the ground in different ways. The whole thing is very brutal and is designed to wreck people.
so the standard hokey "big lunge punch followed by standing still while the other guy does his mad moves" stuff eh? cool.
Old 7th March 2007, 17:06     #120
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadinjector
so the standard hokey "big lunge punch followed by standing still while the other guy does his mad moves" stuff eh? cool.
Watch out robo, this guy wears army pants. He must be tough. It's good that you're taking something up and enjoying it. Lead's just angry coz you don't wear army pants.