NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 10th August 2007, 21:03     #401
Heresy
yawn.

love me a bitta the old "you won't believe this weirdo at the gym" thing...

I've been going to my new gym (Fitness First, High Holborn, London) for 6 weeks now. There's one guy who insists on doing the most fucked up exercises I've probably ever seen - never does anything standard or by the book. The first thing I saw was his redention of deadlifts - basically standing with his legs split wide apart in triangle fashion, so he couldn't really bend his knees. Another one where he stands a full-length barbell on it's end, puts 20 - 40kgs of weight on one end, and somewhat dances with it? Like drops it as you would if you were Patrick Swayze dancing with a lady, dipping her.

The best one however is his standard bench press - to show off how easy it is to lift the lower weights (eg 40kgs), he insists of letting go of the bar at the top of the lift so it gets thrown into the air, and then catching it and bringing it back down. He then gets a PT to spot him, increases the weight to 100kgs, and manages somewhere between 1 - 2 reps, with assistance from the PT for the entire lift.
Old 10th August 2007, 23:11     #402
Heresy
yawn.

DON'T BE THAT GUY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCj8Yr290tE
Old 10th August 2007, 23:22     #403
Heresy
yawn.

oh lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er5GBIg2s8k

NICE FORM BUDDY
Old 10th August 2007, 23:35     #404
cEvin
Love In Vein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heresy
jesus, that's just.... :O

i hope he has a good chiro
Old 11th August 2007, 03:31     #405
Heresy
yawn.

and the spotter guy is just standing there - I wonder what he's thinking
Old 21st August 2007, 15:58     #406
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
hoorah!
Well my workout is coming together nicely now

Sitting on a solid 85kg with 12% Body fat now

And powering through the weights. Can now do full sets of pull ups with no assisted weight...AT LAST!!

*flex*
Bah
Bulking is a bitch

I swear my stomach has bloated out and turned me into a fatty now
Going to get my bf measured soon...When I stop procrastinating.

I might have to stop eating pies AKA Porridge
Old 21st August 2007, 19:11     #407
Juju
get to da choppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju
Currently 57kg.. 65kg would be a good initial goal.
Hrm... that 57kg was an assumption based on the last time I weighed myself and thinking my body hasn't changed since then.
Turns out im 61kg.. no idea where the extra weight came from? My belt sizes and all my clothes fit the same as always... And thats from two different scales too.
8% body fat, but thats only from a 2 point test, so give or take a few % I would say.

Start properly tomorrow.... ooo im going to be sore.
Old 22nd August 2007, 13:11     #408
Sgt Seb
Up Unt At Dem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju
Hrm... that 57kg was an assumption based on the last time I weighed myself and thinking my body hasn't changed since then.
Turns out im 61kg.. no idea where the extra weight came from? My belt sizes and all my clothes fit the same as always... And thats from two different scales too.
8% body fat, but thats only from a 2 point test, so give or take a few % I would say.

Start properly tomorrow.... ooo im going to be sore.
haha thats awesome body fat level. so much better then being skinny fat. all the problems of having high body fat with none of the advantages (ie fairly strong).
Old 22nd August 2007, 23:07     #409
Heresy
yawn.

decided to throw some morning HIIT into my routine, time to get rid of the fat around my waist. 3 days a week in the mornings before breakfast, following the standard instructions from musclemedia:

http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit.asp

Keen to hear if anyone here has tried this before, and what results they got, if any
Old 23rd August 2007, 10:05     #410
xor

I'm guessing you want to lose weight?

I've heard good things about it, but you have to be dedicated in terms of diet and shit. It's easy to go to the gym and push weights and go for a run. Limiting what you eat and eating the right food is another

How tall? What weight? How much bf% do you have?
Old 23rd August 2007, 10:09     #411
cEvin
Love In Vein

thought you were bulking heresy?
Old 23rd August 2007, 21:39     #412
Heresy
yawn.

I want to throw in some cardio - I can afford to lose a bit of fat. I've been planning to do it, and HIIT seems to be a good way to do it whilst maintaining existing lean mass. I'm thinking I may be better suited to cut down and then clean bulk, as opposed to standard bulking. My diet is good, I eat healthy by default and have done for a number of years, but I struggle to really eat enough to what would normally fit under a "bulking" diet - my caloric intake is just not consistently high enough. My lifestyle here in London is pretty hectic, especially with weekends away overseas which just throws everything out of sync anyway, so I think I might need to tweak what I'm doing to get the best results.
Old 23rd August 2007, 23:50     #413
Heresy
yawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
I'm guessing you want to lose weight?

I've heard good things about it, but you have to be dedicated in terms of diet and shit. It's easy to go to the gym and push weights and go for a run. Limiting what you eat and eating the right food is another

How tall? What weight? How much bf% do you have?
I want to lose fat, I don't need to lose weight. I'm 6'0, just under 80kgs, so I'm not overweight. Haven't had a bf% reading in ages - I would say somewhere around 16% or so.

HIIT doesn't take very long - that's another attraction for me, I find it hard to get up in the mornings and do exercise, so the shorter the better.
Old 24th August 2007, 08:12     #414
xor

Might as well Give it a shot eh. I will be doing something similar to that when I start cutting, which will be soon. Cutting is a bitch compared to bulking.

GL dude
Old 24th August 2007, 11:05     #415
cEvin
Love In Vein

Quote:
I want to lose fat, I don't need to lose weight.
i think you'll find that's a contradiction - the two go hand in hand.

yesterday I strained my lower back on pb squats
could barely walk rest of the night, slightly better today though.
no squats for a month I guess, then ill need to review my form..
Old 24th August 2007, 11:31     #416
Heresy
yawn.

yeah - I know, but you know what I mean. Hard to lose fat and not compromise muscle.

I dunno - maybe I'm just slacking off a bit. Might hit the lifting harder and see how I go from there... holidays o/seas break me.

re squats - rough - taking time off sucks because the routine and rhythm is just screwed :/

Last edited by Heresy : 24th August 2007 at 11:33.
Old 24th August 2007, 11:55     #417
xor

You can still keep your muscle mass providing you eat enough protein to maintain your muscle fibre AKAIK

btw email sent to your xtra account Heresy
Old 24th August 2007, 19:22     #418
Heresy
yawn.

xtra doesn't work anymore and hasn't for years - I can't change to my real address though because it isn't acceptable

try [email protected]
Old 24th August 2007, 19:41     #419
Azmodan

Sup excercise buddies.

I've just finished my first week at the gym and would appreciate it if you more seasoned muscle fiends would critique my program. Bear in mind this was simply made up by a trainer on an introductory visit and tweaked by a friend so feel free to offer any alternative suggestions.

I was given the following routine by a trainer:

(4 sets of 8 reps of each)

Monday:

Chest
Bench press DB
Bench press BB
Incline bench press DB
Incline bench press BB
Flies DB
Cable flies

Shoulder
Shoulder press BB
Shoulder press DB
Lateral raise
Front raise

Tuesday:

Back
Lat pull down
Back extensions
Reverse cable flies
Seated row
Single arm row

Legs
Squats
Alternating Lunges
Leg press
Leg extension
Leg curl
Calf raises

Friday:

Biceps
Seated bicep curl BB
Standing cable curl single
Bicep curl DB
Hammer curls DB

Triceps
Skull crusher BB
Double arm pushdown
Single arm pulldown
Kickbacks

As I said above I ran this by a friend who is fairly competent in the gym, he said that to start off it would be best to cut down to ~3 excercises per muscle in the interests of time (I am going with a friend). Any ideas on which exercises I should cut out? I've heard after ~3/4 weeks its a good idea to change the routine up, so perhaps I'd go back to them then?

Any help appreciated as i'm still a gym rookie.
Old 25th August 2007, 01:35     #420
Heresy
yawn.

looks okay - lots of isolation exercises which are good to start on for a beginner. Basically it should work for you - just push yourself and don't take it easy, and eat lots of high-quality food and protein. If you're finding it easy, increase the weight.

A lot of people generally recommend one of the 5-rep routines if you want to put on mass quickly, like Starting Strength or Mark Rippetoe's program (google for both).

Yeah, 3/4 weeks is a good time to change what you're doing - some programs out there already factor this in, for example this one here, which is the one that I am currently doing, however I am thinking about starting from scratch again next week.
Old 25th August 2007, 11:10     #421
cEvin
Love In Vein

azmo: looks ok. split routine is more advanced than say rippetoe's, which is ideal for a beginner and takes hardly any time.

but if you must stick with this, then i'd change the following:

Chest
Bench press DB
Bench press BB
Incline bench press DB
Incline bench press BB
alternate these each week instead of doing both DB and BB each time
Flies DB
Cable flies forget this

Shoulder
Shoulder press BB
Shoulder press DB
alternate the above
Lateral raise
Front raise

Tuesday:

Back
Lat pull down remove
Back extensions or do pullups?
Reverse cable flies remove
Seated row replace with bent over row?
Single arm row

Legs
Squats
Alternating Lunges remove
Leg press
Leg extension
Leg curl remove
Calf raises

Friday:

Biceps
Seated bicep curl BB remove
Standing cable curl single remove
Bicep curl DB
Hammer curls DB
add in some chins?

Triceps
Skull crusher BB
Double arm pushdown remove
Single arm pulldown remove
Kickbacks

you could add or rotate the other stuff in if you start to hit a plateau in a year?

Last edited by cEvin : 25th August 2007 at 11:11.
Old 25th August 2007, 15:06     #422
Lat1n0

Lots of exercise yunkies in here - Ming you I swim 3 days a week and go to the gym the other 2 days
Old 25th August 2007, 16:47     #423
xor

azmo, you're doing 24sets for your chest. Hows that working out?
Old 25th August 2007, 16:59     #424
Azmodan

Nah, I've been doing 9 sets for chest eh.. had a mate go over it and he recommended I pick 3 excercises per muscle.

Thanks Heresy and cEvin, might have a look at this Rippetoe character, will update as I go
Old 25th August 2007, 17:08     #425
Abraxiss

Thats a bit of a weird split,

Back and legs on the same day seems odd to me, your back or leg workout must be really half arsed after doing the other one first.

i would split them up and add bi's in with back and tri's in with chest rather than having a whole day for arms. Remove shoulders from chest day and add to back day.

So chest/tris

back/shoulders/bi's

Legs/abs

just my opinion.

Last edited by Abraxiss : 25th August 2007 at 17:09.
Old 25th August 2007, 17:45     #426
combatspoon

Quote:
Another one where he stands a full-length barbell on it's end, puts 20 - 40kgs of weight on one end, and somewhat dances with it? Like drops it as you would if you were Patrick Swayze dancing with a lady, dipping her.
If it's what I'm thinking of, it absolutely slays your core, it's a pretty good exercise, looks weird though.
Old 25th August 2007, 18:15     #427
xor

T-Bar Row

9 sets per exercise is good, I thought it was 24. lol

I'm doing a form of rippetoe's strengthing. It's all core movements and my weights are going up quite impressively

Squat and deadlift = mother of all exercises
Old 26th August 2007, 11:33     #428
Hooker

Quote:
I've been going to my new gym (Fitness First, High Holborn, London)
hey man, what are you up to in London? I'm in Chiswick at the mo, where you living? I go to hammersmith/acton/shepards bush FF...
Old 27th August 2007, 15:42     #429
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxiss
Thats a bit of a weird split,

Back and legs on the same day seems odd to me, your back or leg workout must be really half arsed after doing the other one first.
It depends, If you do squats or deadlifts then it can be put into a back/leg routine as it hits it all pretty hard

How many chinups/pullups can you guys without failure?
palms out, in, facing etc
Old 27th August 2007, 15:53     #430
wugambino
Electric Boogaloo

I can do 15 palms facing inwards and 10 any other way ,I think it's a mental thing as once I get to 10 it's like OK WE ARE DONE HERE!
Old 27th August 2007, 16:05     #431
JP

What do you guys think of the 5 x 5? I've been weighing up whether to go with isolation or the 5 x 5. But I think with my current goals (in order: Lose fat, gain muscle), starting with the 5 x 5 until i've dropped a decent amount of bf% is prob the way to go. I could use a bit of increased base strength and it takes considerably less time so I have more for cardio. Sound good?
Old 27th August 2007, 16:13     #432
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP
What do you guys think of the 5 x 5? I've been weighing up whether to go with isolation or the 5 x 5. But I think with my current goals (in order: Lose fat, gain muscle), starting with the 5 x 5 until i've dropped a decent amount of bf% is prob the way to go. I could use a bit of increased base strength and it takes considerably less time so I have more for cardio. Sound good?
I'm currently doing 5x5 and it's going well. It's mainly a strength gaining workout more than anything. Although you can still gain mass.

I rate it. I can lift now more than I have done before.
Old 27th August 2007, 16:14     #433
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wugambino
I can do 15 palms facing inwards and 10 any other way ,I think it's a mental thing as once I get to 10 it's like OK WE ARE DONE HERE!
Good shit!

I can do 12 facing inwards. Over 15 facing each other but with my palms facing out I can do fuck all. Think I maxed out at 7reps. I think with chins it is mental.

You still doing the cycling? What's the weight training for that like?
Old 28th August 2007, 09:04     #434
wugambino
Electric Boogaloo

There was a chick at my gym yesterday who did 3 one armed pull ups :| fuck she was hot ... anyway!

yep still cycling im doing the round taupo in November ( 160km ) which I really should start training for. I'm pretty slack with the leg training , I have just started a new program that has a "leg" day which includes squats / leg press / lunges and calf raises.

My routines includes 20 mins on the bike with 3 mins warm up then intervals of 1 min high resistance @ 120rpm / 1 min low resistance at @ 90rpm. Then a sprint to failure and 3 mins to warm down .... it's a cardio killer , really good for fat burning too , started doing these intervals 4 times a week and have noticed a definite drop in my body fat.
Old 28th August 2007, 12:32     #435
cEvin
Love In Vein

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP
routine won't matter that much for losing fat, as long as you're eating right and doing cardio if you want to speed things up.
Old 7th September 2007, 12:24     #436
lektronimo

Has anyone used Total Gym, and would you recommend it?? It sells on Trademe for about $300, yet home shopping on C2 goes for $89!! Like WTF?
Old 7th September 2007, 14:06     #437
Azmodan

Started on the protein shakes, tastes like horses smell
Old 7th September 2007, 15:37     #438
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmodan
Started on the protein shakes, tastes like horses smell

you for real?
The ones I have taste fucken noice
Strawberry, Vanilla, Choc, Double choc, Choc chip, Mint etc etc
Old 7th September 2007, 15:50     #439
Sgt Seb
Up Unt At Dem!

brand makes a big difference... elite vanilla is as good as a milkshake
Old 7th September 2007, 16:22     #440
xor

meh only fat people complain about muscle food tasting shit.

In other news, I'm cutting from Monday. Gonna be cycling to and from work 3 days a week which will be about 30km each day. Gonna aim to lose about 5kg and lose about 8% bf