Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 14th November 2009, 00:45     #4001
herp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
To put it in perspective, I've been told that military requirement (for the Royal Airforce anyway) is level 9.8, All Blacks do 10 to 11, and apparently David Beckham does around level 12 or 13.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-stage_fitness_test
I don't know who told you that but I'd be super surprised if Beckham only got 13. I'd say he'd be in the late teen region. There are rumors he's even finished it after level 23. Graeme Bachop got 19 when he was in the All Blacks. Last I heard the ABs tight five were expected to get around 12 and flankers and backs around 14+.

Last edited by herp : 14th November 2009 at 00:47.
Old 14th November 2009, 00:46     #4002
Abraxiss

http://www.topendsports.com/testing/.../beep-test.htm

•Graeme Bachop, All Black scrum half, apparently did a level 19 in the early 90's.
•Most professional rugby flankers score in the 12 to 13 range, while props score around level 10. Jonah Lomu, the awesome 260 lb winger from the New Zealand All Blacks, has a best of only level 10 explaining why he is a winger and not a number 8.
Old 14th November 2009, 00:53     #4003
herp

Some international rugby players stats from that page:
# The Springboks in 2007 expected scores for the beep test range from 11.5 for the props up to 13.5 for the backs (conducted on grass, more on Springboks norms).
# English rugby legend Martin Johnson said in an interview that he was able to achieve around 14 during his playing days (EuroSport Website, Oct 2007).
# English Union players Steve Backley and Neil Back were hitting level 16 (personal report, 2002). Flanker Neil Back is sometimes reported as having completed to the test.

I can't remember my PB but I remember getting as low as around 8.9 and as high as 12. The test sucks.
Old 14th November 2009, 11:29     #4004
buckies

I clocked it and got this bonus round full of hot naked chicks.

How you like my dick now?
Old 14th November 2009, 11:43     #4005
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by herp
I don't know who told you that but I'd be super surprised if Beckham only got 13. I'd say he'd be in the late teen region. There are rumors he's even finished it after level 23. Graeme Bachop got 19 when he was in the All Blacks. Last I heard the ABs tight five were expected to get around 12 and flankers and backs around 14+.
Well there you go Kinda makes my 8.6 look pretty fail, but meh - better than I thought I'd do (hadn't attempted a beep test before yesterday).
Old 14th November 2009, 11:59     #4006
herp

I wouldn't get down on comparing yourself to professional international representatives dude. Beckhams a fitness freak.
Old 14th November 2009, 13:17     #4007
leadinjector

last time i did this test i got 13. But I used to run at a pretty competitive level and am pretty light and fit. Soccer players are pussies anyway
Old 14th November 2009, 17:37     #4008
Savage

Quote:
I wouldn't get down on comparing yourself to professional international representatives dude. Beckhams a fitness freak.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm fucking stoked with my score, didn't think I'd get anywhere near that. Anyone who knows me irl will agree I'm not exactly a sporty/fitness person, so its great for myself being able to achieve what I have in the last month or two
Old 14th November 2009, 19:56     #4009
Helious

I'm going along on Monday to a Savage workout, should be interesting. While most people(read: poofs) reckon "it's not a competition", I'm definitely there to win
Old 14th November 2009, 22:01     #4010
silva^

After a long hiatus in this thread I'm back. You may recall that last year I did a cycle trip across the USA. I lost about 6kg overall on the trip (which was beside the point, but a nice bonus considering I ate 100% junk food the whole time) and went from 84 down to 78. However after my trip I kinda slacked off and packed on the kilos. This year I did a short trip back in the states, cycling about 600km down the pacific coast, though it was tough due to lack of fitness and being overweight (it wasn't planned, but a spur of the moment thing after being picked to go to a work conference over there).

Now I'm getting back into the fitness thing again because I hate feeling overweight and unfit after having been so fit last year. I started about 4 weeks ago now and so far have lost 7kg going from 90 down to 83, I'm totally stoked. The whole time I have committed myself to weight loss, and haven't so much as touched any kind of junk food whether it be coke, takeaway, chips, ice cream, you name it, even things like margerine is off my list. It's been tough but it is always worth it when you see the rewards.

My short term goal is to get down to 75 by Christmas. I think I am still on target but even if I get under 80 I'll be happy. My ultimate goal is around the 72/73 kg mark which is where I was about 8 years ago.

My exercise regime comprises of 45 minutes of weight training each evening - not terribly heavy weights, 5kg dumbells - but I'm not looking to pack on muscle, rather tone up. That is followed by a few sit ups, and then 30 minutes on the elliptical trainer at a fairly high level. I do this 6 days a week (7 recently).

My diet comprises mostly of fruits & vegetables, chicken, fish, bread, milk, etc... the basics... (oh and cruskits, love em). I never used to eat breakfast, now I make time for it ever morning. One of the biggest things I gave up has been caffeine - no coffee of any kind (I used to pack away 3-4 a day). I feel 100x better off without it, no more issues with the ticker. I used to suffer from heart "fluctuations" (that's my diagnosis, I should have gone to a doctor) where my heart rate would speed up briefly at random times. This happened 2-3 times a week. They have completely disappeared since I started eating better and exercising, so happy about that.
Old 14th November 2009, 23:43     #4011
Helious

how tall are you ? 5'8 - 5'9 ?
Old 15th November 2009, 02:37     #4012
eff tee

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva^
...One of the biggest things I gave up has been caffeine - no coffee of any kind (I used to pack away 3-4 a day). I feel 100x better off without it, no more issues with the ticker. I used to suffer from heart "fluctuations" (that's my diagnosis, I should have gone to a doctor) where my heart rate would speed up briefly at random times. This happened 2-3 times a week. They have completely disappeared since I started eating better and exercising, so happy about that.
Sounds like heart palpitations. They're pretty common, often bought on by stimulants like caffeine, some kinds of drugs, or even adrenaline. I used to suffer from them really badly. I can't touch V or any of that crap, my heartrate will be leaping round all over the place within 10 minutes. Quite disconcerting really, but easy to avoid, provided you know the reason why it's happening. Glad yours have stopped, it's a yuck feeling.
Old 15th November 2009, 04:33     #4013
leadinjector

Quote:
My exercise regime comprises of 45 minutes of weight training each evening - not terribly heavy weights, 5kg dumbells - but I'm not looking to pack on muscle, rather tone up. That is followed by a few sit ups, and then 30 minutes on the elliptical trainer at a fairly high level. I do this 6 days a week (7 recently).

My diet comprises mostly of fruits & vegetables, chicken, fish, bread, milk, etc... the basics... (oh and cruskits, love em). I never used to eat breakfast, now I make time for it ever morning. One of the biggest things I gave up has been caffeine - no coffee of any kind (I used to pack away 3-4 a day). I feel 100x better off without it, no more issues with the ticker. I used to suffer from heart "fluctuations" (that's my diagnosis, I should have gone to a doctor) where my heart rate would speed up briefly at random times. This happened 2-3 times a week. They have completely disappeared since I started eating better and exercising, so happy about that.

not for nothing bro but if you are using DBs that light for someone your weight i would wager its more your diet thats helping than anything. Toning is one of those words that I grin and bear rather than an actual word related in any way to fitness. you dont tone using light weights.
Old 15th November 2009, 11:06     #4014
silva^

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadinjector
not for nothing bro but if you are using DBs that light for someone your weight i would wager its more your diet thats helping than anything. Toning is one of those words that I grin and bear rather than an actual word related in any way to fitness. you dont tone using light weights.
I'm 5"10 on a good day. would you recommend a heavier weight then? I used to use 6.5kg each. I've definitely noticed a difference in "tone" if you wanna call it that, but yeh maybe that's the cardio/diet I dunno. I do 5x10 reps on each arm, repeated for about 6 different exercises.
Old 15th November 2009, 12:19     #4015
cEvin
Love In Vein

use the heaviest weight you can for the given exercise while keeping perfect form
Old 15th November 2009, 12:19     #4016
JP

Quote:
I'm 5"10 on a good day. would you recommend a heavier weight then? I used to use 6.5kg each. I've definitely noticed a difference in "tone" if you wanna call it that, but yeh maybe that's the cardio/diet I dunno. I do 5x10 reps on each arm, repeated for about 6 different exercises.
You shouldn't have a set weight. You should set your reps and work on moving up. 'Toning' is losing fat and gaining muscle, you can't actually 'tone' your muscle, certainly not with light weights and high reps. So you'd basically be getting 'toned' from losing fat, which would revolve around your diet rather than the weights. I won't speak for Lead cause he knows more than me, but I think that's roughly what he meant.

Also are you only working your arms? What 5 exercises are you doing? Anything for legs?

Dumbells can give you a fine workout, but you need to be able to add weight to them so you can get stronger. If you're only using 6.5kg dumbells it should cost like $40 to get another 15-20 kgs of plates which would sort you out for a while. If you're using set weight dumbells, get two dumbell bars, it's worth it. There's all sorts of shit you can do just with dumbells, and if you have a bench (doesn't have to be a bench press bench since you're using db's) you're away for quite a while at that level imo.
Old 15th November 2009, 12:23     #4017
leadinjector

it depends on the exercise, for something like a curl or an o/head tri extension

(what this guy is doing although with 6kg, id just do it one armed)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8MoI_3iJW8

but if youre doing something like a shoulderpress or a db benchpress, yeah youd want something a bit heavier.
Old 15th November 2009, 14:01     #4018
silva^

I don't know the names of the exercises I do, I just started doing them cos I thought they'd be good ones to do. I'll try increasing the weight tonight.

As for leg exercises - I cycle everywhere and everyday, I also do 30 minutes on an elliptical trainer every evening on a fairly high resistance preset.
Old 15th November 2009, 22:00     #4019
leadinjector

i would recommend you see someone for even a one off PT session. self taught things usually dont go so well- weightlifting might seem pretty obvious but really, theres a lot to it in order to get actual results and avoid injuries.
Old 16th November 2009, 14:51     #4020
Savage

Wouldn't mind getting you along to one of our sessions sometime Lead - we're just up the road from your gym after all (we do our "routines" in the Domain).

What happened Helious?
Old 16th November 2009, 15:14     #4021
leadinjector

oh yeah i train a few people there, what time do you do it? i mostly train people there around lunch time
Old 16th November 2009, 15:21     #4022
Savage

12:05 to 12:55 Mon, Wed and Fri We base ourselves around the cricket pitch closest to the top of Morgan St, group size ranges from 8 to 15 people depending who can make it on the day (we have a core of about 7 people who come every time ).
Old 16th November 2009, 15:25     #4023
leadinjector

heh those are actually all horrible times for me, but if my guy on monday changes to tuesday which he occasionally does ill come down for it.
Old 16th November 2009, 17:49     #4024
Savage

Old 17th November 2009, 18:23     #4025
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
Goal = get from 82kg to 94kg within the next 8months
I've managed to put on just over 2kg in nearly 3weeks. Eating like a fat cunt and pushing around the weights. Newest high carb food is to cook up white rice and chilli beans, mushroom, avocado and chicken and to wrap it up in a big ass tortilla.

Any rugby players here? I haven't played rugby for a few seasons and would like to play restricted under 86kg next winter. When I was a lightweight I used to play fullback or wing but I'd be keen to mix it in the front row now that I got a bit of extra weight to push around. Anyone play 1 or 3 and have some tips? apart from growing a mighty mo...
Old 17th November 2009, 18:32     #4026
Fx.

dont be taller than the rest of the front row, hurts your back like nothing else in the scrums

Old 17th November 2009, 21:48     #4027
devilmonkey

Probably been mentioned before.. picked up a Healthy Food mag for a quick read today - and there was a story about the Height to Waist ratio (divide your waist circumference by your height(in cm)) and your waist shouldnt be more than half of your height in ratio - (.50)- I think this is a bloody good tool to use as opposed to the BMI calculation.

By theory - the BMI tool was created to classify the body health for inactive people in the 1800's.
Old 17th November 2009, 23:06     #4028
Nerral

Going back to the gym tomorrow morning. Not excited.
Old 17th November 2009, 23:36     #4029
herp

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
Any rugby players here? I haven't played rugby for a few seasons and would like to play restricted under 86kg next winter. When I was a lightweight I used to play fullback or wing but I'd be keen to mix it in the front row now that I got a bit of extra weight to push around. Anyone play 1 or 3 and have some tips? apart from growing a mighty mo...
Yep I played hooker for a few years. All pretty common sense stuff that you probably already know. Keep a straight back in the scrums, always keep your head up (this helps when the scrum colllapses you'll slide on your face as opposed to your head rolling over and breaking your neck). I used to do a lot of lower back extensions which did three things - strengthening, good posture practise for scrum time and focusing on keeping your head up.

If you play prop you should have a really strong back and if it's anything like open weight grade be prepared to have a fucking sore back after every game.

As hooker you take less power in the scrum but you have more responsibility (lineouts, hooking the ball back in the scrum). I have a few mates who play front row rep footy in the restricted grade and they're all cut cunts who hold their own pretty easily.
Old 18th November 2009, 00:10     #4030
Helious

94kgs now.
Old 18th November 2009, 00:17     #4031
crocos

Shadow of your former self, eh?

I'm somewhere between 104-105 at the moment, plan to be 100 by start of Jan (allowing for xmas/new years blob- and pig-out) and will just slowly keep whittling away: I'm not going to push too hard as I'm happy with the rate things are happening.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية

Last edited by crocos : 18th November 2009 at 00:21.
Old 18th November 2009, 05:29     #4032
Ashley
Fuck up Ashley

Helious bro that is awesome, good work.

I started out at 93kg, and am now at 88kg. I wanna hit 80 then muscle up to 90kg again. Get rid of all those fatty parts haha. Except my cock.

One thing I'm having trouble with is finding foods that give me decent amounts of energy in the morning/after a workout that aren't complete shit for you.

Bananas are good, but I want something with a bit more natural sugar, as I have pretty much cut 95% of artificial sugars out of my diet.

Had a MEAAAAAAAAAAAN steak last night, so good.
Old 18th November 2009, 05:46     #4033
herp

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
Anyone play 1 or 3 and have some tips? apart from growing a mighty mo...
Oops thought you said 1 to 3, hence me dribbling on about hooker.

Tighthead is a bit easier than loosehead as you have more stability in the scrum, but a bit more dangerous when scrum collapses as you are stuck in between two heads. I've also played both 1 and 3 open weight (wasn't fat, just had good technique) and I'd probably recommend going in at loosehead as you can get out of the scrum easier and its a bit easier to keep your head up and chin out. The tight 5 do all the grunt work in the scrums so you'll be carrying the brunt of the locks power behind you. I had a few 110kg locks behind me and I was only 90kgs so 85kg locks pushing should be sweet. Head up, back straight, hips and shoulders at same height, push through your quads - just like squats. Same with lineouts, the power comes through the legs when you lift, not your arms. I don't know exactly what you want to know I'm giving you some pretty common sense stuff, I dunno, what are you after?
Old 18th November 2009, 05:49     #4034
herp

Oh yeah when the ref says engage you want to smash the opposite front row on the first hit, really hurt them, then hold the tension until the ball is in. The lower you get the more power you will have over the other scrum. You want to crouch as low as you possibly can that way when you hit and they are higher than you then you will have totally depowered their scrum . Once the ball is in drive forward (not up). Oh yeah anytime you hear someone scream stop instantly stop pushing, someones neck is on the line.
Old 18th November 2009, 08:25     #4035
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley
Helious bro that is awesome, good work.

I started out at 93kg, and am now at 88kg. I wanna hit 80 then muscle up to 90kg again. Get rid of all those fatty parts haha. Except my cock.

One thing I'm having trouble with is finding foods that give me decent amounts of energy in the morning/after a workout that aren't complete shit for you.

Bananas are good, but I want something with a bit more natural sugar, as I have pretty much cut 95% of artificial sugars out of my diet.

Had a MEAAAAAAAAAAAN steak last night, so good.
Grapes
Old 18th November 2009, 08:28     #4036
xor

Quote:
Oops thought you said 1 to 3, hence me dribbling on about hooker.

Tighthead is a bit easier than loosehead as you have more stability in the scrum, but a bit more dangerous when scrum collapses as you are stuck in between two heads. I've also played both 1 and 3 open weight (wasn't fat, just had good technique) and I'd probably recommend going in at loosehead as you can get out of the scrum easier and its a bit easier to keep your head up and chin out. The tight 5 do all the grunt work in the scrums so you'll be carrying the brunt of the locks power behind you. I had a few 110kg locks behind me and I was only 90kgs so 85kg locks pushing should be sweet. Head up, back straight, hips and shoulders at same height, push through your quads - just like squats. Same with lineouts, the power comes through the legs when you lift, not your arms. I don't know exactly what you want to know I'm giving you some pretty common sense stuff, I dunno, what are you after?
Just that sort of info. I do heavyish compound lifts so I don't think I'd break my back.

Congrats on the weightloss helious.
Old 18th November 2009, 22:20     #4037
Savage

Grat Helious, you've overtaken me bro ... just weighed in at 95kg on the dot.

Have lost 4kg (and 3 notches on the belt) since starting the workouts listed earlier in this thread. Finding the diet side of things a LOT easier to stick to now that I'm going shopping with a specific list of items to buy (saving a fuckload of money too), which is generally leaving nothing but "acceptable" food in the house
Old 19th November 2009, 03:02     #4038
herp

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
I do heavyish compound lifts so I don't think I'd break my back.
Sorry bud but that's exactly the wrong attitude to have when you are in a scrum. Lifting heavy weights in a gym doesn't mean shit, technique reigns supreme. These videos will be alot better for you than what I've said (shoulders actually just a bit higher than hips):

Posture:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mFy1EdINw

Hitting: (particularly the binding section 25 seconds in where you get in tight and rip your shoulder out from the hooker)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBxC9...eature=related

Awesome tips:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLloJj3j7Pc

Building the scrum:
http://www.coachingrugby.com/rugby/c...ngthescrum.htm

GL what club are you going to go to?
Old 19th November 2009, 09:20     #4039
xor

Thanks for the links broski.

I'll look to play for Eden RFC.
Old 19th November 2009, 23:24     #4040
Hurtuso

Changed exercise plan to something more varied = CRIKEY! Less weights but more complementary muscle groups (so I'm told?). Luckily I'm pretty tough as I reckon.