NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 15th July 2022, 18:43     #1521
fixed_truth

Yeah, although factually correct & morally right, striving for social justice for those struggling in society can be politically damaging. Especially so in a highly tribalistic post-Trump two party system America.

But to pretend there's some pragmatic middle ground where you can tread carefully, dumb things down & not upset the masses is rubbish. What the author is really saying is that progressives shouldn't advocate for transgender rights because most Americans don't give a shit about them.

It happens to a lesser degree here when parties advocate for policies around distributive justice and affirmative action for example.
Old 15th July 2022, 20:36     #1522
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

More from the commentariat:

https://www.theatlantic.com/newslett...uctive/670522/
Old 16th July 2022, 13:49     #1523
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
…the progressives have themselves become religious nuts.

The website “Science-Based Medicine” just posted an article entitled “ The Science of Biological Sex” by Steven Novella, the host of the Skeptics Guide to the Universe podcast.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/the...iological-sex/

The article makes claims about human sexuality that are scientifically untrue. Like, “the earth is flat” untrue.

Eg

Quote:
there are intersex individuals with “ovotestes”, some of which can make both eggs and sperm.
Crazy people will always say crazy stuff. For sane people to say crazy stuff takes religion.
Old 16th July 2022, 14:01     #1524
Lightspeed

Devil grin

Ah, now I understand. You've found religion. Will yours have genitalia festivals? There's a distinct lack of those in contemporary society, don't you think?
Old 16th July 2022, 15:33     #1525
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Science twitter is blowing up over this today, and one researcher has pointed out that the paper Novella cites as evidence when he refers to "intersex individuals with ovotestes" is a paper about the reproductive systems of crustaceans. There's no such thing as a human with functioning ovotestes, and there's no such thing as an intersex crab.

But the religion requires its followers to believe. And it requires previously-respected sites and writers to ignore reality and publish flat-earth falsehoods. This is a high-visibility topic, did they think nobody would notice? Or do they not care?
Old 16th July 2022, 15:43     #1526
_indigo1

Ab, you are doing violence to those who identify as crustacean.
Old 16th July 2022, 16:11     #1527
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
But the religion requires its followers to believe.
You're demonstrating a profound belief in a particular set of models, with all the assumptions and arbitrary choices that come with such models.
Old 17th July 2022, 03:40     #1528
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I apologise for erasing the identities of all those who identify as non-binary and whose lived experience lies instead on a spectrum between human and crustacean.
Old 17th July 2022, 10:42     #1529
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I apologise ...
Classic Scottish Policeman!
Old 17th July 2022, 11:10     #1530
_indigo1

Honestly, I feel all this nonsense with pedantic squabbling over word definitions comes down to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xgx4k83zzc
Old 17th July 2022, 12:00     #1531
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

One of the greatest scenes in movie and music history.

One of my big objections to GenderWooWoo like this Steven Novella article at Science Based Medicine is that Novella is a podcast host, and SBM is the sort of site, that also publish about topics like COVID and vaccine hesitancy and autism. How can I know which articles to trust? If the host of the Skeptics Guide to the Universe and the site Science-Based Medicine post obviously false GenderWooWoo because religion, then one has to assume a non-zero possibility that the info they publish on other topics is also false. This is how mistrust in science happens.
Old 17th July 2022, 12:42     #1532
Lightspeed

I remember as a pre-teen playing with the other kids, we were messing around with outfits and costumes. Someone had used hair ties on my to create a kind of mohawk. I recall some adults in my community taking that as an opportunity to shame me for being a girl, cause only girls wear hair ties, etc., etc, and who would want to be a girl, etc., etc.

That's the kind of GenderWooWoo I see no place for in our society.

But I get it, you've got your justified beliefs. And like many whose beliefs ascend to the realm of religion you feel those beliefs need to be imposed on everyone.
Old 17th July 2022, 12:53     #1533
fixed_truth

The amount of transgender demonizing and scaremongering with that #genderwoowoo is scary.

Religious right got people fighting a culture war to distract them from starting a class war.
Old 17th July 2022, 13:42     #1534
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Yeah, that's my point. One used to have confidence that in a clash between the religious right and the progressive left that the progressives would eventually win because theirs was the side of science and reason and that stuff, you know, works. But GenderWoowoo is now a conflict between conservative religious nuts and progressive religious nuts. There's no voice of reason any more.

And you get the phenomenon I mentioned above; when an info source says "we are a source of truth against all the misinformation" and then that source publishes Genderwoowoo which is obviously false, then one can't trust any of the other stuff from that info source.
Old 17th July 2022, 13:54     #1535
Lightspeed

Wait, what?

There was a voice of reason at some point? When did I miss that?

Are you sure you're not just missing the days when you believed the lie?
Old 17th July 2022, 14:46     #1536
Lightspeed

Quote:
And you get the phenomenon I mentioned above; when an info source says "we are a source of truth against all the misinformation" and then that source publishes [thing I don't believe] which is obviously false, then one can't trust any of the other stuff from that info source.
Bet a lot of Trumpers and anti-vaxxers have gone through this.
Old 17th July 2022, 15:14     #1537
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
There was a voice of reason at some point? When did I miss that?
You know how we don't burn women for being witches any more, and put a telescope in space? That.
Old 17th July 2022, 15:55     #1538
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Cat don't believe that shit
Old 17th July 2022, 16:05     #1539
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
cause only girls wear hair ties, etc.... That's the kind of GenderWooWoo I see no place for in our society.
I agree. Men can wear hair ties, dresses, high heels, get fucked in the ass or change their name to Michelle from Michael. It still doesn't make them women. Let's not limit the definition of women and men to be behaviour or appearance based. Freedom etc.

Quote:
you feel those beliefs need to be imposed on everyone.
I agree. People can believe whatever bullshit they want, but it doesn't make the whole of science "updated" or somehow wrong. That's why I stick to my own beliefs and I don't care what others think, I don't have to pray facing Mecca or announce my pronouns.
Old 17th July 2022, 18:07     #1540
Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
Lol, cat be like, "Fuckup with your pronouns bitch"...

Speaking of which, has anyone had to use he/him, she/her etc... pronouns in their email sigs for work yet?
It's not forced, but it is encouraged for my workplace.
Old 17th July 2022, 18:15     #1541
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Pretty sure employers can't force you to make expressions of religious faith.
Old 17th July 2022, 20:02     #1542
fixed_truth

Quote:
I agree. Men can wear hair ties, dresses, high heels, get fucked in the ass or change their name to Michelle from Michael. It still doesn't make them women. Let's not limit the definition of women and men to be behaviour or appearance based. Freedom etc.
I've said it quite plainly a few times now. Man & woman are social categories of which society determines.

Don't worry you can still believe whatever you want and not care what others think. Freedom etc
Old 17th July 2022, 20:18     #1543
_indigo1

THERE .. ARE ...... FOUR!.. LIGHTS!!
Old 17th July 2022, 23:53     #1544
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
BBC apologises after interviewing transgender athlete who boasted of violence against women

The BBC has apologised for interviewing a transgender athlete who boasted about knocking women out, in a discussion about female-only sports.

Fallon Fox, an American former martial arts fighter, was invited onto BBC Radio 4’s Today programme last month after trans athletes were barred from women’s elite races if they have gone through male puberty.

She had tweeted: “For the record, I knocked two out. One woman’s skull was fractured, the other not. And just so you know, I enjoyed it. See, I love smacking up TEFS (sic)"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...e-who-boasted/
such inclusiveness
Old 18th July 2022, 12:43     #1545
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

More from the world of woo-woo, horoscopes are real and government policy based on them will receive 100 million dollars taxpayer funding:

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-z...authority.html

Fortunately we have lots of teachers and nurses and cops, so this money was just lying around.

edit: lolololol

Quote:
This article is part of Public Interest Journalism funded through NZ On Air
Old 18th July 2022, 13:33     #1546
Lightspeed

You can get government funding for acupuncture and chiropractic care too.

Placebos work.

Altho, it's not really a placebo when using mysticism to address mental health concerns.
Old 19th July 2022, 12:20     #1547
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Norwegian feminist faces 3 years in jail for claiming 'trans' males aren't women

You know your ideas aren't very good when you have to put someone in jail who points out that you're wrong.
Old 19th July 2022, 12:30     #1548
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
You can get government funding for acupuncture and chiropractic care too.
One hundred million dollars’ worth?
Old 19th July 2022, 14:13     #1549
Lightspeed

If not already, eventually.
Old 19th July 2022, 14:51     #1550
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

That there’s evidently an infinite number of dollars available to be printed when the government of the day wants to virtue-signal might explain the current rate of inflation.
Old 19th July 2022, 15:08     #1551
Lightspeed

Yeah, governments the world over are busy virtue signalling, that's why we're all experiencing inflation. It's nothing to do with a period of globally reduced productivity while consumption levels remain largely the same.

Money for mental health is a waste. Money for Maori is obviously a waste. Money for Maori mental health? You've got to be fucking kidding me, amirite?!

Totally virtue signalling.
Old 19th July 2022, 15:10     #1552
fixed_truth

Quote:
Norwegian feminist faces 3 years in jail for claiming 'trans' males aren't women

You know your ideas aren't very good when you have to put someone in jail who points out that you're wrong.
Most developed democracies have laws that restrict hate speech to protect the 'social equality, dignity or security of historically marginalised citizens'. A lot of these countries (incl. Norway) have also passed into law a gender recognition act.

So if a countries government decides that gay couples can have the same rights as same sex-couples, or that non-white citizens have the same rights as white citizens, or legally recognises a transsexual person's gender - then if your speech goes against this AND is shown to be harrassment and/or reaches the threshold for hate speech in that country, then there will be a consequence.
Old 19th July 2022, 15:18     #1553
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
(Plaintiff) Jentoft previously sparked controversy after inviting children to contact him for hugs in a tweet made in 2018.
Back on up, we got ourselves a groomer
Old 19th July 2022, 15:20     #1554
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
One hundred million dollars’ worth?
Can the Govt. say here's some money to spend on Maori led improvement in Maori health outcomes but you can only spend it on what we say?
Old 19th July 2022, 15:21     #1555
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Money for mental health is a waste. Money for Maori is obviously a waste. Money for Maori mental health? You've got to be fucking kidding me, amirite?!
It's horoscopes.
Old 19th July 2022, 15:35     #1556
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Back on up, we got ourselves a groomer
I did lol. But also I've seen videos from pride marches of people giving out 'dad' hugs to broken trans kids who's parents have disowned them and they've internalized all the transphobic hate society sends their way and it's pretty sad.
Old 19th July 2022, 15:38     #1557
_indigo1

Quote:
...government funding for acupuncture..
I asked an ADHB mental health psychiatrist and social worker about this just recently and they told me it isn't covered.

Placebo or not, accu is extremely helpful to my wellbeing - can you elaborate on how this funding is applied for?

Last edited by _indigo1 : 19th July 2022 at 15:40.
Old 19th July 2022, 15:47     #1558
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
It's horoscopes.
It's mental health practice.

But I get it. Plenty of people out there willing to buy that line and sure as hell plenty willing to sell it. This is the primary hurdle many effective strategies to mental health practice, trauma service, child protection services face: how often the most effective approaches won't work because they'll be disingenuously framed or misunderstood for the sake of scoring easy political points.

It's why we end up with so many managers in clinical settings.

We wouldn't be facing a climate crisis if more people took the time to wonder at the stars. It comes with a much lower carbon footprint than chasing what we can have, what we can know.
Old 19th July 2022, 15:52     #1559
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by _indigo1
I asked an ADHB mental health psychiatrist and social worker about this just recently and they told me it isn't covered.

Placebo or not, accu is extremely helpful to my wellbeing - can you elaborate on how this funding is applied for?
Visit a physio who offers acupuncture and accepts ACC clients, and have a relevant injury. I didn't specifically seek it out, it just happened that's a treatment they offered.
Old 19th July 2022, 15:56     #1560
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
I did lol. But also I've seen videos from pride marches of people giving out 'dad' hugs to broken trans kids who's parents have disowned them and they've internalized all the transphobic hate society sends their way and it's pretty sad.
That's not what we're talking about. We're talking about this man:

He invited children on the Internet to seek him out for hugs, because he identifies as a lesbian and can be their mother.

But a woman who tweeted that this state of affairs is bonkers is the one facing three years in jail after the man in the photo above laid a complaint.