NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > The year of rugby
User Name
Password

Old 17th July 2007, 10:11     #1
Kryten

Bledisloe - Game Two

Let's be clear - fuck the Tri Nations, this weekend is all about retaining the Bledisloe Cup.

Huxley's out of the team after acting up while pissed in a night club and hurting himself, and the Wallabies are drafting Chris Latham into the squad as quickly as they can. While he undoubtedly has talent, apparently he didn't look very comfortable in the game he played over the weekend so is more likely to be a liability.

The Wallabies are in danger of believing in their own press - here's hoping we can capitalise (finally).
Old 17th July 2007, 11:49     #2
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

So with Latham out of practice and shaky, will the ABs once more completely fail to test him? Will they put up bombs under lights to Latham, or will they try and run it out from every phase, inevitably dropping the ball?
Old 17th July 2007, 12:30     #3
pig

I think the biggest annoyance with how the AB's are playing at the moment is that they are playing into the offside & defence orientated backlines of SA & Aussie. I dunno if this is on purpose to test themselves & not show anything before the World Cup or what but there is no bloody way they can afford to do anything like that this weekend.
They need to play some smart territory based footy & run it when it's on not all the bloody time.

Last edited by pig : 17th July 2007 at 12:31.
Old 17th July 2007, 13:32     #4
Griven

Sivi out as well =/
Old 17th July 2007, 14:16     #5
Kryten

Squad

Quote:
Backs
Mils Muliaina, Doug Howlett, Isaia Toeava, Luke McAlister, Joe Rokocoko, Daniel Carter, Byron Kelleher.

Forwards
Rodney So'oialo, Richie McCaw (captain), Jerry Collins, Chris Jack, Keith Robinson, Carl Hayman, Anton Oliver, Tony Woodcock.

Reserves: Keven Mealamu, Neemia Tialata, Reuben Thorne, Chris Masoe, Brendon Leonard, Aaron Mauger, Nick Evans.
Old 17th July 2007, 15:56     #6
vorlon

I like the look of this side.. now I reckon we will see if Toeava can handle Mortlock.
Old 17th July 2007, 15:59     #7
Jenza

What's the deal with the tri-nations? Do we have to win by x number of points to keep it?
Old 17th July 2007, 16:06     #8
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenza
What's the deal with the tri-nations? Do we have to win by x number of points to keep it?
No, SA are on 4 points, Oz & NZ are on 8. Who ever wins will get the trophy.

If it is a draw, Aus would take it as they bet us.
Old 17th July 2007, 16:13     #9
badassmofo

Good team, Byron will have to be on his toes after a lot of time on the sidelines this season.
Old 17th July 2007, 16:53     #10
JERI

I'm kinda optimistic about this Saturday's test, I reckon after two tests they'll probably have gotten their what-to-dos and what-not-to-dos sorted out.

Of course, I was sure the All Blacks were gonna win the Bledisloe I as well.
Old 17th July 2007, 20:29     #11
Koldzy

No Conrad Smith at all is the first major disagreement i've had with Graham Henry. Apart from that it's our top side imo, save for Sivivatu in place of Howlett.

Last edited by Koldzy : 17th July 2007 at 20:31.
Old 17th July 2007, 21:53     #12
buckies

This team is what I've been preaching all season:

McAlister + Toeva = #1 midfield combo
Leonard = Best bench halfback (he will be a great halfback and will start next year). Just say NO to having both weepu and kelleher in your 22, as they both play the same sh*t game.

A bit weak with fag boy Howlett on the wing (i'd have gone Gear), but all in all this team will crush Aussie. 13+ is a certainty.
Old 18th July 2007, 12:30     #13
slippers

I agree with blynk 100%

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
So with Latham out of practice and shaky, will the ABs once more completely fail to test him? Will they put up bombs under lights to Latham, or will they try and run it out from every phase, inevitably dropping the ball?
I hope not - this is not part of our game and never has been. Perhaps if Evans comes on he could go for it, (being an ex-aussie rules player) but otherwise, nuh. We dont do bombs, we run the ball.
Old 20th July 2007, 00:58     #14
caffiend

Let's hope Robinson makes it past the warm-up. I also agree that Gear should be in instead of Howlett. Otherwise good side.
Old 21st July 2007, 10:54     #15
untouchable

Really looking forward to tonight. !
Old 21st July 2007, 18:21     #16
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

I'm starting to get nervous ...
Old 21st July 2007, 19:29     #17
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

COME ON PEOPLE.

IT'S TIME TO GET YOUR BLACK ON.
Old 21st July 2007, 19:58     #18
JERI

Go Blacks!

AB23-17Aus
Old 21st July 2007, 20:35     #19
Killa

Score? I'm stuck at work.
Old 21st July 2007, 20:50     #20
BaM
Freeloader

http://www1.streaming.net.nz/meta/r2-stream-1.asx
Old 21st July 2007, 21:25     #21
StN
I have detailed files

I was tempted to put $5 on Oz - paying out around $25 - then I'd be happy either way...
Old 21st July 2007, 22:20     #22
Dornak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaM
Awesome! Love that commentary.

"Here come the ciminal element again"

"Pass it to the mother-fucker, that's right Ozzies, we're going to fuck you up!"

Just what I needed when I didn't have time to get out to the Walkabout in the morning.
Old 21st July 2007, 22:34     #23
pig

Sweet, tough game but at least we played smart in the second half.
I know it wasn't a night for backlines but damn Mortlock played well for them, he was pretty dominant in the midfield.
I reckon the only bloke we have who may be able to do anything similiar is Nonu but i dunno if he has any chance to get a shot given his errors & temperament. Lineouts seemed to be much better when Mealamu came on ?
Old 21st July 2007, 22:58     #24
slippers

The Wallabies never looked like scoring a try, not even a glimpse. I think that is very telling. Our bench players made enough of an impact to pull the rest of the team through to 80 minutes.

Ref did a pretty good job really.

We win..... I think this gives us the momentum leading into the RWC.
Old 21st July 2007, 23:36     #25
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

First game in a long time where I haven't wanted the ref torn apart by wild dogs. Full credit to the taff.
Old 22nd July 2007, 00:12     #26
Heresy
yawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
Sweet, tough game but at least we played smart in the second half.
I know it wasn't a night for backlines but damn Mortlock played well for them, he was pretty dominant in the midfield.
I reckon the only bloke we have who may be able to do anything similiar is Nonu but i dunno if he has any chance to get a shot given his errors & temperament. Lineouts seemed to be much better when Mealamu came on ?
Mealamu is ten times the lineout thrower than Oliver (54 tests, 15 career test points) has ever been, and ever will be. Oliver has been a lineout liability his entire career. However, Oliver is probably five times the scrummager that Mealamu is. Mealamu (45 tests, 40 career test points) is a far superior ball carrier and attacking player. Even though Oliver's lineouts were (typically) shoddy today, god damn it was good to see the Aussie scrum with absolutely no idea in the first half. That was one of the highlights of the game - not many things in life are more comical than an upset Matt Dunning. Matty wants a donut? Here ya go, fatty.
Old 22nd July 2007, 00:21     #27
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

He's just embarrassing to watch, especially when he comes up from yet ANOTHER collapsed scrum all red-faced and indignant. "What ref, what?!" Then you watch the replay and he's gone straight to ground on his elbows.
Old 22nd July 2007, 00:23     #28
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Hands up who popped open a beer and proclaimed "that's it, we've won" when Carl Hayman came into camera shot with a face full of hair?

Old 22nd July 2007, 00:32     #29
BaM
Freeloader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
He's just embarrassing to watch, especially when he comes up from yet ANOTHER collapsed scrum all red-faced and indignant.
He looked more grey in the face after each scrum, like the exertion was about to make him pass out. I recommend fewer pies.
Old 22nd July 2007, 02:32     #30
wugambino
Electric Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
He's just embarrassing to watch, especially when he comes up from yet ANOTHER collapsed scrum all red-faced and indignant. "What ref, what?!" Then you watch the replay and he's gone straight to ground on his elbows.
id say , tubby carrnt

lennord and mealamu made a huge difference when they came on ... id like to see Evans get more game time to.
Old 22nd July 2007, 03:15     #31
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Thumbs up

Old 22nd July 2007, 07:14     #32
Erazhure

FUCK YEEEEEEEEEEEEAHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 22nd July 2007, 07:14     #33
Erazhure

FUCK YEEEEEEEEEEEEAHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/edit: hey how did... ahh well. FUCK YEAH!!!!!
Old 22nd July 2007, 10:26     #34
QWERTY?

was a hardout game, i think it will be hard to pick which 2 are the top wingers now, because howlett is putting serious pressure on rocco, also I dont rate robinson too much, he doesnt seem to have any break\momentum, when williams gets back we will totally dominate
Old 22nd July 2007, 10:28     #35
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Full credit to the taff.

(won't stop me winding up our resident boyo at work tomorrow though )
Old 22nd July 2007, 11:09     #36
markE

Was a good win and probably the type of win that will win the world cup. Only 7 weeks to go
Old 22nd July 2007, 11:39     #37
blynk

Yeah, I was really impressed with the ref as well. As well as the touchies who picked up a couple of the kicking the ball out when he carried it into the 22.

Its funny how in a game where it was pissing down with rain and at one point there was a smalling pool in the middle of the field, that we end up with a lower handling error than on other dry days.

I also agree with post saying that Oz never looked like scoring. I think that is what has come out of the Tri Nations - the fact that no one really looked like scoring against us, where we consistently looked like we could score.
Old 22nd July 2007, 12:02     #38
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffiend
Gear should be in instead of Howlett.
Howlett justified his inclusion in the side with that performance. No way would Gear have taken those high balls under pressure.
Old 22nd July 2007, 12:16     #39
tarzan007

omg got so wet last night! my clothes are still damp after being in the hot water cupboard all night!

great game too, wooo
Old 22nd July 2007, 12:16     #40
Chrono
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Fuck it was pissing down at the beginning (was at the game in the Terraces :D:D ).

I've lost my voice but shit we got wasted and had a merry time, random people giving me free beer woot.