NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > The year of rugby
User Name
Password

Old 1st July 2007, 18:26     #41
Sgt Seb
Up Unt At Dem!

I like to compare this result to the aussie cricket team getting smashed before the orld cup by noobzealand blackcaps and then winning the world cup. I reckon the All Blacks will do the same. I AM CONFIDENT
Old 1st July 2007, 19:18     #42
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I just can't believe Henry and co left the best 1st five of the year sitting on the bench, the second-best 1st five of the year playing at centre, and a clearly dodgy Carter out on the field for the whole game.
Old 1st July 2007, 19:39     #43
ipee

I'm not too concerned about the loss. Can't win em all.
Old 1st July 2007, 20:33     #44
Ard Righ

I think what the All Blacks should concentrate on for the next game, is SLOWING DOWN their ruck ball to get set for the next phase.

Someone commented that the All Blacks were at times almost getting the ball too fast, and having half of the pack of Australians lazy running through their backline, killing the attacking opportunities.
They also lack a plan on how to deal with the ball they were getting, the halves both looking like headless chooks going the wrong way too many times.

So, for the next game:

1) Hold onto the ball
2) Slow down and get set for the ruck ball
3) Bench Carter, give Evans game time, McAllister at 12, and Mils at Centre

Just a thought.
Old 1st July 2007, 21:25     #45
Sp0nge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp0nge after the SA game
...now its time to reteach your puppets how to catch the ball.
QFT
Old 1st July 2007, 22:58     #46
JERI

About time All Blacks have a loss before the world cup I reckon.
Old 1st July 2007, 22:59     #47
Stilgar
Rough Joker

Two games of drop ball. You'd think somone has rubbed butter on their fingers before the match. Yawn - guys, you're supposed to be professional. Please remember to catch the ball more often.
Old 2nd July 2007, 00:38     #48
caffiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ard Righ
So, for the next game:

1) Hold onto the ball
2) Slow down and get set for the ruck ball

Just a thought.
So who at fullback, given MacDonald is out for the tri-nations?
Old 2nd July 2007, 03:08     #49
scr
SO'S YOUR FACE!

so, has new zealand's economy collapsed yet?
Old 2nd July 2007, 04:48     #50
vorlon

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffiend
You've got Siv or Howlet - I think Howlet has done it at test level before..
Old 2nd July 2007, 15:12     #51
a-tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ard Righ

Just a thought.
Agree except, keep Mils at Fullback, and get conrad in center ASAP!!!
Old 2nd July 2007, 15:58     #52
pig

Shit with all the drama at centre since Tana finished i've been wondering how well Rico Gear would go there.
Old 2nd July 2007, 16:07     #53
Fluffer

Quote:
Whatever backline the All Blacks run out with tonight is the best backline in world rugby, so I'm not too concerned.
Aussie backs = better, Mortlock up there with O'Driscall and Tana for breaking through the defence patterns. Inexperience vs experience showed big stylee.
Old 2nd July 2007, 16:53     #54
caffiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffer
Aussie backs = better,
No way. We just had an off night and the best line-up wasn't on the field. Aussie's backline isn't better overall.
Quote:
Mortlock up there with O'Driscall and Tana for breaking through the defence patterns.
On this we are agreed.
Quote:
Inexperience vs experience showed big stylee.
Doubtful. Combined number of caps for each team wouldn't be too far off.
Old 2nd July 2007, 17:21     #55
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Oh the benefit of hindsight. An out-of-form Carter next to an out-of-form Mauger next to an out-of-position McAlister just didn't work. The old problem is back to haunt us - no depth in the centre.
Old 2nd July 2007, 22:03     #56
Ard Righ

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffiend
There is no doubt, regardless of other injuries, unless Smith pulls a miracle rabbit (doubtful), Mils is our only option for centre until people heal up.

Depending on whether they keep playing Carter, who needs game time before the WRC, we do have some options for fullback.

If they put Evans on the bench, he can cover 10/15, if they put Sivivatu or Howlett on the bench, they can cover wing/fullback spot also.

Either way, Smith should be ready for the WRC, just depends whether he plays the last Tri-nations game to get some playtime before then.
Old 2nd July 2007, 22:16     #57
vorlon

In all these discussions about Centre - I see that we are only mentioning Smith & Mils.

What about Toeava? ( just to be clear, I'm only talking for the rest of the Tri Nations. )

If he wasn't injured last week, I reckon he would've been at center to start against the Aussies...
Old 2nd July 2007, 22:51     #58
buckies

Toeva is the best centre in the country. I hope Henry has the sense to start him against the boks and aus.

A lot of people are suggesting Conrad. I am skeptical. Toeva is more important,as he should be our starting world cup centre, and Muliana can always back up. Maybe use Conrad off the bench in each game (especially if we are comfortably ahead), but in terms of World Cup success I think Toeva needs the game time against high quality opposition more. Mortlock is the best centre in the world at mo, and Toeva needs to measure himself against him prior to the world cup semi.
Old 3rd July 2007, 03:17     #59
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Defense wins games. Which centre candidate is LEAST likely to fail when Mortlock runs straight past Aaron Mauger?
Old 3rd July 2007, 10:03     #60
caffiend

You think Jerry should play at centre??
Old 3rd July 2007, 10:10     #61
Ard Righ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Defense wins games. Which centre candidate is LEAST likely to fail when Mortlock runs straight past Aaron Mauger?
Mils is the closest in size to Mortlock I believe.

Toeva might be OK, I think he's still fragile on defense, like the rest of the centres we've had so far. His attacking flair is in no doubt, but shoulder injury doesn't help.

I am not sure if Toeva will be ready for the next game ? I didn't check how bad his injury was tbh.
Old 3rd July 2007, 10:43     #62
slippers

I reckon we should re-call Frank Bunce to centre.

He'll do it!
Old 3rd July 2007, 10:47     #63
ZoSo

I keep hearing fools say "better we lose now, than.." errr no, it's not. We should have owned the Aussies. End of story.
Old 3rd July 2007, 10:49     #64
pk_wasp

This isn't looking promising, centre crisis seems to hit us in most recent WCs e.g.

1999 - we played Cullen coz couldn't find a decent centre.
2003 - we played McDonald coz Umaga got injured.
2007 - who is our centre?
Old 3rd July 2007, 10:52     #65
a-tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk_wasp
This isn't looking promising, centre crisis seems to hit us in most recent WCs e.g.

1999 - we played Cullen coz couldn't find a decent centre.
yeah shit, was that an abortion or what.
Old 3rd July 2007, 11:31     #66
badassmofo

Luke isn't a centre, easy as that.
Old 3rd July 2007, 19:07     #67
buckies

Whoever the centre is going to be during the world cup is going to get a lot of game time during the next two tri nations games.

Henry's hand will reveal itself once we see the lineups.

I'm hoping like heck it's Toeva (i'm pretty sure his bruised shoulder will be fine for the remaining two games). Mils still misses tackles at fullback (he did so on Saturday) and IMO he is too small to be centre. He is arguably the best fullback in the world and I think it's best we keep him there.

Last edited by buckies : 3rd July 2007 at 19:09.
Old 3rd July 2007, 19:46     #68
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I downloaded and watched the 1996 Bledisloe match at Athletic Park the other night to cheer myself up after the ABs loss. Jesus fucking christ, what a match.

How's this for a team:

Christian Cullen; Jeff Wilson, Frank Bunce, Walter Little, Jonah Lomu; Andrew Mehrtens, Justin Marshall; Olo Brown, Sean Fitzpatrick (capt), Craig Dowd, Robin Brooke, Ian Jones, Michael Jones, Zinzan Brooke, Josh Kronfeld
Old 3rd July 2007, 19:59     #69
Kryten

I still have my ticket from that game. Not a bad way to break your test match cherry
Old 3rd July 2007, 23:17     #70
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

One of the greatest matches I've ever seen, you lucky bastard -- although I'm sure you froze your tits off
Old 4th July 2007, 17:20     #71
pk_wasp

Its amazing watching "old" footage (1996 etc) how skinny the players were and the amount of space they could run into.
Old 4th July 2007, 19:47     #72
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I downloaded highlights of the 1971 Lions tour the other day, and I could hardly believe any of the players on screen were serious sportsmen. They looked...puny.
Old 4th July 2007, 20:00     #73
Kryten

And the ball looks to be about 3 times the size it is now. Or maybe that was just my impression, playing with one of those old school Adidas balls (brown leather, black ends) that soaked up the water more effectively than any sponge and weighed a ton.

Am I right in thinking that it was around 96-97 that the IRB instituted a huge raft of rule changes, basically nullifying the way the AB's were playing through that period?

Also, bulking up was the *worst* thing that happened to Christian Cullen.
Old 4th July 2007, 23:52     #74
pk_wasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryten
And the ball looks to be about 3 times the size it is now. Or maybe that was just my impression, playing with one of those old school Adidas balls (brown leather, black ends) that soaked up the water more effectively than any sponge and weighed a ton.
Noticed that too lol, and they way they pass is different too, none of this spiral, bullet type passes.

Wonder what Rugby will be like in 100 years..

Anyway, go the ABs for the next game (don't peak too early, let everyone write you off for the WC).
Old 12th July 2007, 09:10     #75
Scandalous

Quote:
Originally Posted by badassmofo
Luke isn't a centre, easy as that.
Old 12th July 2007, 10:21     #76
a-tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
One of the greatest matches I've ever seen, you lucky bastard -- although I'm sure you froze your tits off
Was up the millard stand at that game.

I remember it so well cause we got dressed in hardcore mountain climbing gear just so we didnt die of exposure.

Was an awesome game and amazing experience just because everyone up there was braving the elements and seeing such a wicked display on the field.
Old 12th July 2007, 15:26     #77
Phrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryten
Also, bulking up was the *worst* thing that happened to Christian Cullen.
His hamstring injury was, to me, almost his career ending injury. Once he lost that explosive take off he was never the same :(