NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > The year of rugby
User Name
Password

Old 28th February 2007, 12:47     #1
caffiend

England: serious contenders or serious shambles?

With England getting thumped by Ireland last weekend, should the defending champs be written off as RWC07 'no hopers'?

What's interesting is that they actually had a good game against Scotland (who were considered an outside chance for 6N glory after last year's much improved season), and then bet Italy, who subsequently spanked Scotland - at home, no less.

So was the Ireland game an aberration, or are they actually pretty crap? Are they too inconsistent to be a concern, or will that actually make it hard to play them? Was it just that Ireland have finally gelled and had an outstanding game that even the ABs would've had trouble with?

This is quite an interesting read: http://www.rugbyheaven.smh.com.au/ne...338600429.html
Quote:
(England's loss to Ireland) also lumbered Ashton a bizarre double.

He coached England to their worst defeat against Ireland having been in charge of the Irish for their worst loss against England, 10 years ago.
Ouch.
Old 28th February 2007, 13:09     #2
vorlon

I only watched the 2nd half of that game & I thought that England haven't got the players nor the attitude to pull it off.

However the Irish team are serious contenders. The way they play the game, as a team, was brilliant to watch.

If they played like that against the AB's, I believe we are in trouble.
Old 28th February 2007, 13:18     #3
Ezekiel 25:17

The thing is though - I don't think they could play like that against the AB's. We wouldn't let them.

I know I sound all full of it but I go back a little bit to explain it. I remember after the Lions tour when the Lions players were all sulky and saying stuff like "The All Blacks are not that amazing" (Based on what? Us thrashing you?) and then saying "Lets see how they go against the home nations when we are at full strength!!"

So we go to tour up there and all the talk is 'ooOOoo Wales are looking like a mean running team. They are going to give the ABs a hard time.' I forget the exact score but I think it was 43-3 or something wasn't it? What I do remember is that they got _one_ line break in the entire game and that only made it about 15 metres.

When we play Northern Hemisphere teams we make them look ordinary. When they play eachother they look fantastic.

Ireland are not bad though. France will be strong as well (especially at home). England are not like they were last world cup.
Old 28th February 2007, 20:52     #4
farns

England suck, they are stupid fat rudderless gymnuts with all the money and players and none of the talent, their time was fleeting, they werent that dominant anyway and only snuck the WC final in extra-time and they are now back into their usual mediocrity.
Clive Woodward's team was a one-off, England have always been pretty shit and I think you will find that pre-1990s Wales and France have better 6-nations pedigrees
Poms are just pasty and unco - its their lot in life.

Up the Oirish!!
Old 1st March 2007, 00:43     #5
slippers

England dont have a shit show....The highlanders could beat them.
Old 6th March 2007, 22:06     #6
caffiend

None of these look likely to affect the RWC, but still could be interesting: http://sport.guardian.co.uk/rugbyuni...026615,00.html

I bet there are a few furrowed brows in England management right now. Everybody seemed to think that Wilkinson was back to match fitness, but he sounds as fragile as ever.
Old 6th March 2007, 22:58     #7
farns

Yer I love the Pommy Media

"rah-rah Johnnehs back! Rule Britannia! Dont drop the soap in the tubs after the game good-oh jolly hockeysticks and stick it to the south-seas darkie-poachers!"
Old 6th March 2007, 23:06     #8
farns

Vickery is a major loss because he is a world-class prop, he was thought by many to be the best TH in the world then he got injured and Hayman came into form. He is out and away their best prop.

Farrell is too slow by all accounts, and their other centre Tindall is just a Bosh merchant with no skills and vision so their next best best looks like Tait who is this tiny little 7s player who will get trampled lol
Old 12th March 2007, 10:35     #9
caffiend

England thump France without Jonny and after recalling Mike "I was there in 1999" Catt: http://www.stuff.co.nz/3990062a1823.html
Old 12th March 2007, 17:20     #10
slippers

Catt was there in 94 and for the 95 world cup.

Dont you remember this?
Old 12th March 2007, 17:53     #11
caffiend

^^^ Yeah, good call. For some reason I had confused the names in my head and thought that the guy who got stomped by Jonah was called Mike Gatting.

Which would be pretty funny if it had been