NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > The year of rugby
User Name
Password

Old 18th May 2007, 13:46     #1
Koldzy

2007 All Blacks squad

Forwards: Jerry Collins (Wellington), Troy Flavell (Blues), Carl Hayman (Otago), Andrew Hore (Taranaki), Chris Jack (Tasman), Richie McCaw (Canterbury), Chris Masoe (Wellington), Keven Mealamu (Auckland), Anton Oliver (Otago), Keith Robinson (Chiefs), John Schwalger (Hurricanes), Rodney So'oialo (Wellington), Neemia Tialata (Hurricanes), Reuben Thorne (Canterbury), Ali Williams (Auckland), Tony Woodcock (North Harbour).

Backs: Dan Carter (Canterbury), Nick Evans (Highlanders), Doug Howlett (Blues), Byron Kelleher (Waikato), Brendon Leonard (Chiefs), Leon MacDonald (Canterbury), Aaron Mauger (Canterbury), Luke McAlister (Blues), Malili Muliaina (Waikato), Josevata Rokocoko (Auckland), Conrad Smith (Huricanes), Sitiveni Sivivatu (Waikato), Isaia Toeava (Blues), Piri Weepu (Wellington).

Junior All Blacks squad: John Afoa (Auckland), Stephen Brett (Canterbury), Daniel Braid (Auckland - co-captain), Jimmy Cowan (Southland), Wyatt Crockett (Canterbury), Clarke Dermody (Southland), Stephen Donald (Waikato), Andrew Ellis (Canterbury), Ross Filipo (Wellington), Corey Flynn (Canterbury), Rico Gear (Tasman), Scott Hamilton (Canterbury), Marty Holah (Waikato - co-captain), Cory Jane (Wellington), Campbell Johnstone (Canterbury), Jerome Kaino (Auckland), Casey Laulala (Canterbury), Hoani MacDonald (Southland), Ma'a Nonu (Wellington), Greg Rawlinson (North Harbour), Kieran Read (Canterbury), Mose Tuiali'i (Canterbury), Anthony Tuitavake (North Harbour), Sam Tuitupou (Auckland), Derren Witcombe (Auckland), Rudi Wulf (North Harbour).

John Schwalger a definate surprise for mine, thought Leonard might have a chance but the way Cowan had been playing I thought he'd miss out this year.

I think Rico Gear is very unlucky to miss out. And Andrew Hore is lucky to make the squad, would have rather they chose Willis or Flynn.

Very strong JAB's squad, gonna be some big blowouts in the Pacific Nations Cup i'd say, still will make good prep for the islands and japan for their world cup bids.
Old 18th May 2007, 13:57     #2
slippers

Leonard HAD to be picked. He is the form NZ halfback.

Well done.
Old 18th May 2007, 14:14     #3
caffiend

I have no complain of product
Old 18th May 2007, 16:11     #4
Simon
SHG

Fuck "Junior All Blacks" sounds gay. What happened to "New Zealand A"?

HOLD ON, WHAT THE FUCK? Mose Tuiali'i didn't make the AB squad? He's on FIRE this year!
Old 18th May 2007, 16:14     #5
untouchable

Conrad Smith is so fucking overrated. When will people learn !.
Old 18th May 2007, 16:26     #6
Simon
SHG

Yeah, but with Kahui injured, who would you pick instead?
Old 18th May 2007, 16:28     #7
untouchable

Nonu.
Old 18th May 2007, 17:11     #8
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable
Nonu.
BAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA! Nice one pal, joke of the day

They actually didn't NEED to pick another Centre. Muliaina can cover Centre no problems.

Koldzy: You're surprised Gear was left out?? What the fuck? Why exactly? Sivivatu had an awesome season after reconditioning and showed he is more than capable of playing fullback AND wing. Howlett got a bucketload of tries, showed great speed, offload skills and did some of the hardest tackles I saw in the competition. Joe was always going to get picked regardless of his lack of performances purely because had neither Rico or him played any games this year and the selectors had to make a choice they'd pick Joe over Rico. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Joe is still the selectors FIRST pick winger.
Old 18th May 2007, 17:50     #9
Koldzy

SD: Where did I say I was surprised? I said he was unlucky to miss out...

Simon: I think Mose missed out because when he played against the Canes and Chiefs he was outplayed by So'oialo and Lauaki. Completely agree on the Junior ABs name, they aren't AB's so shouldn't be called that. NZA sounds better.

Conrad Smith is not overated, he's never played bad in an AB jersey and I believe his combination with MacAlister is our strongest centre pairing.
Nonu however is gifted physically, yet pretty much braindead. Should play league.
Old 18th May 2007, 18:46     #10
untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr selfdestruct
They actually didn't NEED to pick another Centre. Muliaina can cover Centre no problems.

Thats the main reason I would have picked Nonu. He can play 3 positions, but his main strength would be as an impact player. We have enough solid players, Smith doesnt bring anything over and above them hes in a similar mould, where as Nonu potentially does in an impact role..
Old 18th May 2007, 18:57     #11
Simon
SHG

Nonu can perform multiple roles -- letting in tries because his defense sucks, and letting in tries because he's been sinbinned for shoulder charges and high tackles.
Old 19th May 2007, 01:23     #12
vorlon

My impressions of the squad:

I knew that Nonu wasn't going to be picked. The matches I've watched him played - have been terrible. Hell I'm still surprised he got into the 'Junior AB's' - that name is gay btw.

Conrad Smith was soooo luck to get in this year.

Mose Tuiali'i missing out is a big one. He was been the in-form no# 8 this entire Super season & I believe he should be in. I've never really rated as a no# 8, but this season has been the best yet.

As for Lauaki - I thought he wasn't picked cause he's injured (??) correct me if I'm wrong on that one.

I didn't think that Piri would get in - to me he's never managed to reach the level of intensity, that he showed us when he got picked for the first time.

To quote Koldzy 'Andrew Hore is lucky to make the squad, would have rather they chose Willis or Flynn.' - I completely agree
Old 19th May 2007, 01:35     #13
badassmofo

I think Piri was too good to leave out after he showed his skills at flyhalf this year. Mind you, I don't think playing him there was a good choice, but he still did pretty well.

Conrad is very lucky, but he seems to shine in the ABs environment, especially with guys like Mcallistar and Mauger inside him.

Nonu was a good decision to leave behind. I've never rated him, all the potential in the world and has never really delivered. Seeing him get sin binned for swearing at the touch judge earlier this season was the straw the broke the camels back for me.

I have to go to the airport now, but I'll continue this later
Old 19th May 2007, 01:38     #14
badassmofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon
Nonu can perform multiple roles -- letting in tries because his defense sucks, and letting in tries because he's been sinbinned for shoulder charges and high tackles.
You forgot making 30 meter runs, breaking 2 tackles, then knocking the ball on/turning it over in the ruck
Old 19th May 2007, 03:25     #15
Simon
SHG

Nonu runs with the ball as if it was a grenade that could only be defused in the in-goal area. The moment realisation dawns upon him that he isn't personally going to cross the line, he just throws the ball away in a random direction.
Old 19th May 2007, 11:24     #16
farns

Nonu is too dense to be an all black centre, which is a pity as he wouldnt have to be the next Umaga to get picked, just merely retain possession some of the time
Flavell to me still has traces of a flat-track bully and in a crunch game against tight forwards like the Japies he isnt the big man, he can probably play better though than he did in the last few games
I dont like him as a blindside flanker reserve though, hes a big unit and I dont think hes mobile enough to do a JC type role for 60 mins but better than Thorne on current form.
Thorne actually played ok for the ABs last year though but I hope Lauaki gets over his injury and into the 22 as we are lacking a bit of explosive power up front IMO.
Old 19th May 2007, 22:34     #17
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

LOL Simon those Nonu comments are GOLD and I couldn't agree more, I thought a couple of years ago that he was a chap that was going to do big things.... 2 years later and he's still doing exactly the same things he was back then and hasn't improved at all on his ball handling/offloading/general passing/tackling.... its a big list

I'm sure in all my heart that Lauaki will make the World Cup squad when he's fit. There was an article on stuff today saying Graham Henry personally suggested to Lauaki to get his knee surgery done NOW rather than later so he can be fully fit for WC selection, that has to be a strong hint.

I'm going to have a super big woody when Brendon Leonard runs onto the field in an All Black jersey...... stoked as for him, natural athlete, might even be the next Christian Cullen. 5 Waikato players, reprazent!!!
Old 22nd May 2007, 16:51     #18
slippers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon
Yeah, but with Kahui injured, who would you pick instead?
I don't think Kahui being injured would make any difference..... He hasn't proved anything.

He had an excellent Air NZ Cup but he missed his chance to impress by being injured during the Super14. I don't think he was ever in contention.

I'd have actually tried Rico at 13 a while ago.... he -could- be good in this role. Probably too late now.

Yes Mils -can- play 13, but he is a better 15 and who would play 15? McDonald? pfff When was the last time he played good?
Sivivatu did well at 15 for the Cheifs but he is hardly ready to be put into the fullback role for the ALL BLACKS.

We can't afford to have ad-hoc positional changes and we shouldnt need to either.