NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > The year of rugby
User Name
Password

Old 13th March 2007, 14:15     #1
slippers

Who remembers this?

What was so significant about that kick?

Old 13th March 2007, 14:23     #2
farns

Wasnt that Zinzan Brooke's dropgoal in the 2nd test vs Boks 1996?
ie the Test that gave the first NZ series win in SA?

Last edited by farns : 13th March 2007 at 14:24.
Old 13th March 2007, 14:50     #3
caffiend

Duh. Forget I said anything.
Old 13th March 2007, 15:07     #4
blynk

I know, it shows what a dumbass Marshall was for passing the ball to the wrong player (and that Zinnie really shouldn't have been standing in the backline and was lucky).
Old 13th March 2007, 15:09     #5
caffiend

Looks like a pre-planned move to me. They're all standing back very deep, yet Marshall's pass is quickly deep to Zinzan, like he picked him out, and then no hesitation from Zinny to do the drop-goal. I'm calling 'set move'.
Old 13th March 2007, 21:00     #6
Ezekiel 25:17

Yeah i'd say that they just knew he had a bigger boot than anyone else so gave him a shot
Old 13th March 2007, 21:07     #7
caffiend

I have to say, it might be a poor quality, small gif... but that doesn't actually look like a drop goal, more like a punt. Does it touch the ground?
Old 15th March 2007, 14:54     #8
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffiend
Marshall ...... pass ....... quickly
there's 3 words that dont belong together in a sentence without "never", "not", or "no way" in there as well

Old 15th March 2007, 14:58     #9
blynk

I don't know, I think it was a set move, yes, but Zinnie wasn't meant to be standing there. Why would you do that when Merhtens (or whoever) was probably standing right next to him. If it was a set move, it was risky.
Old 15th March 2007, 15:49     #10
slippers

Quote:
Originally Posted by farns
Wasnt that Zinzan Brooke's dropgoal in the 2nd test vs Boks 1996?
ie the Test that gave the first NZ series win in SA?
Yeh bang on....

I think it gave us our first series win in SA too.
Old 15th March 2007, 16:10     #11
caffiend

So maybe a drop goal was the intended idea, but Marshall passed to Zinny accidentally?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rince
there's 3 words that dont belong together in a sentence without "never", "not", or "no way" in there as well
Heh - fair call. He certainly wasn't a Gregan or Kelleher on that front.
Old 15th March 2007, 16:40     #12
caffiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by slippers
Yeh bang on....

I think it gave us our first series win in SA too.
But that game was won by more than 3 points: http://stats.allblacks.com/teamsheet.asp?MT_ID=2015

So it was hardly "sealing the win", was it?
Old 15th March 2007, 16:41     #13
badassmofo

We can't find anything to slag the All Blacks off about now so we're going back to one of their greatest triumphs to pick away at? Jeeze guys.
Old 15th March 2007, 16:46     #14
caffiend

Mmm... which cliche are you going to pull out next. Accuse us (me?) of being a sufferer of 'tall poppy syndrome'?
Old 15th March 2007, 17:57     #15
badassmofo

more like 'douchebag syndrome' And not you personally.
Old 15th March 2007, 19:29     #16
farns

I think Marshall doesnt enough credit in this country, he was real strong at defending and had a pretty good eye for a gap too, dont see what the fuss was about his pass, ok so it was slower than Graham Bachop but he was a better player in lots of other ways IMO and he was a big game player.

Dam I forgot Culhane played 10 for that epic test! He must be one of the most unsung heroes ever, no great running game but the best goalkicker in NZ and a solid gutsy player who did us proud that day *sniff*
Old 15th March 2007, 20:38     #17
caffiend

Yep - Marshall was a good overall #9, but his passing was often slow and less than precise. Was always most noticeable when he played in games against Gregan in the same position (who I grudgingly believe is one of the best passers around - almost always flat, fast and accurate).

But Marshall could be a great runner and defender, as you mention, so no complain really from me.

badassmofo: It's a bit ridiculous how you've misconstrued a few critical yet fully justified comments and turned it into us whingeing for the sake of whingeing. It seems you can't make one negative comment about anything these days with people getting all "man, what a moaning bastard". Just relax, eh? I'm sure we all have the same respect for the ABs around here.
Old 15th March 2007, 20:57     #18
Simon
SHG

Marshall was basically two different players. Before he snapped his Achilles (oh god I cringe just remembering it) he was really quick off the back of the ruck, was a speedy passer and runner, couldn't kick over the top for shit, and didn't really seem to use his brain a lot. After he came back he was slower, more methodical, looked for the gap a bit more, had developed a VERY useful box kick, and had started maturing into more of an on-field leader.
Old 17th March 2007, 12:22     #19
slippers

I think Marshall would still nail first choice #9 in the AB's if he was still here.

He was actually going to come back and play for this Blues this season, but the NZRU didn't "invite him" back so he had a cry and stayed in Wales or wherever he is.

We have plenty of good 9's coming through at the moment.
Old 17th March 2007, 12:24     #20
slippers

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffiend
But that game was won by more than 3 points: http://stats.allblacks.com/teamsheet.asp?MT_ID=2015

So it was hardly "sealing the win", was it?
Nah well.... I cant remember back then............