Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 23rd November 2022, 14:19     #43521
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by _indigo1
Yeah, it's great lore.
It's also awesome that Alan Wake and Quantum Break are in the same universe.
It'd make a great movie/mini-series.

I thought it was awesome how right at the start it's clear your journey is at an end, you've finally found the secret organisation you've been searching for. And you're immediately put in charge.
Old 23rd November 2022, 16:25     #43522
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Round one, fight

Quote:

The public defenders for the suspect in the mass shooting at a Colorado Springs LGBTQ nightclub said in a Tuesday night court filing obtained by a New York Times reporter that their client is non-binary and uses they/them pronouns.
Old 23rd November 2022, 17:31     #43523
_indigo1

I know there is a whole subforum for it, but why do we need to hide gaming stuff in a random thoughts thread.
Don't we deserve a "what are you playing right now" mega thread?
Old 23rd November 2022, 17:44     #43524
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
BRING BACK FREELANCER!
*Gently weeps*
Old 23rd November 2022, 18:02     #43525
Cyberbob

85% off Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order

80% off Witcher 3 GOTY Edition

83% off Far Cry 5

All three excellent games on special at the moment.
Old 23rd November 2022, 19:26     #43526
_indigo1

Shower thought: Would racism exist if we were covered in fur?
(no furry jokes)

Last edited by _indigo1 : 23rd November 2022 at 19:29.
Old 23rd November 2022, 20:52     #43527
Caesar

Quote:
Shower thought: Would racism exist if we were covered in fur?
(no furry jokes)
I use to wonder, what if science came up with a way to turn ALL humans skin to be the same colour... like purple or something. And wondered if that would get rid of racism.
Old 23rd November 2022, 21:35     #43528
Redneck

Old 23rd November 2022, 23:13     #43529
_indigo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar
I use to wonder, what if science came up with a way to turn ALL humans skin to be the same colour... like purple or something. And wondered if that would get rid of racism.
That wouldn't work though cause you can tell by the facial features.
But fur covers it all up. All you see is fuzz.
Old 24th November 2022, 19:08     #43530
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Lightbulb

Cross post from PC gone mad, but trying not to shit up threads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
Using the video game argument of the 90's eh. Nice.

Let's ban it all, that'll stop the bad things from happening
On the topic of video games influencing people:

PROOF “Call Of Duty” Is A US Military PSYOP

Pot head in a garage discusses this news story suggesting that CoD has full on US war machine involvement to soften up the young people to patriotically accept their foreign policy objectives.

TLDR: Video games don't make young people go on murderous rampages - they make young people support the government going on murderous rampages in order to spread democracy and bring back oil.
Old 24th November 2022, 19:28     #43531
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

A tale as old as America’s Army
Old 27th November 2022, 17:29     #43532
Lightspeed

facepalm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
Well, I was gonna play this today, but I gotta wait until some can fix the broken login that is necessary to play the game.

They must have two systems not talking to each other, because I can log into Ubisoft via browser, but it won't accept the same credentials via the game launcher.
Old 27th November 2022, 18:44     #43533
MadMax
Stuff

Is this recycling?
Charge $10 to $40 per printer drop off then stick em on trademe at $1 for a whole pallet worth.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketpl...l&bof=d9g00kPM

Ditto for TVs:
https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketpl...1?bof=d9g00kPM
Old 27th November 2022, 20:52     #43534
Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Well, I was gonna play this today, but I gotta wait until some can fix the broken login that is necessary to play the game.

They must have two systems not talking to each other, because I can log into Ubisoft via browser, but it won't accept the same credentials via the game launcher.
If you brought it from Steam, make sure Uplay is running in the background when you try and lunch it.
Old 28th November 2022, 07:45     #43535
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
Is this recycling?
Charge $10 to $40 per printer drop off then stick em on trademe at $1 for a whole pallet worth.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketpl...l&bof=d9g00kPM

Ditto for TVs:
https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketpl...1?bof=d9g00kPM
Hmm. It would be a very interesting thing to follow up on. So is this there way around it "not being sent to the landfill"
Old 28th November 2022, 13:04     #43536
Lightspeed

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar
If you brought it from Steam, make sure Uplay is running in the background when you try and lunch it.
That sorted it, unlike the reply I got from Ubisoft support.
Old 29th November 2022, 21:43     #43537
Lightspeed

Quote:
BRING BACK FREELANCER!
Just talking about this game with a friend. We didn't know how good we had it. It was such a good balance of cool space sim shooter, with high playability (as opposed to borderline qualifying as a genuine fighter pilot to be able to play).

What has even come close since?

Elite Dangerous is legit, but it's a bit more hardcore.
Old 30th November 2022, 11:45     #43538
_indigo1

Every other space game has one dimension Freelancer had, but is missing others.

Everspace had great controls - not too heavily sim - just fun in the spirit of Freelancer.

But no trade routes, free roam, etc. obviously.
(Haven't played Everspace II yet - looking forward to at some point when I am well enough)
Old 30th November 2022, 12:57     #43539
Cyberbob

I loved the shit out of the more story driven Descent FreeSpace 2, or the social aspects of Westwood's short lived MMO Earth & Beyond.

Some people still swear by Eve Online, even if it's more of a spreadsheet simulator.

Star Wars Squadrons is fun, especially in VR, and it's free on the Epic Games Store until 2nd Dec.
Old 30th November 2022, 13:39     #43540
Lightspeed

I remember tripping out over Descent Freespace 2. Flying alongside capital ships was so cool. The engine seems so clean at the time.

Probably had a 21" Sony Trinitron at the stage. I miss that screen.
Old 30th November 2022, 16:32     #43541
Caesar

Oh man, Descent: FreeSpace – The Great War. Encountering the capital ships in that game was jaw dropping back in the day. So awesome. It definitely needs a remake now.
Old 30th November 2022, 18:12     #43542
_indigo1

There is still a massive following and fan community around FS2 Open - with lots of content, new campaigns, etc.
Old 1st December 2022, 08:14     #43543
StN
I have detailed files

RIP

Christie.

Last edited by StN : 1st December 2022 at 08:15.
Old 1st December 2022, 10:49     #43544
Lightspeed

facepalm

Jacinda Ardern and Sanna Marin dismiss claim they met due to 'similar age'

NZ journalists, SMH.
Old 1st December 2022, 12:36     #43545
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Old 1st December 2022, 19:41     #43546
ceer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Man, played the sh*t out of Rumours in my younger days. RIP
Old 2nd December 2022, 09:45     #43547
MadMax
Stuff

Cunning

I can’t help but wonder how offended some people might get when computer games always require a couple of opposing genders to produce offspring.
Old 2nd December 2022, 10:15     #43548
Lightspeed

Just show 'em Rimworld or Stellaris, they'll be so aghast they'll forget everything else.
Old 7th December 2022, 13:50     #43549
Cyberbob

Bring back Planet Friday
Old 7th December 2022, 19:29     #43550
MadMax
Stuff

I don't know why, but I always thought touché meant the same as likewise or same goes
Old 8th December 2022, 06:40     #43551
wazza
*flex*

haha, same
Old 8th December 2022, 07:57     #43552
MadMax
Stuff

This crazy dream I had last night is playing on my mind

I’m in some alternate reality back in time as a kid in high school where there’s a war ravaging on in the background. There’s this huge land based battle ship visible in the haze on the horizon outside the city as a constant reminder of the war but also a necessary source of security.

Being pre-internet they have an alternative form of communication that utilises weighty baseball sized balls that are dropped into chutes. Similar to the old pneumatic tubes of old but these started with a wireframe tray like you find in the depths of billiard tables which would lead into the more familiar piped pneumatic system. Everyone hated it as it was used to deliver lesson material but worse it was also a source of war news.

I spawned the idea of dropping all that clunky crap and got people talking about replacing that with something akin to the internet. A protest campaign started to instigate this gets called “drop the balls”. The silly humour of that woke me up. Everyone is chanting drop the balls.

Now that I’ve shared that will it stop playing on my mind?

Last edited by MadMax : 8th December 2022 at 08:00.
Old 12th December 2022, 15:18     #43553
MadMax
Stuff

Transport Tycoon music = instrumental at the end of Toto - Rosanna.
Old 12th December 2022, 17:01     #43554
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
This crazy dream I had last night is playing on my mind

I’m in some alternate reality back in time as a kid in high school where there’s a war ravaging on in the background. There’s this huge land based battle ship visible in the haze on the horizon outside the city as a constant reminder of the war but also a necessary source of security.

Being pre-internet they have an alternative form of communication that utilises weighty baseball sized balls that are dropped into chutes. Similar to the old pneumatic tubes of old but these started with a wireframe tray like you find in the depths of billiard tables which would lead into the more familiar piped pneumatic system. Everyone hated it as it was used to deliver lesson material but worse it was also a source of war news.

I spawned the idea of dropping all that clunky crap and got people talking about replacing that with something akin to the internet. A protest campaign started to instigate this gets called “drop the balls”. The silly humour of that woke me up. Everyone is chanting drop the balls.

Now that I’ve shared that will it stop playing on my mind?
Now it's in my mind! What images! Sounds like something out of Love Death & Robots.
Old 14th December 2022, 21:13     #43555
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

I realized that for me, there's no such thing as "drinking in moderation". After the first drink, any sensibility goes out the window, and I just wanted to keep drinking. Not every time would I turn into a rambling idiot, but it was often enough.

That was a month ago. I've been sober since. I went to Guns N Roses on Saturday night, didn't feel the need to drink, and especially didn't feel the need to pay $10 for a can of Heineken or whatever it was. $120/dozen, no thank you. I got assigned "sober driver" role, and my sister got to have a good time.

Hopefully I can make it through Xmas without "just having one" and 2023 won't start off with a continued Christmas binge until about May.

Edit: Also the net over my strawberry plants caught a bird, which was good. Bastards, stop eating them. I left his corpse as a reminder for the others.

Last edited by DrTiTus : 14th December 2022 at 21:16.
Old 14th December 2022, 21:29     #43556
Cyberbob

You and me both mate. I've gone without a drink since August or so, and it's been good.

Dr Alex George (UK's Ambassador for Mental Health) made a post on Instagram today that 100% resonated with me.

I'm happy to not drink but holy shit the looks I get if I'm in the office at 4pm on a Friday, when I say I'm fine with a soda.
Old 15th December 2022, 08:25     #43557
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
I realized that for me, there's no such thing as "drinking in moderation". After the first drink, any sensibility goes out the window, and I just wanted to keep drinking. Not every time would I turn into a rambling idiot, but it was often enough.

That was a month ago. I've been sober since. I went to Guns N Roses on Saturday night, didn't feel the need to drink, and especially didn't feel the need to pay $10 for a can of Heineken or whatever it was. $120/dozen, no thank you. I got assigned "sober driver" role, and my sister got to have a good time.

Hopefully I can make it through Xmas without "just having one" and 2023 won't start off with a continued Christmas binge until about May.

Edit: Also the net over my strawberry plants caught a bird, which was good. Bastards, stop eating them. I left his corpse as a reminder for the others.
Recommend rocking up to a bjj gym. There are plenty of IT spergs, cops, criminals, and former addicts rolling together there.
Old 15th December 2022, 08:36     #43558
wazza
*flex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
That was a month ago. I've been sober since.
That's great news, keep going!
Old 15th December 2022, 15:17     #43559
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Congrats. Giving up drinking for a while, even if temporarily, can have a big impact.
Old 15th December 2022, 19:42     #43560
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/horse-...E5XU5RTREG4IE/

Approximately 8% of jockeys in the sport of horse racing are women.

90% of the fatalities in the sport of horse racing happen in that 8%.

When female jockeys fall off horses, they die.