Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 5th July 2010, 18:28     #321
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
How is ethnicity relevant in this case?
Since when has actual relevance had anything to do with NZ News Reporting?

Basically someone thought it was vaguely interesting so it got included.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 5th July 2010, 18:32     #322
Lightspeed

Well, it is relevant to racists I suppose.
Old 5th July 2010, 18:42     #323
madmaxii

Fuck me Lightspeed - sensitive a bit aren't we?
Old 5th July 2010, 18:47     #324
CCS
Stunt Pants

That's the burden he bears, having the ability to empathise with absolutely any and every downtrodden citizen in the world.
Old 5th July 2010, 19:27     #325
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxii
To the media I am. The media is a core component of how cultural values get shifted between people, so subtle, creeping racism like that needs to be picked up on.

If that sort of thing becomes day-to-day, before you know it we'll be like the bloody Aussies.
Old 5th July 2010, 19:41     #326
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
If it were two white guys laughing, do you think Stuff would have mentioned their ethnicity?
Old 5th July 2010, 20:27     #327
madmaxii

Probably not, and then we would have assumed they were white guys.
Old 5th July 2010, 20:32     #328
SickBo@Work

Quote:
Well, it is relevant to racists I suppose.
http://crusader-rabbit.blogspot.com/...land-2010.html
Old 5th July 2010, 21:13     #329
fixed_truth

I had to laugh the other day listening to the radio news and instead of saying 'the offenders were described as Maori or PI' she said 'the offenders were probably Maori or PI'.
Old 5th July 2010, 21:49     #330
Lightspeed

o_O

Quote:
We would have?
Old 5th July 2010, 22:41     #331
MrTTTT

Quote:
To the media I am. The media is a core component of how cultural values get shifted between people.
And all this time I thought it was parents and schools
Old 6th July 2010, 00:11     #332
crocos

Quote:
Interesting. I wouldn't have even thought about race; just more that for shit like that they deserve to trade places with the biker.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 6th July 2010, 00:34     #333
Cyberbob

This will end well.

Border fears 'not racist': PM

PRIME Minister Julia Gillard is boldly inviting Australians to ''say what they feel'' in the asylum seeker debate without being constrained by self-censorship or political correctness.
Old 6th July 2010, 00:54     #334
TnT

I eagerly await the outcome of this brainfart.
Old 6th July 2010, 01:12     #335
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

So far Gillard is doing exactly what the Labor powerbrokers put her in office to do, which is to shore up support for Labor among the "Westie" suburbs of marginal electorates where Labor has been haemorrhaging votes - electorates where Joe Sixpack would be the first to remind you that he is not a racist.
Old 8th July 2010, 20:04     #336
cyc
Objection!

Very angry

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/lies-were-...707-100qj.html

After tasering a guy named Ali Akan, probably because he just LOOKS like a criminal (i.e. he's of the "wrong" race), members of the finest police force on planet earth (LOL LOL LOL) might have then deliberately spread shit about a magistrate who actually dared to uphold the law.

What a fucking joke Australia can be.
Old 8th July 2010, 20:51     #337
Cynos

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadinjector
spot the ginge
Fuck you're onto it. But now I gotta stab you. Fiery temper and all.
Old 8th July 2010, 20:54     #338
Cynos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I had some chick raving at me when Gillard became PM that this was a great day for egalitarianism in Australia. I replied "yeah, because white British lawyers have always had it so hard in this country".

But this decision in WA... it just boggles the mind. Actually, turns the stomach.
Just went and read it to try and explain more to my wife, and she had some valid questions, like -

Who entrusted him to these fellas - he was arrested by cops yeah?
Surely they'd transported people in their crapper before, was he the first? She wanted to know the cause, my reading is that it was really the fact that he was solo (in the all-metal box) with no aircon?
Were the third degree burns inflicted before he died? Doesn't specify if he was burnt before dying, or died and then was burnt.

And her last question: wtf, seriously Australia?
Old 8th July 2010, 21:55     #339
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

If you're genuinely interested and have 45 mins to spare, go here

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/speci...20090615/ward/

and click on "play" in the left column. ABC's Four Corners did a very good, very thorough, very I'M THE FUCKING GUNS OF THE NAVARONE furious-anger-inducing piece of journalism on Mr Ward's death.

(FYI if anyone's wondering, apparently Australian Aboriginals by custom do not refer to dead persons by their first names, so the victim in this case is always referred to as "Mr Ward")
Old 9th July 2010, 01:17     #340
doppelgänger of someone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
This will end well.

Border fears 'not racist': PM

PRIME Minister Julia Gillard is boldly inviting Australians to ''say what they feel'' in the asylum seeker debate without being constrained by self-censorship or political correctness.
Perhaps I am not connecting with the Australian psyche, but I just don't get why refugee is an election issue at all. My understanding is that they are NOT flooding Australia with refugees. It takes years to process those applications, and in the end refugees will only add a tiny percentage to annual migration numbers.

Is it REALLY because Australians are racists that this becomes an issue? Are the poll numbers really suggesting that Australians are concerned with this? Australian Red Cross says no.
Old 9th July 2010, 02:44     #341
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab

and click on "play" in the left column. ABC's Four Corners did a very good, very thorough, very I'M THE FUCKING GUNS OF THE NAVARONE furious-anger-inducing piece of journalism on Mr Ward's death.

(FYI if anyone's wondering, apparently Australian Aboriginals by custom do not refer to dead persons by their first names, so the victim in this case is always referred to as "Mr Ward")
What's the bet they're still using the same fucking vans? I just can't understand how it is possible that there haven't been criminal proceedings and ministerial dismissals over this.
Old 9th July 2010, 04:04     #342
TnT

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelgänger of someone
Is it REALLY because Australians are racists that this becomes an issue? Are the poll numbers really suggesting that Australians are concerned with this?
Short answer to your first question. Yes.

Second question, as far as the media is concerned? Yes.
Old 9th July 2010, 11:16     #343
Cyberbob

Quote:
Perhaps I am not connecting with the Australian psyche, but I just don't get why refugee is an election issue at all. My understanding is that they are NOT flooding Australia with refugees. It takes years to process those applications, and in the end refugees will only add a tiny percentage to annual migration numbers.
25 years to fill the MCG with the current refugee intake numbers according to opposition leaders afaik.
Old 9th July 2010, 12:46     #344
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Are the poll numbers really suggesting that Australians are concerned with this?
Yes - or, to be more specific, the poll numbers suggest that working-class voters in marginal seats that either party could win or lose are concerned with this. That means we have a situation where BOTH parties are trumpeting a line of "We're tougher on refugees than the other party is! Vote for us! But we are not racists!"

"No, WE'RE tougher! Vote for us! But we are not racists!"
Old 9th July 2010, 13:44     #345
Fitz

Anyone who comes to Australia as a refugee, will almost certainly be non white/European, so playing the "Racist" card is fucking ridiculous. There are real and genuine issues to be concerned with, security of the existing residents in addition to some hefty financial considerations.

Whenever someone objects to the country taking on these "liabilities", and placing additional burden on the system; they are automatically deemed racist simply because the people in question are of another race. It is the word of choice for people with a narrow, one dimensional view, their brains short out and "hey we are white and they are yellowy brown and our government won't just hand out millions of dollars to them on the benefit for years to come, provide them with tax funded housing, educate them, allow their families to come, recruit and pay additional Police to manage additional crime so they must be racist!".
Old 9th July 2010, 13:53     #346
cyc
Objection!

BECAUSE SINCE THESE GUYS ARE OF A DIFFERENT COLOUR, THEY MUST BE DANGEROUS!

Fitz, go back to your hole.
Old 9th July 2010, 13:55     #347
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Australia has obligations to protect the human rights of all asylum seekers and refugees who arrive in Australia, regardless of how or where they arrive, and whether they arrive with or without a visa.

As a party to the Refugee Convention, Australia has agreed to ensure that people who meet the definition of refugee under the Convention are not sent back to a country where their life or freedom would be threatened. This is known as the principle of non-refoulement.

In addition, Australia has obligations not to return people who face a real risk of violation of their human rights under the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (articles 6 and 7) and the Convention Against Torture (article 3), even if they do not meet the definition of refugee under the Refugee Convention. The Convention on the Rights of the Child also requires Australia to provide special protection and assistance to refugee children and children seeking asylum in Australia.
http://www.hreoc.gov.au/human_rights...rs.html#rights
Old 9th July 2010, 14:35     #348
Cynos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab

Cheers man... need to figure out how to rip the stream to take home to my wife.
Old 9th July 2010, 14:38     #349
cyc
Objection!

WANNABE LAWYER!
Old 9th July 2010, 14:41     #350
Cynos

Holy shit. >_< That former Minister ducks and dives and avoids responsibility like crazy.
Old 9th July 2010, 14:47     #351
Fitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
BECAUSE SINCE THESE GUYS ARE OF A DIFFERENT COLOUR, THEY MUST BE DANGEROUS!
They should be treated as dangerous until assessed otherwise. Your hard wired racist brain is struggling to separate the issue from skin colour.
Old 12th July 2010, 11:41     #352
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz
They should be treated as dangerous until assessed otherwise. Your hard wired racist brain is struggling to separate the issue from skin colour.
A white South African is seeking asylum. Reckon he'd have the same hard time?
Old 12th July 2010, 13:31     #353
Cynos

Quote:
I love how all the white Saffas move to Brown's Bay. Actually, wtf is with Auckland and it's nation-based ghettos? Everyone willingly segregrates, it's bizarre.
Old 12th July 2010, 13:42     #354
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Quote:
Obviously a danger to society - think of all the people he might headbutt!
Old 12th July 2010, 13:44     #355
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynos
I love how all the white Saffas move to Brown's Bay. Actually, wtf is with Auckland and it's nation-based ghettos? Everyone willingly segregrates, it's bizarre.
Birds of a feather...
Old 12th July 2010, 13:56     #356
David

Let's see.

Profiling is used to determine the level of threat to society a person will be if they're granted refugee status and whether or not they can be successfully acclimated.

All socio economic statistics regarding black people world wide are lower and indicate harder times to integrate in new communities..

Therefore.. would a black person have a harder time gaining refugee status than a white person? You bet your ass. Why? Because of the statistics.

If that's racist? Blame math.
Old 12th July 2010, 14:29     #357
fixed_truth

It's funny that the dopey 'every Muslim is a terrorist crowd' are the first to cry racism if Maori are offered something like a free diabetes test.
Old 12th July 2010, 14:47     #358
CCS
Stunt Pants

Maoris get a free diabetes test? Did they claim that under the Treaty or something? My little toe is part Maori, can I get a diabetes test for free? Or can only my little toe get a partial test, partially for free?
Old 12th July 2010, 14:50     #359
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Let's see.

Profiling is used to determine the level of threat to society a person will be if they're granted refugee status and whether or not they can be successfully acclimated.

All socio economic statistics regarding black people world wide are lower and indicate harder times to integrate in new communities..

Therefore.. would a black person have a harder time gaining refugee status than a white person? You bet your ass. Why? Because of the statistics.

If that's racist? Blame math.
Profiling isn't taken into account when giving refugee status to refugee's.
Old 12th July 2010, 14:55     #360
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

It must be awesome to be a child born in a detention centre. I mean, you're obviously a badass to be a dangerous threat to The State from birth.