NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 4th April 2022, 10:26     #201
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Looking more and more like Putin has given the order for Ukraine to be liquidated:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...source=twitter
Old 4th April 2022, 11:23     #202
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

A-raping we will go

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...war-in-ukraine
Old 5th April 2022, 11:37     #203
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Zelenskyy five weeks ago on the day before the invasion, Zelenskyy yesterday visiting the Bucha mass graves

Old 5th April 2022, 12:25     #204
_indigo1

Yeah that's harsh. Still not going grey though.

I can't believe it has gotten this bad and the world is just doing nothing (other than sanctions) . The world hasn't stood up and said NOT ON MY WATCH.

By this bad, I mean it's gone from a war to straight genocide. There's not even any question of motives or if the invasion is justified in any twisted way any more. It's a human catastrophe.

I mean, I get it - Russia has nukes.

It just makes you consider what would have happened if Germany had gotten nukes ready in time in WWII.

(disclaimer: yes, and that nations are addicted to RU energy is a factor)
Old 6th April 2022, 16:26     #205
Lightspeed

The problem with this war is it's exactly what the US and the UN left the door open to with the war in Iraq. Obviously the US has a long history of inappropriate behaviour in sovereign nations. But much of that was at the sub-state level and also some time ago, when everyone was pretty much getting up to that kind of business.

Any time the UN attempts to hold Russia accountable, Russia just needs to start rolling out the atrocities that occurred in Iraq. How many hundreds of thousands of civilians dead?

And with the West's long history of colonialism and racism, any attempts to differentiate can be written off as just another colonial story. When the West does it, it's fine, when it's anyone else, it's the act of monsters.

We've always got a special reason that justifies our acts, the atrocities. Putin is literally trolling the West with the name of his invasion.

This is what happens when you lose moral authority.
Old 6th April 2022, 18:08     #206
Lightspeed

Dammit, I was gonna use this meme, but forgot.
Old 7th April 2022, 00:40     #207
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Whoa whoa WHAT THE FUCK

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1511664812719235073
Old 7th April 2022, 11:56     #208
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I'd trust but verify. Ukraine are 100% crushing it with information warfare. And as old lolspeed says 'who cares about facts'

HOW GOOD ARE FACTS!!??!!
Old 7th April 2022, 13:14     #209
MadMax
Stuff

The vehicle exists. Google for "(812) 230 08-75". Looks to be used for livestock.

The question is if it has been brought into Ukraine and if so its purpose
Old 7th April 2022, 17:24     #210
Lightspeed

There was talk early on about the Russians bringing in mobile crematoriums to hide troop causalities. But who really knows.

There was a report interviewing a Ukrainian who had stayed in a region with the Russian occupiers, she commented how soldier's stopped her at gunpoint while providing milk for a neighbour. Her report was they asked about her husband, then went and talked on the radio. One soldier says to the other "this isn't her" and they let her go.

Which seems typical of an approach to genocide. Identifying certain civilians for execution, which is easier manage and hide than wholesale murder.
Old 7th April 2022, 18:45     #211
Lightspeed

Interview of Petraeus from mid March:

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/03/15/o...gen/index.html
Old 8th April 2022, 02:10     #212
Lightspeed

Germany has satellite image indication of Russian involvement in Bucha killings -security source

Quote:
German news magazine Der Spiegel reported that the intelligence agency had intercepted radio messages from Russian military sources discussing the killing of civilians in Bucha.
Old 8th April 2022, 13:55     #213
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Tell me that this doesn't scare the shit out of you.

Quote:
“Ukrainianism is an artificial anti-Russian construct that has no civilisational substance of its own, a subordinate element of an extraneous and alien civilisation,” wrote a RIA Novosti columnist earlier this week. The “re-education” of Ukraine could take a generation, he wrote, adding that “besides the highest ranks, a significant number of common people are also guilty of being passive Nazis and Nazi accomplices”.

Even the name Ukraine must be erased, the article argued.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...nocidal-streak
That thing that we all said "never again" about? Yeah, it's happening again.
Old 8th April 2022, 14:28     #214
crocos

Pink Floyd reunite with Andriy Khlyvnyuk (BoomBox) filling in for Syd.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 8th April 2022, 14:35     #215
Lightspeed

Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Tell me that this doesn't scare the shit out of you.
Yeah, that's genocide, with no extra steps.
Old 10th April 2022, 14:55     #216
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Public service announcement. If any of you are sent an intriguing link with text inviting you to view A VIDEO THAT WILL SHOCK YOU, please be aware that early this morning a clip started circulating on the shittiest bits of the Internet that appears to be a Russian soldier raping a very small child. Do not click.
Old 11th April 2022, 09:15     #217
blynk

Thanks for the heads up. I don't usually click these anyway because they are either
1 - Really lame clickbait shit
2 - Scam/dodgy shit
3 - Would really be shocking and I have no interest in that shit.
Old 13th April 2022, 02:28     #218
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
London: War crimes investigators have uncovered horrific cases of sexual violence committed by Russian troops in Ukraine, including women and girls kept in a Bucha basement for 25 days. Ukraine’s official ombudsman for human rights, Lyudmyla Denisova, says nine of them are now pregnant.

In other cases, she said a 14-year-old girl was pregnant after being raped by five men and that an 11-year-old boy was raped in front of his mother as she was tied to a chair. She also claimed a 20-year-old woman was raped by “three occupiers in all possible ways at once” in the Kyiv suburb of Irpin, which Russian forces partially occupied.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/...12-p5actf.html
Old 14th April 2022, 13:28     #219
Ajax
Architeuthis

There are reports the Russian Black Sea fleet flagship, the cruiser Moskva, has been heavily damaged (possibly sunk) by Ukrainian anti-ship missiles. Ouch
Old 14th April 2022, 15:04     #220
Lightspeed

The US are delivering some serious weapon systems to Ukraine. The counter-battery radar systems might at least protect cities Putin can't take from simply being levelled.
Old 14th April 2022, 16:19     #221
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax
There are reports the Russian Black Sea fleet flagship, the cruiser Moskva, has been heavily damaged (possibly sunk) by Ukrainian anti-ship missiles. Ouch
Perhaps the Russian warship fucked itself!
Old 14th April 2022, 16:25     #222
Lightspeed

Despite a lot of talk of this being evidence of the advanced weapons Ukraine are fielding, I think it's more likely it's an old, inadequately maintained ship finally having the catastrophic failure that more than a few Russian sailors saw coming.
Old 14th April 2022, 16:57     #223
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Advanced weapons aren't even necessary. 20 years ago the Millennium Challenge 2002 wargame proved that capital ships are floating coffins. A billion-dollar cruiser or carrier against 999 $20 air or water drones and one $10,000 explosive drone is a win for the drones.

sorry I forgot that the first rule of Millennium Challenge 2002 is that the US Navy has ordered us not to talk about what happened during Millennium Challenge 2002
Old 15th April 2022, 16:29     #224
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Despite a lot of talk of this being evidence of the advanced weapons Ukraine are fielding, I think it's more likely it's an old, inadequately maintained ship finally having the catastrophic failure that more than a few Russian sailors saw coming.
The fact that Russian talking heads have been threatening retaliation against Kiev on state TV suggests it wasn’t an accident.
Old 15th April 2022, 16:57     #225
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

The flagship of the Black Sea fleet going down is quite the bloody nose.
Old 15th April 2022, 18:28     #226
pxpx

https://www.youtube.com/c/Taskandpurpose

Despite being a bit "youtube-y" this guy has been putting out some really interesting content focusing on the military dynamics at play, covers a range of topics to russian military doctrine, specific weapons systems and tactics that have been effective etc etc.
Old 16th April 2022, 02:40     #227
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax
The fact that Russian talking heads have been threatening retaliation against Kiev on state TV suggests it wasn’t an accident.
I've heard Russia is threatening Ukraine with war. (Seriously.)
Old 16th April 2022, 05:43     #228
Ajax
Architeuthis

Yeah, a war declaration does seem absurd. It enables them to justify full mobilisation and conscription.
Old 16th April 2022, 16:18     #229
Lightspeed

I suppose Putin has a few different options for how to spin the failure of the Special Operation.

I have to wonder if the sinking of the Moscow will galvanise Russian military leaders for the cause against Ukraine, or only increase the doubt they have in the actual competence of their forces.
Old 16th April 2022, 23:12     #230
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I'm sure that in Russia there's no mention of a flagship sinking, it will be an innovative new multi-mode naval operation demonstrating above-water / below-water transition capabilities.
Old 19th April 2022, 11:01     #231
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
sorry I forgot that the first rule of Millennium Challenge 2002 is that the US Navy has ordered us not to talk about what happened during Millennium Challenge 2002
That was a good read - ta.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 30th April 2022, 02:39     #232
Lightspeed

Putin confirms Bali G20 attendance with Jokowi
Old 30th April 2022, 08:01     #233
MadMax
Stuff

Would be a great opportunity for everyone to say we don't need Putin's carbon shit.

Could also be the ultimate peace talk
Old 1st May 2022, 15:55     #234
Trigga*happY

Could also be a good time to clap the bastard in irons and try him for war crimes! Yeah I know, but one can dream.
Old 3rd May 2022, 20:51     #235
Lightspeed

Came across this video from a lifetime ago in Ukraine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnSKSPwKzDE

Skip to 2:10 for the fun bit. Feels real sad tho for some reason.
Old 8th May 2022, 18:06     #236
Lightspeed

Playing poker with a Russian last night. He came to NZ 4ish years ago. Community type, manages a local soccer team, goes with his kids to sea scouts, etc.

He says he saw the writing on the wall, figured he better get out. Whether he really saw something or it was a lucky guess, we conceded his timing was impeccable.

He was chip lead when he lost consciousness.
Old 12th May 2022, 15:03     #237
Ajax
Architeuthis

I recently saw images of a T-72 turret lodged in the kitchen and dining room of an 8th floor apartment.

Old 13th May 2022, 07:40     #238
StN
I have detailed files

^^ Ahh - I'd heard the term “jack-in-the-box” flaw, and now it makes sense.
Old 13th May 2022, 08:49     #239
Native
I... err - F*ck It.

But the efficiency and cost-saving of one less crew member!

Think of the rubles we can stea... save for mother Russia!
Old 13th May 2022, 11:49     #240
_indigo1

I dunno - seems like three crew members in both cases?
Looking at the Russian drone construction, seems like more of a general design philosophy issue than a crew issue.

What was that old adage about the space pen vs pencil