User Name
Password

Old 20th August 2020, 16:25     #521
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Jesus, what's the deal here?

https://thespinoff.co.nz/society/20-...epentant-nazi/

Why are we giving the name and reputation of this member of the Waffen SS, literally a Nazi, a free pass? Did he just keep his head down and not say anything about trans rights, so he's good?
Holy fuck.

This nails it:

Quote:
Something is amiss when an actual Nazi living in Aotearoa is kid-gloved and celebrated, while a photo on social media of a political candidate impersonating Hitler at the age of 14 causes an uproar. It is an indictment on this country that there was no real reckoning with Huber’s past, but more than a touch of historical revisionism.
Old 29th August 2020, 10:49     #522
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Totally cool with literal Nazism, but we can’t say the magic syllables

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12360410
Old 29th August 2020, 11:22     #523
xor

If its a racial slur does that Make Malcolm X racist towards black people?

Imagine raising a little princess and sending them to a wealthy school such as St Cuth's? They are raising a bunch of feeble brittle spirited kids to become brittle spirited adults.
Old 29th August 2020, 11:38     #524
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

But the syllables do violence
Old 29th August 2020, 12:47     #525
Know me.

Completely bonkers. Most interesting times in history are full of death and racism.

Quote is probably this one. Used in the context of a racial slur against black people.

If the master's house caught on fire, the house Negro would fight harder to put the blaze out than the master would. If the master got sick, the house Negro would say, "What's the matter, boss, we sick?" We sick! He identified himself with his master, more than his master identified with himself. And if you came to the house Negro and said, "Let's run away, let's escape, let's separate," the house Negro would look at you and say, "Man, you crazy. What you mean, separate? Where is there a better house than this? Where can I wear better clothes than this? Where can I eat better food than this?" That was that house Negro. In those days he was called a "house nigger." And that's what we call them today, because we've still got some house niggers running around here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kf7fujM4ag
Old 29th August 2020, 12:58     #526
fixed_truth

I think that it's a bit more complex.

In considering context who gets to decide what context is okay to use it? Who gets to decide whether someones offense to the word, regardless of context, is valid?
Old 29th August 2020, 13:03     #527
Know me.

A second reflection on this quote is not the use of the word nigger but the substance of what Malcolm x was saying. It could be uncomfortable for the student if you put my stereotypes of the typical St Cuths classroom together with the person that might complain about the use of the word nigger.

I'd be offended being called a field nigger or uncle tom.
Old 29th August 2020, 15:55     #528
fixed_truth

Calling random people a slave is probably not a good idea

'Is that your slave?': Hamilton shop owner accused of racially vilifying Māori customer
Old 30th August 2020, 11:17     #529
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
I think that it's a bit more complex.

In considering context who gets to decide what context is okay to use it? Who gets to decide whether someones offense to the word, regardless of context, is valid?
Are you asking a rhetorical question? Nobody has the right to claim authority on any words, or what words can and cannot be uttered.

Last edited by xor : 30th August 2020 at 11:19.
Old 30th August 2020, 13:13     #530
fixed_truth

We do have laws around speech for example offensive language, naming people under name suppression, threatening people, slander, blackmail.
Old 30th August 2020, 13:49     #531
xor

Ah yes, the harmful digital Comms act. The law that has the capability of prosecuting those who spread rumours. How Orwellian.

Defamation, blackmail, breaching court orders belong in a very different bucket from a school lesson that quotes Malcolm X.
Old 30th August 2020, 14:24     #532
Lightspeed

Schools are Orwellian full stop.

But y'know, given the dramatic consequences of knowingly sharing false information in the digital age in some cases, I think that law is less than so.
Old 30th August 2020, 18:48     #533
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Black TV writer Walter Mosely once described an instance in which he was racially profiled by a white policeman who pulled him over and said "I stop all niggers in this neighbourhood".

So of course Mosely was hauled in front of the network's HR department for using the magic syllables. In his personal account of being the victim of racism.

For a local example of this silliness, see:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
This one time, Andy Haden accused the Crusaders Super Rugby franchise of having a "no darkies" selection policy that was deliberately excluding Maori and Pasifika players from leadership positions, so of course nothing happened to the Crusaders but Haden was cancelled for saying the word "darkies".
Old 30th August 2020, 19:13     #534
Lightspeed

Yeah. You're always going to find those who want to stomp on those they see beneath them finding whatever excuse they can to stomp. Such people are not the type to care about the appropriateness of the boot. Like school boards.
Old 4th September 2020, 11:40     #535
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

The magic syllables strike again

https://campusreform.org/?ID=15580
Old 4th September 2020, 11:45     #536
crocos

Huh. Was very clear in his diction: Nega. Similar to those infamously banned syllables, but very clearly NOT those syllables.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 4th September 2020, 11:50     #537
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Doesn’t matter what he said, it’s the violence suffered by the victims that matters
Old 4th September 2020, 11:57     #538
Cyberbob

zErO tOlErAnCe!
Old 4th September 2020, 12:48     #539
pxpx

Super glad to not be a student anymore and in no way will I be actively encouraging either of my boys to attend university (they are free to choose, whereas I faced significant pressure), if this is the kind of crap educators foist upon them.
Old 4th September 2020, 12:51     #540
Nich

Hah! I used to date a Taiwanese girl and would always have a giggle when the family talked in Mandarin. It's a word that stands out when you don't understand the language. And yes, it has about the same meaning as "Um" or "That"
Old 4th September 2020, 12:58     #541
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
Super glad to not be a student anymore and in no way will I be actively encouraging either of my boys to attend university (they are free to choose, whereas I faced significant pressure), if this is the kind of crap educators foist upon them.
You're in luck, Google is now offering "Career Certificates". Finally, an alternative to the woke agenda at universities!
https://www.inc.com/justin-bariso/go...ty-genius.html
Old 4th September 2020, 15:39     #542
fixed_truth

I haven't seen much evidence of this type of thing in NZ apart from that Don Brash Massy Uni thing a few years ago.
Old 4th September 2020, 20:18     #543
xor

https://www.coon.com.au/en/our-history

The best cheese is coon cheese
Old 4th September 2020, 21:57     #544
Know me.

Nothing worse than the smell of coons.
Old 5th September 2020, 14:19     #545
Trigga*happY

When did the word "Black" come back into fashion as a racial descriptor? A decade ago and much more recently it had fallen to almost the level of the N word. People would fall over themselves trying to find the right ethnic descriptor, "african american", "polynesian" etc. Seeing it come back to the spotlight has been somewhat jarring in todays climate. Headlines stating Black Man, Black woman did this, or had this happen. I personally fear that pushing the distinction so blatantly is aggravating seperatism and segregation in a climate where recognition and solidarity would appear to be the way forward. Maybe I'm backward here, happy to be enlightened.
Old 5th September 2020, 14:21     #546
Lightspeed

I don't know, but I wish we wouldn't make out like the US's bullshit is our bullshit.
Old 5th September 2020, 15:55     #547
Cyberbob

As long as it's a verb and not a noun.

"The black men" versus "The Blacks."
Old 5th September 2020, 18:35     #548
Trigga*happY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
I don't know, but I wish we wouldn't make out like the US's bullshit is our bullshit.
Understand the sentiment, but in a global information society such as we are experiencing, it's reasonable to assume there is going to be spillover, especially when the subject is one that is a problem for both countries.
Old 5th September 2020, 21:58     #549
BoyWonder

Cunning linguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
As long as it's a verb and not a noun.

"The black men" versus "The Blacks."
Adjective
Old 6th September 2020, 02:16     #550
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Worth it for the headline alone

Professor Placed on Leave after Black Students Complained His Pronunciation of a Chinese Word Affected Their Mental Health

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/...mental-health/
Old 6th September 2020, 08:02     #551
StN
I have detailed files

^^ Ahh - now I understand a discussion on Reddit where a chap was saying that he would keep hearing *that* word when visiting his Asian girlfriend's parents house, and indicted it was a Mandarin filler word.
Old 6th September 2020, 12:26     #552
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyWonder
Adjective
haha fuck. Rookie mistake. Now to figure out what 'blacking' is. It doesn't sound good.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 6th September 2020 at 12:28.
Old 6th September 2020, 22:01     #553
Nich

I think Justin Trudeau partakes in "Blacking"
Old 11th September 2020, 12:16     #554
fixed_truth

Lecturer who posted 'insensitive' online comments leaving Canterbury uni
Oh no it's happening in NZ, oh wait no it's not. Good job
Old 11th September 2020, 14:24     #555
xor

I guess half of the users from nzgames should be fired based on their post history as well eh?

Especially Since Rince aka SLUTS guy
Old 11th September 2020, 15:27     #556
fixed_truth

Yeah I guess so. If nzgames was a public forum, and they did so recently, and while disclosing their full name & workplace, and it was equivalent to suggesting beneficiaries should kill themselves. Then yeah.
Old 11th September 2020, 16:04     #557
xor

So this turkey wrote some outlandish shit about people on the dole, was there anything more to it? Are people taking this literally? Should they? Is there room allowed for exaggeration, nuance, context? What did this turkey mean when he said that beneficiaries should kill themselves? why isn't this explained in the article?

Who gets to decide who keeps and who loses their job? The court of public opinion? People on the left? People on the right?

Who gets to define what is deemed insensitive? If someone yells 'fuck John Key' Should they be dragged up to the court of public opinion and fired for something they said in 2013?
Old 11th September 2020, 16:31     #558
fixed_truth

A lot of it seems to be about how much of a platform this person has to spread their harmful messages.

But to answer your question whether someone is moved on I suppose it is ultimately decided by their employer (on the basis of the employees negative public actions negatively effecting their business). Of course the employee could appeal this.

But behind that decision, yeah, public opinion (or a vocal group) are influencing the employers decisions.
Old 11th September 2020, 16:39     #559
xor

Sounds very tribal
Old 11th September 2020, 17:16     #560
Lightspeed

I guess having standards of character has some tribal elements and can be used to exclude "the wrong sort". I don't think that's "very" tribal, the alternative being to abandon standards of character for people in jobs where character matters.