Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 18th February 2010, 17:35     #20001
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
The Government suggesting that Radio NZ Concert should get commercial sponsorship really fuckin' grinds my gears.
Fuck fuck fuck!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...io-New-Zealand
Old 18th February 2010, 17:38     #20002
crocos

Southern Cross from midday Saturday

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 18th February 2010, 17:55     #20003
Nich

Quote:
John Key is not my homie.
Old 18th February 2010, 20:14     #20004
BoyWonder

OMG what's the world coming to?
Old 18th February 2010, 21:34     #20005
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed_Quint
Um tommorow morn through to sunday. Deff keen to get on the piss with you chaps, though i'm a little scared, what if you don't accept me *tear*.

Doing the Homegrown thing.
I'm taking photos at Homegrown, look out for me and I'll make you faymus
Old 18th February 2010, 21:48     #20006
Markh

Quote:
Wait - I'm paying for that radio station through my taxes? Even though I don't listen to it and to be honest - don't give a fuck about it?

That Grinds my Gears!
Old 18th February 2010, 21:59     #20007
Lightspeed

You think you live independent and separate from people who do listen to it and do give a fuck? You think that everyone enjoys the benefits you receive at the tax payers expense?

I can appreciate you not caring about the service, but I can't understand you thinking that it's only acceptable that tax payer money be spent on things you personally benefit from. Well, I could understand that, but you've never struck me as that sort of person.

Or are you just taking the piss?
Old 18th February 2010, 22:17     #20008
BoyWonder

Actually I'd be happier if that money went to people who care for the disabled, or provided more computers in primary schools in Southland, or went towards an initiative to train up people on the dole.

The last time I recall someone saying "fuck fuck fuck" in response to something the second plane had just hit the World Trade Center and it was pretty clear the world would not be the same again. RNZ will have ads... are you going to be OK?
Old 18th February 2010, 23:05     #20009
Lightspeed

So you're against any money being spent on non-critical things, such as sports, recreation and culture? If that's your point of view, I understand. Otherwise do you have a specific justification why RNZ shouldn't be funded when it's a core part of NZ culture for a lot of people?

And there are plenty of trained up people on the dole who would love a job.
Old 18th February 2010, 23:07     #20010
Lightspeed

Btw, many people who are disabled also enjoy RNZ. It's more than just a radio station for a lot of people, it's a way they can connect to the country, without being harassed by advertising.
Old 19th February 2010, 00:30     #20011
Markh

Quote:
Or are you just taking the piss?
You gotta know that is always a possibility. TBH my tax money gets spent in way worse ways than on a radio station.
Old 19th February 2010, 00:32     #20012
[WanG] Wandarah

Radio New Zealand is the only public broadcaster in NZ left. Surely even apathetic NZ gives a shit about this?
Old 19th February 2010, 07:32     #20013
Delphinus

Leave it ad free. I get enough advertisements *everywhere* else in life.
Old 19th February 2010, 08:40     #20014
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyWonder
The last time I recall someone saying "fuck fuck fuck" in response to something the second plane had just hit the World Trade Center and it was pretty clear the world would not be the same again. RNZ will have ads... are you going to be OK?
Geez, you mustn't get out much. I hear people say "fuck fuck fuck" all the time.. Furrycrew at LANs, my wife when the Warriors lose etc etc.
Old 19th February 2010, 11:11     #20015
BoyWonder

Sorry I don't tend to hang out watching league with your wife (not that I'm aware of), and someone saying fuck fuck fuck at a LAN is pretty much background noise really. Is that your definition of getting out? Geez.
Old 19th February 2010, 11:24     #20016
Lightspeed

They seemed more like examples of everyday scenarios rather than a definition of getting out.
Old 19th February 2010, 11:32     #20017
BoyWonder

Thank you - my three scenarios were just examples too but you took them as gospel - or at least a representation of a group conveniently lacking in recreational / cultural situations to fit your response.

I guess it does come down to personal taste really and ultimately a popularity contest for or against RNZ - providing that enough political pressure reverses that situation. Personally I think it is just a sign of the times really and if there was plenty of money going around then fine, full funding all the way - but there isn't.
Old 19th February 2010, 11:58     #20018
Lightspeed

o_O

Wtf are you talking about? Speak plainly.
Old 19th February 2010, 11:58     #20019
gentle

Quote:
Otherwise do you have a specific justification why RNZ shouldn't be funded when it's a core part of NZ culture for a lot of people?
It's not really a _lot_ of people though is it; concert has a cumulative audience of 132,000 people a week (4% of all people 15+) to Sept 09. National has a listenership of about 495,000 (15% AP15+) and combined the two channels have an audience of 553,000. I think it's justified for the National radio channel, but concert needs to start pulling its weight because it's genre based - it's not like we have a drum and bass equivalent.
Old 19th February 2010, 12:04     #20020
Lightspeed

I think 4% isn't a bad slice of the population, in this context. I guess it might depend on what proportion of RNZ's budget gets spent on Concert. You're right, Concert is by and large genre based (although it's a lot more varied than many probably realise) however it is a very specific genre with strong roots in our culture and history.
Old 19th February 2010, 16:51     #20021
Nich

word from a RNZ insider is that there are no plans to commercialize now or within the current term.
Old 19th February 2010, 17:23     #20022
Lightspeed

That's good news. Although I am still concerned some of the RNZ staff may lose their jobs, or night time programming might be stopped.
Old 19th February 2010, 23:54     #20023
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

Lost my keys tonight, absolutely frustrated. I never lose anything.

Grr.
Old 20th February 2010, 00:24     #20024
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

whoa. just had my keys returned to me, my mates 9 yr old daughter found them in the couch?

all is well.
Old 20th February 2010, 09:07     #20025
Cyberbob

CRISIS AVERTED
Old 20th February 2010, 09:34     #20026
p01s0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrick
Lost my keys tonight, absolutely frustrated. I never lose anything.

Grr.
virgin spotted
Old 20th February 2010, 10:13     #20027
A Corpse
talkative lurker

Crocos joke!
Old 20th February 2010, 11:34     #20028
Juju
get to da choppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrick
whoa. just had my keys returned to me, my mates 9 yr old daughter found them in the couch?

all is well.

Reminds me of when I went to one of the bays a year or so ago when we had that massive storm. Went to take photos of all the waves in shit, and was walking around the bay, which was entirely covered by like a foot of sea foam. Got back to my car, did the lost keys haka. fuckfuckfuck. After a couple of hours searching gave in and called the tow truck. He came, hooked the car up and I was sitting in the cab doing the payment thing when a little girl came up and asked if I had lost my keys, of which she had in her hand. She found them near a bench I sat at (and had looked over several times).
Still had to pay the towie though, damnit.
Old 20th February 2010, 12:26     #20029
IoriDyson

crazy motherfucking drunk racist's yelling at people in parks.
Old 21st February 2010, 17:55     #20030
JiggaRoll
For the Horo

Took car to get a service and a warrant last Thursday. Needed two new tyres to get warrant so I said go ahead.

Friday morning one of the new tyres is flat so I take it back and they say opps must not have sealed properly or something. Walk out this morning and both new tyres are flat.

Fucking great.
Old 21st February 2010, 18:20     #20031
Markh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiggaRoll
Friday morning one of the new tyres is flat so I take it back and they say opps must not have sealed properly or something. Walk out this morning and both new tyres are flat.

Fucking great.
Sounds like a good place to get tyres done!
Old 21st February 2010, 20:17     #20032
A Corpse
talkative lurker

Name and shame.
Old 21st February 2010, 20:33     #20033
Lightspeed

Quote:
Took car to get a service and a warrant last Thursday. Needed two new tyres to get warrant so I said go ahead.

Fucking great.
You know, we're not indexed on google any more, you can name the joint.
Old 21st February 2010, 21:50     #20034
chiQ
Frag-muff

Quote:

Fucking great.
I know it isn't funny for you, but the series of events is pretty comical. It sounds like a Mr Bean scenario...if he was the guy fitting the tyres.

Ask for your money back. They have wasted so much of your time it would be fair enough.
Old 21st February 2010, 22:42     #20035
p01s0n

10 bucks on tonys
Old 21st February 2010, 23:18     #20036
Jamiepo

My money would be on them too. A friend of mine went to get a slow leak fixed and came back 3 hours later with 4 new tyres and an alignment even though I had got her car a warrant 3 weeks prior.
GG preying on people with little or no mechanical experience.
Old 22nd February 2010, 08:41     #20037
lektronimo

Quote:

Fucking great.
I had the same problem a few years back, some place in Browns Bay in Auckland. Thankfully, I could drive it 200m from my work and get it done again.
Old 22nd February 2010, 10:00     #20038
JiggaRoll
For the Horo

Won't name and shame just yet, thought I'd give them a chance to rectify the situation.

They have replaced the two tyres with a brand new set from a different manufacturer so will see how it goes.

Pain in the ass though as it isn't the normal tyre place I use but as I was getting a service etc done thought I might as well get the tyres done at the same time as the price was pretty similar.
Old 22nd February 2010, 10:52     #20039
blynk

Do Tonys do WOF?
It sounds like a place that does WOF & Tyres. Dodgy Fks.

I will always take my car to a WOF station.
Old 22nd February 2010, 11:27     #20040
dylan
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
Do Tonys do WOF?
It sounds like a place that does WOF & Tyres. Dodgy Fks.

I will always take my car to a WOF station.
I've had bad experiences with both.

You're pretty much screwed unless you're either a) rich or b) know a good mechanic who doesn't harbor secret desires to steal all your money