Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 26th June 2023, 15:42     #681
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax
Wagner appears to be turning around and heading home. Not sure what the point of that was. Just another bizarre day in Russia.
I think it's something like: Putin and team decide Wagner is to be liquidated, Prigozhin plays the only hand he's got, which lasted as long as it took for the FSB to take pics with his family.

China pipes up "we'll help too" once it's clear there's no major uprising.
Old 27th June 2023, 10:38     #682
Savage

Unconfirmed video footage of Russian military personnel who tried to join Wagner being executed as traitors currently doing the rounds.
Old 27th June 2023, 10:50     #683
blynk

I was starting to wonder what Mike from breaking bad was doing in Russia
Old 28th June 2023, 23:58     #684
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Russian friend asking me if Joe Biden was going to be removed from the Presidency because that's what the media is telling her. I explained that yes, he is a criminal, but it's a criminal-run country now. That some from the West like Putin perhaps more than the Russians do because he stands against homos and the sickness we put up with in the name of "progressive" politics. *shakes head*

The Ukrainians were cocky for a day, but have slunk back into their day to day routine of hating Russians and living miserably. They also hate homos too, so no matter who wins, they won't. Pidoras hahah.

That's all we have so far. A glimmer of hope, and a bunch of numpties that support whoever is in power because the news. And they're also pidoras.
Old 5th July 2023, 19:40     #685
Lightspeed

There is altogether far too much chatter about false flag attacks on nuclear power plants for my liking right now. :/
Old 6th July 2023, 10:24     #686
StN
I have detailed files

^^^ All the reactors are in cold shutdown though, so worst case would be some radiation leakage via explosive debris, but probably containable with an exclusion zone. Next to a waterway may be problematic, but with wind patterns being predominantly easterly, they would blow the nasties towards Russia.

Not great, not terrible...

BUT if it is Kyiv issuing some FUD and they then shell the place, hmmm.
Old 7th July 2023, 16:31     #687
Lightspeed

Apparently Prigozhin is back in Russia. 🤷

I don't like the suggestion he's gotten his hands on a live nuke, as unlikely as that is. (Right? Right?)
Old 9th July 2023, 15:15     #688
Lightspeed

US official says 'exiled' Wagner boss Prigozhin may not have gone to Belarus at all

Quote:
An unnamed Pentagon official told The New York Times that Prigozhin has actually been in Russia — Moscow or St. Petersburg — for most of the time since the mutiny. The official also said it was unclear if Prigozhin ever went to Belarus, noting he is believed to employ body doubles.
It's fascinating how there are so many layers of propaganda and obfuscation here.
Old 15th July 2023, 14:18     #689
Lightspeed

Putin wants to attend an August summit. Host country South Africa doesn’t want to have to arrest him

Quote:
CAPE TOWN, South Africa (AP) — Russian President Vladimir Putin wants to attend an economic summit in South Africa next month and the country is desperately trying to persuade him to stay away to avoid the legal and diplomatic fallout over his international arrest warrant, South Africa’s deputy president said in an interview with a news website on Friday.

As a signatory to the treaty establishing the International Criminal Court, South Africa is obliged to arrest Putin on an indictment the court issued against the Russian leader in March for war crimes involving the abduction of children from Ukraine.

Moscow has dismissed the warrant. South African authorities are likely to breach the treaty and not arrest Putin, but some opposition parties, rights groups and legal activists have said he should be arrested and have threatened to do it themselves, raising security issues for the BRICS summit in Johannesburg.
Putin smearing his shit around. If he attends there's a message that he's willing to flaunt some norms, which will bring him some friends, but will also indicate what he's given up on.
Old 16th July 2023, 15:26     #690
Lightspeed

This is the closest thing to news I've found reporting on this:

Opposition Grows to U.S. Imports of Refined Russian Oil

Quote:
Human rights groups and Ukrainian officials want the United States to stop buying Russian crude oil that has been refined into other products in third countries like India.
Everything else is from Indian industry based publications:

https://thewire.in/political-economy...-crude-imports
Old 20th July 2023, 14:13     #691
Lightspeed

facepalm

Russia halts participation in Ukraine grain deal

Looks like the rise in food prices will continue unabated.
Old 12th August 2023, 11:49     #692
Lightspeed

Metro 2033 author Dmitry Glukhovsky sentenced to 8 years in prison for criticizing Russia's invasion of Ukraine
Old 24th August 2023, 08:15     #693
blynk

"Apparantly" the wagner boss was on a plane that crashed in Russia.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/world/496...ne-authorities
Old 24th August 2023, 08:27     #694
StN
I have detailed files

Even more curiously, a chap here at work that looks very similar to him called in that his daughter was sick and he may not be in today...

Nope - just saw him downstairs, so even though I have never seen them both in the same room, they may not be the same person.
Old 24th August 2023, 10:47     #695
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
"Apparantly" the wagner boss was on a plane that crashed in Russia.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/world/496...ne-authorities
I guess technically Prighozin could have fallen out of a window of the plane as it impacted the ground...?
Old 25th August 2023, 16:01     #696
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I guess technically Prighozin could have fallen out of a window of the plane as it impacted the ground...?
Or could not have even been in the plane in the first place.
Old 25th August 2023, 16:10     #697
BoyWonder

Chances Putin gave the order to bring the plane down, 100%

Chances Prigozhin was on the plane, ~90%

Last edited by BoyWonder : 25th August 2023 at 16:11.
Old 6th September 2023, 01:07     #698
Lightspeed

Cuba uncovers human trafficking of Cubans to fight for Russia in Ukraine
Old 6th September 2023, 19:50     #699
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
In late May, a Russia newspaper in Ryazan city reported that several Cuban citizens had signed contracts with Russia's armed forces and had been shipped to Ukraine in return for Russian citizenship.
I always do voluntary legal contracts when I perform human trafficking. Sounds more like mercenaries than "human trafficking". [Article does not support headline]

Anyway...

Ukraine has put out the call for extra mobilization, asking for women with medical experience, military academy training, and "partially able" men to sign up. My friends are either afraid to leave - even for a holiday ("I might get stolen" [taken hostage]), some are losing confidence in the Ukrainian government ("I thought we were fighting for freedom, but it turns out to be propaganda") or just stopped caring about the air raid sirens and ignore them and don't bother going to the shelters. It's been going on for too long, Ukraine clearly isn't winning, and if you aren't winning the war, you're losing the war. Russians aren't going through any of this, because it's not happening in their backyard. Nor are the Americans or any other NATO countries. Just the Ukrainians suffer and "millionaires are deciding who lives or dies" [their words, not mine]. They used to be fiercely anti-Russian, now they're conceding that people are people, and it's not about citizenship but who the fuck is making these stupid decisions about literal warfare. We've moved on from fighting stupid battles with 20 year old men, humanity has grown up - or at least I'd like to think so.

Cool that Cubans are helping Russia (or not), but Ukraine is running out of men.

You could say the Russian military operation has "failed" if you assume there is a specific concrete objective, but if slowly grinding the Ukrainian people into submission is an objective, you might say it's a success. Just my opinion of course, and I never supported actual warfare, so of course I have a bias.

But it's not a specific argument, just a report of what the Ukraine people are telling me. They're certainly not optimistic and gung-ho about going to fight Russians.
Old 8th September 2023, 13:50     #700
Lightspeed

Ukraine rips Elon Musk for disrupting sneak attack on Russian fleet with Starlink cutoff

Quote:
A Ukrainian official slammed SpaceX CEO Elon Musk for ordering engineers to shut off Starlink’s satellite network over Crimea in order to thwart a Ukrainian attack on Russian warships.
Old 9th September 2023, 20:18     #701
Cyberbob

The Ukrainians THOUGHT coverage was enabled all the way to Crimea, but it was not. They asked Musk to enable it for their drone sub attack on the Russian fleet. Musk did not enable it, because he thought, probably correctly, that would cause a major war.

Source: https://twitter.com/WalterIsaacson/s...42242290901361
Old 11th September 2023, 08:55     #702
sidbo
Raptus regaliter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
he thought, probably correctly
Let me stop you right there...
Old 23rd September 2023, 14:21     #703
Lightspeed

Russia temporarily bans fuel exports to most countries in response to shortages
Old 25th September 2023, 18:30     #704
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Canada's Speaker of the House praises Waffen-SS veteran, thanks him for his service. Which, presumably, was exterminating Jews.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ught-for-nazis

ok this shit is getting weird now.
Old 26th September 2023, 13:27     #705
Lightspeed

Yeah, do your due diligence before applauding WWII vets.
Old 26th September 2023, 14:10     #706
Cyberbob

Wow, that's like the "My grandfather died in a concentration camp. He fell out of a guard tower." joke, but in real life.
Old 26th September 2023, 14:40     #707
Lightspeed

This has got to be a huge blow to Russia's naval capacity, much more than taking out a sub and drydock:

Ukraine says Russia Black Sea Fleet commander killed; no comment by Moscow

Quote:
Ukraine's special forces said on Monday they had killed Moscow's top admiral in Crimea along with 33 other officers in last week's missile attack on the headquarters of Russia's Black Sea Fleet in the port of Sevastopol.

The Russian Defence Ministry did not immediately respond when asked by Reuters to confirm or deny that Admiral Viktor Sokolov, the commander of the Black Sea Fleet and one of Russia's most senior navy officers, had been killed.
Apparently intel was supplied by unpaid officers working with local partisans.

There's definitely a degree of hubris, naval leadership unable to help itself but meet in the most obvious, ostentatious location.
Old 26th September 2023, 17:47     #708
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Ouch. Hell hath no fury like a junior officer whose pay didn't turn up.
Old 26th September 2023, 22:08     #709
Lightspeed

Who knows the truth of any of it of course, but I'm interested to see how Putin is looking his next public outing. And how far off that is.
Old 27th September 2023, 11:06     #710
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Canadian Speaker of the House resigns

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/can...JW6DXRKFJIQNE/
Old 6th October 2023, 13:14     #711
Lightspeed

I don't really get why Putin is giving Zelensky such good ammunition by killing dozens of civilians shopping and mourning. Obviously there's a degree psychological damage that's inflicted, but the country is already steeled to send its children to die fighting the invaders.

Perhaps it's just Russian forces acting with a free hand, inflicting revenge attacks.

It's only going to further bolster resolve to support Ukraine.
Old 2nd December 2023, 12:12     #712
Lightspeed

Ukraine conducts new attack on Russian railway deep in Siberia

Quote:
Ukraine's domestic spy agency has detonated explosives on a Russian railway line deep in Siberia, the second attack this week on military supply routes in the area, a Ukrainian source told Reuters on Friday.

The incidents appear to show Kyiv's readiness and ability to conduct sabotage attacks deep inside Russia and disrupt Russian logistics far from the front lines of Moscow's 21-month-old war in Ukraine.

The source, who declined to be identified, said the explosives were detonated as a freight train crossed the Chertov Bridge in Siberia's Buryatia region, which borders Mongolia and is thousands of kilometres from Ukraine.

The train had been using a backup railway line after an attack on a nearby tunnel a day earlier caused trains to be diverted, the source said.
Old 13th December 2023, 11:44     #713
Lightspeed

Cyber warfare is producing some results:

Cyberattack hits Kyiv as Zelensky pitches U.S. for lifeline in war

Quote:
A large-scale cyberattack hit Ukraine on Tuesday, crippling Kyivstar, the country’s largest mobile phone provider, and knocking out service to more than 24 million subscribers both in the war-ravaged country and abroad, where millions have fled Russia’s invasion.

In some parts of the country, the loss of mobile phone and internet service cut off early-warning air raid systems used to alert citizens of imminent Russian missile and drone strikes. The cyberstrike also shut down some bank machines.
Ukrainian intelligence attacks and paralyses Russia's tax system

Quote:
Cyber units of Ukraine’s Defence Intelligence attacked the tax system of Russia and managed to destroy the entire database and its backup copies. The intelligence adds that Russia will not be able to resuscitate its tax system fully.
I wonder how significant the attacks on Russia's tax system really are.
Old 13th December 2023, 12:21     #714
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
I wonder how significant the attacks on Russia's tax system really are.
Episode #730 should drop later today - they will no doubt mention it.
Old 9th February 2024, 18:54     #715
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

I watched the Tucker Carlson interview of Putin.

Executive Summary: It's America's fault, if they stopped being dicks the war could end, and he has no intentions to invade other countries - that's a "boogeyman" story used to justify fleecing the taxpayers.

It's a long slow watch, and no bombshell revelations.
Old 9th February 2024, 19:47     #716
Cyberbob

The Interview 2.
Old 10th February 2024, 00:51     #717
Lightspeed

Laugh

@46 minutes, Putin roasts Tucker.
Old 10th February 2024, 22:17     #718
BoyWonder

I think Tucker just had a "never meet your hero" moment and it turned into him realising he was just a useful idiot getting a dictator's mad messages out to the world
Old 11th February 2024, 12:53     #719
Cyberbob

He's very familiar with being the useful idiot getting a dictator's mad messages out to the world, but this one was a little more intelligent than the last one he dealt with.
Old 7th March 2024, 13:55     #720
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Victoria Nuland to retire

Woman who interfered in Ukraine's affairs in 2014 has now decided she has had enough, and is stepping down.

I'm not sure if it's an indication/revelation of anything in particular (there's a chance she could be stepping down because her stupid idea to get Ukraine into a war with Russia doesn't seem to have achieved much except the downfall of the US and its international reputation), but I thought it was an interesting point in the timeline.